PDA

View Full Version : Breath weapon (horses)

Uncle Pine
2017-05-05, 11:12 AM
First of all, sorry for the confusing title.

I often look at 3.5e with pride and say stuff like "in 3.5e you can do everything you can think of with enough splatbooks and optimization, except for shooting halberds with a bow (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?389104-Did-you-just-kill-someone-by-shooting-a-halberd-at-him-Yes)". Recently, this led to a player issuing a challenge to me: find a way to create a dragon who doesn't shoot fire, ice or acid with its breath weapon, but horses. Fluffing the breath as creating horses of flames galloping towards the enemy won't work, I need actual horses (or at least horse-like creatures).

I immediately thought about metabreath effects and the Mount (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/mount.htm) and Regal Procession (SC) spells because I thought I remembered an effect that let you cast a spell as part of your breath weapon... but I was wrong and couldn't find anything like that. Still, I may not remember about a specific PrC, feat or spell that could make this possible.
My second guess was Animate Breath Weapon (SC) (with or without Spell Thematics), but while close it's not quite what I was thinking of. Not to mention it would restrict the poor dragon to a single fire elemental horse/breath weapon use.

Can the Playground come up with a way to give a dragon a "breath weapon (horses)"? :smallbiggrin:
Best attempts so far:

The cheap and easy way: breath weapon + lesser metamagic rod of quicken + Regal Procession (in this order) to fake a breath weapon (horses). Lesser metamagic rod of quicken + Regal Procession + breath weapon for a pile of 1 slaughtered horse/CL.
A gift horse in the mouth: a hivenest dracolich housing swarms of horses in his body that can attack when it hits with its bite or other natural attacks. Currently missing: a template to turn horses into vermin.
Animate Horse Weapon: researching a variant of the Animate Breath Weapon to summon horse-like creature(s) instead of a Huge fire elemental from Summon Monster VII. Currently missing: appropriately CRed horse-like creatures, possibly elementals for consinstency purpose.
Epic Horse Breather: a wyrmling purple dragon Duskblade 13/Enlightened Fist 7 with Ocular Spell is a CR 24 creature that can spam any ray spell or spell with a target other than personal with its breath weapon. Currently missing: a ray spell or spell with a target other than personal that can summon horses (alternatively, an area spell with the same effect).
Acid trip: linked Exhalation of the Black Dragon into StP Regal Procession for a delayed spit weapon (horses). Also available as tattoos. (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20031225a)
Horse money: the Hoarder (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20070307b) template mixes coins in with your breath weapon. Currently missing: a way for horses to count as coin, or to release several horses from coins as a free or swift action every 1d4 or so rounds.

Honorable mentions:

Horse Hurler: Master of the Unseen Hand, Telekinesis and (quickened) Regal Procession for an improved, AoE version of the famous cattlepult.
Cone of dinosaurs: spellwarp (Sanctum) Dinosaur Stampede + lens of ray widening for a 100ft+10ft/CL cone of Dinosaur Stampede, stick to horse-like dinosaurs (http://www.freakingnews.com/pictures/28500/Horse-and-Dinosaur-Hybrid-28528.jpg) for a cone of horses.

Dagroth
2017-05-05, 11:16 AM
First of all, sorry for the confusing title.

I often look at 3.5e with pride and say stuff like "in 3.5e you can do everything you can think of with enough splatbooks and optimization, except for shooting halberds with a bow (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?389104-Did-you-just-kill-someone-by-shooting-a-halberd-at-him-Yes)". Recently, this led to a player issuing a challenge to me: find a way to create a dragon who doesn't shoot fire, ice or acid with its breath weapon, but horses. Fluffing the breath as creating horses of flames galloping towards the enemy won't work, I need actual horses (or at least horse-like creatures).

