PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Multi class saving throw proficiencies

ZorroGames
2017-05-05, 03:59 PM
Cleric proficiencies show saving throws list as Wisdom, Charisma. Page 57.

Monk proficiencies show saving throws list as a strength, Dexterity. Page 77.

Page 164, multiclassing proficiencies does not explicitly list saving throw proficiencies. I conclude you get you saving throw proficiencies from your original class only?

Am I understanding that right?

Or optional Feats on pages 165-169 possibly? I do not see the latter but I could have missed it.

Socratov
2017-05-05, 04:06 PM
The only level you get your saving throws is at lvl 1 when you pick your class. That is also when you get the proficiencies as stated in the block. As you multiclass you might get some stuff as described in the table on page 164 under multiclassing proficiencies.

Arenabait
2017-05-05, 04:13 PM
Sadly no. You do not get saving throw proficiencies from multiclassing, the only proficiencies you get are the ones explicitly stated.

Falcon X
2017-05-05, 04:14 PM
You are correct, you only get saving throws from your starting class, not a multiclass.
However, some class features or feats might give you more.

ZorroGames
2017-05-05, 05:58 PM
Feats such as Resilient?

Corran
2017-05-05, 09:49 PM
Feats such as Resilient?
Yes, that's the one.
(Keep in mind that you can take it only once.)

Tanarii
2017-05-05, 11:48 PM
Feats such as Resilient?
Thief 14 cgives them Wis saving throws.
Monk 14 gives them all saving throws.
Paladin 6 gives them +Cha to all saves, as well as anyone in 10ft.
Barbarian 2 gives them advantage on Dex saves against effects they can see.

Arkhios
2017-05-07, 02:19 AM
Thief 14 Rogue 15 gives them Wis saving throws.

FTFY, All rogues (not just thief) get Wisdom proficiency as a bonus, but at 15th level via Slippery Mind.

ZorroGames
2017-05-07, 07:44 AM
Thief 14 cgives them Wis saving throws.
So if I go Monk and the campaign goes past that level does it pay to use an ASI to take Resilient?

Tanarii
2017-05-07, 08:24 AM
FTFY, All rogues (not just thief) get Wisdom proficiency as a bonus, but at 15th level via Slippery Mind.And the sad part is I was referencing the PHB for the others. The one I didn't I messed up. :smallredface:

So if I go Monk and the campaign goes past that level does it pay to use an ASI to take Resilient?No, it's a half wasted feat. (The added ability score point still benefits you though.)

Just as taking Weapon Master or any of the Armor Poficiency feats, then multiclassing into a class that grants them when you MC would be a wasted half a feat.

Although it's worth keeping in mind Multiclassing and Feats are optional rules. Not all games will feature both, so those feats have more purpose in games that don't allow Multiclassing. Although playing with both seems like it's very common.

Hydrom
2018-11-15, 08:55 PM
The only level you get your saving throws is at lvl 1 when you pick your class. That is also when you get the proficiencies as stated in the block. As you multiclass you might get some stuff as described in the table on page 164 under multiclassing proficiencies.

But you contradict your own rebuttle ,,so when your level one in a class you get all features of that class. And the chart on p. 164 lists proficiencies not features... for example a Barbarian takes a lvl in druid one of the features is he can now cast spells. The reason most DM's don't use this is they thinks it makes PC's too OP but the Truth is remember multi class is an optional rule so if you dont take all the optional rule at leaste state so. IMO

darknite
2018-11-16, 10:43 AM
So if I go Monk and the campaign goes past that level does it pay to use an ASI to take Resilient?

It's still up to you. Resilient still gives a +1 to the stat, for example. And maybe you want to be proficient in a save early-on. But typically, you are correct, it's almost always better to wait for Diamond Soul.