PDA

View Full Version : Elementals lifespan

xkroku
2017-05-06, 05:56 PM
I need to know how long do elementals live. Are they even aging? I can't find any information related to this.

the_david
2017-05-06, 06:22 PM
It's your game, why don't you make something up? Do you really need every bit of lore in your world to be canon?

Elementals are born from the elements, they don't have a standard lifespan. Some only exist for a few moments before they merge with the elemental planes again, while others have a lifespan of millenia. When you summon an elemental, you call it into existence for as long as your spell lasts.

There, I made it up for you on the spot. I think, there might be a little bit of 4e D&D lore in there. At least it sounds elemental chaos-y.

ZamielVanWeber
2017-05-06, 07:52 PM
This excerpt could lead one to believe that elementals, outsiders, and undead can die from aging. How long it would take for them to croak is up to the Dungeon Master, unless otherwise noted.

"Natural causes" includes things like illness. Deities cannot die from disease, but elementals can.

I have always, personally, treated elementals as biologically immortal. They are literally sentient masses of the building blocks of creation: they do not have the necessary biology (any biology really) to grow old and die. Conversely, due to their alien nature, they do not get aging bonuses either. An elemental simply exists.