PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Share your unique items/weapons here!

Pr6i6e6st
2017-05-06, 05:45 PM
Hey guys! Back at it again!

My players like to draw or find pictures of gear and ask me about if it could be in the game. If it seems possible, I allow them to craft it or find someone to craft it, but never really put it in as regular loot.

Some examples are arrows made with a portable hole and a bag of holding, rigged to basically push the portable hole into a small bag of holding upon impact. This has no damage but runs risk of sucking targets into the astral plane.

Another is a gauntlet, with spiked knuckles and a small crossbow mounted to it. This id say maybe 1d4 piercing or slashing damage and with a certain feat, the crossbow can be shot like a hand crossbow as a bonus action, otherwise a standard action without the feat.

Another is simply a Scottish targe, a shield with a spike. Someone suggested:
Provides +1 to AC
Damage is 1d4
It's Martial
You can use he shield master feat's bonus action push to stab people with it instead if you want.

What else you got ladies and gentlemen?

nickl_2000
2017-05-06, 07:03 PM
I like unique single use items. It gives the feel of older D&D without making one PC more powerful than others. Here's one from a module I'm writing. The wording needs touching up, but you should get the idea of it.

Two Faced Coin
Single use item
The magic coin is golden in color with stamping on either side of it. One one side it shows an image of a happy looking man, on the other side there is a man with his head on the table. As a free action you may speak the command word, the coin will pop out of your pouch and flip into the air. Roll a d4 - on 1-2 it lands with the happy man face up, 3-4 the sad man. If flipped manually you get of feel of woe or happiness based on how it lands. Once used the coin fades into a normal gold piece (worth 1 GP).
Happy Man - The roll that you just rolled turns into an automatic success
Sad Man - The roll will turn into a critical failure. On an attack you drop your weapon. On a skill check it will have the opposite effect intended. On a save, the spell will be doubly effective.

DarthPenance
2017-05-06, 08:11 PM
Well, not necessarily made for my character, but he is the only one that can use it in the party and the GM knows it. Recently we did a favor to a god and he rewarded us, including this greatsword:
Guiding Light
+1 Greatsword
Emits green light like a torch
After using a command word, the blade erupts in green flames, dealing 1d8 fire damage every time it hits (works wonders on my fighter)
Another yet to be revealed ability
Requires 20 strenght to be wielded (it's very heavy)
It's also very big and 7 feet in height.

Laserlight
2017-05-06, 09:25 PM
My DM created a weapon for my Tiefling hexblade.

*Hilt and scabbard are made with dragon scales and talons (this got a little awkward when the dragonborn joined the party)
*The sword was once used as a badge of office, and the former owner's descendents might be looking for it
*The user can spend an Action to learn which way is North
*The sword never gets dirty or bloodied
*The bearer feels a harmless flash of pain when using the sword
*Curse: you are unwilling to part with the sword, keeping it in reach at all times. You have disadvantage on attacks with other weapons. Whenever you take damage in combat, make a DC15 WIS save; if you fail, you must attack the creature who damaged you until you or he drop to 0hp, or until you cannot reach him to make a melee attack
*As of hitting Level 5, the sword has decided it can trust me. Delete the curse; it is now a Weapon of Warning.

One of my favorites was the Gnomish Maxim Gun. Point it at the enemy, crank the handle...and out pops a slip of paper, printed with a maxim such as "Never blow up tomorrow what you can blow up today!" or "There are things Man was not meant to know--but nobody said anything about Gnomes!" or "First Law of Gnomish Science: Undergrads can be replaced!"

Fey
2017-05-06, 09:43 PM
Well, not necessarily made for my character, but he is the only one that can use it in the party and the GM knows it. Recently we did a favor to a god and he rewarded us, including this greatsword:
Guiding Light
+1 Greatsword
Emits green light like a torch
After using a command word, the blade erupts in green flames, dealing 1d8 fire damage every time it hits (works wonders on my fighter)
Another yet to be revealed ability
Requires 20 strenght to be wielded (it's very heavy)
It's also very big and 7 feet in height.

GREEN FLAME (http://www.acq-inc.com/portfolio)

User_Undefined
2017-05-06, 10:02 PM
Here's one my monk found.

Ring of Elemental Bulwark
This ring has three charges. As a bonus action, speak the command word and spend a charge to gain resistance to one type of elemental damage for 1 minute. The charges refresh at dawn.

It worked wonderfully when we had to fight burning dwarf skeletons in an ancient forge that exploded on death.

Foxhound438
2017-05-06, 10:20 PM
siphoning weapon: deals 1d4 necrotic damage to the wielder on each attack, but an extra d8 necrotic to the target on hit

venus/pluto: morningstar that can be used to cast melf's minute meteors, except the damage type is changed to radiant/necrotic (respectively). Once used, it can't be cast until you hit creatures with the weapon 6 different times.

RickAllison
2017-05-06, 10:26 PM
I enjoy coming up with crazy contraptions as either a DM or a player, and among my favorites was a design for a lock that would defeat Knock by unlocking to one setting, bhtbrequired constant pressure from a secondary and hidden mechanism to open to the correct setting.

Currently, my IRL DM and I are working on a Keyblade of People's Hearts made using the UA Downtime for magic items. A set of three weapons (sword, harpoon-launcher, and blaster) from robots that together formed a key would be the base magic weapon, the spines of these powerful beasts that nearly killed us would form the combat capabilities, and the phylactery with soul-absorbing eye-gems of a demilich would give it the ability to mess with people's souls, awakening the power of darkness or light within them as well and maybe stealing hearts later on. I'm not sure if a ripoff item counts as unique, but it is evolving naturally over the game.