PDA

View Full Version : The best plot hook ever.

WindStruck
2017-05-07, 03:57 AM
Friendship.

Friendship is what brings us together this fine evening.

A friend is someone who gives you total freedom to be yourself - and especially to feel, or not feel. Whatever you happen to be feeling at any moment is fine with them. A friend might help you move. A really good friend might help you move a body. But only a true friend will, when you show up at their door with a dead body, say nothing, grab a shovel, and follow you.

Unfortunately, we aren't quite there yet.

---

Date: Friday, May 25, 2012
Time: 8:10 PM
Chance of misfortune: 88%

It was Anime Night. Not that it was a well-established thing. This was only the second running of it, and in the first no one showed up. The Western Animation Club wasn't really a thing in Dave's high school, due to a lack of members. The only one who had ever really consistently shown interest was Jeanette, who had actually graduated from that high school two years prior. This being the second week after school ended, and a Friday, it was time to give it another go. If it didn't turn out well, then maybe they'd have to cancel the whole thing.. again?

Accompanying Dave was Jabin, who had somehow managed to acquire the group's entertainment tonight: the new Airbender movie. It was the sequel to the 2010 movie, but animated. Also technically a prequel, called "The First Airbender". How he got his hands on the DVD copy is a mystery. But Jabin probably wasn't here so much for the movie anyway but for the food and company. Mainly the food. He already felt famished. And if his hunch was correct, there would be a lot of leftover pizza.

Jeanette's parents were out of town for the weekend. Even morticians get a holiday every now and then too, you know. So it was as good a time and place as any to have a nice little party. The three of you begin settle in on the couch and recliner and put in the DVD. The lengthy opening credits begin to fade in and out every now and then, accompanied by desolate landscapes, overworked peasants, menacing men throwing around water, stone, and fire...

Over all the scenes, a baritone Japanese voice speaks... suddenly the doorbell rings. You put the movie on pause. Was that the pizza so soon? You didn't expect it for at least another ten minutes. Dave goes to open the front door, closely followed by Jabin, who can't wait to have some pizza but doesn't really want to pay for it. But it's not the delivery man. Nor is it another member of the Western Animation Club. It's Solstice. Quite a surprise for them to see her here.

But it's not such a surprise for Jeanette. She forgot all about the deal they had. Solstice still had many questions about the trappings of modern society. Jeanette likewise was in the dark just as much when it concerned any sort of supernatural matters, maybe moreso. Tonight, Solstice was to meet and exchange this information... and what better way to get a taste of bold fresh humanity than watching anime? Ok, this may have actually been a terrible idea...

Now the four of them sat down, watching the movie. Jabin took to the recliner, and the others sat on the couch precariously. After the intro is over, it becomes apparent that the movie was never dubbed, nor even subtitled. The whole thing was in Japanese. This made watching the movie a confusing, awkward experience, especially Solstice who was not used to movies in the first place. The movie seems to drag on for hours... but only 30 minutes have gone by.

Wait, 30 minutes? Now the pizza definitely should have been here! Just then, there's a banging on the front door. Stupid pizza guy, doesn't he know the doorbell works? This time a tall, gaunt man stands at the door. No delivery car parked outside, no pizza in his arms... it's Harold. And he doesn't look too great with a big gash going down his neck.

Turns out Winter Faeries made a raid on Domino's, Pizza Hut, and Godfather's. Mind you, they were only pixies, but there were a lot. What's more, there's actually sleet falling from the sky. In southern Miami.

So the pizza is all gone and everyone's still hungry. The movie night is officially ruined. Harold's taken a beating and needs some stitching. And Winter is running pellmell all over Florida!

This looks like a job for... a warden. Or something. But I guess this ragtag troupe will have to do, if they want dinner today.

We're currently still at Jeanette's house.

Harold has just told everyone about the incident and has started the game with a mild consequence: torn throat. He's kind of hard to understand at the moment.

The pixies were last seen at Godfather's, where they drove away Harold, but not before he turned a few into paste. Now with no more pizza places in the nearby vicinity, it's hard to know when or where they will strike next.

Please feel free to RP and make any checks.

Iceseer
2017-05-07, 06:59 AM
We can still watch the movie why don't we just get popcorn from a grocery store instead? Heck we could still get pizza if there is an oven nearby. Jabin wasn't expecting this to work and was planning on relying on his stealth to infiltrate a pizza shop if it didn't.

Konatsat
2017-05-07, 08:03 AM
While Jeanette hadn't been surprised by the appearance of Solaris, she had indeed been surprised that Harold showed up on anime night. After listening to his account of the events on the outside - and feeling disappointed at the lack of pizza - she hurried to get the gash on his neck sewn up exclaiming "Oh no Harold, we're going to have to patch this up as soon as possible. Meet me down in the operating room, I'll go fetch a sewing kit." before rushing down the stairs to prepare for stitching him up once again.

Celticbear
2017-05-07, 09:18 AM
If any of you laugh about the fact that I was downed by a bunch of pixies, I'll punch something. grumbles Harold in a rasping tone.
Stupid yellow one with the butter knife just wailed into me while the rest threw pies. If you were there, you would know it was horrible. says Harold as he follows Jeanette.

WindStruck
2017-05-07, 11:22 AM
Solstice! Not Solaris! :smalltongue:

It was a pretty warm and muggy night at the end of spring, at least before this sleet started. Solstice learned to blend in enough around here to dress like a "normal" teenage girl. Flip flops, tiny shorts, a frilly cute top that exposed too much skin for a concerned father's liking. She had small backpack, a purse, and a shoot of bamboo kind of like a walking stick. The reality was it was all glamoured anyway and not really what she wore nor held.

She was a bit surprised to see Harold as well, though the man had a knack for showing up around her, and especially around this lot. She was sure he watched them in his spare time. But this wasn't exactly his free time, it seemed to be a bit of an emergency.

Solstice looked over at Jabin, who would rather get popcorn or pizza and continue on as normal, a bit worried. "I could not comprehend what we were watching in the slightest. I do not mean offense, to come off as a rude ungrateful guest, but I thought these 'movies' were supposed to be.. 'entertaining'? Ah, but perhaps I lack the knowledge to understand it better..."

