PDA

View Full Version : What do you like to write?

Jimorian
2007-08-01, 05:02 AM
Hi all,

I notice a good number of writing threads mixed among the art threads, and since I'm only so-so at drawing, thought I'd try to encourage the wordsmiths to come out of the woodwork a little. :smallwink:

Any kind of writing counts in my book, poetry, fiction, articles, fanfic, comics, journaling.

I generally stick to science fiction and fantasy. My very first project was a fanfic Star Trek novel, then I moved to short stories and tried submitting them to the various magazines. I finally sold a story to an anthology, and lately, I've been working on a fantasy novel. The first draft is done, I just need to polish it up so I can start sending it to publishers.

So, what's your scribbling pleasure? :smallsmile:

Arameus
2007-08-01, 01:33 PM
I excel most at transactive writing, actually. I know people begging me to go into journalism. Fiction, though, is my passion. As to my favorite genre, however, I really have a hard time saying. Most great novelists really didn't write in what we today would call a genre. You could say Hemmingway wrote war novels, but really his passion was dramatic action revolving around a strong masculine protagonist. William Faulkner described the downfall of the South and the Southern family and, more deeply, the baseness and darkness of human nature. F. Scott Fitzgerald criticized what he himself coined The Jazz Age and the destructive lifestyles of the nouveau riche, however hypocritical that may have been of him.

Really, I think what I write about is much more important to me than any specific context in which I may write about it. That said, I occasionally select a fantasy backdrop, but usually nothing too extreme: no elves, no magic swords, no inexplicable British accents. What I like to write about is people in crisis and how a genuine character can act and react realistically and dramatically. Capturing the essence of the old Greek Epic Hero is paramount to me. So, character dramas, I guess.

Jimbob
2007-08-02, 05:28 AM
Well at the moment for me its writing and publishing adventrues for D&D. For so long I wanted to do it and then one day after speaking to my dad who said I should go for it. So now I write my own adventure books and sell them, and loving it, sadly cant give up my current job but its some thing to do and pass the endless hours.

I like the thought that some one else can get pleasure out of playing some thing I have written.

Tormsskull
2007-08-02, 06:10 AM
I love to write fantasy, usually involving the evil side of things (vampires, demons, corrupt churchs, etc). I find that I have a pretty good writing style, my sentence and paragraph transitions are usually done well, but I have one bad problem. Every time I read what I have wrote I think that it either stinks or that it could be better. I'm never satisfied with what I have written, which leads to endless revisions.

When I show other people my stories they all seem to love them, and always wonder why I can't finish any of them. Whenever I get a new idea in my head, I tend to abandon whatever it is I am working on at the moment and move on to something new.

I also ventured into Science Fiction a bit (space ships and plasma guns style), but never got too deep into it. Recently I had an idea of writing a mystery book that is set in the far future. Basically a detective in 2080 or something in which the world has changed significantly.

Anyhow, yeah! to all the writers out there.

Jimorian
2007-08-02, 09:35 PM
Really, I think what I write about is much more important to me than any specific context in which I may write about it. That said, I occasionally select a fantasy backdrop, but usually nothing too extreme: no elves, no magic swords, no inexplicable British accents. What I like to write about is people in crisis and how a genuine character can act and react realistically and dramatically. Capturing the essence of the old Greek Epic Hero is paramount to me. So, character dramas, I guess.

Yeah, I think character is the center of writing for me. Not that I haven't seen works done well where it isn't the key, but if I'm not interested in the people and what is happening through them, then I find it hard to stay interested.

I like how you stay flexible about "genre" as well. I generally stick to science fiction and fantasy because I know and understand the tools of that field enough to add extra layers to what I'm writing about, but at some point I'm going to have to try something outside of my "comfort zone" I think. :smallsmile:

Jimorian
2007-08-02, 09:44 PM
Well at the moment for me its writing and publishing adventrues for D&D. For so long I wanted to do it and then one day after speaking to my dad who said I should go for it. So now I write my own adventure books and sell them, and loving it, sadly cant give up my current job but its some thing to do and pass the endless hours.

I like the thought that some one else can get pleasure out of playing some thing I have written.

Awesome. No better feeling than when you see that somebody has enjoyed what you've made. :smallsmile:

Your dad was right, there's no reason whatsoever to not just go for it. That was the first step for every author you find on the bookshelves.

