PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Custom alchemical item rules?

Matrota
2017-05-06, 07:13 PM
I'm going to be playing an alchemy-based artificer in an upcoming 3.5e campaign, and was planning on using the 39 firestones in a bag / unseen servant nuke, but I figure the moment after I use it my DM is just gonna introduce a bunch of enemies with fire immunity. Are there custom alchemy rules out there for making your own items, like, say, a sonicstone?

inuyasha
2017-05-06, 07:58 PM
Not that I know of, but if the DM goes out of his way to intentionally screw over something that you've specifically built your character around (which is somewhat easy to counter without introducing a whole bunch of fire immune enemies), you might need to have a talk with him about that, because that's kind of passive aggressive DMing.

EDIT: But at the same time, if you're building a character who's specifically only good at nuking things, don't be that guy who just nukes everything that moves, allow other characters to do things, and accept that sometimes fire won't solve an issue.

Gildedragon
2017-05-06, 08:03 PM
There's a variety of alchemical items in 3.5. Alchemical frost and lighting; there's acid of course.
Mix in other grenades like inhaled and contact poisons, tanglefoot bags, eggshell grenades...

What are you using as base class?

Using Delicate Disks can be a way to store other alchemical effects. Potions too.

Matrota
2017-05-06, 08:14 PM
There's a variety of alchemical items in 3.5. Alchemical frost and lighting; there's acid of course.
Mix in other grenades like inhaled and contact poisons, tanglefoot bags, eggshell grenades...

What are you using as base class?

Using Delicate Disks can be a way to store other alchemical effects. Potions too.

Oh trust me I know all about alchemical items, spent several hours making spreadsheets from Shax's Haversack and other such posts.

As for base class, we're playing a commoner campaign, all starting as level 1 commoners with base stats of 11 across the board. I'm playing an Athasian Human so I have innate spellcasting to be able to use craft alchemy plus some psionics. Going into artificer the second I get 2nd level.

Matrota
2017-05-06, 08:21 PM
Not that I know of, but if the DM goes out of his way to intentionally screw over something that you've specifically built your character around (which is somewhat easy to counter without introducing a whole bunch of fire immune enemies), you might need to have a talk with him about that, because that's kind of passive aggressive DMing.

EDIT: But at the same time, if you're building a character who's specifically only good at nuking things, don't be that guy who just nukes everything that moves, allow other characters to do things, and accept that sometimes fire won't solve an issue.

Well it's not that I'm sure my DM is gonna try to shut me down, but I'd also like to get some variety in the nukes. I plan on being an incredibly resourceful alchemist and item-crafter to make up for my innate weaknesses, the Firestone was just an example since that's my fallback if things get nasty.