PDA

View Full Version : Help polishing a build

Marvo
2017-05-07, 06:44 AM
Hello, long time lurker first post. Sorry about grammar, didn't write anything in English since high school.

Currently I am building hexblade and somehow I am not satisfied with result - something is mising :smallwink:

Build goes:
1.) human paragon 1 // combat reflexses, standstil, advanced learning lucid dreaming
2.) hexblade 1
3.) hexblade 2 // power attack
4.) hexblade 3
5.) hexblade 4 // combat casting
6.) hexblade 5 // obtain familiar
7.) abjurant champion 1
8.) abjurant champion 2
9.) crusader 1 // martial stance: thicket of blades
10.) human paragon 2 // extra granted manuveur
11.) human paragon 3
12.) mindbender 1 // midsigt
13.) abjurant champion 3
14.) abjurant champion 4
15.) abjurant champion 5 // improved familiar
16.) jpm 1
17.) jpm 2
18.) jpm 3 // robiliars gambit
19.) jpm 4
20.) jpm 5

Gildedragon
2017-05-07, 09:08 AM
Any particular reason to be getting lucid dreaming?

Marvo
2017-05-07, 10:31 AM
No particular, it is simply uber powerful skill that is rearly used. Going UMD or Ijuatsu focus will provably look more impresive. I would really wont to put imperius comand somewhere, posibly droping improved familiar?

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2017-05-07, 11:09 AM
I would get a different class's spellcasting to advance with your prestige classes, since Hexblade casting is so lackluster. Sorcerer or Suel Arcanamach to keep it Cha-based, or Duskblade to not lose any more BAB, would be ideal. Also be sure to include Practiced Spellcaster, which will also allow you to take Mindbender earlier.

You don't necessarily need to take Martial Stance for Thicket of Blades, since you'll have an initiator level high enough to pick that as your 1st level stance. The wording on Stances Known: "You begin play with knowledge of one 1st-level stance...." does not limit you to 1st level stances at the 1st level of the class, it says you begin play with a 1st level stance. So a 1st level character who takes Crusader at 1st level has a 1st-level stance. If this is taken to mean that the first stance the class gives you must be 1st level regardless of when you gain that class level, then you begin play with that stance, even if you haven't taken your first level of the class yet. Thus every character could say they plan on taking Crusader, Swordsage, and Warblade at some point, and automatically get a 1st level stance available to each class as a 1st level character, even if your planned build doesn't include the class until level 50+. So either you can take any stance you can otherwise qualify for at your first level of the class (unless it's the first class level your character takes), or you're limited to a 1st level stance but you get one 1st level stance for each of those three classes as a 1st level character, instead of when you take your first level of each class.

Marvo
2017-05-07, 11:44 AM
I am not so sure that is the case. It specifically says: You begin play with knowledge of one 1st-level stance from the Devoted Spirit, Stone Dragon, or White Raven discipline. I always presumed that you can't take higher level initiator stances until your second level of crusader or swordsage (or 4th level of warblade) no mater how late you take your first level

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2017-05-07, 11:57 AM
I am not so sure that is the case. It specifically says: You begin play with knowledge of one 1st-level stance from the Devoted Spirit, Stone Dragon, or White Raven discipline. I always presumed that you can't take higher level initiator stances until your second level of crusader or swordsage (or 4th level of warblade) no mater how late you take your first level

It doesn't say at your 1st level of the class, it says you begin play with it. Either it means if you take this class at 1st level you get a 1st level stance, or it means if you ever plan on taking this class you get a 1st level stance as a 1st level character. If you multiclass into an initiator class at a later level, the only way it would be limiting you to a 1st level stance is if it gave you that 1st level stance as a 1st level character, before you even took the class.

Gildedragon
2017-05-07, 12:46 PM
Considering this as a build for play: the 1st level of crusader/warblade/ssage will likely only allow for a 1st level stance.
One can argue until one is blue in the face for some other interpretation but it is a fairly reasonable stab at RAI, same as SSage getting x4 not x6 skillpoints at 1st level.

Marvo
2017-05-07, 12:47 PM
It doesn't say at your 1st level of the class, it says you begin play with it. Either it means if you take this class at 1st level you get a 1st level stance, or it means if you ever plan on taking this class you get a 1st level stance as a 1st level character. If you multiclass into an initiator class at a later level, the only way it would be limiting you to a 1st level stance is if it gave you that 1st level stance as a 1st level character, before you even took the class.

Now I feel stupid. That could make diping much more appealing

Marvo
2017-05-07, 12:49 PM
Went through tome of battle and it is a case of RAI vs RAW. What is general consensus on the isue