PDA

View Full Version : Barbarian choices

Haydensan
2017-05-05, 08:02 AM
I am currently playing as my favourite PC who I have played as so far, a red dragonborn barbarian named Ghesh Noxus. He's currently level 5 and I used the following variation when I first made: http://www.tribality.com/2015/02/02/richs-gameroom-more-than-a-color-dragonborn-part-1/
Array is: 16,12,16,8,13,10 iirc
This gave him a bonus action bite for a little bit extra damage each round
At level 3 I took bear totem because I play him as someone who runs in to get stuck in and not have to think about what kind of damage I'm getting hit by. At 4 I took GWM.

We're now level 5 and our group has come across gauntlets of ogre power. My plan was to use these until 8th when I would bump my strength to 18 and then give the gauntlets to another member of the party. But after being mind controlled once and only barely scraping by another couple of wis saves I've been debating whether it would be better to hold onto the gauntlets and take resiliant wisdom. I would like to max out str by the end of his career though and incase the very small chance we hit 20 so I can hit 24 str

So either bump str at 8 and give away gauntlets
Or take a feat (probably resiliant wisdom) and hold onto them for longer.

Other suggestions welcome

nickl_2000
2017-05-05, 08:08 AM
Do you have other members in your party that can help against mental effect spells?

Bards Countercharm for example?

Desteplo
2017-05-05, 08:45 AM
Depends how often your DM is going to do that to you guys. Wisdom save is a very common save so resilient feat wisdom isn't a bad idea.
If you have plans to make him your most optimized character ever, with the best of best abilities than there is better.
But if you plan for him to be the best of best within the campaign ask yourself, what has your DM been giving you guys as challenges. Has he tried mind controlling before? Is he prone to change his tactics around per encounter?
Ask the DM, worst case he says nothing. Or discuss with your party, is there someone that could benefit from gauntlets even more? Like the other guy said, do you have someone with charm resistances?
Again wisdom saves are common. So preparing for them isn't a bad idea. But there are different ways to get around charms.
Was it a spell? Did it have disadvantage? It should only be a rare case if so.

Haydensan
2017-05-05, 10:56 AM
Thanks for the replies.
To be honest I'm not sure if dominate effect are something that will come up a lot. Just it's happened once already and I was in the door way blocking the path to the mage that had cast it on me and beating seven bells out of my party. It's nearly happened a couple of other times but even with only a +1 to wisdom saves I managed.
We have a bard in the party but he is going to have to leave soon so that's unfortunate. I think the closest we have is a paladin so when he hits 6 I can try stay close to him for the bonus to saves.

Do you think my plan to bump strength and hand the gauntlets away is a good plan or should I keep the gauntlets and grab another feat. The party is me, S&b paladin, ranged rogue, EB warlock

Sigreid
2017-05-05, 12:45 PM
Keep the gauntlets and bump your str. First, it sets a good floor for your str in the case of drain. Second, you can start hoping for a giant str girdle and hammer of thunderbolts. 😆

GlenSmash!
2017-05-05, 03:57 PM
Resilient Wis is a sold addition to any Barb but you'll get almost the same bonus by taking the Lucky Feat instead, plus it has the potential to help out in a lot more situations.