That was about as much objection as you were going to get from Solstice. She had no clue what she was looking at the whole 30 minutes, wasn't enjoying herself, and learning nothing. She hoped Jeanette would understand her polite objection as well, but the would-be doctor was already running off to get the tools necessary to fix Harold. She really hoped Jeanette was just caught up in the urgency of fixing Harold and not trying to brush her off.

Solstice watched Harold as he stomped by, a smug, subtle, yet knowing smile on her face. He was extremely dangerous and yet even pixies could give this one trouble, given the nature of his being. Perhaps it was a little payback for what she went through before, having to give in to his demands, as well as his interfering with her business with Dave. Well, it was no matter. They had a truce, for now.

Konatsat
2017-05-07, 11:28 AM
"Alright then, one two one two and through and through... you're good to go." Jeanette manages to turn the gaping wound into a bloody line held together by stitches, hopefully good enough to fix his speech and remain there until it manages to heal up. "Now that that's done, let's head back upstairs. We should probably decide what to do next since the pizza guy won't be coming." she mutters, waiting for Harold to follow her up to the living room where the others would be waiting.

Celticbear
2017-05-07, 03:27 PM
Harold, like a shadow, walks back up to the rest of the gang, glaring at Solstice's smile.

WindStruck
2017-05-07, 09:27 PM
"So, some wee folk bested you with food and dinnerware. I wish I could have been there to see it," Solstice said, returning Harold's glare with that same smile. Granted, there were actually a lot of them. Not like she knew that though.

"But now that your wound is stitched up, what will you do now? Will you lay low and wait for them to get bored of terrorizing the area? Or were you going to fight them again?"

Celticbear
2017-05-08, 05:52 AM
I heard from a source that it was your... ah what do call it? Any-may night. I figured that since you were all here we can do a combined assault. Answers Harold.

Konatsat
2017-05-08, 06:23 AM
"I dunno guys, it seems kinda dangerous. Jabin's idea is fine if we just want some food right?" Frankly, Jeanette was kind of scared to go out and fight against pixies. She had been prepared to spend a quiet - if awkward - night watching anime and eating pizza, a brief respite from the stresses of medical school, and fighting magical beings was not her idea of stress relief.

WindStruck
2017-05-08, 11:34 AM
"I for one would like to drive them off. They don't belong here," Solstice said, peering out a window at the overcast sky and scowling. Something wasn't right about this weather. If it was just a bunch of pixies, why was the weather affected here?

"Jeanette," she said, turning to face the young woman, "You had promised to help me understand your culture a bit more, but I can't make heads or tails of that.. that 'movie'." And it was literally true. Solstice wasn't used to seeing animations, and the disproportionate heads, bodies, and faces of the characters made her squint and tilt her head a while until she realized those were actually supposed to be people being represented.

"If you intend to stay here, may we at least do something else?"

Konatsat
2017-05-08, 11:55 AM
"Oh well um, seeing as it was supposed to be anime night and all I... I didn't have much else planned really." Awkward silence fills the air before Jeanette breaks it with a sigh. "I guess it is important to clear the pixies away, especially as we actually have the means to fight back against them. Also, sorry about the anime, next time I'll show you a live action movie, something without many special effects, maybe something like the Pursuit of Happyness or a classic movie like Citizen Kane."

Celticbear
2017-05-08, 12:46 PM
Pictures shouldn't move. grumbles Harold.

Iceseer
2017-05-08, 01:56 PM
Ah well had to hope right. Do we have a computer or board game that we could do instead, Before we harass some pixies that might be observing an important ritual to protect themselves or this world? After all the snow can't be caused by the pixies now can it? Sure they love pizza but they don't do this on a daily basis. Jabin asks. He never did well in a fight where he was seen now knocking out someone who wasn't aware of him on the other hand was easy. As such he didn't like fighting others with a group as he felt useless. How being a scout was easy for him and he would often delegate himself to that position.

Speeddemon87
2017-05-08, 03:50 PM
Sorry for the delays, but here's a post

Dave manages to tear himself away from the movie, pausing it to rejoin the debate that's going on about what to do. Dave may not have understood any of the words to this movie, but compared to the travesty that was the live action film it was so, soooo much better. Without dialogue, there were a few points of difficulty in understanding the plot, but the overarching points were easy enough to comprehend from the body language and action and the animation was actually quite good. It was great to see the new bending scenes and the obvious differences that came from the first users compared to the far more modern benders in The Last Airbender.

When Dave hears the comments from the peanut gallery Harold and Solstice he just mutters Philistines glaring at them.

Dave walks up to the rest of the group. Jabin and Jeanette aren't too interested in doing anything about this, and while he can get where they're coming from, it sounds like it's big enough they should at least check it out (anime night can always be rescheduled so we can finish the movie later).

Dave says "Look, I can get that we're kinda divided on what's up, but it is pretty big and truthfully we don't know much about what's going on. Maybe we can look into fixing that and finding out what's got the pixie's so riled up before we start trying to 'drive anyone off'?" He finishes that question looking at Jabin. He knows Solstice is very into the 'fey' scene given who she is, but Dave's not exactly sure he can trust her to be fully objective in this case (he doesn't get the Winter/Summer thing too much, but Harold's told him enough the Dave can understand that they are a little biased against each other). Jabin's always got a pretty good ear to the ground and an uncanny way to find out what's going on with the supernatural side of things.

Iceseer
2017-05-08, 04:58 PM
Jabin sees Dave was looking at him and accepted it. Look he's right. I am unbiased and well have the best skills for the job. With any other additions I might not get the information we need. So how about I go off for a little bit to the closest pizzaria. Investigate what I can then report back here as soon as I'm finished. So does anyone have a coat I can borrow? resigning himself even more If anyone else wants to come they can just head to the front door and ask the pixies when I tell them to move. He finishes. Hoping someone would talk him out of it.

Celticbear
2017-05-08, 05:55 PM
It's dangerous out there. I will accompany you, Jabin. says Harold.

Iceseer
2017-05-08, 08:06 PM
Course it is that's why if I have to do this I'd prefer to be alone I don't want anyone else with a slit throat like you and I have the skills to avoid that. He replies kindly. not mentioning the fact that anybody who accompanied him would actually slow him down in what he was planning to do. If he had to have anyone he would prefer jeanette with her excellent investigation skills and barely passable stealth. Harold was good muscle so would be able to pass himself as a distraction at least.

