PDA

View Full Version : Backround for a character.

keeper2161
2017-05-06, 01:20 PM
This is a background for a character of mine. Let me know what you guys think.

The Fall Of Kasserac

Kasserac was an aasimar. When he was born he had a brand like birth mark covering both his shoulders and along his upper back. At first the midwife thought he was diseased. She took Kasserac to a priest. The priest casted a spell to figure out what was wrong with the child. As he finised chanting the words of his divine spell he heard a great rumble and burst of light appeared before. Standing before him is a Solar, the right hand of many gods. Legends say there are only 24 in existence. The Solar's voice boomed around the room "THE GODS HAVE LOOKED INTO THIS CHILD'S FUTURE. HE IS DESTINED TO BE A CHAMPION OF THE GODS AND TO SLAY A GREAT EVIL. HIS DESTINY IS SO GREAT IT BURNED A MARK ON HIS BACK. HIS NAME SHALL BE KASSERAC! WHEN HE TURNS OF AGE HE SHALL COME WITH ME TO BE TRAINED WITH THE GODS!" With this the Solar disappeared in a flash of light and so sealed the fate of this young child. True to the Solar's words when Kasserac came the age of 14 a group of celestials and asimar came for Kasserac. While he was sad to leave his parents he had prepared for this his entire life. For giving up their child to the gods his parents were granted many more children. From then on their bloodline produced many great heroes.

Kasserac was a gifted child. Even at the young age of 14 he was able to beat many of his trainers. He was intelligent and wise beyond his years. Often counseling his other trainees on matters of the heart. Even the celestials training him were taken aback at his progress. Of all his gifts he did have one curse. He believed his destiny made him invincible. He took risks that worried his mentor. His mentor thought Kasserac would grow out of this. That this was a curse of youth and nothing more. If his mentor could see the future he would beat that belief out of Kasserac.

At the age of 21 Kasserac was ready to go out into the planes and make his mark. The celestials returned him to his village as a starting point. Something familiar for him. With him was three others. Aritian his brother in arms and friend from the moment he was taken to be trained. Imesah the women he loved and who loved him back. Pandak his mentor to guide him even after training. Aritian and Imesah were aasimar while Pandak was a half-celestial elf. Together these four were to traverse the land and find Kasserac's destiny. Along the way the solved many problems and stopped many lesser evils. They made a name for themselves as an adventuring group. The Blades of the Gods they were called. There were many close calls and Kasserac's belief in his destiny only grew with each close call. But they never found his destiny. They put down many evils but none were great enough. That is until they came upon a seemingly quiet village.

At the age of 24 Kasserac and his group heard a call for help. Surronding a dense forest were 5 villages. Three of them disappeared within the last 2 months. Even the buildings were gone. As though the whole village was disassembled and moved. When they came to the village that sent the call for help they came to an empty village. No smoke filled the chimneys. No animals filled the pens. The whole village was silent. They moved from house to house but found nothing. It was as though the villagers just woke up and walked away. They spent the night in the inn and lit the hearth. While they did partake in the ale and food the inn had to offer they put more gold on the counter then what they ate was worth. They weren't thieves after all.

As they were silently relaxing by the hearth at the inn they heard movement outside the inn. They looked out the windows and saw the whole host of the village. Only something was wrong. Their eyes glowed like coals in the night. As Kasserac and his group drew their weapons the villagers attacked. They were like rapid animals. Throwing them selves at the windows and door. Clawing at the wood to the point where blood flowed from their fingers. The villagers quickly broke through the windows and poured in. Kasserac and his group were hardy veteran adventures that faced many evils and delved into many dungeons. But nothing compared to the horror of killing the villagers they came to help. It was like putting down the many monsters they had faced but these monsters wore the faces of villagers. One looked like the villages blacksmith. His apron covered in coal and dirt. One was a farmer. His hands rough and his skin tan. Kasserac was shaken to his core but he couldn't stop swing his sword. He knew the moment he stopped they would tear him apart. Tears flowed from eyes as his childhood flashed before him. These villagers were truly monsters though. No matter the wound they just kept coming. It was like fighting the dead. Many were missing limbs. Wounds that nearly split them in two did nothing to slow them down. It was a half an hour later when the final villager laid still. Their armor and blade dripped in blood. Kasserac was shaking. Rivers of tears and blood ran down his breastplate. Imesah put a hand of his shoulder. No one talked. They all were in shock from the blood bath before them. Finally Pandak suggested they move on and find something to wash themselves with. Kasserac nodded silently.

