PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Basic requirments necessary for generic grimoire-type intelligent item item familiar?

Schattenbach
2017-05-07, 08:13 AM
To sum it up, I would like to equip high-level/epic spellcasters with "contracted grimoires" (Intelligent items with standard class levels - either Wizard or Archivist, I guess ... I'm not so sure about giving them access to other stuff, PrCs included, because although that might help when it comes to giving additional fluff to them, things might get out of hand considerably quickly and/or their role as grimoire might suffer quite a bit - of either something of some pseudo cohort equivalent or and this might end up better for everyone involved, put no direct level limit towards the item familiar as NPC and let it suck up items like any other regular party member would (which, for the more high-level Grimoires, would end up resulting in something like 20 to 50 class levels or so, so epic spellcasters all on their own).

What I'm wondering about here several is about things like ...

... what kind of item to use as base (to minimize additional costs ... for adding enhancement boni and stuff that adds to spellcraft/concentration/knowledge/etc. or whatever other features that items has ... due to factors like "multiple different abilities"/"nonstandard slot"/"no body slot affinity/etc. ... on that note - as the grimoire is unlikel to be wepon shaped - would adding enhancement boni on top of it on the basis of it being some kind of improvised weapon work?) as well as to what to use as basic creature framework (no physical stats and whatever mental stats are there due to the improvements according to th pricing guidelines for epic intelligent items as well as the boni originating from being some item familiar AND whatever boni there are to HP/Hardness due to the items material and enhancement boni ... or whatever stats some animated object of that size would get AND whatever mental stats are there due to the improvements according to th pricing guidelines for epic intelligent items as well as the boni originating from being some item familiar put on top of that AND whatever boni there are to HP/Hardness due to the items material and enhancement boni?)

... how to best handle the (in-combat) interaction between the owner and the grimoire itself?

... how to give the intelligent items the capability to use spells in their grimoire form (Still spell/Silent Spell/Eschew Material/Ignore Material Component might be necessary here, I guess, depending on what's being used as base and how things are being dealt with) as well as to how to give them the abillity to change their form in something else (if necessary or if the grimoire feels like it)?

Using some object that results in some small-sized construct seems like the best option here to me, I guess, especially when using the stats for Animated Objects as base (because those should be able to replace their single Construct HD with Class levels, if its necessary to do that).

So ... has someone some advice for me about things to take note of to make this idea work properly or what could be done to improve this further (or point out things I might#ve overlooked)?

Thanks in advance.

Gildedragon
2017-05-07, 08:36 AM
Grimoires? Make them books.
Buff the book with metal covers, resistant paper, etc... see Complete Mage ornComplete Arcane for more book bells and whistles

They could possibly also have only say... 10 pages, one for each school and universal spells or one per level, and the spells themselves are hidden via secret page so they may be made of THICK metal.

Re point 3: how to make them capable of using the spells in them: Spell to Power Erudite levels instead of wiz or archivist.

Alternatively: spell glyphs via Geometer 1 + Rune Smith 1. They can use drawings on themselves to cast the spells stilled and silenced.

Spell glyphs are expensive costing 25*Spell Level gp... if cost reducing feats apply then the spell book might cast often. Otherwise it'll be more sparing with its use of spells

Either way: the book having a psicrystal embedded into its cover, using it as a scribe is a neat idea

Another idea could be for the spell book to be large enough to act as a magic carpet of sorts.