PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Help hiding my treasure!

Weepingxxbadger
2017-05-07, 03:50 PM
Hello!

I am just making this post to help me with ideas on keeping my treasure and gold safe while I am out adventuring!

I have bought a tavern and am currently renovating. I am building an extension on the back where the party can come back to as a home base with separate rooms and our own dining area, etc. I am also putting in an Innkeepers office.

What I am wanting aid in is finding out a decent way to keep our adventuring treasure and coin hidden away. I.E. a vault of some sort, magical preferred.

Any help would be amazing!

Thank you all in advance!

Corran
2017-05-07, 04:38 PM
I am sure there are better ways, but what I can think of is to use (or have someone else do it) Leomund's secret chest.

ps: Checking on it, it works slightly different than what I remember from previous editions, but it is still a decent (if not a bit costly) way to go about hiding your loot.

Laserlight
2017-05-07, 04:43 PM
To what purpose? I'd just tell the DM "I don't want to make an adventure out of guarding my gold; that doesn't sound like fun to me. I put my loot in the bank, or whatever rich people normally do with it." If he wants to take it, he can send a misty stepping pixie sorcerer with Dominate and a Portable Hole, or an ancient dragon shapeshifted into a human, or whatever; you can't make it DM-proof.

nickl_2000
2017-05-07, 05:01 PM
How about the classic conspiracy theorist methods?

Coffee cans buried in the ground
Under the mattress (yes, all 10,000 go under the mattress)

Or methods that others use and could be useful to your question
Invest in many bags of holding and carry it with you
Put it in a bank
Lend money to a local lord and carry the IOUs
Convert it into valuable gems and just carry the gems (this is the easiest one)

RickAllison
2017-05-07, 05:02 PM
There are a few questions that can help figure out exactly what you need and can do:

1) What classes do you have? A group of rangers, barbarians, and fighters are going to have very different resources to pull from than one with wizards or clerics.

2) From whom are you protecting it? Defending it from powerful mages tends to leave bright, glowing runes, things which make it more vulnerable to common crooks who see those runes and correctly deduce that valuables are inside.

3) Magic items? Some of those such as a Decanter of Endless Water could be rigged up as part of your defenses. They also work for...

4) Deception. This ties into point 2, as someone looking for specific treasure of yours will not be fooled by a minor magic item and some gold as a decoy, but a thief just looking for a score likely I'll be content with finding a magic item and loot to boot.

5) What kind of footprint do we have to work with? Do we have catacombs or goblin warrens competing for space? Those can be a weakness and a strength.

6) How accessible must it be? It is very different planning for something that must be accessed by multiple people daily than it is to have something that only the party together can open at the start, close, and major events of adventures.

7) Are you okay with some short-term losses? Collapsing a cavern onto all of your hard-earned goods may seem extreme, but it sets a precedent. You want the thieves to believe that attempts on your treasure result in death. But not every person, else you become a target for adventurers. You let your decoys portray your hoard as a small but very nice fortune which is not enticing to the best, and those who are not the best are dissuaded by the fear of death.

sir_argo
2017-05-08, 01:27 AM
My main character is/was a wizard (we just ended the campaign last Saturday). He was 15th level. He hid his treasure in a Demiplane.

Cast Mordenkainen's Magnificent Mansion and only allow yourself in. Walk to the very back of the mansion and cast Demiplane on a wall there. Cast Mordenkainen's Private Sanctum on the 30'x30' demiplane you created. All but impossible for someone to even know about it, never-the-less try to break in.

Before attaining 15th level, I created three secret rooms below my tower. One was down 500', the second at 1000', and the last was at 1500' feet. I cast Dimension Door three times to get down to the third room. That room is 1500' below ground level, beyond the 1000' range of the various Locate ??? spells. Again, I used Mordenkainen's Private Sanctum, but had to allow teleportation because I was using Dimension Door to get in.

Christian
2017-05-08, 12:16 PM
I believe the traditional method is to secrete it in a secret room in an underground labyrinth, which you then riddle with traps and stock with monstrous guardians.

It's easiest if you just use the dungeon you looted it from in the first place. Sometimes, you don't even have to move it--just reset the traps and walk away. Monsters will move in on their own eventually, and voila! Your money is safe!

Herobizkit
2017-05-16, 05:34 AM
Buy real estate.

Seriously.

How many 'liquid assets' do you need? Invest in another/more businesses? Buy a mansion? Statues?

Blacky the Blackball
2017-05-16, 05:51 AM
1) Build a vault and make sure the entrance to it is suitably trapped and protected from scrying and the like. However, the vault is just for misdirection since you store all your money in a portable hole that you carry about your person. When you want some money, go to the vault and open the hole in there to take some out - never open the hole (or even reveal its existence) outside the vault. Anyone wanting to steal will assume the money is hidden in your vault somehow.

2) Forget the vault. Just carry your money around in a portable hole. Anyone wanting to steal it has to get it off you first and you're probably harder than any protection you could afford to leave protecting money you leave at home while you're away.

3) Stick your money in a number of lead-lined boxed and bury them in semi-random places around your land. There's little chance of anyone finding one by accident, and even if they do it's only a fraction of your total.

4) Spend it. Seriously, even in D&D-land you can't take it with you to the afterlife.

Quoxis
2017-05-16, 10:23 AM
One (or multiple) bag of holding can be of help too, minimizing the space needed to hide your stuff. Put 500 pounds of gold/platinum inside, then deposit an unsuspicious looking bag at the local bank. Nobody who's not specifically searching for magic treasure will even assume it could be worth something.
Of course this also works with the "bury it underground" trick - now you don't have to dig a hole big enough for a vault, just a tiny one - you could even plant a flower on top of it to find it again.

Blacky the Blackball
2017-05-16, 03:18 PM
If you put your money in a bag of holding, and then drop it into a portable hole, no-one will ever find it.