I immediately thought about metabreath effects and the Mount (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/mount.htm) and Regal Procession (SC) spells because I thought I remembered an effect that let you cast a spell as part of your breath weapon... but I was wrong and couldn't find anything like that. Still, I may not remember about a specific PrC, feat or spell that could make this possible.
My second guess was Animate Breath Weapon (SC) (with or without Spell Thematics), but while close it's not quite what I was thinking of. Not to mention it would restrict the poor dragon to a single fire elemental horse/breath weapon use.

Can the Playground come up with a way to give a dragon a "breath weapon (horses)"? :smallbiggrin:

Some modification of Ocular Spell + Summon Nature's Ally?

Deeds
2017-05-05, 11:19 AM
The dungeon masters guide has a section for creating monsters. You can homebrew a monster by RAW but it's a cop out.

Morcleon
2017-05-05, 11:20 AM
Does it have to be a breath weapon as the actual ability Breath Weapon (Su)? If not, a quickened Regal Procession combined with Telekinesis could work.

Dagroth
2017-05-05, 11:31 AM
Dang it! Now I want that picture of the girl firing halberds!

Oh found it!

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/37/ae/2f/37ae2faca972b6f29a893ef2b19bdf3b.jpg

Uncle Pine
2017-05-05, 12:13 PM
Some modification of Ocular Spell + Summon Nature's Ally?
The things are, instead of using Ocular Spell I might as well give a dragon a lesser metamagic rod of quicken to keep between its scales and have it fire a quickened Regal Procession whenever it breathes. This and the fact that SNA and the likes are not targeted spells and thus not eligible for Ocular Spell.

The dungeon masters guide has a section for creating monsters. You can homebrew a monster by RAW but it's a cop out.
It's just a pet peeve of mine, but I've always seen homebrew like the very last resource so I'd rather avoid it. It's probably just the little power player inside me, but "real" RAW just feels righter.

Does it have to be a breath weapon as the actual ability Breath Weapon (Su)? If not, a quickened Regal Procession combined with Telekinesis could work.
Breath Weapon (Su) is what I'd prefer, yes. Out of curiosity, why Telekinesis? To hurl the horses around? Because now I have a great idea for a Master of the Unseen Hand build.

Dagroth
2017-05-05, 12:17 PM
So instead of a Hulking Hurler, you'd be a Horsie Hurler?

Morcleon
2017-05-05, 12:25 PM
Breath Weapon (Su) is what I'd prefer, yes. Out of curiosity, why Telekinesis? To hurl the horses around? Because now I have a great idea for a Master of the Unseen Hand build.

Mhm. You can throw horses out in a cone or a line to simulate the AoE of a breath weapon. :smallbiggrin:

Uncle Pine
2017-05-05, 12:30 PM

Basically, now let's get back to the Horse Whisperer Breather. :smallbiggrin:

ATHATH
2017-05-05, 02:25 PM
Hm... Perhaps something involving the Hivenest template? If you can find out a way to make a mob of horses a "swarm", you might be able to give a Dracolich the ability to spew them out of itself.

Zanos
2017-05-05, 03:35 PM
Dang it! Now I want that picture of the girl firing halberds!

Oh found it!

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/37/ae/2f/37ae2faca972b6f29a893ef2b19bdf3b.jpg
What are those?! (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IK0t38Al4_E)

The_Jette
2017-05-05, 04:17 PM
Maybe you could use alter summoned monster in conjunction with animate breath weapon? I'm not positive about how they would interact, but I think it would go , but animate breath weapon is a 7th level spell, which would give some pretty good options for what you could summon. Cast ABW then follow it with a quickened ASM, then swap out the elemental with a creature from the Summon Monster table. Horses are on the SM2 list, so I'd say it's fair to get 1d4+1 horses.
Bam! Breath Weapon (Horse)...

Okay, so it's stretching the rules a bit...

Dagroth
2017-05-05, 05:32 PM
What are those?! (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IK0t38Al4_E)

That is a good question... they're even worse than Leifeldian feet (http://unrealitymag.com/images/a-gallery-of-rob-liefleds-anatomical-abominations/).

Zaq
2017-05-05, 11:31 PM
All I can think of is Melf's Unicorn Arrow, but that's not really what you want.

