PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Mind Over Magic

Waker
2017-05-07, 03:35 PM
I'm debating running a short Psionic heavy campaign to give players a chance to screw around with a system that they might not have a lot of exposure to normally. I know that back in 3.5, Psionics had some difficulties with certain status ailments or little things like resurrection. Were I to run a PF game with no standard magic available, what is some of the advice you would give me? Tips, monsters to avoid, anything you can think of.

SaintNick
2017-05-07, 06:38 PM
My biggest tip is to make sure you read everything very carefully, especially powers. A number of powers found in Pathfinder can be quite similar to those found in 3.5, but with subtle differences that can end up be very important. For example, when Psionic Minor Creation was converted over to Ectoplasmic Creation, DSP changed vegetable matter to organic matter. This single word change greatly expands the options available to the power.

Also, something that gets glossed over a lot is that psionic power displays can be suppressed. This means that it can be almost impossible to know or prevent a power from being manifested until after the effect has taken hold. Depending on how common psionic manifesters are in your campaign, safe-guards against them might also be more common/important. The manufacture of Null Psionic Field items would likely be a very lucrative business.

Milo v3
2017-05-07, 07:35 PM
I think it's a bit better than in 3.5e, but DSP specifically went out of their way to make the Vitalist psionic class to be a master at removing status problems and be an interesting healer so games that are purely psionic have less worries.

Psyren
2017-05-07, 10:12 PM
PF psionics has a number of powers available that fills the gaps left by 3.5 psionics, and (as Milo mentioned) a whole healer-type psionic class that can focus on this if the party needs one.

Alternatively, you can run with Psychic Magic instead, which is the Paizo alternative to psionics - capturing much of the same feel (i.e. using magic by thinking very hard at things) but having more overlap with standard spellcasting in terms of the effects available and the party-friendly aspects of spellcasting like buffing and restoration.