PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Final stage setting for "The Monk"

ZorroGames
2017-05-05, 10:17 AM
Okay, let me finally set the stage for my Monk character with only one design decision to make before starting play:

Since the name (debating getting a friend to determine "Blessed of Correllon Larethian" in Elvish is worth it) still being researched let us simply call him "The Lad" for now.

The lad is a Wood Elf who grew up acting as an alcolyte to a Priest of Corellon Larethian (an uncle on his mother's side) and learning of Corellon's emphasis on striving for perfection. Since Corellon is worshipped outdoors he grew up loving the opportunity to explore the woods and hills running, jumping, climbing, and pushing his mind, body, and spirit/soul everyday.

When it came time to decide on a career he was torn between Cleric (which drew upon his religious and active lifestyle leanings) and the Monastic life which fed from his * Intovert personality.

{This is where I decide if I want him to take a dip into Cleric or Druid early on or not}

His Uncle's assessment of him at this age was

ST 10 (an Acolyte is not overly challenging physically but in interest in outdoor activities has kept him from being weak)

DE 14 + 2 (The Lad is quick, agile, and dexterous)

CO 14 (The Lad has benefited from a healthy life style)

IN 10 (The Lad is bookish in the evening but does not stay up long hours at his lessons, preferring to end his day with meditation and a good night's rest in trance)

WI 15 + 1 (The Lad learns best by doing but is perceptive in his duties and his outdoor time)

CH 8 (The Lad can be talkative once he warms up but social gatherings tire him and he recharges his mind, body, and soul best in quiet, intimate conversation, and meditation * revealing his Introvert personality base. He dislikes being "on stage" but loves to provide supportive roles in worship and work)

As his uncle wrote to his sister, The Lad's Mother, "He has a decision to make - should he take first order vows as a Cleric aspirant, indulge his love of Corellon's nature with the nearby Druid Circle, dedicate himself to Corellon as a Monk seeking physical, mental, spiritual perfection or should he not limit his path too stiffly until he matures more? All would be suitable options but I believe his true path must lead to the Monastic path to be his best in life. What he eventually chooses is not crystalline clear still."

ZorroGames
2017-05-05, 10:29 AM
My options as I see them,

Cleric 1 then Monk for Spells, cantrips, armor and equipment to sell for buying monk equipment, Domain (Tempest)

Druid 1 then Monk x for cantrips, spells, equipment

Monk x without the dip?

I don't see a good point to dip into Cleric or Druid after starting the Monk path either in story/background terms or Monk break points.

Last words before I decide?

EvilAnagram
2017-05-05, 11:18 AM
Does the Tempest domain fit with Cory? He's more Light/Arcans/Nature, isn't he?

I live how much thought you put into this, but I think your character will be best served by pure monk.

Ellora
2017-05-05, 11:27 AM
Let me read this carefully, and see what fun ideas I can come up with. My instinct is always "cleric", but that may not be the case ( And I'm still familiarizing myself with 5e rules).

When you use the Attack action with an unarmed
strike or a monk weapon on your turn, you can make
one unarmed strike as a bonus action. For example, if
you take the Attack action and attack with a quarterstaff,
you can also make an unarmed strike as a bonus
action, assuming you haven't already taken a bonus
action this turn.

So , go nature cleric. Take Shillelagh as a cantrip. You can have up to 15 base AC off half-plate (or 14 for a breastplate) , +2 dexterity. This lets you attack using wisdom with a monk weapon (quarterstaff), thus allowing you to make another unarmed attack. Oh, yes and Shillelagh blows happen to be magic weapons getting through weapon resistance- which is more common than you might think..

Level as a combination of cleric and monk - cleric mostly for healing & armor spells. I THINK start as a cleric, because you get wisdom and charisma saving throw proficiency, which is probably a bit better than dexterity and strength. The "big three" are constitution, dexterity, Wisdom.

Druid seems to be somewhat the same , with the restriction of no metal armor, and the added fun of shapechange at higher levels, which can refresh your hitpoint pool (but takes you away from the "Shilleigh+monk blows" thing)

ZorroGames
2017-05-06, 07:51 AM
Let me read this carefully, and see what fun ideas I can come up with. My instinct is always "cleric", but that may not be the case ( And I'm still familiarizing myself with 5e rules).

When you use the Attack action with an unarmed
strike or a monk weapon on your turn, you can make
one unarmed strike as a bonus action. For example, if
you take the Attack action and attack with a quarterstaff,
you can also make an unarmed strike as a bonus
action, assuming you haven't already taken a bonus
action this turn.

