PDA

View Full Version : 5e: Let's Build Ultron

DracoKnight
2017-05-06, 04:38 AM
So pretty much what the title says. I've got a new game coming up this Sunday, and I'm looking at playing Ultron - the film version - in the game. Obviously I want to go Warforged for the race, but what class/background/skills should I choose? If I go spellcaster, which spells?

I'm thinking he could be a GOOlock (Mind Stone) or Wizard or Mystic, but I could also see Eldritch Knight.

We're using the Standard Array/Point Buy for our stats.

Thanks for the help!

JackOfAllBuilds
2017-05-06, 04:54 AM
Too bad you aren't doing a Modern setting with Unearthed Arcana, because Ultron is totally a "Ghost in the Machine" patron warlock (which only works in fantasy-tech settings)

DracoKnight
2017-05-06, 05:02 AM
Too bad you aren't doing a Modern setting with Unearthed Arcana, because Ultron is totally a "Ghost in the Machine" patron warlock (which only works in fantasy-tech settings)

If only I was playing 5e modern, because you're right. That's totally what he is. Alas, I'm playing him in a homebrew fantasy setting.

nickl_2000
2017-05-06, 05:31 AM
4 elements monk is probably the way to go. You get the hand to hand combat skills he has, plus you can be blasty like Ultron.

Arkhios
2017-05-06, 05:58 AM
Warforged Eldritch Knight or Arcane Trickster. Or heck, even Artificer could work!

Granted, 4 Elements Monk would be quite interesting choice as well.

Describe your spells as something your constructed nature can produce.

EvilAnagram
2017-05-06, 06:13 AM
4 elements monk is probably the way to go. You get the hand to hand combat skills he has, plus you can be blasty like Ultron.

Radiant Soul might be better for him, but this is pretty accurate.

DracoKnight
2017-05-06, 03:17 PM
Radiant Soul might be better for him, but this is pretty accurate.

Looking it over again, Sun Soul does seem fairly accurate. Any ideas on how to get flight? I guess I could get Wings of Flying as a magic item eventually.

nickl_2000
2017-05-06, 03:29 PM
Looking it over again, Sun Soul does seem fairly accurate. Any ideas on how to get flight? I guess I could get Wings of Flying as a magic item eventually.

I would consider talking to you DM about the flight if you feel it is important to your character. A warforged is a living construct made for war, it would makes sense that one would be made with less armor (drop the ac bonus), and put wings on it.

Basically drop the Composite Plating element and add in wings that all you to fly up to your walking speed while wearing Medium or lighter armor.

jaappleton
2017-05-06, 03:55 PM
Looks like I get to help you for a change, DK!

Here's the thing with Ultron: Very intelligent. He's always planning ahead. And at least with the version James Spader voices, he's got a bit of a silver tongue, having been able to recruit the Twins.

So Intelligence, Wisdom or Charisma could all work.

He's no slouch in combat, that's for certain. He has insane Constitution and high AC, able to take a large amount of punishment.

Immortal Mystic, War Wizard, and Sun Soul, and Fiend Warlock all work well.

I think Immortal Mystic, War Wizard and Sun Soul are all fairly explanatory in how well they work. Bonus points to Sun Soul for being able to use Deflect Missiles to launch Captain America's shield back at him (which Ultron did in the film).

The one I feel needs explanation is Fiend Warlock. The ability to gain temp HP translates well to his insane durability, Invocations can help mitigate Flight (Levitation via Ascendant Step?), Eldritch Blast and Repelling Blast are perfect for the beams Ultron is capable of shooting. Fiendish Resilience, Dark One's Own Luck also lend well to his resilience.

Although Archfey also fits well as well. Not as resilient, but the spell list (except Plant Growth, WTH?), Fey Presence, etc all lend well to Ultron's abilities. If you have any healer in the group, Green Lord's Gift could easily make you as resilient, if not more, than a Fiendlock.