WindStruck
2017-05-08, 08:41 PM
"They're trespassing and making a ruckus, that's what they're doing," Solstice says, visibly agitated.

"If you want to investigate, that's fine. We may be able to figure out where they are going. Maybe we could take a diplomatic approach and get them to simply leave. Although..." she points at Harold, "if he attacked them or killed any of them, surely they will want revenge."

Celticbear
2017-05-08, 09:55 PM
"if he attacked them or killed any of them, surely they will want revenge."

Did I kill anyone?

Speeddemon87
2017-05-15, 05:19 PM
Dave smiles when he hears Jabin agree to look into it. "Sure, let me grab my coat." He goes to the closet and proudly takes out the authentic waterbender coat he had made. "Here ya go" he says as he passes Jabin the coat.

"I think I'll just stay here, I'm not really good at sneaking around. Or investigating. But if you get in trouble or need any backup just call me and I'll be there as soon as I can!"

Iceseer
2017-05-15, 05:59 PM
Jabin silently cursed realizing no one was going to stop him. Jabin replies Thanks, it is very much appreciated. taking the coat from David and putting it on.

WindStruck
2017-05-17, 04:56 AM
"You wish to go out alone without any of us?" Solstice asked. Perhaps it was foolish, but perhaps not. If he didn't do anything stupid to anger or scare them, he'd probably be left relatively unscathed. Maybe they wouldn't really notice him at all.

"And if you don't mind my asking, where exactly do you intend to look? Where the pixies have already been?"

Please designate the location you will go to and your method of transportation.

Also, when you step out of the house, I'll need an Alertness roll. :smallsmile:

Iceseer
2017-05-17, 06:29 AM
Jason replied to Solstice What I want and what I am doing are two completely separate things. Fact is I am going to be needing to sneak around to avoid a spot throat and everyone else is well not that good at it and might die as a result. I do not want a friend to die on me! So I am willing to risk my life to find out what is going on for my friends. Of course I am not going to oppose anyone else joining me because they do have the same right to risk their life as I do. I just doubt the skills they will bring to the table with their lack of stealth will be as valuable as potentially losing them. Of course does anyone have an idea on where to go because I am just going to check the nearest pizzeria otherwise.

Celticbear
2017-05-17, 08:08 AM
You don't need to fear for my death, but he does have a point. They are dangerous, as you can clearly see. says Harold as he makes a slitting motion with his throat.

What we have to do now is vague. The way i saw it, they were just hungry. Perhaps if they get their meal they'll leave. Of course, winter Fae in a place that belongs to summer, Harold glares at Solstice, is definitely an anomaly worth looking into.

WindStruck
2017-05-17, 03:36 PM
Speaking of anomalies, as Jabin looks outside, he notices something quite off. He sees some green-eyed crow looking things... Grackles, that's what they are called.

Well, normally their eyes are green, but these ones have distinctly bluish eyes, somethings not quite right about their feathers, and they all seem to be staring intently at the house, watching everyone...

Iceseer
2017-05-17, 10:51 PM
Once Jabin saw the creatures. Jabin says, Course the blue eyed grackles that are watching us should probably be dealt with first.

Celticbear
2017-05-18, 08:06 AM
Wait, what? says Harold.

Are we being watched?

Konatsat
2017-05-18, 08:25 AM
"Hold on, what's a grackle? Is it dangerous?" As usual, Jeanette was out of the loop whenever they talked about the supernatural.

Celticbear
2017-05-18, 08:35 AM
"Hold on, what's a grackle? Is it dangerous?" As usual, Jeanette was out of the loop whenever they talked about the supernatural.

A Grackle looks like a crow, but their "caw" is much more raspy. They are EVERYWHERE in Texas.

Speeddemon87
2017-05-18, 01:23 PM
"Huh, that's weird." Did those things follow Harold back here? Where they after Solstice or someone else inside? Too much to worry about right now.

"If they haven't acted yet we don't need to give them a reason to, or to tip our hand and let them know we're onto them." Dave heads over to the tv and turns the film back on, getting into it again and begin to mimic the motions the characters show on the screen. "Let me know when you guys are about to head out, I'll call up some fog to cover your exit." Hopefully to the grackles it should just look like I'm mimicking the film as I use my waterbending to call up the fog.

Celticbear
2017-05-18, 01:31 PM
Harold facepalms.
Honestly, there are better teachers than those... weird things on the screen. How is that even considered human?

Anyway, let's head out. says Harold as he takes off his shirt and jacket.

What? If you turned into a huge shadow creature, you wouldn't want to buy new clothes every other time you went into combat!

WindStruck
2017-05-18, 01:34 PM
Solstice looks at the birds when they are pointed out and her eyes narrow a bit before she turns away, trying not to look like she was staring. But to be honest, just about everyone was staring. The birds seemed to be looking at each other now, sometimes a beak open or flapping their wings while still perched.

"That must be them. Some of them, anyway," Solstice said, keeping her voice low. "But so long as you do not invite them in here as you have invited me, they cannot enter. We are safe here. Perhaps that is why they are waiting.. for us to come out?"

She looks at Harold with an eyebrow raised questioningly. The guys scared her most of the time.

Iceseer
2017-05-18, 01:46 PM
Well might as well get this over with. So we'll split up right before we arrive so we can enter through to different means. I'll sneak around the back and you will serve as distraction in the front. Do you agree to this plan?

WindStruck
2017-05-18, 01:49 PM
Solstice looked pretty confused at Jabin's plan. "Arrive? Where are we going??"

To be fair, she wasn't exactly sure what a pizzaria was, but she also had no idea where the nearest one was, and she wasn't sure if anyone else did or if that was still where they were going...

Iceseer
2017-05-18, 10:33 PM
Since No one else mentioned any alternatives when I asked for them. We were going to the nearest pizzeria which the closest pizzeria is that way. Believe it's a domino's if I recall correctly. And I though you weren't going solstice. That domino's has employed entrance and exit they use like a lot of places but it should definitely help so I can listen into their conversations. They might have. Course Jabin just lied to the lot and pointed in a random location but he hoped that someone more knowledgeable would correct his mistake.

WindStruck
2017-05-18, 10:39 PM
"You thought I am not going? What is it you meant when you said 'we' would split up, and 'we' would enter by different means?" Solstice sighed and folded her arms expectantly. Sometimes this boy seemed to get much too far ahead of himself.

