PDA

View Full Version : Question about PMs to moderators

mudbunny
2007-08-01, 08:33 AM
In one of the threads on the boards, there are posts that are, IMO, so far over the line that the line is a dot. I reported the posts[1] with the report post button. When there was nothing done, I sent PM's [2] to the moderators of the forum in question.

The posts are still there and I haven't heard anything back from the moderators.

Should I then assume that the topics of those posts (necrophilia, sodomy) are acceptable topics??

[1] I reported one post Friday sometime, the other post on Monday.
[2] My first Moderator PM was sent Monday morning. The second moderator PM, to the next moderator on the list, was sent yesterday morning.

Lord Herman
2007-08-01, 08:51 AM
Those topics are definitely not acceptable. I don't know if there's anything else you can do to draw a moderator's attention, but this thread should do the trick.

edit: It might help if you provided a link to the offending posts.

mudbunny
2007-08-01, 08:53 AM
One other possibility is that the mods are on vacation or just have been really busy.

I would rather not link to the threads for fear that linking to them would simply result in a worsening of the situation into a flame war or something like that. I have seen it happen on other forums I have been on, and it only causes more trouble and headache to the mods.

Lord Herman
2007-08-01, 08:59 AM
True enough. Although you'll find that it's almost impossible to start a flame war on this forum - it's just too darn friendly.

You could try contacting the mods of another subforum. Although those mods may not have modding powers in the forum those posts are in, they can at least contact a mod who does. In my experience, Alarra is always very quick to react to PMs.

Charity
2007-08-01, 09:04 AM
£10 says Rawhides already on it.

Anyone?

These mods have very busy fingers
http://homepage.mac.com/melissayork22/Butchies/images/images-Images/kaiaCT.jpg

Zherog
2007-08-01, 09:34 AM
My advice - send a PM to every moderator of the forum, rather than sending it to one mod at a time. If you don't get a reply/see any action in 24-36 hours, send a PM to WampaX about the situation.

ufo
2007-08-01, 11:02 AM
I believe they must've been quite silent, that's all, for those aren't (shouldn't) be acceptable topics, and once when I reported posts via PM (I was unsure about the "report 'dis 'ere post!" button), I got an answer almost immediately.

My advice - send a PM to every moderator of the forum, rather than sending it to one mod at a time.

Did I misinterpret something, or did you tell him to send a PM to each and every mod on GiantITP? Or did you mean the forum. 'Board' and 'forum' are two terms easily confused. By me, at least.

Zherog
2007-08-01, 11:04 AM
I meant, and said, forum.

mudbunny
2007-08-01, 11:29 AM
Did I misinterpret something, or did you tell him to send a PM to each and every mod on GiantITP? Or did you mean the forum. 'Board' and 'forum' are two terms easily confused. By me, at least.

No, he didn't mean to send it to every moderator on the GitP forums. I only sent it to the two mods for that specific forum. I f I don't hear anything[1] by tomorrow, I will try other mods from other forums.

[1]Even if it is "Yes, we saw it, we were just too busy to reply to you, now quit bugging us."

ufo
2007-08-01, 02:05 PM
I meant, and said, forum.

Oh, sorry then. Not many people realize there's a difference, that's why I was an *s*hole.

WampaX
2007-08-01, 02:26 PM
Few people might realize that they can send one PM to multiple users simultaneously here. Its a useful feature I wish other boards had.

In other news, if a mod hasn't touched a post, it could be because we had deemed the subject innocuous enough to pass muster.
OR we just haven't gotten to it yet.
OR we are debating what to do with it.
OR rabid weasels have infested the server room again and are taking precedent over the reported issues.

If you've used the little report post button, you're part in the moderation procedure is done and the magical pneumatic tubes are doing their part. Hmmm . . . . maybe that's how the weasels keep getting in.

mudbunny
2007-08-01, 02:33 PM
Few people might realize that they can send one PM to multiple users simultaneously here. Its a useful feature I wish other boards had.

I saw it, but thought that it might be considered rude and/or pushy if I did so.

OR rabid weasels have infested the server room again and are taking precedent over the reported issues.

pushes empty weasel cages around the corner
whistles innocently

In all seriousness, I like to think that I am a pretty good judge of what is acceptable or not on a forum, and the posts in question really, really twigged me as being not appropriate.

After reporting them and them still being there (or the first one at least) I thought that the notices had maybe gotten eaten by the server rabid weasels.

Lord Herman
2007-08-01, 02:34 PM
If you've used the little report post button, you're part in the moderation procedure is done and the magical pneumatic tubes are doing their part. Hmmm . . . . maybe that's how the weasels keep getting in.

This board has the awesomest forum soft/hardware ever :smallbiggrin:

mudbunny
2007-08-01, 02:52 PM
I see that the first offending (IMO) post has been taken care of.

I am guessing that the second one in that thread (#23 and the quoted reply) is in the process of being taken care of??