ATHATH
2017-05-06, 04:28 PM
See if your DM will allow you to play a Warlock with the Ghost in the Machine patron, but with the following changes:

The Information Surge ability now works on magic items instead of computerized devices.
The Wirewalk ability now works with leylines (or something similar) instead of wires and such.
The Conjure Knowbot spell is now implanted inside of a magic item instead of an electronic device and can activate or use magic items instead of doing "computer-related tasks".
The Digital Phantom spell now only works on (automated?) scrying devices and divination spells, works on stealth checks in addition to intelligence-based checks, and causes your tampering with magic items to not be detected by divination spells.
The Haywire spell now only works on magic items, and the effect of a failed save is merely a 50% chance per round for any given affected item to not work for that round.
The Infallible Relay spell now requires a banana or other appropriate, small, curved object as a focus component instead of a mobile phone, and causes a banana or other appropriate, small, curved object near the target to "ring". Even if the target succeeds on his save against the spell, it still knows that the (unknown) caster of the spell wants the target to put the ringing object near their head. The spell grants the ability to talk to the target of the spell as long as both you and the target have your respective appropriate, small, curved objects near your heads (multi-headed creatures only need to keep the object near one of their heads (although the other creature needs to still have their object near one of their heads)).
The Invisibility to Cameras spell now only hides you from (automated?) scrying devices and divination spells.
The On/Off cantrip now works like the (modified) Remote Access spell, but only works on unattended magic items and only lets you turn them "on" or "off" (what that means is up to the DM).
The Protection from Ballistics spell now gives the subject resistance to nonmagical damage from missile attacks (but only those that deal bludgeoning damage, perhaps?).
The Remote Access spell now only works on magic items.
Shutdown now only works on magic items.
System Backdoor now allows you to fake having the requirements necessary to use a magic item for the spell's duration, instead of its previous effect.

Note that magical devices are included under the definition of "magic items" for the above spells. Also note that if an above spell is modified to only work on magic items, it can work on magic items that aren't technological in nature.

Beechgnome
2017-05-06, 04:37 PM
Abjuration Wizard with some Fighter or Bladesinger. Mostly for the Wizard Simulacrum and Clone Spells.

You're Makin' copies...

Beechgnome
2017-05-07, 01:28 PM
Abjuration Wizard with some Fighter or Bladesinger. Mostly for the Wizard Simulacrum and Clone Spells.

You're Makin' copies...

To elaborate further, I'd begin as a War Domain Cleric (you were, after all, created by your God of War, Tony Stark.) (Yes, I know Hank Pym in comics, but we're talking movies here.)

Point buy: Str 15 Dex 8 Con 12 Int 14 Wis 14 Cha 8, then add your +1 to Str and Con.

At first level you'll have Heavy armor (start w/ Chain, work your way up to plate), shield if you wish (you won't really need it) and martial weapons.

You'll have the War Priest ability, giving you a chance to take a second attack as a bonus action twice per long rest.

Skills up to you, both Insight and Persuasion probably necessary if you want to be a mastermind with this terrible Charisma. As a decommisioned Soldier, you could take Athletics and Intimidation as your other skills. Or make up your own suitable background and get the skills Ultron would probably have (Arcana? Perception? A tool proficiency?)

For spells you could have:
Cantrips: Guidance, Light, Mending (don't worry about attack cantrips, you'll get those later)
1st level: Divine favor, Shield of Faith, Bless, Guiding bolt (this is your blast cannon), Healing Word.

So you'll have:

AC 17 (Chain+warforged) 19 w/ shield or shield of faith, 21 w/ both
HP 9
Initiative: -1
Speed 30
Melee attack +5 to hit Damage by weapon+3 (+d4 w/ Divine Favor)

At second level you switch over to Wizard, and from here on in, Abjuration Wizard.

Start w/ Fire bolt, Shocking grasp and Mage hand. Maybe add Booming blade at 4th level, Lightning lure at 10th.
1st level spells: Start w/ Shield, Alarm, Protection from Evil/Good, Thunderwave, Absorb Elements and Magic Missile in your spell book.

