PDA

View Full Version : Sentient Weapons

RSP
2017-05-04, 11:41 PM
Do sentient weapons count as creatures? Does anything state one way or the other if they're just objects? Looking if there's any RAW or official rulings out there...

nickl_2000
2017-05-05, 07:00 AM
I'm going out on a limb a little bit , but I'm going to say that they are not creatures.

The DMG on 214 says in the creating Sentient Magic Items section
A sentient magic item has Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma scores. You can choose the item's abilities or determine them randomly

It refers to it many times as an "item" many, many times in this sections, not a creature. Also, the DMG only states that it same Int, Wis, and Cha. A creature needs all 6 stats, right?

Lvl 2 Expert
2017-05-05, 07:35 AM
They're not in any category a ranger can pick as a favored enemy, which would further support them not being creatures for most purposes. So I'd probably rule they should be treated like they're not, unless otherwise specified, or there is a good reason to treat them as such.

That doesn't narrow it down much though. A spell that confuses one target creature might as well work on them, because all the spell really needs is a mind to affect...

Lolzyking
2017-05-05, 07:41 AM
If they were animate sentient magic items they would either be constructs or undead.

RSP
2017-05-05, 09:00 AM
I was thinking Construct, based on a few things:

1) a sentient weapon most likely has more "sentience" than Animated Armor, Flying Sword, or Rug of Smothering. Those all have very limited Int/Wis/Chr, whereas most sentient weapons will have more in their stats unless specifically made weaker by the DM. Likewise, sentient weapons have alignments.

2) Sentient weapons: "Sentient Magic Items function as NPCs under the GM’s control." And they make skill checks: "When such a conflict occurs, the item makes a Charisma check contested by the wielder’s Charisma check."

Per the PHB, only characters and monsters make skill checks: "The DM calls for an ability check when a character or monster attempts an action (other than an attack) that has a chance of failure."

3) And finally I can't imagine anything stated as having an alignment, a (probably decent) Int/Wis/Chr, the ability to convince others to do its bidding via skill checks, and the will to control creatures to its "purpose," does not have thoughts. However, Detect Thoughts states "For the duration, you can read the thoughts of certain creatures."

Granted, DT could just exempt the thoughts of sentient weapons, but that seems against the intent of the spell.

RSP
2017-05-05, 09:36 AM
Never mind, per JC:

"A creature has one of the types listed in the Monster Manual (p. 6–7). A sentient magic item has none of those types. It's an object. #DnD https://twitter.com/emwizardshark/status/819735062019211264 …"

Guess I missed this when searching for Sentient Weapon...

nickl_2000
2017-05-05, 09:41 AM
Still, as a DM, I would approve of and absolutely have an NPC charm the Sentient Weapon into messing with the PCs

RSP
2017-05-05, 10:30 AM
Still, as a DM, I would approve of and absolutely have an NPC charm the Sentient Weapon into messing with the PCs

Keep in mind most, if not all, constructs are immune to charm, though I am always in favor of fun shenanigans

nickl_2000
2017-05-05, 10:32 AM
Keep in mind most, if not all, constructs are immune to charm, though I am always in favor of fun shenanigans

Well according to JC, it's not a construct. :wink: Besides, you can't forget about the "Rule of Cool." Yes, it may be against the rules (or it may not), but I'm the DM it's my table, and the idea of doing this is way to fun and cool to pass up.

RSP
2017-05-05, 10:50 AM
Well according to JC, it's not a construct. :wink: Besides, you can't forget about the "Rule of Cool." Yes, it may be against the rules (or it may not), but I'm the DM it's my table, and the idea of doing this is way to fun and cool to pass up.

I support it! Just keep in mind this opens a pandora-esque box: if items can be targeted as creatures for some spells, you may have players complaining about how they want to Modify Memory on the sentient item, or Charm it themselves. Polymorph it into a beast, etc.

Not saying don't use rule of fun, just pointing out something that may come up after allowing items to be targeted as creatures.