PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Class Monster Shaman Class, 3.5

Zexionthefirst
2017-05-07, 04:17 AM
The Monster Shaman is a class currently being designed for the DM to slap onto a monstrous race, such as a Monster, to give it some unique abilities it can use for an encounter. It is also geared towards providing a new bit of fluff to the DMs setting- the use of spiritual fire to achieve both enchantment and necromancy effects.

This class is not meant to be powerful. It has some fixed abilities that function like spells, but it isn't meant for a play to pick up and go toe to toe with a Wizard or Druid. It's meant for a Lizardfolk to pickup, and give an encounter different from the last five where the enemies were all built the same and acted the same.

This is a work in progress. Please feel free to comment with thoughts and/or ideas. And with criticisms of the Monster Shaman's current ability set. Though, also keep the above in mind about not meaning to be tier 1 or 2.

The most current patch notes can be found here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=21999480&postcount=10)

Monster Shaman

Abilities
Charisma determines how often a Monster Shaman can use his Black Fire, and how hard his unique abilities are to resist .

Alignment
Any. While most Monsters are evil, the tribal magics used in shamanism require those willing to delve into the mysteries of ancestral shadows and the vial beyond, which can be anyone.

Hit Die
d8.

Class Skills
The Monster Shaman’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Handle Animal (Cha), Heal (Wis), Knowledge (dungeoneering) (Int), Knowledge (geography) (Int), Knowledge (nature) (Int), Listen (Wis), Ride (Dex), Spellcraft (Int), Spot (Wis), Survival (Wis), and Swim (Str).

Skill Points at 1st Level
(4 + Int modifier) ×4.

Skill Points at Each Additional Level
4 + Int modifier.

Level
Base Attack Bonus
Fort Save
Ref Save
Will Save
Special

1st

+1

+2

+0

+2
Black Fire 1d6, Shamanistic Aura +1

2nd

+2

+3

+0

+3
Augmentation (1)

3rd

+3

+3

+1

+3
Black Fire 2d6

4th

+4

+4

+1

+4
Augmentation (2), Necrotic Seepage 1/day

5th

+5

+4

+1

+4
Black Fire 3d6, Mastery Of Black Fire (1), Shamanistic Aura +2

6th

+6/+1

+5

+2

+5
Augmentation (3)

7th

+7/+2

+5

+2

+5
Black Fire 4d6

8th

+8/+3

+6

+2

+6
Necrotic Seepage 2/day

9th

+9/+4

+6

+3

+6
Black Fire 5d6

10th

+10/+5

+7

+3

+7
Shamanistic Aura +3, Mastery Of Black Fire (2)

11th

+11/+6/+1

+7

+3

+7
Black Fire 6d6

12th

+12/+7/+2

+8

+4

+8
Necrotic Seepage 3/day

13th

+13/+8/+3

+8

+4

+8

14th

+14/+9/+4

+9

+4

+9
Black Fire 7d6

15th

+15/+10/+5

+9

+5

+9
Shamanistic Aura +4

16th

+16/+11/+6/+1

+10

+5

+10
Necrotic Seepage 4/day

17th

+17/+12/+7/+2

+10

+5

+10
Black Fire 8d6

18th

+18/+13/+8/+3

+11

+6

+11

19th

+19/+14/+9/+4

+11

+6

+11

20th

+20/+15/+10/+5

+12

+6

+12
Black Fire 9d6, Shamanistic Aura +5, Necrotic Seepage 5/day

Class Features
All of the following are class features of the Monster Shaman.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency
Shamans are proficient with all simple weapons and with light armor.

Black Fire
A Monster Shaman works closely with both the spirits of his colony's ancestors and the spirits of nature. The gift of fire is quickly learned, being passed on to young Monster Shamans as the first part of their training.

A Monster Shaman can, as a standard action, create a mass of black fire in the palm of his hands. This fire gives off shadowy illumination within 30 ft. This fire lasts for 1 minute per level of Monster Shaman. In addition to providing shadowy illumination, the flames can be hurled or used to touch enemies. You can strike an opponent with a melee touch attack, dealing fire damage equal to 1d6+ the Monster Shaman Cha modifier.