Jimorian
2007-08-02, 10:18 PM
I love to write fantasy, usually involving the evil side of things (vampires, demons, corrupt churchs, etc). I find that I have a pretty good writing style, my sentence and paragraph transitions are usually done well, but I have one bad problem. Every time I read what I have wrote I think that it either stinks or that it could be better. I'm never satisfied with what I have written, which leads to endless revisions.

Heh, you're not alone in wondering if the words are right, or in wanted to tinker with it. There are several pro writers whose publishers need to literally wrestle the manuscript away from them in order to send it to the printers and have to tell them "no, you can't fix this, it's perfectly fine!"

One tip that might help both with this and with finishing things is to give yourself permission on the first draft to write complete crap. Do not go back to even fix typos, just forge ahead with the story until it's DONE. Then, and only then, can you put on your editor's cap and go back and clean things up. Often, fixing an early part of the story is pointless until you have the ending anyway, because only then will you know what kind of foreshadowing and other stuff you'll need to add to make it all fit together.

When I show other people my stories they all seem to love them, and always wonder why I can't finish any of them. Whenever I get a new idea in my head, I tend to abandon whatever it is I am working on at the moment and move on to something new.

That's a problem that's a bit harder to fix, and I know a LOT of people who do this, including me. One thing to try may be to create a file for the ideas, so that you can at least jot them down with any details you think of at the moment. Knowing that you won't forget them, it might be easier to get back into the current project to finish it. Then, you can look at your file and see which of those ideas really were good and worth pursuing, or whether you have a new idea you'd rather work on.

I also ventured into Science Fiction a bit (space ships and plasma guns style), but never got too deep into it. Recently I had an idea of writing a mystery book that is set in the far future. Basically a detective in 2080 or something in which the world has changed significantly.

There's actually a lot of science fiction books that use the mystery concept as their basis, so you're certainly in good company. Sounds like a lot of fun. :smallsmile:

Mattarias, King.
2007-08-02, 11:10 PM
I'm going to add my own voice to the din of "fantasy" here, as, honestly, nonfiction and realistic things are an anethema to me. Even if it's king arthur reborn in New York, or something, there's still that element of the real world there that.. not fun.
Know what I mean? :\

Arameus
2007-08-03, 12:15 AM
That's one thing I've found that actually poses a difficulty for me here on the forums. Nine out of ten of folks here, especially the mouthier ones, are big fantasy nerds, whereas I don't really read much fantasy or sci-fi, if any.

I've got an idea now about someone trying to stop a cult form executing a 'spell' they think will bring about their salvation. But the entire point is the the cult, of course, is bogus and the violence required for their tasks doesn't work to any end at all. Now that's evil.

I guess you could even call it anti-fantasy, since the key to the plot is that nothing fantastic can or will happen!

Hell Puppi
2007-08-03, 12:31 AM
Sci-fi horror...and some fantasy.

averagejoe
2007-08-03, 01:42 AM
I write basically anything that strikes me as a good idea. Looking back I don't seem to stick overwhelmingly to any genre, though I do like to have things which are inexplicable. I also seem to have a tendancy toward the surreal that makes me a little uncomfortable. :smalleek: I also find writings with religious themes interesting, but I've only produced one that I'm proud of.

That's one thing I've found that actually poses a difficulty for me here on the forums. Nine out of ten of folks here, especially the mouthier ones, are big fantasy nerds, whereas I don't really read much fantasy or sci-fi, if any.

I've got an idea now about someone trying to stop a cult form executing a 'spell' they think will bring about their salvation. But the entire point is the the cult, of course, is bogus and the violence required for their tasks doesn't work to any end at all. Now that's evil.

I guess you could even call it anti-fantasy, since the key to the plot is that nothing fantastic can or will happen!

I once wrote a short story kind of like that, except it was kind of ambiguous as far as whether there was no magic, or the magic didn't work. Oh, and instead of an evil cult it was an evil disgruntled ex-pro baseballer turned corporate head.

Man, those iron author prompts make you think up the wierdest stuff...

MethodicalMeat
2007-08-03, 02:15 AM
I typically write High-Fantasy, sword and sorcery type stuff, though on occasion I branch out to modern fiction. It's a bit more mundane generally.