Atreyu the Masked LLama
2007-08-01, 02:55 PM
This board has the awesomest forum soft/hardware ever :smallbiggrin:

Spoken like someone who's never gotten his head stuck in one of those tubes. :smalltongue:

V Rawhide said they had a secret thread that lead to Gumdrop Mountain and Caramel Candy Cane Cave. I just kinda sniffed and smelled caramel, then inched my head in just a little bit, to get a better whiff and the next thing I know, I'm hollering for Alarra to help me.

Lord Herman
2007-08-01, 02:59 PM
...Atreyu, what were you doing sneaking around in the server tubes?

Ikkitosen
2007-08-03, 08:25 AM
I see that the first offending (IMO) post has been taken care of.

I am guessing that the second one in that thread (#23 and the quoted reply) is in the process of being taken care of??

I'm not sure the mods have this level of answerability to us, you know.

Personally I have never heard from a mod (take that as you will, good or bad :smalltongue:), I just hit report and leave it to them. Seems to me they're like the police*: they're here to serve, just don't tell 'em what to do :smallamused:

*Not these guys: http://www.bbc.co.uk/southerncounties/content/images/2005/08/22/police_330x325.jpg
These guys:
http://www.abbottandcostellocollectibles.com/images/postc_accops.jpg

Charity
2007-08-03, 09:50 AM
Where did you find a picture of the two Raws together?

Yeah same here, when I'm reporting your ... er posts, I never hear back, unless I badger Rawhide on messanger that is.

These mods are fire and forget.

Ikkitosen
2007-08-06, 07:32 AM
Where did you find a picture of the two Raws together?

Erm, dunno. But clearly "all ur searchin skillz are belong to us" or summat.

Whatever happened to Bogotter btw? Honourable discharge from the modding community?

Rawhide
2007-08-06, 07:43 AM
Bogotter left to be with his family, The Giant even made a statement about that somewhere.

Ikkitosen
2007-08-08, 10:33 AM
Oh, OK, cheers. Must have missed it.

Rawhide
2007-08-08, 10:38 AM
It was when the new mods (myself and Roland) came onboard. Bogotter wanted more time to spend with his family.

WampaX
2007-08-08, 10:42 AM
It was when the new mods (myself and Roland) came onboard. Bogotter wanted more time to spend with his family.

And XtheMage had disappeared into the Aether . . . so sad.

Ikkitosen
2007-08-08, 10:44 AM
And XtheMage had disappeared into the Aether . . . so sad.

Just vanished? I guess he was a mage...

Baron's still about is he? Haven't seen his cool avvy for a while.

Rawhide
2007-08-08, 10:46 AM
Baron is alive and kicking.

WampaX
2007-08-08, 10:49 AM
Just vanished? I guess he was a mage...

Baron's still about is he? Haven't seen his cool avvy for a while.

Yes, Baron is still about.

Bogotter still visits from time to time.

And X did say goodbye . . . I'm just surprised we haven't seen him about at all since 2005.

Ikkitosen
2007-08-08, 10:59 AM
I guess the only way to leave is cold turkey!

Good thing you managed to form a good New Mod Squad though :smallsmile: Increasing popularity must mean a LOT more work for you guys and gals. Do you get paid in, like, books or something? Free games? Or just a general sense of all-powerful authority well being?

mudbunny
2007-08-08, 02:13 PM
I guess the only way to leave is cold turkey!

Good thing you managed to form a good New Mod Squad though :smallsmile: Increasing popularity must mean a LOT more work for you guys and gals. Do you get paid in, like, books or something? Free games? Or just a general sense of all-powerful authority well being?

I would mod for free. I have modded before on some MMORPG guild sites that required a fair amount of mod-smackage simply due to the lack of maturity of some of the members.

The GitP forums, OTOH, are very tame.

Rawhide
2007-08-08, 05:21 PM
The moderators are not paid for their services. We do this work completely out of the goodness of our heart.

Renegade Paladin
2007-08-08, 07:14 PM
And it's a lot of goodness. I know I wouldn't want to have to ride herd on a community this big.

Thes Hunter
2007-08-08, 07:34 PM
The moderators are not paid for their services. We do this work completely out of the goodness of our heart.

For some reason, that almost proves to me that you have no heart....

or maybe your heart just looks like this:
http://www.animationartgallery.com/images/esa/ESADOTEc.jpg

Rawhide
2007-08-08, 07:56 PM
For some reason, that almost proves to me that you have no heart....

or maybe your heart just looks like this:
http://www.animationartgallery.com/images/esa/ESADOTEc.jpg
Actually, its like this.
http://www.thenibble.com/reviews/main/cookies/cakes/images/DevilsFoodHearts-230.jpg

Atreyu the Masked LLama
2007-08-08, 08:51 PM
Not paid? what?? I've been sending Alarra 20 dollars a month. She said it was required for mod fees. She also threatened to reduce my inbox to 20 messages = 100% if I didn't pay. Can she do that??

Azrael
2007-08-08, 08:52 PM
Actually, its like this.
http://www.thenibble.com/reviews/main/cookies/cakes/images/DevilsFoodHearts-230.jpg

Hmmmm ... chocolate cake heart ...