Eventually you'll be able to add all sorts of thematic spells designed to help you move and blast stuff, while still being capable of dishing it out in a fight, and always remembering to have a few adjuration spells to keep replenishing your Arcane ward.

Spells like: Catapult, Arcane lock, Mirror image, Levitate, Shatter, Hold person, Counterspell, Dispel Magic, Fly, Haste, Melf's minute meteors, Fire Shield, Otiluke's Resilient Sphere, Fabricate (build seige weapons!), Telekinesis, Wall of Force, Disintegrate, etc.

Once you get to those higher levels you'll be able to take spells to allow you to keep Ultron alive, even as your first body dies: Magic Jar at 6th, Simulacrum to create fake copies at 7th, Clone at 8th. Ultron Mark VII can be slowly incubating in a Demiplane while Ultron Mark VI is adventuring away.

At 5th level (4th level Wiz) I'd take Resilience (Constitution), then 9th, 13th, 17th get your Int up to 20. You could use your last at 20 for whatever tickles your fancy... +2 Con, +2 Strength, or a Feat like Alert, to make up for your lousy Initiative. If your DM is granting bonus feats, Alert or Resilience (Con) are both fine choices. But really, who gets to 20th level anyway?

At say, 5th level, you could look like this:

AC 19 (Full plate, Warforged) 21 w/ Shield of Faith, 24 w/ Shield, 26 w/ both
HP 34 (+ 10 replenishing hp via Arcane Ward)
Initiative: -1 (Let them act, you got lots of reaction spells)
Speed 30
Str 16 Dex 8 Con 14 Int 14 Wis 14 Cha 8
Saves (prof): +5 Con, +5 Wis, +2 Cha

Melee attack: +6 to hit, by weapon damage +3. Use as Booming blade Cantrip or as Attack and make second attack with War Priest. (+d4 dam w/ Divine Favor).
Spell attack: Fire bolt (+5 to hit, 2d10 fire to damage), Shocking grasp (+5 to hit, adv. vs. armored, 2d8 lightning), Guiding bolt (+5 to hit, 4d6 Radiant damage)...
Spell Save DC: 13

Spells:
Cantrips: Guidance, Light, Mending, Fire bolt, Shocking grasp, Mage hand, Booming blade
1st level (4): Divine favor, Shield of Faith, Bless, Guiding bolt, Healing Word, Shield, Absorb Elements
2nd level (3): Arcane lock, Mirror image, Hold person, Levitate
3rd level (2): No spells known

Your Arcane Ward will have 10 hit points, and you'll be able to replenish it with Absorb Elements, Arcane Lock, Shield, Shield of Faith.

Really your main weakness is Dex saves, but everybody has a weakness, and I think your superior Armor Class and replenishing temporary hit points will keep you standing to blast away with fire bolt or guiding bolt or whatever.

DracoKnight
2017-05-07, 01:47 PM
To elaborate further, I'd begin as a War Domain Cleric (you were, after all, created by your God of War, Tony Stark.) (Yes, I know Hank Pym in comics, but we're talking movies here.)

Point buy: Str 15 Dex 8 Con 12 Int 14 Wis 14 Cha 8, then add your +1 to Str and Con.

At first level you'll have Heavy armor (start w/ Chain, work your way up to plate), shield if you wish (you won't really need it) and martial weapons.

You'll have the War Priest ability, giving you a chance to take a second attack as a bonus action twice per long rest.

Skills up to you, both Insight and Persuasion probably necessary if you want to be a mastermind with this terrible Charisma. As a decommisioned Soldier, you could take Athletics and Intimidation as your other skills. Or make up your own suitable background and get the skills Ultron would probably have (Arcana? Perception? A tool proficiency?)

For spells you could have:
Cantrips: Guidance, Light, Mending (don't worry about attack cantrips, you'll get those later)
1st level: Divine favor, Shield of Faith, Bless, Guiding bolt (this is your blast cannon), Healing Word.