Elector
2007-08-04, 08:19 PM
I stick to one of a few genres as well as making a few hybrids of my own...

When I write fiction it tends to be a combination of Gothic Horror and Existentialism... depending on the orientation of characters...

Most of my current writing revolves around Vampires...

I have one in the works (around page 125) called Count of Eternity, which is neither Gothic and only slightly Existential. It is about a Vampire (Viktor) who was a Prussian Soldier during the Napoleonic Wars (specifically in the Black Guards fighting in Germany). He is then convinced to move to Siebenbürgen (The Seven Cities (which is German for Transylvania))... from there he becomes a vampire, and watches the history of the mortals evolve around him, and without him.

The other book I am currently tossing around in my little head is The Noorland Chronicals... which is a Tolken-esque world... with a more Gothic influence... The Elves aren't noble, the Dwarves aren't friendly, and the Demons are chaotic beasts. Basically the Age of Men is ending, and the Reich is trying to recover its power to prevent this. To ensure there existance they must forge an alliance with Noortland, a human Kingdom ruled by Vampires, to prevent the demons from over-running their nation. Meanwhile the Vampires are waiting for the demons to crush the humans so that the Age of Vampires may begin.

kerravon
2007-08-21, 11:28 AM
Fanfic!!!! Mostly Stargate Atlantis, but I've put out a few Inuyasha ones as well. I've written a short OOTS story, but am unsure if Mr. Burlew approves/disapproves of such things, so I haven't posted it anywhere. Anyone know his stand on fanfic? I've seen a few fac-comics on this forum, but I'm still not sure...

Blayze
2007-08-21, 12:41 PM
Original fantasy, for the most part. I used to write primarily fanfiction, but eventually I got bored with writing stuff for characters that other people had created. Phoenix Wright/Gyakuten Saiban is the only real exception, as it's easy to create a whole new cast (Well, except for certain people...).

I will say, however, that I try to inject a bit of, shall we say, realism into my creations in regards to magic, with explanations and restrictions and something vaguely approaching science.

Jimorian
2007-08-21, 05:10 PM
I will say, however, that I try to inject a bit of, shall we say, realism into my creations in regards to magic, with explanations and restrictions and something vaguely approaching science.

I think this makes a difference. My fantasy novel started out with a fairly generic sort of magic, but when I had an insight into a very specific source of the magical power, and worked up a system of abilities and limits around that, a lot of the elements of the story really started coming together. I now had dramatic consequences to the magic's use and the inner and outer conflicts that arose from it all.

That said, I don't think it's ever a requirement to find an exactly unique form of magic before sitting down and writing a fantasy story -- sometimes the magic is simply background, and a few deft handwaves will work perfectly fine as long as the author keeps things internally consistant.

MrEdwardNigma
2007-08-22, 07:48 AM
I write fantasy, mainly, then some weird long-winded stories, almost always with a concept behind them (I once started to write a play, a TV-series, a movie script, a computer game, an adventure game). Sometimes I just do some strange writing exercises, just to keep practicing, where I decide on some rules and then imply start writing, following the rules. These rules vary a lot, but an example would be: the story must feature the plague, a triple betrayal and 12 main characters. Or "every page must include at least one reference and three jokes", or "change perspective every five pages". I once even started writing a story where there had to be a plottwist every single page (it was, off course, meant as a comedy, not a seriosu thriller). The only stories I ever seem to finish, however, are short stories. I seem to have a problem with discipline and get distracted quickly, so I can never manage to complete very long stories. So far, the longest story I completed was twenty to thirty pages. Almost all of my shortstories are thrillers with a surprise at the end. Usually the kind of surprise that can send chills down your spine. :smallbiggrin:

Blayze
2007-08-22, 08:04 AM
I have a few rules I set myself, as well, but they're usually about the writing, not about the content. "Each chapter should be exactly twelve full A4 pages at default size in OpenOffice" and "No more than one portion of dialogue per paragraph of non-dialogue text" are a couple of my regulars.

MrEdwardNigma
2007-08-22, 08:20 AM
Hmmmm, that doesn't seem a bad idea either, but I haven't done it so far. I don't think I will either, honestly, I think I'd just be moving text around and editing a lot, and that hardly seems a good idea... For me, that is.

