Level: Sor/Wiz 2
Components: V, S, F
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Targets: One creature
Duration: Instantaneous; 1/min per Cl; see text
Saving Throw: Reflex half; see text
Spell Resistance: Yes

You create a stroke of lightning that blasts your enemy. The spell deals 1d6 points of electricity
damage per two caster levels (maximum 5d6, Reflex safe for half) to the target creature. In addition, regardless of the saving throw results, the creature has its electricity resistance reduced by 5, and by an additional 5 for every 4 caster levels beyond 3rd to a maximum of 15 at CL 11 (Monsters with electricity immunity are reduced to electricity resistance 30, and that is reduced by 5 for ever 4 caster levels beyond 3rd.)
The reduced Electricity resistance lasts for 1/min per caster level. This spell overlaps with itself, but does not stack.
Focus:
An amber, crystal, or glass rod set with the eye of a creature with electricity immunity.

So, this is a homebrew spell I've worked on. I was wondering what everyone thought. I don't see it as being more powerful then any 2nd level spell, and it has the unique tactical ability to weaken energy resistance.

I guess my questions are:
1) Is the ability to overcome energy resistance unique?
2) Is it weird to have damage scale per 2 CLs, but have the debuff scale per 3 CLs?
3) Would you allow this in your game?
3b) If not, what changes would you make as a DM before letting it in your game?
4) Is there any other thoughts or advice you have for this spell?

Special bonus question: what are your thoughts on this being a Transmutation, since it is altering the physical properties of a target?

rferries
2017-05-07, 03:14 PM
Static Fulmination
Evocation [Electricity]
Level: Sor/Wiz 2
Components: V, S, F
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Targets: One creature
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: Reflex half; see text
Spell Resistance: Yes

You create a stroke of lightning that blasts your enemy. The spell deals 1d6 points of electricity
damage per two caster levels (maximum 5d6, Reflex safe for half) to the target creature. In addition, regardless of the saving throw results, the creature has its electricity resistance reduced by 3, and by an additional 3 for every 3 caster levels beyond 3rd (Monsters with electricity immunity are reduced to electricity resistance 21, and that is reduced by 3 for ever 3 caster levels beyond 3rd.) This spell overlaps with itself, but does not stack.
Focus:
An amber, crystal, or glass rod set with the eye of a creature with electricity immunity.

So, this is a homebrew spell I've worked on. I was wondering what everyone thought. I don't see it as being more powerful then any 2nd level spell, and it has the unique tactical ability to weaken energy resistance.

I guess my questions are:
1) Is the ability to overcome energy resistance unique?
2) Is it weird to have damage scale per 2 CLs, but have the debuff scale per 3 CLs?
3) Would you allow this in your game?
3b) If not, what changes would you make as a DM before letting it in your game?
4) Is there any other thoughts or advice you have for this spell?

Special bonus question: what are your thoughts on this being a Transmutation, since it is altering the physical properties of a target?

Intriguing idea!

1) At least among core spells, definitely.

2) The numbers are awkward, yeah. Monster energy resistances are in multiples of 5 and 10 so to make calculations easier I'd have the resistance-lowering effect also work in multiples of 5 and 10, rather than 3. Additionally immune monsters should be treated as having base resistance 30 at least (resist energy grants you energy resistance 30 but you're not immune, yet you'd be better protected against static fulmination than a creature with actual immunity!).

3) Yep!

3)b) I'd make it d6 per caster level, to maximum of 5d6 (compare scorching ray for damage); reduces resistance by 5 at CL 3, 10 at CL 7, and 15 at CL 11. Additionally the reduced resistance would have a specified duration (1 round/level, 1 hour, 24 hours, whichever).

4) Do a set of these for each energy type! :)

Zexionthefirst
2017-05-07, 03:50 PM
Intriguing idea!

1) At least among core spells, definitely.
Thank you

2) The numbers are awkward, yeah. Monster energy resistances are in multiples of 5 and 10 so to make calculations easier I'd have the resistance-lowering effect also work in multiples of 5 and 10, rather than 3. Additionally immune monsters should be treated as having base resistance 30 at least (resist energy grants you energy resistance 30 but you're not immune, yet you'd be better protected against static fulmination than a creature with actual immunity!).
With Savage Progression, creatures like Aasimar and Tieflings get resistance 2 before taking their first hit dice in their race. At the time this spell was made, I had spent a lot of time thinking about the "lesser" Tiefling as I have one in the game I'm running. I'm sure that this why I went with reducing by 3. (Because a Tiefling who is hit by Static Fulmination would lose the same amount of energy resistance that why gained from taking their first racial hit dice.) That probably makes not sense if you don't know what Savage Progressions is

You are right, I should have been using multiples of 5 and 10. I'll change that. As for Electricity immune being resistance 30... ya, I have no recollection as to why I didn't do that.

3)b) I'd make it d6 per caster level, to maximum of 5d6 (compare scorching ray for damage); reduces resistance by 5 at CL 3, 10 at CL 7, and 15 at CL 11. Additionally the reduced resistance would have a specified duration (1 round/level, 1 hour, 24 hours, whichever).
I had used Electric Loop from the spell compendium for it's base spell, and then altered that. But, quite frankly, I like you idea better. Do you mind if I steal this for my edit?

4) Do a set of these for each energy type! :)
I would assume that the spell would be exactly the same for each energy type, the only difference would be the focus/material component.

Thank you for your post. I'll edit to incorporate these correction.

rferries
2017-05-07, 05:10 PM
Thank you

With Savage Progression, creatures like Aasimar and Tieflings get resistance 2 before taking their first hit dice in their race. At the time this spell was made, I had spent a lot of time thinking about the "lesser" Tiefling as I have one in the game I'm running. I'm sure that this why I went with reducing by 3. (Because a Tiefling who is hit by Static Fulmination would lose the same amount of energy resistance that why gained from taking their first racial hit dice.) That probably makes not sense if you don't know what Savage Progressions is

You are right, I should have been using multiples of 5 and 10. I'll change that. As for Electricity immune being resistance 30... ya, I have no recollection as to why I didn't do that.

I had used Electric Loop from the spell compendium for it's base spell, and then altered that. But, quite frankly, I like you idea better. Do you mind if I steal this for my edit?

I would assume that the spell would be exactly the same for each energy type, the only difference would be the focus/material component.

Thank you for your post. I'll edit to incorporate these correction.

No worries! Feel free to incorporate my ideas, but remember it's your spell so only change things you want to. If it "feels" right to you it is! :)