PDA

View Full Version : Uses for sheet metal in D&D

Marbled_Thief
2017-05-06, 09:03 PM
So long story short, my tinkering character found himself in a situation where he needed to be hammering away on something and I didn't have anything in mind for him to be working on, so I just said "A really flat piece of metal." Now, everyone else just assumed it was a lame cover story (which it totally was) but I thought it'd be really funny if I pulled it out sometime and it had a useful purpose. The only problem is that I don't actually know what I might use it for.
So, back to the original question: Does anyone know any fun/useful things to do with sheet metal in a D&D game?
thanks!

daremetoidareyo
2017-05-06, 09:06 PM
Blocks divination spells if lead

Thurbane
2017-05-06, 09:21 PM
Make your covered wagon into an impromptu armored car.

Inventing the tool shed.

Coidzor
2017-05-06, 09:39 PM
I suppose one could beat metal flat before running it through heavy rollers to make metal foil. Gold and a few other metals were made into foil for illuminated manuscripts, decorating clothing, gilding weapons and armor for display purposes.

ATHATH
2017-05-06, 09:43 PM
Step 1: Lay the sheet of metal down on the floor in a place where you know/are reasonably confident that your barefoot enemies (animals, Kender, etc.) will be.
Step 2: Wait for them to step on the sheet on metal.
Step 3: Cast Shocking Grasp, Heat Metal, and/or Chill Metal on the piece of metal.
Step 4: Cast some immobilizing spell (Entangle (if you can swing it), Web (watch out for the flammability!), etc.) on your enemies (if you used Heat Metal or Chill Metal).
Step 5: ???
Step 6: Profit!

Also, if you need a raft or a sled, just lay out the sheet metal on or under the water and cast Chill Metal on it. "Underwater, chill metal deals no damage, but ice immediately forms around the affected metal, making it more buoyant."

You might need to cast Chill Metal a few times if the ice melts, but touching metal affected by Chill Metal doesn't do too much damage (or at least not very quickly), so you should be fine.

Tohsaka Rin
2017-05-06, 11:59 PM
1) Bend into a cylinder.

2) Weld shut (Or forge a thing of metal red hot, then hammer it onto the seam, to invent primitive welding)

3) Weld a cover onto the bottom.

4) Weld a cover onto the top.

5) Hammer/cut a hole into the side near the bottom.

6) Weld a spigot into the hole.

7) Cast Heat/Chill Metal onto it. (Depending on your needs)

7a) Weld legs onto it.

7b) Place it over a firepit.

8) Congrats! You've invented the hot water tank! Or a water cooler! Gather your friends around it with flagons, and complain about the local problems you have.

9) Invent plumbing!

10) Seriously though, mass-produce these, and sell them to every rich person you can find. Hot/Cold water/drinks on demand? A hot/cold bath whenever you want? It's likely going to cost you much less to make these things, than what you could sell them for. They're also going to be much, much cheaper than any magical equivalents these hypothetical rich people could buy.

Saffron-sama
2017-05-07, 12:12 AM
An easy way to carry an always fully opened portable hole.

Use this to make a cube around a flying carpet or other flying item to create a traveling item with 3-4 10 by 6 rooms and a storage area below.

Telonius
2017-05-07, 12:51 AM
Rust monster insurance. They'll go after the sheet of metal first, instead of your sword.

Inevitability
2017-05-07, 03:21 AM
Complete Arcane has rules for making a spellbook out of sheet metal. It's more expensive, but the resulting book is far tougher than a regular one.