A Monster Shaman can create Black Fire a number of times per day equal to their Cha modifier (minimum one). They may extinguish this fire at will, but recreating it will count as a new use of their ability. As a free action, a Monster Shaman may expend a new use of his Black Fire when his current duration would expire.

If the fire is submerged in water, such as having a the Monster Shaman must make a DC 10 consideration check to maintain the ability. The DC increases by +2 per subsequent round.

Shamanistic Aura
At 1sh level, a Monster Shaman begins to radiate his internal spiritual power. He can channel the mighty powers of his ancestral realms to project an aura that grants him and nearby allies a special benefits. Projecting an aura is a swift action, and you can only project one aura at a time. An aura remains in effect until the Monster Shaman uses a free action to dismiss it, or he activates another aura in its place. He can have an aura active continually; thus, an aura can be in effect at the start of an encounter even before the Monster Shaman takes his first turn.

Unless otherwise noted, the aura affects all allies within 30 feet (including the Monster Shaman) with line of effect to him. His aura is dismissed if you become unconscious or are slain, but otherwise it remains in effect even if he is incapable of acting.

The bonus granted by the aura begins at +1 and increases to +2 at 5th level, +3 at 10th level, +4 at 15th level, and +5 at 20th level. A Monster Shaman knows 3 auras upon reaching level 1, and at learns one additional aura at every odd level, until all seven auras are known at 9th level.

Black Fire Shield: Any creature striking you or your ally with a natural attack or a non-reach melee weapon is dealt 2 points of fire damage for each point of your aura bonus.

Power: Bonus on melee damage rolls equal to your aura bonus.

Sticking shadows: Bonus on Hide and move silent checks equal to your aura bonus.

Resistance: Resistance to Fire equal to 5 × your aura bonus.

Senses: Bonus on Listen and Spot checks, as well as on initiative checks, equal to your aura bonus.

Toughness: DR 1/magic for each point of your aura bonus (up to 5/magic at 20th level).

Vigor: Fast healing 1 for each point of your aura bonus, but only affects characters at or below one-half their full normal hit points.

Augmentation
At 2nd level, a Monster Shaman may select one of the following Naturalism. These allow the Monster Shaman to burn some of his Black Fire Duration to gain additional affects. A Monster Shaman gains a second Augmentation of his choice at 4th level, and a third at 6th level.
Ignited Burst- If a Monster Shaman chooses this Augmentation, he gains Burning Hands as a spell-like ability, usable a number of times per day equal to the Monster Shaman's Cha modifier. The Monster Shaman is treated as having a caster level equal to his total number of Monster Shaman levels for this spell-like ability.

Enfeebling Burn- By consuming 30 seconds (5 rounds) of his remaining Black Fire duration, a Monster Shaman may hurl a portion of his Black Fire towards a target. If the Monster Shaman success on a ranged touch attack to strike the target, the Black Fire thins out and snakes around the targets body before sinking into the targets' muscles. The subject takes a penalty to Strength equal to 1d6+1 per two levels of Monster Shaman (maximum 1d6+5). The subject’s Strength score cannot drop below 1, and the affect last for 1 minute per level of Monster Shaman.

Flaming Endurance- If a Monster Shaman chooses this Augmentation, he is treated as being under the effect of Endure Elements. This effect remains even if the Monster Shaman has no remain Black Fire.

In addition, any time a Monster Shaman has his Black Fire active, he receives Fire Resistance 10.

Inflamed Snare- By consuming 30 seconds (5 rounds) of his remaining Black Fire duration, a Monster Shaman may hurl a portion of his Black Fire into an area. The Black Fire spreads out, losing its illumination and becoming both shadowy sludge like. This effect is identical to the Entangle spell, though no plants are used. If an affected target attempts a Strength or Escape Artist check to brake the entanglement and fails, the entangled target takes 1d6 fire damage.

The target area remains under the effects of this Augmentation for 1 minute.

Burn Sight- By consuming 1 minute of his remaining Black Fire duration, a Monster Shaman may cause a portion of his flames to spontaneously form around a target's eyes. The target must make a will save vs. a DC of 10+ ½ of the Monster Shaman level (minimum 1) + the Monster Shaman's Cha modifier. Upon failing the saving through, the target becomes blinded as though they've been affected by the blindness/deafness spell.

