PDA

View Full Version : What are your half dragon variants?

Pr6i6e6st
2017-05-07, 04:56 PM
So, the monster manual included only one variety of half dragon. A human veteran.

Let's get crazy! It says a beast, humanoid, giant or monstrosity can become half dragon. So there's a huge list of messed up half-breeds out there. Got stats for them? Share em! Let us see your abominations!!

I wanna see terrasque half dragons, mind flayer half dragons, hydra half Dragons! I want to see them all in their disfigured glory!
Unleash the half dragon kraken! Free the aboleth half dragon! Make the player characters quake in their boots at the mere thought of your abomination!

Torrin
2017-05-08, 09:26 AM
I once had my party run into a Huge Half-Dragon Hydra, I had considered giving each head it's own breath recharge, but decided that would be a bit too much.

My campaigns are very Dragon-Heavy. In a high-power I was running, they met both an aspect of Bahamut and Tiamat, in the interest of rescuing a dear friend who was a dragon-type homebrew race, and one of my two players was also a silver Half-Dragon-Were-Dragon through a magical potion.

Aett_Thorn
2017-05-08, 09:46 AM
A Half-Dragon Ettin, with one giant head and one dragon?

A Half-Dragon Storm Giant that can breath lightning?

Half-Dragon Harpies, that lure people to them and then breath acid on them?

A Half-Dragon lycanthrope, where the dragon aspects only come out in their hybrid forms?

A Half-Dragon mummy lord? The reason he was mummified was because of the half-dragon aspects, which the people thought were unnatural?

nickl_2000
2017-05-08, 09:52 AM
Because heck with it, lets combine as many different animals as possible

Half-Dragon Chimera
Half-Dragon Owlbear
Half-Dragon Griffon

And it's not in D&D but I would make one in this confusing world
Half-Dragon Platypus

Pr6i6e6st
2017-05-08, 09:57 AM

Half-Dragon Chimera
Half-Dragon Owlbear
Half-Dragon Griffon

Half-Dragon Platypus

Wouldn't. . . Wouldn't a half dragon chimera just. . . Just be a chimera? Lol

But that list is great lol

nickl_2000
2017-05-08, 10:12 AM
Wouldn't. . . Wouldn't a half dragon chimera just. . . Just be a chimera? Lol

I'll just let you continue to ponder the answer to that question over time.

Honestly, my mind went to Homer's version of the Chimera not the D&D Chimera. The Homer version is Lion, Goat, and Snake with no dragon in there.

Aett_Thorn
2017-05-08, 10:19 AM
I'll just let you continue to ponder the answer to that question over time.

Honestly, my mind went to Homer's version of the Chimera not the D&D Chimera. The Homer version is Lion, Goat, and Snake with no dragon in there.

Well, D&D didn't create the dragon part. that came from Hesiod.

nickl_2000
2017-05-08, 10:26 AM
Well, D&D didn't create the dragon part. that came from Hesiod.

Darn myths arguing with each other...

Aett_Thorn
2017-05-08, 10:28 AM
Darn myths arguing with each other...

And most of the myths had the goat breathe the fire. Because that makes sense. I'm wondering what part the dragon played in the whole thing, coming out of the butt and all.

nickl_2000
2017-05-08, 10:37 AM
And most of the myths had the goat breathe the fire. Because that makes sense. I'm wondering what part the dragon played in the whole thing, coming out of the butt and all.

A rear end dragon is definitely a Green Dragon as it would only be able to use Poison Breath "The dragon exhales poisonous gas..."

(yes, I did just make a fart joke. Yes, I am acting like a 8 year old. I've done enough adulting today, and needed to regress for a moment)

Maxilian
2017-05-08, 10:37 AM

Half-Dragon Chimera
Half-Dragon Owlbear
Half-Dragon Griffon

Half-Dragon Platypus

Those are not animals.

Well they are monstruosities. so it works, but not animals though (also i'm unsure what the OP wants, just add whatever the template gives you to the creature

Arkhios
2017-05-08, 11:41 AM
I made this one a little over a year ago for a game where I didn't want to include real dragons just yet:

Medium half-dragon beast, unaligned
Armor Class 14 (natural armor)
Hit Points 75 (10d8 + 20)
Speed 30ft., climb 30ft.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
STR 16 (+3) DEX 15 (+2) CON 14 (+2) INT 3 (- 4) WIS 10 (+0) CHA 10 (+0)
Senses blindsight 10 ft., darkvision 60ft., passive Perception 10
Resistance Acid
Languages Draconic (understands but can't speak)
Challenge 3