Dawn
2007-08-22, 10:23 AM
I try to make short Science Fiction or Fantasy stories. I can never seem to finish them well, or sometimes even at all. I have a terrible time being consistent in my detail.

Agalyon
2007-08-24, 06:35 AM
I love writing huge fantasy novels with very deep plot lines that demand sequels.

Ashtar
2007-08-24, 07:35 AM
Erotic fantasy...

... and fantasy or sci-fi short stories that I usually end up using as my characters back story.

But yes, there is a whole lot of erotic fantasy in a folder on the hard drive.

Vespe Ratavo
2007-08-25, 11:45 PM
Fantasy and Sci-Fi, generally. Rants are fun too.

Evil DM Mark3
2007-08-26, 05:45 AM
I like to paddle in Sci-fi. The link in my sig is to a bit of work I would love opinions on.

Scatman
2007-08-26, 08:05 AM
Comedies, violence, senseless cartoony comedy violence..And things that have to do with kittens.Such as
http://img209.imageshack.us/img209/6813/kittenandgunvi6.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Castaras
2007-08-29, 02:45 AM
Fantasy, fantasy, and more fantasy.

Sometimes some science fantasy, but mostly swords and sorcery.

Jibar
2007-08-29, 12:23 PM
I switch about a lot, so one week I'll write about fantasy, then the next it's sci fi, then I move onto neo post-modern deconstructivism.
Lately, I've been working on mysteries, doing my take on the classic Sam Spade, 50s detective style mystery.

Om
2007-09-01, 08:04 AM
These days I write little but AARs (After Action Reports) which could probably be best considered as alt-history. This allows me to indulge in the "history book" style and keeps me well away from narrative.

Shadow of the Sun
2007-09-01, 09:13 AM
In general, not a lot.

I love writing. It's one of the few things I consider myself good at. But getting an idea, the inspiration for what to write is the problem; I have trouble doing it.

LordVader
2007-09-01, 10:03 AM
I dabble a little in writing. Some 40k stuff, and my own universe called "Ascendancy Wars" which is somewhat of a work in progress.:smalltongue:

Vhaidara
2007-09-01, 10:10 AM
I honestly like writing fantasy adventures. I tend to go into a fair bit of detail, and plan on using my 8th grade free writes to make a good story based on some of my Town characters. Part one is under Shadowbow's expanded backstory. Also, looking for pre-Slishhtak name suggestions for Shadowbow. I made so many in the Town, I'm out.

Elanorea
2007-09-01, 12:00 PM
I like to make up loads of characters, and never put them in a story.

MrEdwardNigma
2007-09-05, 02:47 PM
I switch about a lot, so one week I'll write about fantasy, then the next it's sci fi, then I move onto neo post-modern deconstructivism.
Lately, I've been working on mysteries, doing my take on the classic Sam Spade, 50s detective style mystery.

I recently wrote an old fashioned detective mystery as well. Since I've never actually got to reading one of the original ones though, it's mostly in my own style, but it's about a detective, and it has a reasonably good plot, even if I do say so myself :smallbiggrin: You won't see the end coming until it's there! That's (practically) a garantee!

Hannes
2007-09-05, 02:53 PM
Depends. Stream of conciousness on days with extraordinary but writing-friendly outside weather. Anything on other days.

The Extinguisher
2007-09-05, 06:59 PM
For one, I write songs. Sometimes comedy, somes times dark and twisted, sometimes silly.

As for my prose, I write fiction mostly in a style that can be described as the hybrid offspring of a novel and a stram on consciousness. It's usally in first person, and very thought based, very character based, with little to no scene description. I always try and mix some humor into what I do, no matter the setting or theme. Most of my stuff is either pre-post-modern (it makes sense) or modern day fantasy. As you can see, I like to keep my stuff in present day, though I am able to write in a more traditional fantasy setting, I like to stick with what I know.

As well, I also occasionally write small plays or comics.

Hoggy
2007-09-05, 07:05 PM
Mainly song lyrics. Deep, mystical song lyrics.

If onyl I had a freakin' band to write for.

Toastkart
2007-09-05, 07:32 PM
For right now, my novels are all fantasy. I'm branching out into short stories of science fiction and fantasy and blurring the lines between the two.

I also occasionally get the urge to write existential stuff, usually in the form of philosophical essays.