PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Need help choosing between a psion and an erudite.

D4rkh0rus
2017-05-07, 01:55 AM
Title basically says it, I'm pondering between the psion and the erudite for an upcoming game.
What are your opinions and why?

Thanks guys.

Rebel7284
2017-05-07, 02:06 AM
That depends on several things
- Can you take the spell to power erutide from the web article?
- How does your DM read unique power per day?

If the answers are "no" and "conservatively" then psion is better.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2017-05-07, 02:15 AM
Convert Spell to Power (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20070629a) is pretty good.

The other (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20070314a) expanded classes (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20070411a) articles can also offer quite a bit to a Psion.

I would actually base the decision on two things:

1. What are the other PCs making? What is their level of system mastery relative to how their class selection ranks on the tier system? If you expect to have a party on the Tier-3 level, then you should probably make a Psion.

2. What do you want this character to do? Would a Psion be better at it than an Erudite, given the availability of what's in the above links, your DM's willingness to make discipline powers available, and your DM's interpretation of the class mechanics?

Rerednaw
2017-05-07, 03:14 AM
With all the splat, Erudite is arguably more powerful.

Though I agree with others when it is important to factor the optimization curve with other party members. And it is very important how your DM runs psionics.

Still a self-recharging (Midnight Augmentation+Earth Power+Bestow Power) foundation plus Schism for action economy and then your choice of Dominate, Energy Missile, Astral Construct, or Metamorph and you are going to will have significant impact on any campaign that is by the book/published module power level. So I'd pick what you find more fun...

D4rkh0rus
2017-05-07, 11:32 AM
From My knowledge, I would be the only spellcaster/manifester In the party,

For the erudite, I'd have access to StP and UPPD would be the stated number + Int mod.

Reading back I forgot to put that im not looking for the strongest of both, either can be stupid with one or two powers and linked power shenanigans, (considering I'd use a synchronicity linked to bestow power, linked to bestow power (since I'd have my and the psicrystals focus) to restore pp)

What I am looking for is the more versatile one, since, I would be expected to fulfill the role of a full time caster, buffer, and CC'er.

Erudite seems pretty awesome, but it's mechanic for learning spells, would be clunky. Since the DM probably won't pit us vs spellcasters every other day, and I'm not sure if I can use scrolls to learn arcane spells.

Then there's the psion, they only get psionic powers, and they can only attain a single discipline and its powers. And psionics are lacking in many of the aoe buff and CC departments.

Rerednaw
2017-05-07, 10:23 PM
Since you are the only caster, this depends on how many bases you are going to try to cover. Erudite is better at covering more...however it is DM contingent on him having spell casters for you to learn from...or say if you pick up leadership and have a spellcaster buddy.

If that's a no-go then Psion all the way. Besides you don't have to be the god all the time, everywhere, just now and then. I actually like psions because their aren't tier 1.