Necrotic Seepage
Pulling upon the powers of his ancestral realm, and adulterating it with toxic matter from the Plane of Shadows, a Monster Shaman is able to conjurer virulent poisons and direct these poison at and into creatures.

At 4th level, a Monster Shaman may spend a standard action to summon a miasma into a 5ft area. This effect lasts for 1 round, after which the miasma dissipates harmlessly. Any creature that comes into contact with this Miasma is considered poisoned. They must make a Fort save vs. a DC of 10+ ½ of the Monster Shaman level (minimum 1) + the Monster Shaman's Cha modifier, and suffer 1d4 points of Con damage on a failed save.

One minute later, the must make the same save again (regardless of the first Fort save's results), and take an additional 1d4 points of Con damage on a failed save.

At 8th level, the initial damage is increased to from 1d4 to 1d6, and the Monster Shaman can chose at the time of activating this ability if he wants to effect Con, Str, or Dex with the initial damage.

At 12th level, the initial damage is increased to 2d4, and the the Monster Shaman can chose at the time of activating this ability if he wants to effect Con, Str, or Dex with the secondary damage.

At 16th level, the initial damage is increased to 2d6, and Monster Shaman can chose at the time of activating this ability if he wants to effect Con, Str, Dex, Int, Wis, or Cha with the initial damage. The Monster Shaman can also chose at the time of activating this ability to forgo any secondary damage, and instead have the target contract a disease per the contagion spell, if he failed his previous Fort Save.

At 20th Level, the initial damage becomes to 3d6 Con damage + 3d6 damage to a stat of the Monster Shaman's choosing. The secondary damage becomes 2d4 points of damage to a stat of the Monster Shaman's choice, and regardless of the secondary save, the target contracts a disease per the contagion spell.

A Monster Shaman can can use this ability once per day at 4th level, and one additional time per day every 4 levels after (2/day at 8th, 3/day at 12th, ect...)

Mastery Of Black Fire
At 5th level, a Monster Shaman has gained mastery over the ancestral flames gifted to him. Every hour, he regains one use of his Black Fire ability, up to his maximum uses. In addition, he may select one of the following abilities at 5th level, and a second at 10th:

Black Chain Serpent- The Monster Shaman has practiced forming and shaping his fire, and has learned to draw bits of life from the sprite realm when they produce their flame. By taking this ability, a Monster Shaman may select a target. The target must make a will save vs. a DC of 10+ ½ of the Monster Shaman level (minimum 1) + the Monster Shaman's Cha modifier.

Upon failing the saving through, a coil of black flames wraps around the target like a Pythons, constricting and leaching magic into the target. The target is treated as being affected by the Hold Person spell. This lasts for 1 minute per level of Monster Shaman, and a Monster Shaman may expend 1 full use of his Black Fire ability to double the duration.

However, if a target fails his original will save, he does not make subsequent will saves as per the Hold Person spell. Instead, he may take a full-round action to attempt to brake free with a Str check vs the original DC. Any round in which this is attempted, the target of this ability takes 1d6 fire damage.

This ability may be used 1/day at 5th level, 2/day at 7th level, and 3/day at 9th level.

Char the soul- By taking this ability, a Monster Shaman gains the ability to send forth a ray of black fire. He must make a ranged touch attack to hit. If the attack succeeds, the subject gains 1d4 negative levels, as if the target was struck by the Enervation spell.

A Monster Shaman may expend three uses of Black Fire to add and additional negative level should the attack hit. The Monster Shaman must declare that they are doing so before rolling the ranged touch attack

This ability may be used 1/day at 5th level, 2/day at 7th level, and 3/day at 9th level.

Mantel of Black Flame- By taking this ability, a Monster Shaman gains Fire Resistance 10.

If a Monster Shaman has the Flaming Endurance Augmentation, he instead is treated as having Fire Immunity. This fire immunity is regardless of weather his Black Fire is active. In addition, anytime the Monster Shaman would take Fire Damage, he instead regains 1 minute of Black Fire duration if he currently has his Black Fire active.