Zherog
2007-08-08, 10:59 PM
Not paid? what?? I've been sending Alarra 20 dollars a month. She said it was required for mod fees. She also threatened to reduce my inbox to 20 messages = 100% if I didn't pay. Can she do that??

Seems like she can, yes. :biggrin:

Hell Puppi
2007-08-09, 12:14 AM
MMm....heart steak....
Really, that looks delicious

Ikkitosen
2007-08-09, 02:37 AM

I knew really :smallredface: :smallwink:

On the other hand you do receive the respect and love of your peers...

WampaX
2007-08-09, 08:37 AM

Sadly, the board only came equipped with one heart and we have to share. So there may be moderating that is, in fact, not coming out of the goodness of that heart and may be coming out of some other, possibly defective, heart.

So if you see fluctuations on the goodness level, please bear that in mind.

Charity
2007-08-11, 03:12 PM
I knew really :smallredface: :smallwink:

On the other hand you do receive the respect and love of your peers...

And missiles don't forget all those lovely missiles I keep Firing at sending to him.

I've seen the heart ... er lying about the place.
http://www.worth1000.com/entries/128500/128588JOqn_w.jpg

Matthew
2007-08-11, 07:59 PM
Erm, is anybody else seeing Charity's Post as using Azrael's Avatar and Location?

Zherog
2007-08-11, 08:06 PM
I don't have any clue what Azriel's avatar looks like (or Charity's for that matter). But it might have something to do with Mistaken Identity Week. A bunch of folks decided it'd kick ass and take names if they swapped avatars and stuff. *shrug*

EmeraldRose
2007-08-11, 08:07 PM
>.>
<.<

No idea what you're talking about!

*runs away*

Matthew
2007-08-12, 09:14 AM
I don't have any clue what Azriel's avatar looks like (or Charity's for that matter). But it might have something to do with Mistaken Identity Week. A bunch of folks decided it'd kick ass and take names if they swapped avatars and stuff. *shrug*

Right. I see. Do you have all the Avatar's switched off as well as the signatures, then, Zherog? I always assumed you had the Avatars switched on, since you have one and all. Of course, that's probably a false conclusion, since I don't use an Avatar and yet have the Avatars switched on...

Zherog
2007-08-12, 09:20 AM
I have them on. I just don't really pay attention to most of them. At least not well enough to associate them with a particular user. I have sigs on as well, but it's the same deal - I don't associate specific text in a sig with a specific user.

I do use a really silly method when I want to identify who said something. I look at their username. Crazy, I know, but that's how I do it. http://www.majik.be/smilies/uptosomething.gif

Vhaidara
2007-08-12, 09:26 AM
Mistaken Identity Week. I got caught by surprise to.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-08-12, 02:20 PM
I have them on. I just don't really pay attention to most of them. At least not well enough to associate them with a particular user.

I always think Guinness when I see a post by you or have a picture of Nale in my mind. :smallamused:

Zherog
2007-08-12, 04:53 PM
I always think Guinness when I see a post by you or have a picture of Nale in my mind. :smallamused:

Sweet - you think I'm an evil mastermind!

Mordokai
2007-08-12, 05:34 PM
And it's a lot of goodness. I know I wouldn't want to have to ride herd on a community this big.

You think this is bad, try doing similar job in half the community here, but twice the pain in the a**. I swear, being a moderator on forums like that can do wonders to one man sanity, and not in good way. At least people here at GitP are nice and polite, not unlike some other forums I visit.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-08-13, 01:19 AM
Sweet - you think I'm an evil mastermind!

Well, correct me if I am wrong. :smallwink:
Anyone!

Charity
2007-08-13, 04:10 AM
No Argument here.
Z = Evil genius in a glass, smooth and opaque, and good for anemia...
Maybe I took that analogy too far.

I might stay in this Az suit, it's really comfy and suprisingly warm..

Zherog
2007-08-13, 06:48 AM
Maybe just a little. As far as I know, I'm not good for anemia...

Baron
2007-08-13, 07:13 AM
I'm still here. Find I need to keep a low profile whilst plotting to take over the world with a series of rabid weasels I found lying around... :smallcool:

Charity
2007-08-13, 08:17 AM
Aha! We were wondering why the European weasel mountain was on the decline. *sets the rozzers on the Baron*

Sorry to confuse you Matthew, it's all Azzy's fault, hey are you comming to the UK Crimbo meet?
Go on, you know you wanna.

Baron
2007-08-13, 04:54 PM
Pah! I own the rozzers. They're in my back pocket! :smallwink:

Vhaidara
2007-08-13, 04:55 PM
Baron, I am confused. Which are greater: Ferrets, or weasels?

Charity
2007-08-13, 04:59 PM
Weasels beat ferrets ... wEasily.

Damn that Barons contacts.

*shakes fist in frustration*

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-08-14, 07:29 AM
I'm still here. Find I need to keep a low profile whilst plotting to take over the world with a series of rabid weasels I found lying around... :smallcool:
[Dr. Evil Impersonation]Are they electric weasels?[/Dr. Evil]