PDA

View Full Version : I want to brag about my players because I'm having a really good time

souridealist
2017-05-06, 01:10 AM
I'm running a Pathfinder game for two old friends who are both new to tabletop, and I did not realize how weirdly proud I was going to feel whenever they do something clever. I've already told most of this to everyone I know who seems inclined to care, and it still makes me happy so I have come to tell the forums!

What's especially cool is that they've both done play-by-post RP on Dreamwidth and things like that, so even as they're learning the mechanics of the game they have a level of engagement with the world and separation of player and character that's pretty unusual in new players. (I have possibly found the situation where metagaming is the least likely to be a problem.) I like a roleplaying-heavy experience, so it's incredibly rewarding to have players who get equally excited over a cool new weapon and a nice day restful day with a chance to see the hot NPC cleric in a play. [He's a cleric of Shelyn, Pathfinder's goddess of love, beauty, and the arts.]

The two of them have hit on a pretty clever bit of party synergy, too. They're playing an oracle and a fighter with a glaive, so in combat the oracle casts Command on an enemy and orders him to approach her, and the fighter and his ten-foot reach usually get an AO off. It's remarkably effective so far and they figured it out really quickly and like I said, I'm a little bit proud-mama over the whole thing. (They are both older than I am.)

(And yes, I would generally have concerns about the party using the same strategy over and over, but in this case I'm okay with it, because 1) all of the oracle's other spells are defensive, so this is pretty much what she can do in combat until third level, 2) they're the only ones in the party, so the combo doesn't overpower anyone else or leave them out, and 3) as they hit higher levels the save DC on a first-level spell will get easier for enemies to beat and the issue will solve itself.)

They're not keeping a campaign journal, but they've started something almost as good, which is an official List Of Things Their Characters Hate. One, character development via evolving tastes! And two, [evil DM cackling.]

Things Yurika And Marquth Hate:
- Slavers
- Poisonous mushrooms
- The Tooth Fairy
- Pumpkins
- Old man ghosts
- Fleshdregs
- Trapdoors
- MOUNTAINS
- Invisible a**holes
- Dogs
--- Yurika vs dogs
- THAT F***ING GUY
- Sticky stuff
- Sheep
- Assassins
- Danny Devito

"Invisible a**holes" and "THAT F***ING GUY" are both references to a particular imp with whom they have formed a relationship of mutual loathing. To deal with him in the future, they have acquired two items: a scroll of Invisibility Purge and a sack.

Danny DeVito is on the list because I established a character as short, sleazy-looking, and possessing an unfortunate mustache, and apparently this all adds up to Danny DeVito in Matilda. After it became clear that this was not an arguable point, I gave up and named him Daniel of the Vitole.

Anyway, I'll cut myself off now. I may update this thread if there's interest or I can't restrain myself.