Iceseer
2017-05-19, 10:08 AM
I was talking about Harold and me. What with him being the only one that showed interest. Jason replied slightly annoyed that Solstice was coming that just meant more of a hindrance then anything else in his eyes.

Celticbear
2017-05-19, 10:13 AM
Enough arguing! Jason, we're going with you, like it or not! Solstice, you are not the center of the universe, contrary to your belief! The fog cloud looks to be almost done, so we need to get ready to book it as soon as it comes up. yells Harold as he stomps his way to the door.

It would have been intimidating if he didn't have his shirt off.

Iceseer
2017-05-19, 01:36 PM
I am not arguing merely pointing out what I was referring to. Leaving the room. To finish the mission as shortly as possible.

WindStruck
2017-05-19, 06:21 PM
Solstice looked clearly annoyed. "I said from the very beginning that I wanted to drive them off. But I did not claim to be nor believe myself the center of the universe," she said, probably taking it a little too literally.

She sighed and said, "Though I did not say I would come. I would like to, however. Is it alright with you if I accompanied Harold through the front entrance?"

She followed up to the door (front door?) as fog could be seen starting to billow in.

--

But this... Harold seemingly had something against Solstice. He didn't like her or her Fae ways. He really didn't like those pixies either. Wait, maybe they could be in league? Or perhaps the little twit would backstab him at an opportune chance?

Compelling Harold's "Distrustful of Fae" aspect, so that he either demands she not go along or sticks with Jabin instead.

Celticbear
2017-05-19, 07:30 PM
Harold growls.

I think you should watch Jabin's back. I can make a good enough distraction myself, as you well know. says Harold.

Intimidate? [roll0] + 3 +4. Living dead gives me +1 to intimidate.

I need to re-read all my abilities, if intimidate is a social skill I'm +5

Iceseer
2017-05-19, 11:28 PM
Jason tried to convince Solstice to go with Harold in the front by lying and saying Look I learned a thing or two about poised you might not know about but Harold being already attacked pig's him into great danger from them again. So I think for Harold and my safety you go with Harold through the front entrance.

[roll0] +4 if deceit +3 if empathy +3 if rapport

WindStruck
2017-05-22, 02:27 PM
Jabin made a good case for Solstice to accompany Harold, but he wouldn't have any of it. He was an incredibly strong badass who was merely outnumbered by a bunch of pests. There wouldn't be a repeat of his injury, at least if he didn't put blind trust in that tricky Fae directly in his presence.

Harold earns a fate point. He should now have 3 total I think.

---

Staying real quiet, Solstice, Harold, and Jabin head out the door and vacate the building under the cover of the fog. They more or less made a direct route off the premises; by time the fog cleared up they were nowhere in sight. The three made their way to the nearest pizzaria, though it would be some time's worth of walking. 15 minutes, maybe 20.

Harold still walked steadfastly without a shirt, which was pretty awkward as the occasional car drove by. On the other hand, the weather for the trio seemed to remarkably improve, and it was pretty warm and muggy again this evening. The coat Dave lent out to Jabin was starting to feel pretty hot....

Next update you will arrive at the pizzaria. We'll need to specify a "battle plan" before hand. And that will simply be... Jabin goes a few minutes ahead to sneak around the back, shortly followed by Solstice, also trying to not attract attention? And Harold will walk up to the front, still no shirt on? :smalltongue:

---

As the fog left, the birds seemed to squawk at each other in an alarmed manner, though they stayed perched in the tree looking into the house as best they could. The sleet also persisted here, as if nothing changed since the fog. If Solstice was indeed correct, Dave and Jeanette should be safe within the house. Now what would they do? Back to the anime? :smallbiggrin:

WindStruck
2017-06-01, 01:18 AM
Jabin's stealth roll: [roll0] + 5
Solstice's stealth roll: [roll1] + 1

Jabin skulked along the shadows silent as a ghost, unnoticed by the police officers milling around by their patrol cars parked outside the Domino's. Solstice also follows along, albeit more unsure of herself. It didn't seem like there was much in the way of stealth here, unless if she tried to force herself through the veritable wall of dense shrubbery that was behind all the buildings in this area. Thankfully, they were so far away that the cops outside the front of the place didn't notice...

---

Harold, on the other hand, a pretty large and barrel-chested man with his his pecs, abs, and biceps all fully exposed, confidently strides up to the fore of the scene. Seems the nearby businesses were either closed as normal or still open despite the commotion.

"I'm telling you, man, it was locusts! Huge locusts the size of my hand! They swarmed in and ate everything!"

"Who broke the glass?"

"I -I don't know! I could have sworn a kid ran by or something when it happened, and I was about to report it to my manager when.. they came."

The people look over at Harold dubiously. Yeah, a bare-chested man out in public in Florida on a warm summer night was probably not the weirdest thing anyone ever saw. But still, hardly anyone ever did it anyway.

---

Meanwhile at the back, the two approach what must be the Domino's from behind. The backs of the restaurants are never nearly as nice as the front, looking far dirtier, even with trash lying around, some discarded boxers, dumpsters, loading bays for trucks...

One of those doors was propped open, and an employee in the Domino's uniform was hurriedly taking out loads of trash and throwing it in the dumpster. He didn't notice Jabin, even though he was closer, but he noticed Solstice as she silently walked near the walls. And oh my, did he notice her. His teen hormones got the best of him, seeing this was probably the hottest chick he had ever seen.

So it's going to be a compel on her Stunning Beauty aspect, though I'm not sure how it will work out. If it turns out to be a pretty bad detriment, it'll award a fate point, but if it winds up helping more than hurting, not really.

"Oh! Uh, hey!" the guy stammered. "Did it hurt?"

Solstice locked eyes with the kid very briefly before smiling and waving gingerly. "Hello... did what hurt?" she asked, looking at him quizzically.

"Why when you fell from heaven," the kid said now with a cheesy grin on his face. But Solstice just stared at him like a deer in headlights, having no idea what to say to that.

---

Meanwhile, back at Jeanette's dreary home...

The two of you get back into the anime, seeing as you couldn't think of anything better to do. Besides, all this crap about pixies and pizza was all probably going to blow over anyway.

The animation continues on. One guy who is clearly the bad guy backhands a girl and she falls to the ground. He reverently picks up a shiny doodad on a temple altar and begins laughing maniacally.