MHCD
2017-05-06, 12:27 AM
I came here to post about having come here to see a breath weapon comprised of horses, only to disappointedly discover that thread was about giving horses a breath wrapon.

Instead, I am pleasantly surprised.

The issue being discussed is one of importance, and research into the matter deserves funding. Uncle Pine saves the day again.

Bronk
2017-05-06, 09:17 AM
I think your best bet would be to use the 'spell thematics' feat on the 'regal procession' spell (third level paladin/sorc/wiz), so that it looks like 1 horse per level is coming out of your mouth whenever you cast it.

Forrestfire
2017-05-06, 10:12 AM
It took me a bit of thinking to figure out a way to make this work, and it's not perfect, but it might be a start.

The purple dragon (Dragon Compendium) has a breath weapon that forms a blade of energy that can be used to make melee attacks. It deals half the breath weapon's damage and interacts with things as a breath weapon. It's a pretty weird mechanic, but quite neat.
The duskblade (Player's Handbook II) can't use its level 3 arcane channeling ability with this breath weapon, but at 13th level, "you can cast any touch spell you know as part of a full attack action, and the spell affects each target you hit in melee combat that round," which will work fine for our purposes.
Ocular Spell (Lords of Madness) turns ray spells and spells with a target other than personal into rays from your eyes.
The enlightened fist (Complete Arcane) gains, at 7th level, the ability to cast ray spells as touch spells, allowing you to use an Ocular Spell with arcane channeling.

Getting a spell for this was a bit hard. Mount and regal procession are not valid for use with Ocular Spell. The best I've found is the bottle of smoke spell, a touch-range spell that targets a bottle, which can then be opened to create a smoke horse. Not ideal, though, because it doesn't target the enemies, it targets the bottles. I think the best bet is actually polymorph any object, to turn the targets of your breath into horses.

If anyone knows of a better spell for this, we might just have it.

death390
2017-05-06, 10:19 AM
on a random note, did anyone ever figure out how to shoot weapons from a bow?

ben-zayb
2017-05-06, 10:30 AM
The effects of a Breath Weapon (Horses) might be best approximated by using either a breath weapon with the Blinding Breath spell, or a (Half-)Chaos Dragon's cone of Confusion breath weapon.

I could've sworn reading somewhere an ability to get a breath weapon consisting of stuff you just ate, but no luck remembering where (most likely, it's just homebrewed)

WhamBamSam
2017-05-06, 10:32 AM
Linked Exhalation of the Black Dragon->StP Regal Procession? After 6 seconds the acid congeals into horses.

If you can somehow re-target the teleportation effect of Firestride Exhalation from yourself to a swarm of horses that'd work. I suppose you could always just use Firestride Exhalation+Quickened Benign/Baleful Transposition to switch positions with your horses and a bit of refluffing.

EDIT: The Hoarder (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20070307b) template mixes coins in with your breath weapon. I'm sure 3.5 has some mechanism by which you can release a horse from a broken coin.

Gildedragon
2017-05-06, 10:57 AM
Question: why is regal procession not valid for ocular spelling?

Would silent image be valid? If so: silent image via shadowcraft mage into shadow regal procession

Forrestfire
2017-05-06, 11:00 AM
Question: why is regal procession not valid for ocular spelling?

Would silent image be valid? If so: silent image via shadowcraft mage into shadow regal procession

It's not a ray or a spell with a target other than personal. It just creates an effect. If we can finagle a way to make it an area then it's possible to make work though.

