PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Naga and Centaur Playable Races

sharkster
2017-05-04, 10:09 PM
I'm a new dungeon master and I'm trying to design some new races for my campaign which takes places in a partially deserted region with a more heavily forested region above it. I've designed/co designed two new races (with subraces) for this campaign: the Naga and Centaur. (I understand that these exist to some degree already but I wanted an Player Version of the Races). I would love some critique on their balance, although I would like to try and keep the theme of each race and sub race consistent with their current theme.
Naga:
+2 to Dexterity,
Speed of 35
Resistance to Poison
Natural bite attack 1d4+STR, 1d4 poison damage, damages again on the next turn unless they succeed a DC12 Con Saving Throw
Proficiency with Scimitar, Net, Halberd, and Longbow
Languages: Common and Naga
Subraces: Boa Constrictor
The snake portion of your body is thicker than usual
+1 STR
Proficiency in Athletics
You lose poison on your bite attacks
You can grapple 1 opponent without a free hand, additionally any time you start your turn with someone grappled by your body you may have them automatically take your unarmed strike damage. Your base speed becomes 5 when grappling in this way.
Subrace: Cobra
You have a scaly hood that can be folded down
You have a scaly hood that can be folded down
+1 WIS
Your poison damage increases to 1d4 +1 per hit dice. The save on your poison becomes 14 and stays in the opponent's system until they make a successful Constitution save, damaging every turn. Once per day+your constitution modifier you can produce enough venom to fill a small vile, enough to coat a weapon or 2 arrows. Poison coated weapons apply poison on the next strike made with that weapon. The poison is colorless but smells and tastes sour.
Rattle Snake:
You have a rattle on your tail which can be used as a natural instrument in place of one normally used by bards, you have proficiency in the use of it, you are also longer than usual.
+1 CHA
You have proficiency in Intimidation and Preform(Dancing).
As an action you can attempt to inspire terror in an opponent using a combination of hissing and your rattle, this does not reveal your position although does reveal your presence. If they fail a wisdom save versus your intimidate check they are frightened for one round and you can make an immediate full attack with advantage. An opponent can only be frightened this way once per day, if they succeed in their save they can't be affected by this ability for a day. They must be within 30 feet of you and must be able to hear you.

Centaur:
+2 to STR
You have advantage on charge attacks
May not ride mounts
Speed of 40 feet
Proficiency with Longbow and Longsword
Proficiency in Knowledge Nature
Your carry weight is treated as if you were one size larger.
Languages: Common, Sylvan

Camel Centaur:
+1 to CON
Your speed is 30 ft.
Proficiency in Survival
You have advantage on Survival checks made in desert
Proficiency with Scimitar
You only have to drink once every week. Extra water is stored in your camel-like hump.
You may make a spit attack against an enemy as a bonus action. The enemy must make a DC 12 DEX save or be blinded for 1d4 rounds.
Languages: Naga

Deer Centaur:
+1 to CHA
Fey Ancestry
Proficiency in Medicine
Proficiency in Athletics(DEX), this proficiency is doubled when using it to jump
Your carry weight is as a Medium creature
You gain the ability to use the cantrip Minor Illusion at will. Charisma is your spellcasting ability.
Languages: Halfling

Horse Centaur:
+1 to WIS
Proficiency with Shortsword
Proficiency in Intimidation
When you make a charge attack, your enemy rolls a DC 10 +Your Strength+Your Proficiency CON save. If they fail, they are knocked prone and take 1d4+strength additional damage. They must be no more than one size larger than you to be effected by this.
You have advantage on Perception checks made on plains
Languages: Elven

Grizl' Bjorn
2017-05-04, 11:54 PM
Cool. I've had a look at the centaur races and here's my comments.

Balance issues

Camel's spit attack is way too powerful. I think it has to be at least one of "Only once per short rest" or "Full action"- probably both. As it stands spitting every round is a great strategy. Centaur's charge is also probably too powerful but I don't really know the horseback charge rules in general, and I'm not sure how having the character being the horse plays with charge balance, so take this with a grain of salt.

A bit too much in the way of features especially considering the value of movement speed. Even after nerfing the special attacks you probably want to knock off a bit off each of the subraces if you want to bring them down to the level of the half-elf (strongest core race other than variant human). My recomendation would be: take the shortsword profiency out of the horse centaur, make scimatar replace and not be in addition to longsword for the camel centaur, take medicine profiency off the deer centaur, Nerf the special attacks.

Overall this is nothing too serious. The special attacks is the main thing. So mechanically I think this is mostly there.

Other stuff

I really like this aesthetically.

Camels don't store water in their humps, they store food. Maybe you already know this, but just in case.

Put a section heading in for centaurs- it took me ages to work out where the centaur stats started, but that's probably just my fatigue addled brain.

PotatoGolem
2017-05-05, 09:02 AM
Two things stand out as being non-5e wording.

1. Charge attacks no longer exist. You need to define how this works.

2. Why is the Naga poison a set DC? Every other PC ability is 8+prof+stat