Cutscene to a forest, where a father and his son appear to be hallowing out a log or something in the middle of a forest.

The birds outside caw at each other again, then they take off flying. Soon, it appears that the sleet outside stops.

Celticbear
2017-06-01, 05:32 AM
Come on over, little ones! That or scurry off back home. I'm all ready for you this time, and you best watch out. I would hate to send you back to Faerie in body bags. yells Harold

Intimidation. Going to invoke my "Scion of Shadow" aspect to let out my inner demon (+2 on roll).

[roll0] +7 (+3 (skill), +1 (living dead), +1 (Marked by Power), +2 (Aspect invoke))

EDIT: Forgot to do the -8 bit. Roll in the ooc.

WindStruck
2017-06-02, 04:38 AM
The cops and the Domino's employee peer incredulously at Harold as he screams at seemingly nothing - perhaps the sky, the birds in the trees, or maybe even the imaginary fairies he was raving about. At this point the officers adopt a more defensive stance and one approaches - albeit only a step or two.

"Sir, I need you to calm down," he says. "Have you been doing any drugs?" he asks.

---

Solstice looks wide-eyed at the teen and eventually, she slowly responds, "...you are mistaken. I did not fall from heaven."

"Could have fooled me," the guy said with a wink. The fact that there was acne on his face made it not that appealing.

The disguised faerie girl merely shrugged. She tried not to look as Jabin snuck right by him. Maybe her gaze would give him away, maybe not. She kept her eyes off to the other side and distant and asked, "Did something happen here?"

That seemed to break the young man out of his single-tracked mind for a bit. "Oh yeah it was crazy. All these huge locusts came out of nowhere! It was like the Exodus, in 3d, but way cooler! 4d even!"

"Uh.. oh my. How.. interesting," Solstice said, having no clue what he was going on about.

---

Meanwhile Jabin being the bold cuss he was decided to waltz right into the dominos. Getting past the preoccupied teen was easy enough, but... what about inside, where there might be more people?

Stealth: [roll0] + 5

Sneaky as he was, there just isn't much room or place to hide, given it's a typical fast food establishment. He didn't get more than 10 feet inside before another employee came around a corner lugging a bunch of empty boxes.

"Hey. Who are you??" he asked quizzically.

Celticbear
2017-06-04, 08:47 PM
What the- they left didn't they. Stupid winged little... you seen any birds flying out of here? Ah, bugger it. says Harold.

For drugs, no. I'm, uh, just going for a jog. People do that with their shirts off, right?

WindStruck
2017-06-10, 10:19 AM
@Harold

The Domino's employee and police officers look at you like you're a weirdo.

"Who were you yelling at? Did you say 'fairies'?" the cop questions.

It still seems they haven't let go of the incident yet. Either they still think you are crazy, or you just threatened to kill somebody in front of the cops. The only good thing is that it seems it actually wasn't targeted at anybody.

---

"So yeah that was pretty wild. Hey, are you from around here?" the guy asks.

"No," was all Solstice answered.

"Oh? Where ya from?" he persisted.

Now Solstice got really nervous. "Uh.. I.. I don't want to tell you."

He looked pretty disappointed from that.

---

Jabin lied. "Uh, I'm here for an interview?" [roll0] + 4

counter roll: [roll1] + 0

"Oh! Yeah ok, let me get my manager! She's out front," he said, completely oblivious to the fact that Jabin didn't go through the front himself.

Celticbear
2017-06-10, 02:53 PM
Oh this does not look good at all does it. See, I was going for a jog and then this- holy sh*t! What on earth is that! Harold yells. If the cops fall for it, Harold's booking it behind the alleyway.

Deceit: [roll0] + 1

WindStruck
2017-06-12, 09:57 PM
Oh boy this will be fun.
[roll0]+1
[roll1]+2
[roll2]+1

Well it was a pretty transparent ruse. Their suspicion, your lack of credibility, even the acting was bad. The cops don't take their eyes off you, even the domino's employee hardly even looked that way.

You ran off, but after the cops briefly looked at each other (probably thinking wtf?) one of them took off after you!

Now what??

Celticbear
2017-06-20, 09:44 AM
Solstice! Solstice, the little bastards are gone, probably left long ago... who is this guy? says Harold.

We also need to leave. Like right now.

WindStruck
2017-06-20, 10:51 AM
Solstices notices a police officer running after Harold, and by the way things sounded, she heeded his words. She also began running in the same direction, ahead of both of them.

She rounded the corner of the shopping center - barely - but went more straight than anything towards the trees and brush just past the road.

Need 3 shifts of power.
Discipline: [roll0] + 4

After quickly incanting some phrase, she turns around and calls back, "Over here!" just as you round the corner. She runs into something that looks like a tear... a rift.

But you're still awfully distrustful of this Fae. What will you do?

First, I'm giving you another fate point just for acting all weird around the cops. But I hope Harold learned his lesson.. He should be at 4 fate points now.

Now the trick is, I'm going to invoke that aspect again. Ignore the portal Solstice made and gain a fate point... but then you're on your own dealing with the cops. Or spend one of your fate points and trust Solstice.

Celticbear
2017-06-20, 11:52 AM
((I got enough fate points. I'll use the one I just earned to get into the portal))

Harold begrudgingly followed Solstice through the portal. It was better than going to the cops, and then having the doctor there notice his 0 / 0 blood pressure.

WindStruck
2017-06-20, 05:10 PM
Harold finds himself in a forest very similar to the wooded area he just entered... though the forest ahead appeared far more lively. The area behind, a stark contrast of stone effectively forming a perimeter to the forest and some kind of rundown structure beyond. It looked sort of like the side of the shopping center but not quite...

Just beside him, Solstice concentrated on the rift, mending it, trying to get it to close as soon as possible.

She sighed and asked, "What happened?"

Celticbear
2017-06-20, 06:57 PM
Some guys in blue shirts asked if I was high. I denied, and ran over here. says Harold. Then waits.

Oh, you mean with the pixies? They're gone. My guess is that they're back at the house. We have to warn those cartoon watching fools to not go outside.

WindStruck
2017-06-20, 08:46 PM
She looks at Harold. "...Oh, yes, that too... Though I don't know what you mean by high. Can you fly, Harold??" At this point she wouldn't be surprised.

With the rift sealed, she looked around. Though she grew up in the Nevernever, there was only a small portion she was actually familiar with.