They found a small river just beyond the village. The submerged themselves in the water. Letting it wash away their shame. When they got out Kasserac looked at the river. His face went white. The once peaceful river now ran red. Bits of flesh that came loose from their swords and armor now clung to the river bed. Scrapes of clothes that had gotten stuck to their bloodied armor floated aimlessly down the river. Kasserac had faced many monsters before but these monsters had so vividly called memories of his childhood. The kind farmer that let him pick apples from his orchard. The tough blacksmith that taught him how to hammer a nail. The wizened old woman that taught him which plants to eat and which would make him sick. He saw the faces of his village in these monsters. He vowed to enact vengeance upon whatever evil had twist these kind people to it's will.

Once they had dried themselves off they returned to the village. They stayed clear of the inn not wanting to relive the horror within. While it was still very early in the morning, before the sun had even come up, they could see movement in the village square. Drawing their swords they readied themselves. It was one of the villagers crawling toward them. His left leg mangled and broken. The right leg cut off at the knee. Once he got within sight of them he spoke. In a deep, unnatural, broken voice he said "You who are champion. Enter our chapel and receive our gift. Piece together our melody. Make whole what was once shattered. Hear our song and rejoice, Champion of the Shattered Song." The man went limp as though whatever dark magic empowered him finished it's duty.

Champion of the Shattered Song? Of the four of them the word champion could only describe Kasserac. The rest of what the man said was gimberish. They gazed uneasily at each other. Kasserac searched the man for any thing useful. Within the dead mans hand has a hastily drawn but detailed map. This must be the "chapel" the mad man spoke of. Kasserac found the map easy to follow. So though it was made especially for him. He shuddered at the thought. They eventually come to the mouth of a cave. The dirt had the marks of several dozen footprints. This must be where the villagers came from. They drew their swords and entered into the cave. The image of falling into the abyss crossed everyones mind.

The cave was dark but, as their origins were from another plane, the dark never bothered them. They came to a door that sat unnaturally within the cave wall. The door itself was made from some unknown dark wood. It seemed to twist and warp the stone in ways that made it look melted and burned. Like the stone was rejecting the wood, very reminiscent of a body dispelling cancer. None of them wanted to touch the door, except Kasserac. He wasn't disturbed by the strange door or stone. He found it pleasing. He looked around about to tell everyone how good the door looked when he saw the horror on their faces. He decided not to tell them. Kasserac walked up and opened the door. The room inside was an odd sight. While the outside was disturbing the inside looked like a comforting home. Warm furniture, a hearth, and a couple of small bookcases. They group confusedly entered the house. They expected some horror of a dungeon. This was someone's house. A large house too. It had several rather spacious rooms. In the back was a similar door as the front although the stone was not warped. When they opened the door they found a large chapel. This must be the chapel the mad man spoke of.

While the house looked lived in the chapel looked abandoned. The wooden pews rotted away. Even the walls looked stale. The only thing that seemed untouched by time was the alter. When they drew closer they saw something on the alter. It was a holy symbol similar to what paladin's use but horrible misshaped. As though someone hammered many different symbols together. Twisted and warped. Kasserac looked down at his own holy symbol. Compared to the one on the alter his looked gaudy and simple. The one on the alter was beautiful and elaborate. A thought that was not his own entered his mind. This symbol was made just for him. As Kasserac reached for the symbol Pandak's hand stopped him. "Don't Kasserac" Pandak said fearfully. "That thing is evil. We must take precautions." "Evil?" muttered Kasserac. It didn't seem evil. It seemed beautiful. A pressure started in his chest. A gnawing aching feeling. He had to have it. As Pandak turned to talk to the other two Kasserac dropped his holy symbol and reached for the other.

His hand grasped the malshapened symbol. All three looked at Kasserac's back. "Kasserac?" Imesah asked. Fear crept in. "Do you hear it?" A voice deeper then Kasserac's spoke. "Do you hear it Imesah? That beautiful music. It is coming from my own ears." Kasserac's spoke with his back still turned. "What....what is wrong Kasserac?" stammered Imesah. "Imesah my love. Do you want to make a better world?" Even though they couldn't see his face they could feel his smile. "What are you talking about Kasserac?" Aritian demanded. Something was not right with Kasserac. They all could tell that. "We could do it Imesah....we could sing together a better world. A world where our song is the only song left. A world where our melody rang in the souls of everyone." Kasserac raised his arms as though praising the sky. "No pain. No hate. No death. Just our song....wouldn't that be ncie Imesah?" Song? Melody? This was sounding like the mad man in then village. The ring of steel clearing a scabbard sounded through the room. Pandek's sword was pointed toward Kasserac. "My dear old mentor. You would pull your sword on me? Your student?" Kasserac spit with anger. "You give me no choice Kasserac. Your mind has gone. I told you that cursed symbol was evil. We needed to take precautions." Grim determination was drawn on Pandek's face. "But I am meant for greatness Pandek. I am destined to defeat a great evil. What if this great evil is the evil of thought? The free will that flows through us all." The maddness dripped from Kasserac's voice. "It gives us power. Many abuse that power. Giving in to lesser urges. Greed....hate.....lust. Wouldn't the world be better if it lost these things? Do you still wish to cross blades with me?" "But at the cost of love, happiness, and joy. What you propose would only cause misery. Drop the symbol Kasserac. There are three of us and one of you." Aritian drew his sword.