Gildedragon
2017-05-06, 11:05 AM
Baleful polimorph breath! Polimorphs whatever is breathed on into horses

ben-zayb
2017-05-06, 11:09 AM
I think I've found a way to make a Cone of Dinosaur. Maybe there's RL or D&D dinosaur (does the Fastieth from ECS count?) that looks like a horse, to make this work as a Breath Weapon (Horse).
1. Be an 11th-level Druid, so you are able to cast the Dinosaur Stampede spell from SpC
2. Either get Sanctum Spell or be a 6th level Spellwarp Sniper (aka using classes like Uncanny Trickster)
3. Use Spellwarp to make a 100ft+10ft/CL ray of Dinousaur Stampede
4. Use Lens of Ray Widening to make a 100ft+10ft/CL cone of Dinosaur Stampede

Inevitability
2017-05-06, 02:22 PM
I could've sworn reading somewhere an ability to get a breath weapon consisting of stuff you just ate, but no luck remembering where (most likely, it's just homebrewed)

Teramachs (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?286983-3-5-Base-Class-quot-I-want-to-live-inside-a-castle-built-of-your-agony!-quot) get the ability to do so if they pick 'Sun-Eating Gorge-Monster Gluttony'.

Uncle Pine
2017-05-07, 04:23 AM
Hm... Perhaps something involving the Hivenest template? If you can find out a way to make a mob of horses a "swarm", you might be able to give a Dracolich the ability to spew them out of itself.
While an interesting idea, hivenest attack only applies to natural attacks, which breath weapons aren't. Still, a plant, construct or undead dragon could bite its opponents while a swarm of ant-sized horses crawl out of its mouth. As for making a swarm of horses, the only way I can think of is the creature swarm template in Advanced Bestiary (if we can even find a way to turn horses into vermins, as the arachnoid template in Underdark only makes them aberration), because iirc mobs from DMGII work similarly to swarms but are neither swarms nor Diminutive or Fine.

On the usage of Advanced Bestiary from Green Ronin: it's the only 3rd party book other than Hyperconscious we generally use at my table, not to mention a really cool book. I assure you, players love to be ambushed by a gang of flesh weretreants while travelling in a twisted forest from the Far Realm. :smalltongue:

Maybe you could use alter summoned monster in conjunction with animate breath weapon? I'm not positive about how they would interact, but I think it would go , but animate breath weapon is a 7th level spell, which would give some pretty good options for what you could summon. Cast ABW then follow it with a quickened ASM, then swap out the elemental with a creature from the Summon Monster table. Horses are on the SM2 list, so I'd say it's fair to get 1d4+1 horses.
Bam! Breath Weapon (Horse)...

Okay, so it's stretching the rules a bit...
It's indeed a stretch, but the reasoning behind it works: Animate Breath Weapon is a 7th-level spell that summons a single, variant monster from the list of Summon Monster VII, so it wouldn't be too farfetched for an exotic spellcaster to research a variant that allows it to summon 1d3 creatures of the same kind from the 6th-level list or 1d4+1 creature of the same kind from a lower-level list. Since there are rules to swap creatures in the summon monster lists with other ones (I know about those in Dragon Magazine, but others may exist), we can just look for an appropriate horse-like creature and swap it in.

All I can think of is Melf's Unicorn Arrow, but that's not really what you want.
That would fall in the "fluffing the breath as creating horses of flames galloping towards the enemy" category, yeah.

I came here to post about having come here to see a breath weapon comprised of horses, only to disappointedly discover that thread was about giving horses a breath wrapon.

Instead, I am pleasantly surprised.

The issue being discussed is one of importance, and research into the matter deserves funding. Uncle Pine saves the day again.
I know right? It's like when you open a thread named "Dragon cheese" and no one is looking for a way to make giant flying reptiles lactate to create exotic dairy products. On the other hand, sometime that's exactly what you need.

I think your best bet would be to use the 'spell thematics' feat on the 'regal procession' spell (third level paladin/sorc/wiz), so that it looks like 1 horse per level is coming out of your mouth whenever you cast it.
Add Quicken Spell/lesser metamagic rod of quicken and cast the spell right after using your breath weapon to make the trick look even more real.

It took me a bit of thinking to figure out a way to make this work, and it's not perfect, but it might be a start.