Lore: [roll0] + 4

"Hm. I'm not sure what would be the best way back. The forest may take us anywhere, but this gray city-like area is new to me. I haven't seen it here before."

Celticbear
2017-06-20, 10:30 PM
Maybe Phil will roll higher, though knowing my past rolls that probably won't happen

Lore: [roll0] + 3

Your guess is probably way better than mine. Forests are never a good sign in this place, but the city could be populated by unfriendly fae. Probable danger, or certain? Which to choose... Harold ponders.

WindStruck
2017-06-20, 11:19 PM
Curiosity gets the best of Solstice. "Let's take a look. I have a feeling there might be a way back that is nearby."

She steps onto the pavement and approaches the front of the building. The parking lot and in fact the strip mall seems to extend indefinitely out to the horizon. There's a few things that look like cars, older models perhaps parked haphazardly along the spaces. Signs on the buildings are faded and unreadable or appear as though they've fallen off completely. The insides of the shops look run down and abandoned. Ghostly mannequins can be seen in the shadow of one.

Further along that direction is the "street", which also extends as far as the eye can see in both directions. It passes along the forest further to the right, and the strip mall to the left. It's also lined with street lamps and the occasional fire hydrant. One appears to have opened and is constantly spewing water into a shallow pool in the road before it goes down a drain.

Beyond the road is a wall, lined with wrought-iron fencing and the frequent stone pillar. Just past that a rolling grassy field with a large rock in the distance. The road, the wall, and another large warehouse-looking place form a T intersection. More buildings and stuff, along the stone and iron fencing appear to go down that way.

Solstice walked up and gingerly touched the fencing. It didn't burn her. "Curious. I guess this isn't truly iron, but it may be what iron normally feels like to you..."

She turned back to Harold. "Look for anything that seems familiar, like part of the city we were just in. Or something that reminds you of Jeannette's home. We need to find some place with a symbolic link to return..."

It will take a fairly high lore and/or alertness roll. One per mini-scene, starting now.

Speeddemon87
2017-06-21, 06:30 PM
Dave is busy watching the movie with Jeanette. The birds have left and it's been a while since they've heard anything from the others. It was, it is a good plan, and he knows that him and Jeanette don't really have the skills for this mission, but he can't help but be a little anxious with no sign of them yet.

He sighs lightly and tries to refocus on the movie - the fighting scenes in it are great, and it's given him some great ideas for techniques he can practice, but it's getting a bit harder to understand the plot as it starts to reach the climax. In one of the scenes with more talking and less action he says to Jeanette "This definitely feels like the old days of the anime club, doesn't it?" Which is true, it is almost exactly like it, with Dave organizing the meeting, gathering a few other loner types to see if they could come together as a group, and then have most of them ditch it part way through leaving only him a Jeanette watching it. But he's really trying to suss out her feelings on the matter - it's been a while since they've seen each other and he's looking to see what differences post-secondary education has had on his old friend.

It sounds like it's been a while and it doesn't take long to recover from stress out of combat, is Dave free of any mental stress now?

Celticbear
2017-06-21, 08:12 PM
Harold looks throughout the town, seemingly towards no avail. However as he is about to give up his little quest, something peculiar happens. His hair stands up to an end, and looks to his left. There, in the distance, is a shadow. One that looks strangely like the house. Harold looks into it, and even sees his friends watching a black TV screen.

Solstice! I found where we need to be! Get over here! cries Harold.

Inwardly, Harold dreads what this could mean. Is his parent following him? Is this some warped way of affection? Only time will tell...

WindStruck
2017-06-21, 09:14 PM
Solstice hurried over and peered into the shadow. It seemed it belonged to a large building that was an old church of some kind, yet the shape of its shadow was totally off...

Lore: [roll0] + 4

This was worrisome. How could they be seeing inside Jeanette's home from here? What was the significance of the church? So many questions but the Nevernever could be an awfully dangerous place.

Then she incanted the same words which tore a rift in the veil again.

[roll1] + 6 (forgot her bow is a focus item.)

The cawing of birds could be heard in the distance.. and the temperature was dropping.

Konatsat
2017-06-22, 11:12 AM
Jeanette continues watching for a few seconds but doesn't appear to be very focused on the movie, as if she was contemplating how to respond."Yeah, it kinda is. Especially with everyone leaving halfway through." She frowns as she recalls how the anime club had only two consistent members with others often disappearing after one or less meetings. "Don't get me wrong, it's nice to meet up again but... I thought this time might be different y'know?"

WindStruck
2017-06-22, 10:39 PM
Solstice looked about panicked. "They're coming!" She jumped through the rift and didn't even bother trying to close it. She knew that was a waste of time.

The other side in the real world was right outside the window to Jeanette's home with a nice view into the living room. She didn't wait for Harold. She knocked on the glass and ran to the front door. "Jeanette! May I come in again, please?" she called, hurriedly, scared, pleading even.

Speeddemon87
2017-06-23, 02:39 AM
"Yeah, gotta agree on both counts. It's great to see you again, but I was hoping the club would have better luck. Not that anyone could have really predicted the craziness that would be going on tonight. Admittedly, while this is a pretty cool prequel, it may have been a tad ambitious as the starting point for the club, especially given the uh 'uniqueness' of some of our new members. Maybe once they get back we can try to get them started on something a little easier to get them introduced to the concept of animation." Hmm, hard to place their personalities and what would appeal to them in particular.

Dave wonders how Jeanette met them. She'd always been pretty focused on school and they didn't really seem the type to be pursuing higher education. Dave had always been a little surprised that Jeanette would go out of her way to always make the club meetings, though him noticing her love of investigative series and making sure to have a few Detective Conan (Case Closed) episodes on every so often probably didn't hurt.

Dave's startled out of his thoughts by Solstice's arrival. Ah well, just have to ask Jeanette about what she's been up to later. He says to her Well, looks like things will be a bit different this time after all."

Konatsat
2017-06-23, 07:54 AM
At the sound of Solstice's urgent insistence, Jeanette rushes to the door and shouts a quick "We'll continue this later! before yanking open the door. The note of terror in Solstice's voice was especially horrific as it meant that something was coming, and that that something was dangerous. "Yes! Come in, come in, you are allowed to enter!"