Fireball- By taking this ability, a Monster Shaman gains the ability to manifest his Black Fire in an explosive burst. This is identical to the Fireball spell, and your Monster Shaman level is treated as your caster level.

In addition, you can expend 2 full use of your Black Fire to empower the effect (as by the empower metamagic feat). You can expend 3 full use of your Black Fire to maximize the effect (as by the maximize metamagic feat).

Zexionthefirst
2017-05-07, 04:18 AM
[Reserved for future posts]

I need help developing this. Any ideas on what I should add would be welcome. There's way too many dead levels right now.

I would like to stick with the theme of Fire and Shadows. It's sort of an idea for an NPC class/class that would be cool in lower magic settings. Any thoughts would be much appreciated. It's obviously not finished, and I'm posting it now to ask help in finishing it.

Thank you in advance.

Razade
2017-05-07, 04:37 AM
This is a prestige class, not a main class. Also, should run through this to look for mis-spellings.

Zexionthefirst
2017-05-07, 05:12 AM
This is a prestige class, not a main class. Also, should run through this to look for mis-spellings.

No, I don't want this to be a prestige class. I want this to be a unique class for goblins (that could be adapted for non-goblins to use). Right now, the intention is for several NPC goblins to have this class. However, I've ran into a bit of a creative dry-spell, and posted what I have so far, as well as asked for suggestions to make this a full class.

As for misspellings, I double checks my word document and found like two errors. Which leads me to believe I've spelled words correctly, but the words I spelled were not the correct words to use. Thanks for the heads up, I'll dive through it and see what I can fix in that regard.

Shark Uppercut
2017-05-07, 06:07 AM
You might not need to create a ton of unique class features, because this could easily be a set of Alternate Class Features for an existing class.
Right now, I'm seeing an alternative Warlock that doesn't have unlimited Eldritch Blasts... and it has Dragon Shaman auras, but delayed. Which is cool, it's very thematic for Goblins. But at least make it as powerful as the base Warlock, please?

High Fortitude and full BAB are nice.

Black Fire getting +Cha damage is nice, limited times isn't. Eldritch Blast is unlimited, why can't Black Fire be? Also, why would goblins hold their fire underwater?

Animal Shadow Guide could be a Least Invocation, since it can be spammed, allow only 1 to be present at a time. Also...

Animal Shadow Guide
A Goblin Shaman is treated as a druid of an equal level, and may select any animal that a druid could chose as an animal companion to serve as their Animal Shadow Guide.

Mastery Of Black Fire
He may select one of the following abilities:
Shadow Spirit Guide- The Goblin Shaman may now maintain his Animal Shadow Guide. By taking this ability, the Animal Shadow Guide gains the same advancement the a Druid's animal companion would gain.

So nothing changed?

Animal Empathy can be a free addition to the Beguiling Influence Invocation.

Woodland Stride and Trackless Step are so small, just slap them on Warlock for free.

Warlocks already have blast essences to blind or do fire damage. Hellrime Blast could to changed to apply a Str penalty.

The thing that's like Hold Person... is wordy and complicated. I'd rather make Hold Person a Lesser Invocation, then tinker with it.

Enervation at lvl5 is pretty sweet. I'd rather make it an Invocation for unlimited uses, but put in a 1 minute cooldown, so it probably can only be used once per encounter. Also...

Char the soul
A Goblin Shaman may expend three uses of Black Fire to add an additional negative level should the attack hit. The Goblin Shaman must declare that they are doing so before rolling the ranged touch attack.

1- Typo.
2- If you only have (Charisma Mod) Black Fire in your holster, how is that worth spending 3 of them to maybe get +1 negative level?

Getting Dragon Shaman auras is nice, but let them roll out faster than lvl8. Like, as fast as Dragon Shamans do.

Zexionthefirst
2017-05-07, 06:57 AM
I'm seeing an alternative Warlock without unlimited Eldritch Blasts... with delayed Dragon Shaman auras. Which is cool, it's very thematic for Goblins. But at least make it as powerful as the Warlock is, please.