The purple dragon (Dragon Compendium) has a breath weapon that forms a blade of energy that can be used to make melee attacks. It deals half the breath weapon's damage and interacts with things as a breath weapon. It's a pretty weird mechanic, but quite neat.
The duskblade (Player's Handbook II) can't use its level 3 arcane channeling ability with this breath weapon, but at 13th level, "you can cast any touch spell you know as part of a full attack action, and the spell affects each target you hit in melee combat that round," which will work fine for our purposes.
Ocular Spell (Lords of Madness) turns ray spells and spells with a target other than personal into rays from your eyes.
The enlightened fist (Complete Arcane) gains, at 7th level, the ability to cast ray spells as touch spells, allowing you to use an Ocular Spell with arcane channeling.

Getting a spell for this was a bit hard. Mount and regal procession are not valid for use with Ocular Spell. The best I've found is the bottle of smoke spell, a touch-range spell that targets a bottle, which can then be opened to create a smoke horse. Not ideal, though, because it doesn't target the enemies, it targets the bottles. I think the best bet is actually polymorph any object, to turn the targets of your breath into horses.

If anyone knows of a better spell for this, we might just have it.
Woah, those are a lot of class levels. I had never noticed that purple dragons got such an unusual breath weapon, but that's nifty! Finding an appropriate horse-conjuring spell is probably going to take a bit, but otherwise it looks like a wyrmling purple dragon Duskblade 13/Enlightened Fist 7 with Ocular Spell works.

on a random note, did anyone ever figure out how to shoot weapons from a bow?
Unfortunately, ammunitions aren't classified as weapons so you can't abuse the aptitude enchantment to shoot halberds etc. with Manyshot. However, you can build a resetting trap of PAO in the form of a ring large enough for arrows to pass through, attach it to your bow and shoot your arrows through the ring. This will turn them into giant weapons mid-flight, but I'm unsure whether it would make them deal more damage as iirc the damage of an ammunition is keyed to the weapon firing it, not to the ammunition itself.

Linked Exhalation of the Black Dragon->StP Regal Procession? After 6 seconds the acid congeals into horses.

If you can somehow re-target the teleportation effect of Firestride Exhalation from yourself to a swarm of horses that'd work. I suppose you could always just use Firestride Exhalation+Quickened Benign/Baleful Transposition to switch positions with your horses and a bit of refluffing.
I'm not sure whether it's possible to redirect Firestride Exhalation so that it teleports other creatures in your stead, but that seems unlikely. On the other hand, linking Exhalation of the Black Dragon to Regal Procession sounds so scenic! As in, the kind of suboptimal but not entirely useless stuff that a vain dragon would invest into just to look marvelous.
"The dragon spits forth a ray of glowing vitriolic acid against the Fighter before ascending in the air outside the range of your sharp weapons. After a few seconds, as the creature readies to dive on your party and a roaring cackle fills the cave, the fumes still spewing from the acid drops around you start swirling and solidify into twelve Large, hoofed creatures that surround you, seemingly positioned in a way to impede your movements." 'Good luck escaping NOW!'

EDIT: The Hoarder (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20070307b) template mixes coins in with your breath weapon. I'm sure 3.5 has some mechanism by which you can release a horse from a broken coin.
In the land of Amilektrevitrioelis the Blue, coins are shaped like horses!

Baleful polimorph breath! Polimorphs whatever is breathed on into horses
I'm afraid if we knew of a way to attach Baleful Polimorph to a breath weapon, we'd also know how to make it work with Regal Procession and the likes.

I think I've found a way to make a Cone of Dinosaur. Maybe there's RL or D&D dinosaur (does the Fastieth from ECS count?) that looks like a horse, to make this work as a Breath Weapon (Horse).
1. Be an 11th-level Druid, so you are able to cast the Dinosaur Stampede spell from SpC
2. Either get Sanctum Spell or be a 6th level Spellwarp Sniper (aka using classes like Uncanny Trickster)
3. Use Spellwarp to make a 100ft+10ft/CL ray of Dinousaur Stampede
4. Use Lens of Ray Widening to make a 100ft+10ft/CL cone of Dinosaur Stampede
Instant awesome: add dinosaurs! And the Child of Eberron sovereign archetype. :smallbiggrin:

I'm going to compile a list of the best attempts so far in the OP for easy reference. Thank you all for the great ideas so far!