So , go nature cleric. Take Shillelagh as a cantrip. You can have up to 15 base AC off half-plate (or 14 for a breastplate) , +2 dexterity. This lets you attack using wisdom with a monk weapon (quarterstaff), thus allowing you to make another unarmed attack. Oh, yes and Shillelagh blows happen to be magic weapons getting through weapon resistance- which is more common than you might think..

Level as a combination of cleric and monk - cleric mostly for healing & armor spells. I THINK start as a cleric, because you get wisdom and charisma saving throw proficiency, which is probably a bit better than dexterity and strength. The "big three" are constitution, dexterity, Wisdom.

Druid seems to be somewhat the same , with the restriction of no metal armor, and the added fun of shapechange at higher levels, which can refresh your hitpoint pool (but takes you away from the "Shilleigh+monk blows" thing)

Page 78 says you get the Martial ability "... and you aren't wearing armor or wielding a shield." So the armor would only be at first level Cleric if you wanted to continue as a monk.

I could still use the spells/cantrips and Domain functionality but the armor and shield would have to be given away or sold. Start wth Chain then change it out for clothing when you move to Monk? Keep the pack and contents and Mace (or store/sell the Warhammer if I chose that) plus holy symbol. As a Cleric 1/Monk 1 I will have to see I can use the LCB because of the Cleric 1.

It would delay the Monk progression but only by about several hundred EP (well 900 to get Monk 1 after Cleric 1) but is that a lot in the greater scheme of things?

ZorroGames
2017-05-06, 07:54 AM
Wait, I start at Cleric 1 then 300 EP lets me Switch to Cleric 1/Monk 1. If I am reading the chart on page 15 correctly.

ZorroGames
2017-05-06, 10:18 AM
Does the Tempest domain fit with Cory? He's more Light/Arcans/Nature, isn't he?

I live how much thought you put into this, but I think your character will be best served by pure monk.

The Elven Nature God (TSR presents Dieties and Demigods is my newest source) is Rillifane Rallathil. Corellon is skilled in Arts and Crafts and Patron of music, poetry, and magic.

The benefits of Cleric 1 would be three cantrips, three first level spells two Domain spells, a Druid Cantrip, and Proficiency with heavy armor.

So Savings throws would be WI (good) and CH (hmm) instead of ST (hmm) and DE.

Start with a Warhammer (sell at switch and buy Quarterstaff and Spear; Start with Chainmail (sell at switch for adventuring or role play items); Start with LCB (sell at switch.)

Keep explorer's pack. Keep Holy symbol. Sell Shield.

Skills would choose Religion and Insight.

Only the CH savings throws with be a concern to me.

ZorroGames
2017-05-06, 10:22 AM
If I change IN to 8 and CH to 10 I wonder if it would make a long term difference for Savings throws for Cleric 1.

Bloodcloud
2017-05-06, 10:47 AM
Armor is incompatible with a lot of monk abilities, and you can reach a better AC with monk's unarmored defense. That cleric level also delays everything from your monk class and thats seriously painfull. Level 5 will be particularly bad, as everyone but you gain a significant power boost.

Magic initiate would give you the spells with a much lower cost. Have you considered it?

ZorroGames
2017-05-06, 10:55 AM
Armor is incompatible with a lot of monk abilities, and you can reach a better AC with monk's unarmored defense. That cleric level also delays everything from your monk class and thats seriously painfull. Level 5 will be particularly bad, as everyone but you gain a significant power boost.

Magic initiate would give you the spells with a much lower cost. Have you considered it?

If the DM uses optional Feats you acquire it instead of an ASI, right?

KorvinStarmast
2017-05-08, 01:41 PM
I'd recommend you go Druid. Theme fits better. Monk Equipment is ... it doesn't cost.
Good berry
Shillelagh to take care of those annoying things that need to be hit with magic damage at low levels.

Beyond that, straight up Monk is fine.

ZorroGames
2017-05-08, 01:55 PM
I'd recommend you go Druid. Theme fits better. Monk Equipment is ... it doesn't cost.
Good berry
Shillelagh to take care of those annoying things that need to be hit with magic damage at low levels.

Beyond that, straight up Monk is fine.

Druid completely?

The Monk is kind of something I wanted to play ever since the disaster of D4 monks in OD&D experiences.

Or are you saying a dip in Druid first or after Monk 1?

Edit: sorry for being so slow.