PDA

View Full Version : DM Help A Curse on a PC - quest hook

nickl_2000
2017-05-05, 03:01 PM
Background: Evil campaign, PCs are monsters, they will be level 4 right after they get this curse. They just killed a Cult Fanatic to Clanggedin Silverbeard and are being cursed by him in a way that will eventually draw them to fight as a Gladiator. The one who gets the killing blow will get the curse.

I would love ideas for a god's curse that would be bothersome to the PC at level 4 and draw them to the Colosseum. However, it isn't so annoying that it makes the PC useless. So far I have

"Anyone who kills one of my beloved is cursed to seek out battle and war.
...[need the stuff it does to the PC here]..
Only when you are bloodied in my Colosseum will you be free of this curse."

And bloodied can go either way, hurt, covered by the blood of enemies, whatever. I also am not expecting them to solve this curse until level 6, so keep that in mind when giving ideas.

Thank you!

Specter
2017-05-05, 06:04 PM
Maybe a permanent level of exhaustion, asif their life force evaded them?

Honest Tiefling
2017-05-05, 06:12 PM
I would make it an object, and give many hints that whoever picks it up without the god's permission gets cursed. But they already raided his shrine so why care? And then make it a REALLY good axe, hrm...Do you risk a possible curse for a axe of butt-kicking +5? That way players can't complain later.

Except the PC in question cannot let go to the axe, ever. They start to have accidents in outhouses, cannot sneak or climb. Seducing people becomes a lot harder when you have to convince them to join in a threesome with your weapon. If it is large enough, it can impose penalties on stealth. And guards really want to have a word with you on why you are waving an axe around in a marketplace...

GPS
2017-05-05, 11:36 PM
If there's a cleric with them, they'll likely solve the curse at level 5. Just a warning. Remove curse is a big thing. Might want to bump it up to a madness.

nickl_2000
2017-05-06, 05:28 AM
If there's a cleric with them, they'll likely solve the curse at level 5. Just a warning. Remove curse is a big thing. Might want to bump it up to a madness.

There isn't a cleric in the group, but the madness is a good idea. I will check out the DMG for those madness tables and see what they have to offer.