PDA

View Full Version : The Ultimate Archer

Night Eternal
2017-05-06, 01:39 PM
I was really excited to see the arcane archer come out but was disappointed when i read it through. So i was trying to figure out how to make the best archer.

Ranger make great archer especially with the hunter subclass.

I did like the the arcane shot that arcane archer gave you. And the fighter class does give you 4 attacks if you stick with it and the action surge for a possible 8 shots in one turn.

i've heard arguments made for going rogue a couple levels for their sneak attack and expertise.

I personal like adding to lvl of wizard for blade song ( +10ft movement and + int to ac ) and shield, find familiar, message, booming blade. This allows me to play the scout of the group. And if i get into trouble i can buff up and get out quick.

So what do you guys think. what would make the best combination to make the the supreme hunter.

Sigreid
2017-05-06, 01:50 PM
It's pretty much hands down the arcane archer as written in my opinion. 4-8 attacks per round. Every arrow is magic - even the cheepo ones you stole off the last goblin you killed. Sharpshooter and archery style + the automatically magic arrows for +10 damage with an extreme reliability. That elven accuracy feat. Lots of ASI so you can have max dex + Con pretty easily in addition to a few feats. And potentially crossbow expert so you don't even have to switch to a melee weapon when they close in. All this without being dependent on an expendable resource or a special situation.

joaber
2017-05-06, 01:52 PM
I was really excited to see the arcane archer come out but was disappointed when i read it through. So i was trying to figure out how to make the best archer.

I did like the the arcane shot that arcane archer gave you. And the fighter class does give you 4 attacks if you stick with it and the action surge for a possible 8 shots in one turn.

i've heard arguments made for going rogue a couple levels for their sneak attack and expertise.

I personal like adding to lvl of wizard for blade song ( +10ft movement and + int to ac ) and shield, find familiar, message, booming blade. This allows me to play the scout of the group. And if i get into trouble i can buff up and get out quick.

So what do you guys think. what would make the best combination to make the the supreme hunter.

If you attack with a two hand weapon (all bows and almost all crossbows), bladesong ends, so this doesn't help muh an archer build.

lunaticfringe
2017-05-06, 01:55 PM
I depends on how you are defining Ultimate. I don't like scouting on my pure archers because you run smack into things when you work best hanging back. I like Battlemaster for fancy trick shots, maybe a bit Ranger for utility.

Night Eternal
2017-05-06, 02:19 PM
If you attack with a two hand weapon (all bows and almost all crossbows), bladesong ends, so this doesn't help muh an archer build.

That is a fear point. ButAn archer going to end up in close combat at some point. Especially if you are scout. the extra ac and movement allows you to escape close combat situations or survive in them. At those time you whip out the dagger, darts, or swords. If you choose a dex weapon you wont be at a disadvantage in close combat. you can pretty much hold your own.

My dm knows my group like distant fighting so he stick engineers things so we forced to adapt.

It is a flavor thing though . i just like having my bases covered

Mortis_Elrod
2017-05-06, 03:07 PM
Arcane archer 11/12 Kensai 9/8

gabrion
2017-05-06, 03:14 PM

I think a Moonbow Lock 3/Bard 10/X 7 looks really good. Bard obviously offers a lot of utility in general, but it also gives extra attack (valor), swift quiver, and spell slots for pactsmiting with the moonbow. The rest of the build could go various ways, but 3 fighter (champion) would give more frequent crits, archery style, and action surge. 3 rouge (assassin) would give insane burst damage if you regularly get surprise on enemies, as well as the usually rogue goodies.

jaappleton
2017-05-06, 03:30 PM
Circle of the Shepard Druid has an ability at lv2 that costs a Bonus Action, and grants Advantage on all ranged attacks on creatures in the area for a minute every short rest.

For a 2 level dip, that's amazing in my eyes. Plus you get access to first level Druid spells, like the amazing Faerie Fire for when you've expended the Druid ability.

Night Eternal
2017-05-06, 03:38 PM
Ultimate Archer build

2lvl of wizard BladeSong
• 2 cantrips and 6 spells
• +10 feet movement
• + int mod to Ac
• Advantage on Con checks / dex checks

11lvl of revised Arcane archer
• 3 attacks
• Second wind
• Action surge
• Fighiting style
• 3 ability score improvements
• Indomitable ( reroll a saving throw)
• 3rd lvl Magic Arrow, Arcane Shot (2 options), Arcane Archer’s Lore
• 7th Curving Shot ( miss target with magic area can reroll to attack some else), Arcane Shot (3 options)
• 10th Arcane Shot (4 options)

3lvls of ranger. Either hunter ranger for the extra attack or damage or horizon walker for the ignore resistance and extra damage

4lvl in rogue
• Sneak attack
• expertise
• 1 asi

what do you guys thing of this

Crusher
2017-05-06, 03:55 PM
Kinda depends on the level range.