So you'll have:

AC 17 (Chain+warforged) 19 w/ shield or shield of faith, 21 w/ both
HP 9
Initiative: -1
Speed 30
Melee attack +5 to hit Damage by weapon+3 (+d4 w/ Divine Favor)

At second level you switch over to Wizard, and from here on in, Abjuration Wizard.

Start w/ Fire bolt, Shocking grasp and Mage hand. Maybe add Booming blade at 4th level, Lightning lure at 10th.
1st level spells: Start w/ Shield, Alarm, Protection from Evil/Good, Thunderwave, Absorb Elements and Magic Missile in your spell book.

Eventually you'll be able to add all sorts of thematic spells designed to help you move and blast stuff, while still being capable of dishing it out in a fight, and always remembering to have a few adjuration spells to keep replenishing your Arcane ward.

Spells like: Catapult, Arcane lock, Mirror image, Levitate, Shatter, Hold person, Counterspell, Dispel Magic, Fly, Haste, Melf's minute meteors, Fire Shield, Otiluke's Resilient Sphere, Fabricate (build seige weapons!), Telekinesis, Wall of Force, Disintegrate, etc.

Once you get to those higher levels you'll be able to take spells to allow you to keep Ultron alive, even as your first body dies: Magic Jar at 6th, Simulacrum to create fake copies at 7th, Clone at 8th. Ultron Mark VII can be slowly incubating in a Demiplane while Ultron Mark VI is adventuring away.

At 5th level (4th level Wiz) I'd take Resilience (Constitution), then 9th, 13th, 17th get your Int up to 20. You could use your last at 20 for whatever tickles your fancy... +2 Con, +2 Strength, or a Feat like Alert, to make up for your lousy Initiative. If your DM is granting bonus feats, Alert or Resilience (Con) are both fine choices. But really, who gets to 20th level anyway?

At say, 5th level, you could look like this:

AC 19 (Full plate, Warforged) 21 w/ Shield of Faith, 24 w/ Shield, 26 w/ both
HP 34 (+ 10 replenishing hp via Arcane Ward)
Initiative: -1 (Let them act, you got lots of reaction spells)
Speed 30
Str 16 Dex 8 Con 14 Int 14 Wis 14 Cha 8
Saves (prof): +5 Con, +5 Wis, +2 Cha

Melee attack: +6 to hit, by weapon damage +3. Use as Booming blade Cantrip or as Attack and make second attack with War Priest. (+d4 dam w/ Divine Favor).
Spell attack: Fire bolt (+5 to hit, 2d10 fire to damage), Shocking grasp (+5 to hit, adv. vs. armored, 2d8 lightning), Guiding bolt (+5 to hit, 4d6 Radiant damage)...
Spell Save DC: 13

Spells:
Cantrips: Guidance, Light, Mending, Fire bolt, Shocking grasp, Mage hand, Booming blade
1st level (4): Divine favor, Shield of Faith, Bless, Guiding bolt, Healing Word, Shield, Absorb Elements
2nd level (3): Arcane lock, Mirror image, Hold person, Levitate
3rd level (2): No spells known

Your Arcane Ward will have 10 hit points, and you'll be able to replenish it with Absorb Elements, Arcane Lock, Shield, Shield of Faith.

Really your main weakness is Dex saves, but everybody has a weakness, and I think your superior Armor Class and replenishing temporary hit points will keep you standing to blast away with fire bolt or guiding bolt or whatever.

Actually...that's pretty solid. I might have to go with this! :smallbiggrin;

Beechgnome
2017-05-08, 06:54 AM
Actually...that's pretty solid. I might have to go with this! :smallbiggrin;

I'll be DMing Against the Giants soon and the players wanted to make an Avengers themed party, featuring Stony Tark, a rock gnome artificer gunsmith. I was going to run it straight, but now I think I might swap out the drow at the end for Ultron.

I think I'll give him adamantine armor (no Crits) and have him prepare a Contingency spell to cast stoneskin if reduced to half his hit points. At abjuration 14 he'll be resistant to spell damage and Mind Blank will make him immune to psychic. He'll be like a tiny Tarrasque.