PDA

View Full Version : Death domain cleric help.

Belzyk
2017-05-06, 05:47 PM
So I need some help. I was originally going to make a necromancer wizard but I think mabye a death domain cleric would be more fun. My problem is I am unsure what armor would be best to be mostly melee and what weapons and feats would work for a death domain cleric.

jaappleton
2017-05-06, 05:51 PM
Just had a Death Cleric meet his untimely... death...

It was my fault, I got overzealous. :smallbiggrin:

I loved it. I was allowed to use Unearthed Arcana material, so I used the new Toll the Dead and Hand of Radiance cantrips. After Medium Armor and a Cloak of Protection, and being a Warforged, I had 20 AC in medium armor with a shield. Spiritual Weapon was a scythe floating next to me, taking out foes who survived my cantrips and other spells.

In my eyes, with the new Cleric cantrips from UA, it was better to use those over traditional weapons.

Belzyk
2017-05-06, 07:07 PM
Would death domain or grave domain be the better choice for a necromancer style cleric?

Never mind grave clerics are anti undead lmao

Dman
2017-05-06, 10:20 PM
if your talking undead army Death easily, they get to raise a bonus skeleton with each use. Grave only gets the usual stuff. if your talking as a general necromancer im not sure depends how you want to play it I guess

Geodude6
2017-05-06, 10:28 PM
if your talking undead army Death easily, they get to raise a bonus skeleton with each use. Grave only gets the usual stuff. if your talking as a general necromancer im not sure depends how you want to play it I guess

I don't know if death clerics got the bonus minion in editions past, but in 5e, that is an ability of the necromancy wizard, not the death cleric.

Dman
2017-05-06, 10:34 PM
I don't know if death clerics got the bonus minion in editions past, but in 5e, that is an ability of the necromancy wizard, not the death cleric.

They get Improved reaper at 17 they can use their 3rd level slots for 2 skeletons each.

Twizzly513
2017-05-07, 07:10 PM
I played a lawful good high elf death cleric with multiple personality disorder that I had a lot of fun with.

Anyways, I just used chain mail as my armor, so I'm not much help there. You could potentially upgrade to plate to bump it up.

As for a weapon, I used a reskinned longsword that was a scythe. (1d8 slashing, Versatile 1d10) I'd ask your DM but personally I wouldn't have a problem with a player doing that and that DM didn't either. Because of the versatile you can wield with both hands or bring in a shield in one hand for a better AC.

As a melee cleric you'll definitely want to pick up War Caster so that you can cast your spells with a weapon and possibly a shield in your hands, advantage on concentration saves, and spells as opportunity attacks. It's a very strong feat that synergizes with cleric well, especially since you don't want to have to put your weapon away to do spells that require somatic components. While you have chain mail (and possibly plate), you can take the Heavy Armor Master feat and pick up some extra strength and straight damage reduction. If you do intend to use a shield, then obviously taking Shield Master would be a strong choice. It gives you a bonus action to push with your shield after an attack, adding your shield's AC bonus to Dex saves, and taking no damage if you succeed on a Dex save against something that would make you take half damage on a success.

Hope you enjoy death cleric!