For low levels, Ranger(hunter)/cleric(war) is snazzy.

Ranger 1 then cleric 1 then ranger up to 5 then cleric.

Assuming a 16 Wis, Horde breaker, and 2 close-together enemies, you can boost youself to 2 attacks/round (3 times/long rest) at level 2, 2 real attacks/round at 4, (boostable to 3) and 3 attacks/round (boostable to 4) at level 6.

Get a bless(which you can cast) or faerie fire, take Sharpshooter and you become a wrecking ball.

Also, whenever you get cleric 2 (probably level 7), channel divinity can be used for a +10 to hit, useable after you see the roll. Can be useful for RP stuff like 'I tell the king "I am the greatest archer in the land!" "What!?!? Prove it!" "Sure! I will shoot the worm out of a flying sparrow's mouth 500' away!"

At level 7, with a 16 DEX and Archery style, you're looking at a +8 to hit normally, no range modifier up to 600', and then cast Bless on yourself for a +10 (on average). Throw on ANOTHER +10, and AC ~22 is automatic and you're better than 50/50 up to AC 30 or so.

"Its AC 25? I'll do it BLINDFOLDED (disadvantage)!"

Thats some fun ultimate archer stuff.

joaber
2017-05-06, 07:51 PM
That is a fear point. ButAn archer going to end up in close combat at some point. Especially if you are scout. the extra ac and movement allows you to escape close combat situations or survive in them. At those time you whip out the dagger, darts, or swords. If you choose a dex weapon you wont be at a disadvantage in close combat. you can pretty much hold your own.

My dm knows my group like distant fighting so he stick engineers things so we forced to adapt.

It is a flavor thing though . i just like having my bases covered

Sorry but is way better invest in crossbow expert, or close quarter shooter or cunning action (or be a goblin), invisibility, darkness, etc. So you can fully focus in your ranged weapon.

There are other topics about ranged builds, invest levels as wizard is a total waste for "the OP archer" compared with the other options.

gabrion
2017-05-06, 08:17 PM
Sorry but is way better invest in crossbow expert, or close quarter shooter or cunning action (or be a goblin), invisibility, darkness, etc. So you can fully focus in your ranged weapon.

There are other topics about ranged builds, invest levels as wizard is a total waste for "the OP archer" compared with the other options.

Actually I think wizard can be viable in an ultimate archer build, insofar as any class that can give spell slots can work with moonbow. Bladesinger in that regard is ok because it gives extra attack, making 3 lock/17 Wizard work. It's wastes most of the bladesinger abilities though.

Another option is lore wizard 15/bladelock 5. That build at least gives a way to get swift quiver, but is still suboptimal. Ultimately I think wizard can sort of work, but bard works far better in a moonbow build.

joaber
2017-05-06, 09:13 PM
Actually I think wizard can be viable in an ultimate archer build, insofar as any class that can give spell slots can work with moonbow. Bladesinger in that regard is ok because it gives extra attack, making 3 lock/17 Wizard work. It's wastes most of the bladesinger abilities though.

Another option is lore wizard 15/bladelock 5. That build at least gives a way to get swift quiver, but is still suboptimal. Ultimately I think wizard can sort of work, but bard works far better in a moonbow build.

True, bladesinger get extra attack, this is a point. But valor bard probably could do better.
Lore wizard would work only at end game.
Theuge could be good ranged option for eldritch blast as arcane trickester domain, pass without trace and a copy of yourself while your hide. Not "archer" but work too.

With moonbow, wu jen is an amazing option with his spellslots convertion and amazing things for archers. Get 3 lvl as champion to crit at 19-20 with elvish accuracy.

Sorcerer can ge great too, shadow sorcerer with cheap darkness or old favored soul with extra attack. And quick eldritch blast for even more damage. One lvl as fighter for close quarter shooter that can improve ranged weapon and eldritch blast.

So, with ranger, fighter, rogue, mystic, bard, sorcerer and warlock in the options, I don't think wizard is a great add.