PDA

View Full Version : Celerity and Quick Recovery

alex1g
2017-05-07, 07:43 AM
Whenever you begin your turn stunned or dazed, you can make a new saving throw at the original DC of the effect that stunned or dazed you in an attempt to recover. Recovering from being stunned or dazed in this way is a move action, if the effect that caused you to become stunned or dazed did not allow a saving throw, you can recover by succeeding on a Will save (DC 10 + 1/2 HD or caster level of originator of effect + relevant ability modifier, or Cha modifier if there is not an obvious ability linked to the effect).

Question is. Is my save "DC 10 + 1/2 HD" or "caster level of originator of effect + relevant ability modifier, or Cha modifier if there is not an obvious ability linked to the effect".
Since I'm the caster of celerity, isn't it "caster level of originator which is me; of effect + relevant ability modifier, or Cha modifier if there is not an obvious ability linked to the effect"?
The caster is 10+10lvl+6 mod for intelligence. This actually bones me when I use quick recovery because I'm a high and intelligent wizard. So what I take it that this is not really meant for a caster ever use with celerity. It's mostly dumb fighters, I take it.

Eldariel
2017-05-07, 08:11 AM
It's not meant to be used with Celerity of course. But you can use it and by buffing your saves, it is doable. However, the originator of the effect is the Celerity-spell, not you. You're the spell's caster, but the spell is what causes the condition. In fact, you can thus lower your caster level for Celerity to a minimum of 7 (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicOverview/castingSpells.htm#casterLevel) which, as long as you aren't targeted by counterspells or suppressing effects, leaves you with some very manageable saving throw (36 Int level 20 character would merely need to pass a DC 20 save).

Crake
2017-05-07, 12:28 PM
Whenever you begin your turn stunned or dazed, you can make a new saving throw at the original DC of the effect that stunned or dazed you in an attempt to recover. Recovering from being stunned or dazed in this way is a move action, if the effect that caused you to become stunned or dazed did not allow a saving throw, you can recover by succeeding on a Will save (DC 10 + 1/2 HD or caster level of originator of effect + relevant ability modifier, or Cha modifier if there is not an obvious ability linked to the effect).

Question is. Is my save "DC 10 + 1/2 HD" or "caster level of originator of effect + relevant ability modifier, or Cha modifier if there is not an obvious ability linked to the effect".
Since I'm the caster of celerity, isn't it "caster level of originator which is me; of effect + relevant ability modifier, or Cha modifier if there is not an obvious ability linked to the effect"?
The caster is 10+10lvl+6 mod for intelligence. This actually bones me when I use quick recovery because I'm a high and intelligent wizard. So what I take it that this is not really meant for a caster ever use with celerity. It's mostly dumb fighters, I take it.

Since celerity has no benefit from high ability modifier and high caster level, you can actually willingly reduce both of those to the minimum required by the spell, so CL 7 and 14 int, for a DC of 15.

Douglas
2017-05-07, 12:58 PM
I think you're parsing the grouping wrong. My understanding of it is:
"10"
+
"1/2 (HD or caster level)"
+
"relevant ability modifier, or Cha mod"

So as a level 10 wizard with +6 int, the DC is 10 + (1/2 * 10) + 6 = 10+5+6 = 21.

Since celerity has no benefit from high ability modifier and high caster level, you can actually willingly reduce both of those to the minimum required by the spell, so CL 7 and 14 int, for a DC of 15.
You can willingly reduce caster level to the minimum, but I don't recall ever seeing a rule about doing the same with ability score bonus. Do you have a rules reference on that?

alex1g
2017-05-08, 09:51 PM
Yeah Douglas is right. You can lower a spell to minimum. Example Fireball by 10th lvl mage, can be lowered from 10d6 to 3d6 but you can't lower your ability to lower your save DC.