Celticbear
2017-06-23, 08:02 AM
Harold bursts through the door right after solstice. This day has not exactly gone to plan.

Cartoon watching bonanza is over. We got to get ready for this.

WindStruck
2017-06-23, 08:38 AM
As Solstice and Harold entered, the distinct sound of glass breaking and wood splintering erupted around them and Jeanette as tiny icicles bombarded the entryway.

Outside now were those birds again. More of them now. But their forms blurred and transformed into that of pixies of various colors and some size difference. The largest was a golden yellow one.

"So there you are, shadow fiend. You will pay for killing my friends! And you, Summer scum! You've been helping him! Come out quietly and we might take you prisoner." The little thing scowled quite maliciously, and the others whooped a war cry.

Celticbear
2017-06-23, 09:32 AM
We know you can't enter without permission! Your threats are laughable at best! yells back Harold.

I may or may not have killed one or two of them, Harold told the group quietly, No matter what they offer, no matter what they do, you will not, I repeat will not, allow them to get into this house. In the mean time, we have to prepare in case they have an alternate way here. I need something iron, be it a steak knife or a frying pan.

Konatsat
2017-06-23, 10:00 AM
Jeanette makes a mental note that fairies are both susceptible to iron and unable to enter a location without first asking permission before responding, "Right, okay, I think I have a fire iron and some other things by the fireplace, I'll go and grab some stuff from the kitchen." At the end of the sentence, she runs over to the kitchen and pulls out everything she thinks might work, taking everything from teaspoons to baking sheets.

Speeddemon87
2017-06-23, 06:03 PM
Dave gets up and moves towards the door. Those are good things to know about these guys, but it doesn't really change anything for Dave (he'll just rely on his waterbending over nonexistant weapon skills to try and use iron against them).

"Looks like they can shapeshift too. Anything else they can do?" He mutters to Solstice and Harold before going to address the bird-pixies. Might as well see if there is any chance that they can be reasoned with or at least distract them while his friends arm themselves. "It sounds like you guys started things there, I don't really think you have right to complain about it when you tried to kill him. What are you guys up to anyways, what do you want here?" Dave's stance is relaxed while he talks, but that will just let him flow easily into any waterbending form he needs at the first sign of trouble.

Celticbear
2017-06-23, 06:13 PM
The pizza place was a bust, they weren't there anymore. I may or may not have ticked off the police by being a screaming shirtless man in the middle of the street. Solstice and I escaped through the Nevernever, but the little things were probably waiting for us there. We came out, ran here, and now it's now.

WindStruck
2017-06-23, 09:17 PM
"It's not shapeshifting.. a veil is more accurate. Pixies are known to disguise themselves as small, flying things," Solstice said, even as she cringed at their mention of iron. Real iron.

The yellow pixie laughed at Harold. "You think you can hide in there forever?" He signalled to some pixies holding a stone the size of a tennis ball, but stopped when Dave spoke.

He glared at the highschool kid now. "We didn't start anything with that big, ugly brute! We do what we normally do. We raid the Summer lands and are usually gone before anyone bothers to lift a finger. And tonight? Tonight was Pizza Night. Then THIS GUY shows up and interferes. It was kinda fun until I realized he killed Snowflake and Gumdrop! No one kills a member of my squad and gets away with it!! Now then, do you live in this house?"

Speeddemon87
2017-06-24, 02:01 AM
When they comment about staying in there forever Dave is pretty sure they can, or at least longer than the pixies can sty out there, but given the property damage it looks like their about to cause, Dave figures it's best to not antagonize them (that's what Solstice and Harold are for).

"I get that you're upset at the loss of your friends, but trying to demand blood in return isn't going to help anything. For one, your friends where the one's who attacked the 'shadow fiend'. If he was anyone else, that would have been a mortal blow they struck on him, he was just defending himself." Dave looks for a moment at where Harold is. He doesn't know him all too well, but for all his rashness and paranoia (that may or may not be justified) towards spirits, Dave doesn't think he'd kill them if they hadn't started lethally attacking him. In any case, given how the leader didn't notice his friends were dead till afterwards, Dave's betting that they can't recall clearly enough either.

"You do realize that if you come to blows with us it's just going to lead to more deaths right? Besides, all the craziness you've been causing around town can't be good either, if you keep it up it's gonna through things out of balance and then bad things are certain to happen. Why don't you just go home? And why does it matter if I live here, is it only the ones who live here that could let you in?" Dave isn't sure exactly how bad or what repercussions there will be as he's not too knowledgeable on their whole summer/winter spirit deal but hopefully they'll be willing to leave without things escalating further.

Would this be a rapport roll or empathy, or something else?

WindStruck
2017-06-24, 06:55 AM
well it's not really a social conflict, nor is it d&d where you can just diplomancer your way out of anything...

The pixie clearly seems agitated. "You weren't even there! He attacked us first, you stupid liar! My friends were only throwing stuff at him!"

He looks at the other pixies. "Why does it matter? Your little Sidhe friend can tell you. We never speak a lie, and we say you and your friends will pay for this!!" They all cheer and then the two pixies throw the rock through the window.

WindStruck
2017-06-24, 10:58 PM
Solstice followed Jeanette to the kitchen, completely dropping her own glamour as long as other pixies were openly threatening people. She wore an imaculate gossamer summer dress with dainty sandals, adorned with various anklets and bracelets comprised of gold, finely woven. Atop her head was a garland of flowers. She looked at all the cooking utensils dubiously. "I don't think I can do it, Jeanette.. maybe you could understand... it's quite a serious offence for my people to use iron against one another..."

Solstice could hardly look her in the face. She invited her in and protected her. Now she was Jeanette's guest. Surely she had to do something to help protect this home. But if there was some other way...

Just then there was the sound of breaking glass. Lots of it this time. Solstice ran back to the front of the house to find several panes from the living room window broken and lots of pixies outside cheering. She couldn't help but feel frustrated and angry.

"An attack on this house is an attack on all within! Leave us be at once, or.. or you will face our wrath!" At first hesitantly, she readied her bow and nocked an arrow, drawing the string back.

Speeddemon87
2017-06-25, 12:04 AM
"Given your actions and the nasty scar left on his neck - something that would kill plenty of normal people, I can still draw the right conclusions, even if I wasn't there."

At their attack and breaking of the window, Dave sighs in frustration. Really, they're gonna be like that? Attempted murder once wasn't enough? They have to ruin anime night?