Imesah was hesitant. This was the man she loved. She couldn't draw her sword against Kasserac. "Three? It seems like it is only 2." Kasserac laughed drawing his own sword. Kasserac turned and Imesah gasped. His brilliant golden skin had turned gray. His once silver hair turned black. His eye were the same green as before, the only thing he kept from his human mother, but they shown with a different light. Madness glinted is his eyes. At the sight of Kasserac tears flowed from Imesah. "Kasserac has fallen.....we have no choice." Imesah drew her sword. Kasserac laughed. "Even from an early age none of you have been able to beat me in single combat. What chance do you have now?" His words bit. Even as a half-celestial Pandek wasn't able to beat Kasserac. Blessed with a strength and intelligence beyond that of any normal aasimar, only the full celestials could match him in battle. But there were three of them and one of him. While strong and smart he couldn't protect from all three. "Don't be stupid. While none of us have beaten Kasserac in single combat he can't defeat us all if we attack in unison." Pandek sweat dripped from his forehead. He couldn't help but feel fear. Kasserac was something more now. The power rolling off of him was almost tangible. "You can't defeat me. Not with my lady with me. She has given me power you couldn't even dream of. Let me give you a taste of that power!" Kasserac stepped forward and disappeared. "What!?" shouted Aritian. No paladin has this power. No aaismar should...Kasserac reappeared. With his sword through Aritian's chest. Aritian tried to speak as he collapsed to his knees but only blood came. "Doors are great aren't they? They always seem to take you to wherever you need" Kasserac put his foot on Aritian's back. He wrenched his sword free with a spout of blood. Time seemed to slow down as Aritian fell. Imesah knew Aritian for years. They grew up together. He couldn't be dead. "no....NO!" Imesah charged Kesserac. "Stop Imesah we need to retreat!" It was too late. Kesserac easily parried Imesah's blade and sliced open her stomach.

Pandek barely saw Kasserac's blade move. What evil power had corrupted Kasserac? What gave him that unnatural strength and speed? The symbol! Kasserac said his lady was with him. What ever demon possessed him must be trapped in that symbol. He doesn't need to defeat Kasserac. He just needs to take the symbol away. "You can't." Pandek's face went white. How could he know? "Your mind is so open. Your thoughts are so boring. If I had to put a color on them then gray would be it." Kasserac looked a Pandek with exhilaration . "She isn't a demon. She is a deity. Before recorded history her brethren and her came to this existence from another. The gods of this existence didn't take to kindly to that. The war that followed ended in the imprisonment or death of every single one of her family. She was the lady of song. The gods defeated her and tore her song from her. They shattered it into 100 pieces and scattered it across the prime material plane." As Kasserac talked his eyes grew in madness. "The gods slew her body but she lived in her music. Her temples were broken. Her priesthood killed. The only thing she had left was this one altar. This one amulet. It belonged to a farmer who wished to be a bard. In his dreams she found him. She gifted the amulet to him as a symbol of music she heard within him. When she fell he lost the music. He abandoned the chapel and the symbol. But she found refuge in it. So far untold years she sat, trapped in this amulet. Until 2 months ago, from the nearby villages, a group of kids found this place. She taught them her song and through them the rest of the villagers. Not everyone is strong enough to survive her song. Those that do become slaves to her will. But the ones that are too weak become zombies. She needed a champion. So she had her slaves send a call for help. Many adventures came. None were strong enough. Until us." Kasserac smiled. "I am strong enough. I am her champion." Kasseracs laughs a deep hollow laugh. "I shall be the one to bring together her song. To sing a new world for her family." Kasserac sways. "Ah can you hear it Pandek? Can you hear the music?" Sadness spreads across Pandek's face. He can't defeat Kasserac. He will die here. One of his students will kill him. Fallen to madness. "Kasserac I am sorry." Pandek cried. "You can still come back. This isn't your doing. This is that cursed amulet. The gods will forgive you. These aren't you crimes. You said it yourself those who hear her song are her slaves." Kasserac smiled "You old fool. I am not her slave. Her song is a duet. It needs two to sing a world into perfect order. Before it was one of her siblings. But they are all trapped or dead. I am her other half. I am her husband. My thoughts are my own. My crimes are my own!" Pandek's grip on his sword faltered. This means Kasserac's fall is permanent. He has lost his place in the celestial heavens. His destiny is gone. Unless....