Fair enough. This is definitely underpowered at the moment. I figured it would be easier to add to the class, and bring it up.

Black Fire getting +Cha damage is nice, limited times isn't. Eldritch Blast is unlimited, why can't Black Fire be? Also, why would goblins hold their fire underwater?

Part 1: It wasn't initially based off of Eldritch Blast, but it sort of morphed into that. So I added scaling to the damage. But it was initially just based on the Produce Flame spell, and I had wanted to have the augmentations, or "Invocations" if you will, work by drawing power from the remaining duration.

Part 2: I mean, a player could hold a goblin underwater. Murder hobos sometimes try drowning? But seriously, that line is there as a just in case.

Animal Shadow Guide could be a Least Invocation, since it can be spammed, allow only 1 to be present at a time. Also...

If Black Fire becomes unlimited, this is completely true. It'll probably happen.

So nothing changed?

Animal Shadow Guide simply allows you to have an animal that a druid of your level could have. That animal is not advanced.

If you take Shadow Spirit Guide, the animal gains the advancement that a druid's animal companion would gain (ie. Bonus HD, Natural Armor Adj, and Str/Dex Adj. Ect...)

Underpowered to start. Any suggestions on phrasing? And what would you think if this gained a bit more scaling, by eventually making the chosen animal be considered incorporeal. Since it's being pulled, in part, from a spirit realm?

Animal Empathy can be a free addition to the Beguiling Influence Invocation.

Woodland Stride and Trackless Step are so small, just slap them on Warlock for free.

Warlocks already have blast essences to blind or do fire damage. Hellrime Blast could to changed to apply a Str penalty.

I just want to make sure I'm following you here. Are you suggesting that I just use a modified version of the Warlock class, with homebrew blast essences and invocations? I just want to make sure that I'm not drawing the wrong conclusion.

Enervation at lvl5 is pretty sweet. I'd rather make it an Invocation for unlimited uses, but put in a 1 minute cooldown, so it probably can only be used once per encounter.

1 minute cooldown. I like that. Sorta like the cooldowns on the Binder class. That's something I feel silly for not trying that first.

1- Typo. 2- If you only have (Charisma Mod) Black Fire in your holster, how is that worth spending 3 of them?

That's there so that when you have more uses per day (from a higher charisma modifier), you can make it a bit better. Also, thank you for pointing out the extra "d".

Getting Dragon Shaman auras is nice, but let them roll out faster than lvl8. Like, as fast as Dragon Shamans do.
Noted.

Thank you for the input. Really, seriously, thank you for taking the time to read through this and helping me make it better.

Shark Uppercut
2017-05-07, 07:49 AM
It wasn't initially based off of Eldritch Blast, but it sort of morphed into that. So I added scaling to the damage. But it was initially just based on the Produce Flame spell, and I had wanted to have the augmentations, or "Invocations" if you will, work by drawing power from the remaining duration.

Ok. You don't actually need to have unlimited Black Fires. Maybe they get lvl+Cha per day, and things that use up duration... well, use up less. Try doing a simulation of a goblin adventuring party against a level-appropriate encounter, and see how much Black Flame you use.

Animal Shadow Guide simply allows you to have an animal that a druid of your level could have. That animal is not advanced.

If you take Shadow Spirit Guide, the animal gains the advancement that a druid's animal companion would gain (ie. Bonus HD, Natural Armor Adj, and Str/Dex Adj. Ect...)

Ah, I see.
I'd like to point out, the upgrade isn't always required for full power. Observe:
A Lvl1 Druid has a normal Wolf.
A Lvl7 Druid still has their Wolf, who has +4 bonus HD, etc etc.
A Lvl7 Druid just got a Tiger. It has no bonuses... but is probably just as strong as the upgraded wolf.

If the Shaman only chooses more powerful animals, they never need to upgrade the lower level ones. Getting the ability to upgrade low-level animal companions becomes a role-playing option because you like wolves more than tigers, instead of a combat power option.
Is this bad? If so, how to fix?