ACTIONS
Bite. Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target.
Hit: 8 (1d10 + 3) piercing damage.
Claw. Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target.
Hit: 6 (1d6 + 3) slashing damage.
Rage (once per long rest). As a Bonus Action on its turn, a Monitor Drake can enter rage for 1 minute. While raging, the Monitor Drake gains Multiattack (one bite & one claw), deals 2 extra damage with its melee attacks, and gains resistance against bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing damage.
Breath Weapons (Recharge 5-6)
The Half-Dragon Monitor Lizard uses one of the following breath weapons.
Acid Breath. The monitor drake exhales acid in a 20-foot line that is 5 feet wide. Each creature in that line must make a DC 13 Dexterity saving throw, taking 18 (4d8) acid damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one.
Slowing Breath. The monitor drake exhales gas in a 15-foot cone. Each creature in that area must succeed on a DC 13 Constitution saving throw. On a failed save, the creature can't use reactions, its speed is halved, and it can't make more than one attack on its turn. In addition, the creature can use either an action or a bonus action on its turn, but not both. These effects last for 1 minute. The creature can repeat the saving throw at the end of each of its turns, ending the effect on itself with a successful save.

A word of note: Volo's Guide wasn't even announced yet. I had no idea it would have Guard Drakes.

ThurlRavenscrof
2017-05-08, 01:01 PM
I once had my party run into a Huge Half-Dragon Hydra, I had considered giving each head it's own breath recharge, but decided that would be a bit much.

This is an awesome idea.

GlenSmash!
2017-05-08, 03:45 PM
I once had my party run into a Huge Half-Dragon Hydra, I had considered giving each head it's own breath recharge, but decided that would be a bit too much.

Wow. Tiamat eat your heart out.

MrStabby
2017-05-08, 03:58 PM
Half dragon banshee? Using the wail as the breath attack?

Half dragon quipper swarm? Because pondering the sex lives of dragons wasn't disturbing enough already?

Half dragon centaur - still some confusion about what that would be...

lunaticfringe
2017-05-08, 04:21 PM
Half Dragon Loathsome Limb Troll Freak

Pr6i6e6st
2017-05-08, 04:55 PM
Half dragon banshee? Using the wail as the breath attack?

Half dragon quipper swarm? Because pondering the sex lives of dragons wasn't disturbing enough already?

Half dragon centaur - still some confusion about what that would be...
I kind of feel a banshee is impossible. It's undead no? Unless maybe a half dragon elf became one?
Half dragon centaur? You know what centaurs are known for doing in mythology don't you? I'm scared how this would work lol.

Half Dragon Loathsome Limb Troll Freak
Oh god, because neither enemy was frustrating enough lol.

Cool ideas guys

Sredni Vashtar
2017-05-08, 07:20 PM
The main villain in an adventure I'm writing is a half-Green Medusa. I've included a petrification effect on the breath weapon.

lunaticfringe
2017-05-08, 07:47 PM
The main villain in an adventure I'm writing is a half-Green Medusa. I've included a petrification effect on the breath weapon.

That's mean, I love it.

An old Lieutenant of my BBEG was a Medusa who was blinded by a Paladin. She had mystical beholderkin eye transplant, could shoot petrification lasers from her eyes. I like weird medusas.

Mortis_Elrod
2017-05-08, 07:56 PM
That's mean, I love it.

An old Lieutenant of my BBEG was a Medusa who was blinded by a Paladin. She had mystical beholderkin eye transplant, could shoot petrification lasers from her eyes. I like weird medusas.

was she trying to acquire beauty?

MasterMercury
2017-05-08, 08:18 PM

Haha, puns.

Half-dragon dyrad, giant tree dragon, breath weapon is piercing damage.

Solar angel/dragon: when the party knows they're ******

Dragon/mermaid: how, you may ask? Who knows?

Dragon/dragon turtle: Imagine the dragonturtle. Add wings, and despair.

Dragon/sphinx: the riddle is how it happened.

White dragon/ Yeti. The abominable snowman

lunaticfringe
2017-05-08, 09:17 PM

Haha no, a bit too on the nose. She was a Nihilist though.

Back to the topic at hand. Skimmed through my MM & Kobold's Tome of Beasts and I really like the idea of a Half Dragon Vapor Lynx.

Mortis_Elrod
2017-05-08, 09:46 PM
Half Shadow Red Dragon Half Drow.....were bear

Edit: NO. Half Shadow Red Dragon Drider....with spellcasting for both variants.

CaptainSarathai
2017-05-15, 03:47 PM
I have some Half Dragon Orcs (Orogs) in my current campaign. Strange because Orcs venerate a Forge God (who is not the same one the party is looking for - or is he?) and dragons are thought to only be a myth.

The party knew it was gonna be a bad time when the Paladin tried to ride down one of these monsters with a lance. Got him dead-center of the chest and ran it through, except the lance just shattered to splinters all the way up, and the Pally felt his armored fist hit the Orog's chest.
The party (all adventuring knights) has also discovered to their horror, that Half Dragon Orogs have a taste for horse-meat.

It's hilarious, these things come down from the mountains and the party just "Nopes" it right out of the area. They're at an equivalent CR now, but they're still scared pantsless of these abominations.