View Full Version : Deleted

Arcemius
2017-05-06, 04:29 PM
Deleted Post, until I finish revising it.

Malifice
2017-05-06, 04:31 PM
This is an Archer Build that I've been putting together, and it is quite simple. I will be ignoring things such as race or anything that doesn't influence the build directly. This build is also an optimized, level 20 character, and it is solely based on max damage output.

The Build:

Lv. 20 Fighter (Sharpshooter Archetype)
20 Dexterity
Sharpshooter Feat and Crossbow Expert Feat
Heavy Crossbow

Level 20 fighter means 4 attacks and 2 action surges, and with the Archer Fighting Style, you gain +2 to attack rolls in addition to your +6 proficiency.

The Sharpshooter Archetype released in the Unearthed Arcana can help pack an insane punch. At level 3, you gain the Steady Aim ability. This allows you to take a bonus action which, in turn, causes every attack from there on out to do an additional amount of damage equal to your fighter lv/2 +2. So with a level 20 fighter you will do 12 extra damage per attack (20/2 = 10 + 2 = 12). You can use this feature 3 times before needing a short rest.

The Sharpshooter Feat will allow an extra 10 damage per attack with the penalty of -5 on attack rolls. However, that is simple canceling out the +5 you get from your 20 Dexterity, meaning you still have a +6 to attack rolls from your proficiency bonus and +2 from the Archer fighting style, so a +8.

And the Crossbow Expert Feat allows you to ignore the Loading quality on all weapons, meaning you can use your Heavy Crossbow as many times as you can attack, in this case 4 times with level 20 fighter.

So here is the damage you can do in a single shot:
1d10 (Heavy Crossbow) +5(Dex Mod) + 12 (Steady Aim bonus) + 10 (Sharpshooter feat)

Here is your Complete Nova Damage Turn

Bonus Action: Steady Aim
Attack Action: (1st) 1d10 +5 + 12 + 10
(2nd) 1d10 +5 + 12 + 10
(3rd) 1d10 +5 + 12 + 10
(4th) 1d10 +5 + 12 + 10
Action Surge (1st)
(2nd) 1d10 +5 + 12 + 10
(3rd) 1d10 +5 + 12 + 10
(4th) 1d10 +5 + 12 + 10
Action Surge (2nd)
(2nd) 1d10 +5 + 12 + 10
(3rd) 1d10 +5 + 12 + 10
(4th) 1d10 +5 + 12 + 10

Total Damage: 12d10 + 60 +144 +120 = 12d10 + 324 = (336 - 444 dmg)

This is obviously assuming that each attack hits, and you could even factor in magic weapons to increase the attack roll and damage roll as well. This is also not factoring in any spells that could possibly be cast and other various factors. It's also not factoring in the strain on ammo, but by this level, you should have plenty.

I'm open to any suggestions to the build, and also any corrections if I made any mistakes or any misinterpretations. Please tell me what you think, and I'd like to try to create the heaviest hitting, damage outputting archer possible.

You cant action surge 2/turn.

Arcemius
2017-05-06, 04:40 PM
Thank you, I will revise the build. I already had build ideas in mind, so this won't hinder me for too long.

Malifice
2017-05-06, 05:18 PM
Thank you, I will revise the build. I already had build ideas in mind, so this won't hinder me for too long.

Why bother with 20 level builds?

How many PCs have you had reach 20th level of all the ones you've actually played?

I stopped ages ago.

jaappleton
2017-05-06, 05:23 PM
Why bother with 20 level builds?

How many PCs have you had reach 20th level of all the ones you've actually played?

I stopped ages ago.

You and me both. I don't plan more than 4 levels. The character could die, priorities could shift, campaigns end, disband, reboot, etc.

Malifice
2017-05-06, 05:30 PM
You and me both. I don't plan more than 4 levels. The character could die, priorities could shift, campaigns end, disband, reboot, etc.

The old Wizards forums were full of builds that did awesome thing at 20th level, but had to spend several levels of suckage to get there.

Which in 99 percent of cases means you're just sucking.

I see it in 5e with Sorlocks. When played side by side with a Sorcerer they dont look so flash (Ive seen the Sorcerer 3/ Warlock 2 look over at the Sorcerer 5's fireball with envy) Im not sure if constantly being behind 2 levels in spells is worth that better at will cantrip damage earlier access to metamagic and ASIs and so forth.

To the OPs credit he did pick a class that is single classes and functions well as a spike damage dealer at all levels.

I have one in my current game (Sharpshooter Fighter 12 with a flaming bow that deals an extra +1d6 fire damage). His action surge novas are sight to behold. Im pretty skethcy with that archetype adding extra damage on top of the Archery style + Sharpshooters already blistering damage.

Heck a standard fighter with the Sharbshooter feat is bad enough. Layering even more damage (per hit) over the top is mental.