PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Optimizing Tempest Cleric

HermanTheWize
2017-05-07, 06:49 PM
There character is already made; but this is mostly for what feats/asi I should take at level 4.

Details:
I'm pretty much the tank(there is a monk that fights beside me) - IE why I am Hill Dwarf(+1 HP) and 16 Con
I keep bless up
I defiantly want to have some strong spells ready to burst if needed
Shield and Warhammer + Heavy Armor

Party:

Tempest Cleric(Me)
Lore Wizard(CC Heavy and burst when needed)
Elemental Monk
Unknown(Last player is joining next week.

Stats/Race:

Hill Dwarf(30 Point Buy):
Str 14
Dex 14
Con 16
Int 8
Wis 16
Cha 8

Options for level 4 I was thinking:

+2 Con
Warcaster
Magic Initiate: Shillelagh + Level 1 Druid Spell
Lucky

Galadhrim
2017-05-07, 07:44 PM
I think you need something to help keep your concentration up if you are going to be the tank. Losing bless and later spirit gaurdians is painful. Are your stats already set in stone? If yes, I would take war caster. You benefit from all 3 parts. Casting a spell as an opportunity attack makes you a much more effective tank and advantage helps you keep concentration. War caster plus holy symbol on shield means you can support the party with any spell you need at any time.

Belltent
2017-05-07, 08:14 PM

Fight the power :smallfurious:

Warcaster+Spirit Guardians will make you a fine tank

Clerics don't rock too much bursty spell damage. Maintaining concentration should be your biggest priority.

bid
2017-05-07, 08:38 PM

+2 Con
Warcaster
Lucky
Con: you already have... 6+3+1 = 10 hp per level, 10% more isn't that important unless you get hit too often.

Warcaster: as a tank, you might get OA but you don't have any useful damage spell to cast. Any spell with material is already covered by your holy symbol on shield. So it comes down to how often you roll for concentration.

Shillelagh: I assume you don't intend to improve your Str. This will give warcaster more value, as you can't stow your weapon without losing shillelagh.

Lucky: it's a "warcaster" that covers 3 failures, and you can do better if losing a 1st slot isn't important.

So, lucky if a few concentration saves are necessary. Magic initiate otherwise.

HermanTheWize
2017-05-08, 08:09 AM
Warcaster might be the way to go.

I'm going to be on the front line every fight with at least bless up.

Galadhrim
2017-05-08, 01:25 PM
Details:
I'm pretty much the tank(there is a monk that fights beside me) - IE why I am Hill Dwarf(+1 HP) and 16 Con
I keep bless up

Party:

Tempest Cleric(Me)
Elemental Monk
Unknown(

I just wanted to add, you have built in strong spells for burst if needed. Maximized thunder wave, shatter, or call lightning depending on the situation all pack a punch. I typically used shatter for aoe. in a 3rd level slot it is as good as fireball and less resisted. It has a smaller aoe but that is sometimes a benefit.

Specter
2017-05-08, 01:31 PM
There character is already made; but this is mostly for what feats/asi I should take at level 4.

Details:
I keep bless up

Party:

Tempest Cleric(Me)
Elemental Monk
Unknown(Last player is joining next week.

Stats/Race:

Hill Dwarf(30 Point Buy):
Str 14
Dex 14
Con 16
Int 8
Wis 16
Cha 8

+2 Con
Warcaster
Lucky

If you're keeping concentration, I would suggest Resilient (CON) over Warcaster, simply because it also lets you endure other effects that depend on CON (like cold and necromancy). It would also allow you to start with 15CON.

You definitely don't need both STR and DEX. Either go full plate with STR15 or settle for medium armor with STR8-10. If you're going for Shillelagh, I'd recommend DEX14 for the best of medium armor and then just pumping WIS.

If you can, grab Booming Blade somehow. It will eventually let you deal more damage with a single attack than you could with two.

And don't be afraid to grab a Fighter dip for +1AC and bonus healing either. 2 for Action Surge? Even better.