PDA

View Full Version : Help naming a God and Church

iceman10058
2017-05-06, 03:44 PM
I need help naming a god and church. he is an evil god of light and fire. I usually dont have this issue but everything I am coming up with is being used by another video game publisher, and I do not want to be accused of ripping off or stealing the name. ideas guys/gals?

Honest Tiefling
2017-05-06, 04:00 PM
The Burning Scourge? I mean, I ripped off the Burning Hate, but that technically isn't from a video game publisher! I think the Burning Tyrant is close, but doesn't quite roll off the tongue.

The Pyromancer could also work if he's a bit more of the walk softly and burniate anything type of guy. Just because he is evil doesn't mean he can't be humble! Just doing his part to cleanse this world of unbelievers (of him). The Lord of Pyromancy is also classic.

jayem
2017-05-06, 04:27 PM
I need help naming a god and church. he is an evil god of light and fire. I usually dont have this issue but everything I am coming up with is being used by another video game publisher, and I do not want to be accused of ripping off or stealing the name. ideas guys/gals?

Hmm the really obvious answers really will be taken. Names obviously tie in with meaning.
Putting vaguely appropriate words in google translate (so with no understanding of the subtleties)

Latin unsurprisingly is Lu__, but you do have Ignis, Lych and Fax coming up as roots.
Hungarian has Gyjut & Feny , which covers fire and light. And Langol for Blaze
Greek Photo (fire/light), Fluga (blaze)
In Catalan fire is Foc.
Norwegian is Brann (fire) and Lys (light)

Which seem to be moderately free from being too common, while also having a reasonable sound to modify. I think you could probably do something with Fluga (Esifluga), and still expect the similarities with conflagration to resonate.

Are there any patterns to the church names, (I presume that's the organization). Perhaps "Followers of the blazing one?". I think it would depend on the setting (and nature of group, is it cult like, just one shrine of many, ...)

iceman10058
2017-05-06, 05:24 PM
Hey guys thanks a lot, this gives me a lot to work with.

Berenger
2017-05-06, 06:19 PM
Brandur. I just made this up from german "Brand" meaning "fire" or "burning", but then I googled it and apparently it's an actual nordic name meaning "fire", "flame", "sword blade" or "the one with the burning blade".

Slipperychicken
2017-05-06, 07:20 PM
A thin old man with a gray braided beard, garbed all in black, who bears a great staff and wears a long-horned goat skull upon his head. He is called Tim, and his worshipers are the Timotheans.

Dr paradox
2017-05-06, 07:55 PM
Thumos is the god's name, otherwise known as the Consuming Sun.

The church is known as the Cult of the Consuming Sun, or the Children of the Consuming Sun.

RazorChain
2017-05-07, 12:38 AM
Surtur (The black one)

He is the one that burns down the world during Ragnarok

or you could go with

Skirnir (the bright one)

GrayDeath
2017-05-07, 02:14 PM
The Devouring Fire/The Ceansing Destruction seems fitting too.

Or simply Wrath of Light?

Calthropstu
2017-05-07, 02:52 PM
Therix the Searing. His outward light masks the darkness of his heart.

veti
2017-05-07, 05:27 PM
Phos. (Greek for 'light'.) Simples.

Anonymouswizard
2017-05-07, 05:56 PM
Really, there's no shame in using a name that somebody else has used, original names are hard (and someone probably still used it before you). Heck, the major human 'nation' in my Space Opera setting almost share's it's name with the one in Peter F. Hamilton's Commonwealth Saga because darn it, that's a good name.

On original names, the best method is to start from a word and modify it slightly. So Ignis (fire) might be a good place to start, although I won't give any names as I tend to come up with incredibly dorky ones* ('Ignisite' was the first I came up with when I tried for an evil fire and light god).

* Not always bad, especially when you're making a 'don't let engineers name your ship' joke (my Interstellar Commonwealth has a spaceship that's about 12 kilometres in diameter, far larger than is practical in this setting, and I immediately christened it the ICV Overcompensator)

Berenger
2017-05-08, 01:50 AM
Really, there's no shame in using a name that somebody else has used, original names are hard (and someone probably still used it before you). Heck, the major human 'nation' in my Space Opera setting almost share's it's name with the one in Peter F. Hamilton's Commonwealth Saga because darn it, that's a good name.

On original names, the best method is to start from a word and modify it slightly. So Ignis (fire) might be a good place to start, although I won't give any names as I tend to come up with incredibly dorky ones* ('Ignisite' was the first I came up with when I tried for an evil fire and light god).

* Not always bad, especially when you're making a 'don't let engineers name your ship' joke (my Interstellar Commonwealth has a spaceship that's about 12 kilometres in diameter, far larger than is practical in this setting, and I immediately christened it the ICV Overcompensator)

In this case, I suggest Ignifaxius Flammenstrahl, the name of the standard face-melting spell in The Dark Eye. :D

Concrete
2017-05-08, 11:17 AM
"Mordbrand" is a fun one. It has those evil sounding syllables we all love, is built from words meaning "murder" and "fire, in the sense of a catastrophic instance of fire" and it's also the Swedish word for "Arson".

Problems would be if you don't like the Nordic flavor of the word, or if someone at your table is actually familiar with the language group, in which case, it might sound super lame.