EDIT: OP edited with the aforementioned list, also listed below for ease of reading.

Best attempts so far:

The cheap and easy way: breath weapon + lesser metamagic rod of quicken + Regal Procession (in this order) to fake a breath weapon (horses). Lesser metamagic rod of quicken + Regal Procession + breath weapon for a pile of 1 slaughtered horse/CL.
A gift horse in the mouth: a hivenest dracolich housing swarms of horses in his body that can attack when it hits with its bite or other natural attacks. Currently missing: a template to turn horses into vermin.
Animate Horse Weapon: researching a variant of the Animate Breath Weapon to summon horse-like creature(s) instead of a Huge fire elemental from Summon Monster VII. Currently missing: appropriately CRed horse-like creatures, possibly elementals for consinstency purpose.
Epic Horse Breather: a wyrmling purple dragon Duskblade 13/Enlightened Fist 7 with Ocular Spell is a CR 24 creature that can spam any ray spell or spell with a target other than personal with its breath weapon. Currently missing: a ray spell or spell with a target other than personal that can summon horses (alternatively, an area spell with the same effect).
Acid trip: linked Exhalation of the Black Dragon into StP Regal Procession for a delayed spit weapon (horses). Also available as tattoos. (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20031225a)
Horse money: the Hoarder (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20070307b) template mixes coins in with your breath weapon. Currently missing: a way for horses to count as coin, or to release several horses from coins as a free or swift action every 1d4 or so rounds.

Honorable mentions:

Horse Hurler: Master of the Unseen Hand, Telekinesis and (quickened) Regal Procession for an improved, AoE version of the famous cattlepult.
Cone of dinosaurs: spellwarp (Sanctum) Dinosaur Stampede + lens of ray widening for a 100ft+10ft/CL cone of Dinosaur Stampede, stick to horse-like dinosaurs (http://www.freakingnews.com/pictures/28500/Horse-and-Dinosaur-Hybrid-28528.jpg) for a cone of horses.

Shrink Item popped up as a way to turn horses into smaller objects, but a) a piece of cloth isn't a coin and b) unshrinking several horses/turn relies on the interpretation that speaking a word of command for Shrink Item doesn't require a standard action like a command word would, unless we can finangle a way to place an antimagic wall between the Hoarder dragon and the opponents so that it can dispell Shrink Item for us instead of spending actions to do it. Note that this would make targets immune to the damage of the breath weapon because (Su) abilities don't work in an AMF.

WhamBamSam
2017-05-07, 11:02 AM
I'm not sure whether it's possible to redirect Firestride Exhalation so that it teleports other creatures in your stead, but that seems unlikely.If you Dimensional Anchor yourself and have a few horse-like familiars somehow, that might cause them to be teleported without you. I don't know offhand if horse is on the list of familiars available to larger creatures, but there must be something on some improved familiar list that's sufficiently horselike.

Shrink Item popped up as a way to turn horses into smaller objects, but a) a piece of cloth isn't a coin and b) unshrinking several horses/turn relies on the interpretation that speaking a word of command for Shrink Item doesn't require a standard action like a command word would, unless we can finangle a way to place an antimagic wall between the Hoarder dragon and the opponents so that it can dispell Shrink Item for us instead of spending actions to do it. Note that this would make targets immune to the damage of the breath weapon because (Su) abilities don't work in an AMF.Dispelling Breath will solve the dispelling problem easily enough. I suppose we could resolve our issues with Shrink Item by using PAO or Metamorphosis to make our horses into coins instead, though that feels like overkill.

The nice thing about being an ancient, powerful, and wealthy dragon is that you can mint whatever currency you damn well please and have it become legal tender. If the dragon bank says cloth horses are coins in that region, then they are.

If you want something a little more solid than that, have the dragon mint some coins (probably largish by coin standards, but not too bad) which make suitable containers for the Smoky Confinement spell. These can then be used to store horses.

