PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Trying to find a Frankenstein's Monster-y race, either flesh golem-y or quasi-undead

Von Krieger
2017-05-05, 06:17 AM
Am trying to find a race, I think it's third party, that's scratching at the back of my brain but I can't seem to find the source for the silly thing.

I remember the book being about a lot of horror type stuff, with vampires, the undead, and whatnot. Kind of a Ravenloft sort of vibe.

I'm recalling a sort of half-undead race that had somewhere between four and six options, with you being able to pick what sort of undead creature you were descended from that gave you different abilities.

I think there might've been a Flesh Golem option on there, but I'm not sure.

Anyway, I'm trying to find this race that I can't seem to recall where I found it, just that it's not on the D20PFSRD site. I'm pretty sure it's Pathfinder material, rather than 3.5.

Anyway, I'm trying to make a assistant to the mad scientist type that kind of reminiscent of the Igors from Discworld. The idea is that the character is a bit clumsy, and has had to have bits replaced somewhat frequently and thus has a kind of patchwork appearance, as they've had to have bits replaced by whatever's been on hand.

So either quasi-undead or quasi-construct. Bonuses to Int and/or Wis would be good as well, though just one is fine as long as there is no penalty to the other. GM's letting me refluff a bit, so it doesn't have to be 100% stated to be what I need right out of the gate.

I've already got Gearforged (Midgard), Ironborn (In the Company of Monsters), Cambion (Shadows Over Vathak), and Harrowed (Obsidian Apocalypse) as possibilities, but the dark corners of my brain insist there's something out there that'll work better that I'm not remembering and cannot find.

Telonius
2017-05-05, 09:52 AM
This costs two feats, so it's a bit costly to pull off. But, Improved Familiar to get a Homunculus, and Stitched Flesh Familiar (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20041001a) (from Libris Mortis) to make it patchwork-y. Instant Igor! (There might be a PrC in Libris Mortis that gives you a Stitched Flesh familiar as a class feature, but I'm away from my books right now).

Von Krieger
2017-05-05, 10:01 AM
I'm not trying to find an monster-y assistant for my PC, I'm trying to make my PC somebody's else's lab monster.

Bucky
2017-05-05, 10:14 AM
There are rules for half-undead custom races (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/other-rules/creating-new-races/#subtype-half-construct). See if your DM will allow you to take an existing low-RP alternate race and swap its non-generic traits for the half-undead traits.

Von Krieger
2017-05-05, 10:19 AM
DM would prefer I use something that already exists, rather than me making it myself.

The character is meant to be stitched together from body parts, not chunks of the rules.

Psyren
2017-05-05, 03:05 PM
If it's not on the PFSRD and it's not first-party I can't think where you'd have seen it. There aren't many other bastions of 3PP material out there.

legomaster00156
2017-05-05, 03:16 PM
The Necrocraft (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/undead/necrocraft/) is basically exactly what you're looking for. It is a construct-like undead created from the parts of many creatures.

lord pringle
2017-05-06, 12:58 AM
You might be thinking of the stuff in Purple Duck Games's Vigilantes of Horror? It has vigilante archetypes for all the Hammer Horror monsters, plus Pod People (Invasion of the Body Snatchers, not Trumpy). Not all of the mechanics in it are great, but it's under 5 bucks and a ton of fun if you're a horror nerd like me.

Eldaran
2017-05-06, 01:02 AM
There's Forgeborn (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/psionics-unleashed/races/forgeborn/), which sort of fit that flavor.

Von Krieger
2017-05-06, 03:49 AM
If it's not on the PFSRD and it's not first-party I can't think where you'd have seen it. There aren't many other bastions of 3PP material out there.

I probably got it in one of those great big ol book bundles that get sold sometimes. Which would mean it might be a matter of figuring out the right word(s) to use with my "search file contents" program thingy.

You might be thinking of the stuff in Purple Duck Games's Vigilantes of Horror? It has vigilante archetypes for all the Hammer Horror monsters, plus Pod People (Invasion of the Body Snatchers, not Trumpy). Not all of the mechanics in it are great, but it's under 5 bucks and a ton of fun if you're a horror nerd like me.

I don't think I am, as if they're Vigilante archetypes they're not races. I distinctly recall this being a race, and the Vigilante books are too new for the timeframe I'm thinking of.

Though the books themselves might be something to look into sometime in the future. Purple Duck puts out good stuff.

The Necrocraft (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/undead/necrocraft/) is basically exactly what you're looking for. It is a construct-like undead created from the parts of many creatures.

Yup, it's not a PC race, however.

Am not wanting to make one, am wanting to play one, and lacking an Int score makes that a no go.

There's Forgeborn (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/psionics-unleashed/races/forgeborn/), which sort of fit that flavor.

Thanks! Will add it to the list of possibilities.

Looking over the books from the ones I mentioned, I think what I'm remembering is the Harrowed from Obsidian Apocalypse, as I recall the "Sir and Dam" prefixed family names, and the various undead options I was recalling appear to be feats and not racial traits.

Thanks for helping, guys!

Gildedragon
2017-05-06, 12:35 PM
Warforged + Unarmored Body feat? Or refluff the light fortification and armor bonus into being a.sort of construct and a natural armor bonus stemming from a cured hide.
I'm not aware of any difference between natural armor and ordinary armor...
As to why you can't wear armor: tubes of reagents and fluids: they can't get smushed so...
Just don't try and stack bracers of armor sans DM permission

Florian
2017-05-06, 12:55 PM
Perhaps you mean Auttaine (Legendary Games, Legendary Planets Player´s Guide)?

Human-based race, Half-Constructs with access to a pool of Build Points that you can either use to integrate weapons or tools or use them on a 1to1 basis to buy RP features from Advanced Race Guide.

Von Krieger
2017-05-06, 08:48 PM
Warforged + Unarmored Body feat? Or refluff the light fortification and armor bonus into being a.sort of construct and a natural armor bonus stemming from a cured hide.
I'm not aware of any difference between natural armor and ordinary armor...
As to why you can't wear armor: tubes of reagents and fluids: they can't get smushed so...
Just don't try and stack bracers of armor sans DM permission

Warforged is another option, albeit one from 3.5 rather than PF. There's a few conversions scattered about. So I'll add it to the list of potential options.

Perhaps you mean Auttaine (Legendary Games, Legendary Planets Player´s Guide)?

Human-based race, Half-Constructs with access to a pool of Build Points that you can either use to integrate weapons or tools or use them on a 1to1 basis to buy RP features from Advanced Race Guide.

I don't think I've heard of it, but that sounds very interesting! Am going to snag that PDF and add it to the list of options.