PDA

View Full Version : Warlock + Energy Transformation Field

Nebuul
2017-05-06, 01:34 AM
So, hypothetically, if a warlock creates an Energy Transformation Field (SC p.81), what are some good spells to cast off of it? The rules are:

1. A single spell linked to it
2. When the field absorbs spell levels = level of linked spell, it casts the spell based on caster level of energy transformation field caster
3. The spell cannot have a costly material component nor an XP cost
4. The spell CAN have an expensive spell focus as long as that focus is somewhere within the area of the field

A warlock can cast a level 9 spell-like ability every 6 seconds all day long. That's 129,600 spell levels per day assuming uninterrupted casting.

So, what spell do you attach to the field?

Inevitability
2017-05-06, 02:13 AM
One of the higher-level Halaster's Fetch spells would be fun, if not outright world-ending.

Fizban
2017-05-06, 04:12 AM
Create Lantern Archon.

Nebuul
2017-05-06, 11:59 AM
Create Lantern Archon.

The cast time is an hour, plus the archons aren't cast by you so they don't owe you a service.

Inevitability
2017-05-06, 02:17 PM
The cast time is an hour, plus the archons aren't cast by you so they don't owe you a service.

They can't return to their own plane without locating a portal, though, and if there's no task given they don't get to magically warp home. Flooding the material plane in teleporting, attack-resistant spheres of light is pretty awesome if you want some evil smitten.

Sagetim
2017-05-06, 02:31 PM
Well, I'm one of those jerks that tries to think of ways that magic in dnd games can make lives better for the people who have to live in the settings, so my go to would probably be Regenerate or Heal. Restoration and Greater Restoration have costly material components, as do most of the raising from the dead spells, But as long as you don't care what the person comes back as, just that they come back at all, Reincarnation could provide you with a cost free way to bring people back when coupled with this spell. I think there's a greater reincarnate too, but I don't know its details off hand.

I do have to wonder though, since the spell is a copy of whatever spell the person who put it in is, does that mean someone with dweomerkeeper levels could shove a supernatural spell Wish, True Ressurection, or other spell in there, since they can cast those without incurring materials costs? Or would that fail because it counts as a supernatural thing instead of a spell? I mean, it would be pretty obviously broken to let a warlock keep pumping blasts into the area to have it keep pumping out Solar simulacrums or piles of gold or inherent bonuses to stats, but if it is a means of working around that limitation, what kinds of crazy hijinks could we get up to?

Of course, that's not to say that we aren't going to be able to get up to crazy hijinks without the spell, but if you could roll your entire army through a true rez machine after every fight, it would be a rather terrifying advantage. And a frightening way to cure the common cold, starvation, and other relatively minor problems.

Now, also in the vein of helping people, you could use this field to mass produce food with either Goodberry, or Create Food And Water. Set this field up suspended in the air (say, in a tower) and you could set up a plethora of 2 gallon buckets and have it keyed to cast Create Water 18 times per 9th level Eldritch Blast. Congrats, you can now, with some engineering, power your city of choice and also supply it with it's fresh water needs. Mind, I'm not talking electrical power necessarily, but if the DM okays you building a hydro electric dam, this would be a pretty effective means of supplying enough water quickly enough to run a reasonably sized dam (I would assume). A 20th level cleric makes something like 40 gallons per casting of create water, cast 18 times per eldritch blast would be something like 720 gallons per casting.

One factor that isn't addressed in this thought experiment is what the proposed build for the warlock is. Are they a pure warlock who is relying on other casters for the field and it's spell, or are we talking an Eldritch Theurge or something that can cast the spell themselves and supply it with some subset of arcane shenanigans as well as power it?

Edit: on reading the spell it has another limitation- it won't recast spells until the duration has elapsed, so while create water is fine (it will just take a while to work through all those half spell levels) because it has an instant duration, Create Food an Water won't actually do it's job because it has a 24 hour duration, so instead of 3 piles of foodbrickasbroughttoyoubygod and water, you get 1 pile at your caster level.

This also means that spells with a permanent duration aren't going to be worth putting into the field, as far as I can tell.

Nebuul
2017-05-06, 05:47 PM
This also means that spells with a permanent duration aren't going to be worth putting into the field, as far as I can tell.

I think the trick is instant instead of permanent durations.