"You said that the gods split her song into a hundred pieces. You plan to collect them all?" Curiosity crossed Kasserac's face. "Yes I do." Pandek gripped his sword with renewed strength. "Then I must stop you. For the free will of all, I will end you." Pandek charged Kesserac. Kesserac leveled his palm toward Pandek and a beam of energy shot toward Pandek. He ducked and continued to charge. Swinging his sword with all his might Pandek aimed for the amulet. With a look of confusion Kasserac barely brought up his sword to protect the amulet. His arm isn't as fast as before. The amulet! He said she was trapped. Maybe she could only grant him so much power before it runs out. This is his chance. Pandek aimed a kick toward Kasserac's ankle. It was a shameful hit but necessary. The kick surprised Kasserac. Dropping him to one knee. He thought his mentor was more honorable then that. Kasserac looked up but Pandek's sword was already swinging. He brought up his sword to block but he didn't expect it to go for his other hand. He thought Pandek was trying to kill him. Pandek's blade found it's mark. The amulet was thrown from Kasserac's hand. There it is done. Pandek relaxed his stance. "Not quite" With a grim face Kasserac's hand shot toward Pandek's face. Grabbing his face Kasserac sneered. "Good-bye my dear mentor." The same energy as before built up in his palm. With no chance of escaping Pandek said "Find redemption Kasserac. With it smote this evil once and for all." The blast enveloped Pandek's head. Kasserac let his mentors corpse fall and collapsed. "What....have I done?" Kesserac blacked out.

A pain woke him up. What happened? His mind hurt. It was difficult to think. Like walking through mud. As he tried to sit up but pain wracked his collar. What is this? Touching his collar bone he felt two small metal rings. They were attached to someting. A metal cord? Following the cord to its end he found the amulet. "My last holy symbol." The voice spoke with a familiar feminine tone. Kasserac looked up and saw Imesah standing before him. No not her. "Stand my champion." At her command Kasserac stood up. Looking around the room he didn't see Imesah's corpse. "I am Imesah. I am the lady of song. This was a contest. To see who was the strongest. To see who was worthy to bring my song back together." This didn't make any sense. His mind hurt. It was difficult to think. "But my mentor....my brother are dead." Imesah laughed. "They aren't dead. This was a test. Look around." He looked around and saw an empty chapel. No corpses. Didn't I kill them? His mind hurt. It was difficult to think. "They are safe. You will see them one day. Now that you are my champion. I set before you a task. Go out and find my verses. Bring them together and we shall sing a new world. I shall be with you always my love. I shall keep you company on your long journey." Yes he loved her and she loved him. Singing a new world with Imesah sounded like a good thing. He got up and stumbled out of the chapel. "Find redemption Kasserac. With it smote this evil once and for all." A voice rung in his head. Turning for one last look at the chapel he saw someone. But they were fuzzy. Why were they fuzzy? Kasserac thought being fuzzy would be pretty fun. He imagined being fuzzy all over. A laugh spilled from his lips. A broken laugh. He walked out of the chapel and the cave giggling to himself.

Three years later he acquired three verses. But those words rang in his head. Find redemption. Whether he knew or not Kasserac sought out redemption. With him was the lady of song. Like a hallucination she followed. With him was something else. The one he couldn't see. Something was blocking his view of it. When he tried to think about that being his mind hurt. Kasserac had many titles before. Kasserac the Strong, The Just, The choosen of the Gods. Now he was Kasserac the Mad, Kasserac the Fallen.......Kasserac the Broken.

Unoriginal
2017-05-06, 01:52 PM
It's a background that could work for a BBEG or other evil NPCs, but I don't see anyone who would want to adventure with a guy like that.

It's not badly written, but the "and then the guy becomes evil just like that" kinds of dispel any stakes for Kasserac. He doesn't fall for any of his character flaws or anything. He's just a beyond-overpowered dude who became evil by someone snapping their fingers. It's especially jarring because the guy is supposed to be the ultra-good champion of the good gods, and that the narrative goes on and on about how great he is.

Also the whole thing about "the evil of free will from which people needs to be freed" is kinda ... weird, I suppose? Not sure what entity in DnD would use that kind of empty rhetoric.

keeper2161
2017-05-06, 08:56 PM
Well I was thinking his new god would be from the far realm. The alien mind warped him into killing his friends and loved one. When he passed out the far realm entity used the amulet to latch on to him and made the changes permanent.