"Ok, one throwing stuff at people is a crime, battery, possibly assault, so saying you weren't attacking him is wrong, and that's excluding the knife attack. Two, you might not lie but you can be mistaken. You missed one of your buddies escalate to lethal force and then got mad when my friend defended himself. You don't have any right to declare vengeance on him or anyone else in here. Especially after you march up and start trying to threaten and scare anyone inside. And three, If you continue this then we will fight back and take you down. As you should know, our abilities can hurt you out there, but you can't attack us in here, not with more then sticks and stones, and I assure you, you'll need more than that." Dave moves beside Solstice as he takes and readies his stance to move and use the ice they've left around to scald them if they continue trying to attack

WindStruck
2017-06-25, 09:52 PM
The pixies laughed at Solstice, and began to huddle together and chatter, snickering every now and then. The incliment weather had returned, casting sleet over everything again.

When Dave finally stopped talking, they eventually looked up. "Oh, are you done? Well, if you aren't the one who lives in this house, then I guess you won't mind if we do THIS!"

They all hurled mud and dirt into the broken window, nearly hitting Dave and Solstice, before flying out of view. Some of them flew above the house, but others went around the side.

@Jeanette: Just then you think you hear something at the back entrance to your home. The doornob turned, and the door began opening!

Konatsat
2017-06-26, 10:35 PM
Jeanette quickly grabs one of the kitchen knives and moves cautiously to the back door hoping upon hope that it wasn't anything dangerous as she was ill equipped for combat. When she arrives, she puts her back to the door and tries to keep it closed, yelling "Who is it?" in the hopes that it was Jabin instead of their aggressors.

WindStruck
2017-06-26, 10:41 PM
"It's me," the voice said. Definitely sounded like him, anyway. Through the door.

"Hurry up and get off the door before those fairy things find out I'm here!"

Konatsat
2017-07-04, 08:32 PM
Jeanette cautiously opens the door a crack and teies to verify whether or not it really is Jabin on the other side of the door.

WindStruck
2017-07-04, 08:40 PM
As if the obvious didn't need to be stated, Solstice said, "They haven't left yet. Surely they are plotting something..."

As the three of you (Dave, Harold, and Solstice) mill around near the front entrance and living room, you begin to hear a scraping sound coming from somewhere in the living room...

---

@Jeanette: Well, it looks like Jabin too. He looked pretty sweaty and winded as well.

Just then, the multi-colored glow of various little flying things rounded the corner of the house.

"There's another one! Attack!"

[roll0] + 2

[roll1] + 2

It was another barrage of icicles, though it seemed they were all over the place. Unfortunately, Jabin wasn't in the house at all and not protected by its threshold and still got pelted pretty badly. Before he even knew what hit him some tiny icy needles pricked his leg, his arm, and his shoulder, and in his attempt to get out of their way, he tumbled into the kitchen, pushing away Jeanette.

Jabin took 3 stress.

Speeddemon87
2017-07-06, 02:53 AM
The scraping sound is worrisome, but they should be protected by the house, right? In any case Dave will leave that to the others, Jabin is getting hurt right now and needs some help. Dave flows into the waterbending motions and uses the ice that they've been creating and sending it back at them, turning it into a giant grasping hand of water to smash into the pixies.

drawing on 7 shifts of power here, 2 to make it affect all of them in the zone, and the rest for a weapon 5.

Control roll [roll0]+8
Power roll [roll1]+8

WindStruck
2017-07-09, 02:34 AM
Between all the sleet in the air and the icicles the pixies shot at Jabin, Dave almost effortlessly collects it all and turns it back against them with a giant, crushing hand formed from water.

Much like how you squish a mosquito by slapping it with your hand, it was pretty straight-forward, and it wasn't pretty.

There was a tremor as all the tiny flying fey got flattened into the ground, wings broken, limbs twisted, twitching. Then they stopped moving altogether. Were they dead? It was hard to say, but they weren't going to be giving you trouble anytime soon, that was certain.

---

Meanwhile, the scraping sound was growing louder inside. Solstice moved to investigate, finding that it seemed to be coming from the fireplace...

"What are they doing..?" she pondered aloud, up until Dave cast his spell. The tremor was such that she ran over to check on the others and see what happened.

Solstice gazed upon the destruction in the yard, a mess of pixies on the ground with a giant hand print in the earth. "That... is quite impressive, Dave. The others were doing something on the roof with the chimney. But I doubt they will stay long after this."

Speeddemon87
2017-07-11, 01:14 AM
Dave grimaces slightly at the damage he just caused. They did attack us and promise to make everyone here pay. Still... Dave shakes his head. No point worrying about right it now though, there are more pressing issues.

At Solstice's words Dave makes sure to back away from the fireplace. "When you say you doubt that they'll stay long, do you mean that you think they'll back off and leave for good, or will they just reposition and try to attack us from a different angle?" If they're willing to leave and let this drop then Dave's more than happy to let them go, but if they're just waiting to ambush us...

Keeping his voice low he whispers to Solstice "You said what they were doing before was just illusions, could you do something like that? Make it look like some of us have gone out to check things out?" If they try to attack the illusions then that'll give us a good idea of where to target our counterattack.

Celticbear
2017-07-11, 09:37 AM
Harold smiles:

Pixies travel in groups, and you Dave just wrecked that group!

WindStruck
2017-07-13, 09:50 PM
Solstice looked to Dave and shook her head with a sigh, saying, "No, of course they will not leave us alone for good. This display shows they cannot fight us directly. But they said we would pay. They could retreat and come back at any time, when we least expect it..."

To his second question, she shook her head again, though responded with lower voice as well. "Our glamours only allow us to change our own appearance. Not that of others, or to make what isn't seeming to exist."

Solstice approached a window, taking a closer look at the downed pixies outside, and a thought occurred to her. "Jeanette. I may have a solution. Perhaps we can capture some of the pixies. We only need to bring them inside and take them prisoner."

As for the rest of the house, any and all activity seemed to have stopped. At least, for now.

Konatsat
2017-07-18, 10:15 PM
Jeanette nods, "Sounds like a plan, is it safe to go outside yet?"

WindStruck
2017-07-18, 10:26 PM
Solstice continued peering out the window and answered, "I doubt it. Someone might get hurt. But I don't have any better ideas..."