And what would you think if this gained a bit more scaling, by eventually making the chosen animal be considered incorporeal. Since it's being pulled, in part, from a spirit realm?
Maybe this is the fix, if the bonus stats make the wolf actually better than the tiger.
Off the top of my head... part or all of their natural armor becomes Deflection armor. Then Incorporeality at lvl5-7. Natural weapons overcome DR/Magic. They have DR/Magic, or maybe DR/Cold Iron. Various energy resistances. Doing Str/Dex/Con/Cha damage with natural attacks. Being able to use Magic Jar at lvl10.

I just want to make sure I'm following you here. Are you suggesting that I just use a modified version of the Warlock class, with homebrew blast essences and invocations? I just want to make sure that I'm not drawing the wrong conclusion.
Basically yeah. I hope I'm not being insulting, turning your base class into a set of Warlock Substitution Levels, or just an upgraded Warlock.

Also, once Black Fires become unlimited, they can't be spent for making Char the Soul do d4+1 negative levels.
But I like making Char the Soul do d4+1 negative levels
Maybe even d4+4 by lvl17. How would we slip in a limited-use power-up, that scales every few levels?

Zexionthefirst
2017-05-07, 04:17 PM
Wanted to let you know that I have started working on refitting the class based in the ideas and suggestions you game me. I'll give you an update when I've got one.

Ok. You don't actually need to have unlimited Black Fires. Maybe they get lvl+Cha per day, and things that use up duration... well, use up less. Try doing a simulation of a goblin adventuring party against a level-appropriate encounter, and see how much Black Flame you use.

I'll continue design, then, with the original goal of using duration to power the Black Fire up. Probably increases the number of Naturalism of Black Fire options, and let you pick up more then one. I'll move the Shaman aura up, letting you get it sooner, and... well, I'll post when I have something improved. Though, please continue to share any idea you have.

And that goes for people who aren't Shark Uppercut, too.

Zexionthefirst
2017-05-08, 10:14 PM
Alright, I'm thinking about retooling this. I'm intending it to be a class that a DM could throw onto a Goblin or Lizardfolk to get a bit of a unique encounter. And perhaps a player would chose to play this in a lower magic setting.

Edits I have made:
1) Shamanistic Power is renamed as Shamanistic Aura, is gained at first level. Advancement then proceeds as a dragon shaman both for aura power and auras know.

2) Nature Sense, Wild Empathy, Woodland Stride, and Trackless Step have been removed.

3) Animal Shadow Guide and Shadow Spirit Guide have been removed.

Things I plan to add:
1) I plan of adding a toxin/poison motif to the Goblin Shaman. This would be an ability called Necrotic Seepage (working title). It would add some sort of poison effect to targets hit by Black Fire. The exact details are still in R&D.

2) I want to add to the options of Naturalism of Black Fire, and I plan to increase the number a Goblin Shaman gets. Included in this, I want to add an option that can emulate the summon nature's ally spell, as a means of replacing the lost Animal Shadow Guide.

I want to thank Shark Uppercut for helping get to a point where I realize the direction I want to take this class. You feedback so far has meant a lot to me, and I've made a not of all your suggestions to either use in the future on other projects, or to use on this as a variant.

Zexionthefirst
2017-05-15, 11:23 PM
Edits I have made:
1a) Naturalism of Black Fire has been renamed Augmentation. You receive 1 Augmentation at 2nd, 4th, and 6th levels. Progression stops at six as of now.
1b) Additional options have been added to the Augmentation section.

2) Mastery Of Black Fire has additional options, and you gain one at 5th level and a second at 10th level.

3) Changed class name to Monster Shaman. This is to better represent that this class is meant more for DMs to use on monstrous NPCs, such as Goblins, Lizardfolk, or Kuo-Toa. While any race could play this class, the intent from my standpoint is to give the DM an NPC class that offers unique flavor.

4) Added the Necrotic Seepage class ability. The name is not set in stone, and any thoughts of the mechanics would be wonderfully welcome.

Things I plan to add:
1) An ability based off of the Poison (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/poison.htm)spell and an ability based off of the Contagion (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/contagion.htm) spell. As of right now, the idea is for these to be separate class features from Black Fire.

2) I have been thinking about changing Shamanistic Aura to more like an area version of the 2nd level stat buffing spells (Ie. Eagle’s Splendor and such).