Inevitability
2017-05-07, 11:32 AM
If you Dimensional Anchor yourself and have a few horse-like familiars somehow, that might cause them to be teleported without you. I don't know offhand if horse is on the list of familiars available to larger creatures, but there must be something on some improved familiar list that's sufficiently horselike.

Hippogriffs are half-horse and were added as possible Improved Familiars in CW. The requirements are a CL of 7 and 7 BAB.

zergling.exe
2017-05-08, 04:34 AM
Unfortunately, ammunitions aren't classified as weapons so you can't abuse the aptitude enchantment to shoot halberds etc. with Manyshot. However, you can build a resetting trap of PAO in the form of a ring large enough for arrows to pass through, attach it to your bow and shoot your arrows through the ring. This will turn them into giant weapons mid-flight, but I'm unsure whether it would make them deal more damage as iirc the damage of an ammunition is keyed to the weapon firing it, not to the ammunition itself.

Nothing to add to the breath stuff, but shooting halberds from a bow is easy: use a greatbow, an exotic weapon from CW. 1d10, x3, piercing; same as a halberd, minus the ability to slash. As a bonus, it even has a bigger range than a longbow!

daremetoidareyo
2017-05-15, 11:37 AM
It's not a ray or a spell with a target other than personal. It just creates an effect. If we can finagle a way to make it an area then it's possible to make work though.

That's easy: glyph of warding

DrMotives
2017-05-15, 09:28 PM
One of Pazuzu's breath weapons (FC1) is a swarm of locusts. So now just to alter those into horses somehow as he exhales them...

And in Dragon magazine, the Thrall of Pazuzu class also gets the same locust breath weapon.

Thurbane
2017-05-15, 09:55 PM
Couldn't you use the chassis of the Cone of Dinosaurs concept and sub out Melf's Unicorn Arrow as the spell? It will requires a few changes in the steps, I believe (AFB).

Alternatively, can't you use Mount or Regal Procession, mix in some of the steps from Dinosaur Cone, and add a rider effect that causes damage? Hellcat Gauntlets, Spellscale Ritual etc.

daremetoidareyo
2017-05-15, 10:20 PM
Arcane fusion: breathbarb + mount? Nah, that will summon a horse and change your breathweapon into a lozenge next round

I Got it:
Race: undead creature with a breath weapon, a ghost attack, and transdimensional breath and handle animal ranks
Sorcerer 7/Savant 1:Arcane fusion: rope trick + regal procession + skill assistance climb (add or subtract sanctum spell and invisible spell as necessary)

Shoot your breath weapon through the rope trick's extra dimensional space to trigger your horses to pop into existence. Actually, why not carry a portable hole full of horses who have readied actions to follow the line of breathweapon when they get hit by it. For extra points, round up your horses on the elemental planes of whereever your breathweapon comes from so that they have the elemental subtype for an immunity.

Maybe not...

EDIT: maybe we're getting too fancy
Elven spell lore

Choose a single spell in your spellbook when you take this feat. When preparing that spell, you can alter the type of damage it deals to a single type of your choice. You must make this choice when preparing the spell (those who do not prepare spells cannot benefit from this aspect of the feat).

According to this thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?505669-Types-and-States-of-Energy-in-D-amp-D-a-discussion&highlight=unified+energy+type) there are a number of energy types that may be applied as sources of damage. Elven spell lore doesn't prohibit you from choosing "city damage" so perhaps it would be possible for an elf to develop [horse] typed damage.

Then prepare the dragonbreath spell to be keyed to horse type damage.
If you're really picky and need a spell with a damage descriptor not in the spell description text but associated energy type stat block, firestride exhalation (dragon magic), Palarandusk's Fire Breath (city of waterdeep) and Dragon Cloud (BOED) are legal choices. Boom

You can go archmage to turn your elven spell lored Palarandusk's {horse} breath into an SLA which you can supernaturally transform into a legit breath weapon with (Su). I think you could also use supernatural spell from that prestige class that lorddraco uses.