PDA

View Full Version : Blood Hunter/Open Palm monk, OotA build idea!

SMac8988
2017-05-07, 07:35 AM
Some friends and I are prepping to delve into the abyss and start all sorts of shenanigans in the underdark.

I wanted to try out Matt Mercer ' s blood hunter, and I am always a fan of multi classing and it seems the monk plays very well for this.

I've talked to my DM and he is ok with allowing the homebrewed class and has looked it over with no complaints.

My idea would be to start monk, and then go at least 6 levels into blood hunter before going back to monk. Going open hand and lycan.

We are doing standard stats, and I am looking at V.Human, with stats focusing dex, con, wis.

Str 12 Dex 16 (+1). Con 14 (+1). Int 10 Wis 14 Cha 8 would be my start.

Then magic initate as my feat, DM has approved hunters mark for my 1st level, since it fits the character (going Lycan hunter.) I'm unsure on cantrips just yet.

My thought was by using hunters mark, and going wolf in big fights, my damage would be high enough I could focus everything on role playing and utility stuff and still maintain combat ability.

Hunters mark +1d6 per attack.
Wolf claws 1d6 slashing
Crimson rite 1d4/1d6 per attack.

Plus being able to flurry. Means 4 attacks at potentionally 3d6 per attack plus dex.

Does this sound right or am I missing sometbing?

Does this sound like it will last In the pits abd prisons of the underdark?

Nishant
2017-05-07, 09:06 AM
Perhaps there's an update I'm unaware of, but where are you getting the Hunter's mark spell?

Outside of that, seems like a real fun build, just remember that you're going to be really squishy. I'd focus on maxing that AC as soon as possible to balance that.

Edit; somehow missed the magic initiate stuff. If hunters mark is aligned to ranger/ Druid, perhaps shillelagh or thorn whip?

jaappleton
2017-05-07, 09:09 AM
Hunter's Mark is Ranger Exclusive, and is exempt from selection of Magic Initiate.

Read Magic Initiate again. Ranger isn't there. Neither is Paladin.

Hex would be close to what you're trying to do, from the Warlock.

SMac8988
2017-05-07, 09:18 AM
Hunter's Mark is Ranger Exclusive, and is exempt from selection of Magic Initiate.

Read Magic Initiate again. Ranger isn't there. Neither is Paladin.

Hex would be close to what you're trying to do, from the Warlock.

Sorry I forgot to mention that my dm said that since hunters mark does nearly the same as hex I could swap them out since hunters mark fits more thematically with the character.

I was thinking level 4 pick up tough, for the extra hp then do at least one more bump to wisdom or dex and get mobility so I can hit and run.

When in wolf mode I'll have resistance to blunt, Slash and pierce. And monk will eventually give me the dodge bonus action.

Idk if there is much else I could do to help with the squish of the classes.

I was thinking magic stone wouldn't be terrible to pick up. I don't know if he wants me to stick with the warlock spell list since that's the only place I would get hex to swap for hunters mark.