PDA

View Full Version : Optimization How can I optimize a Lore Bard?

Klorox
2017-05-07, 08:48 PM
I want to play a versatile character who can do a lot of the talking for the party and be good at a lot of skills.

I don't want him to get involved with combat much, other than some vicious mockeries and occasionally using a missile weapon, if the cantrip won't work.

I am not against some multiclass dips to make the character better in combat (or at least improve his defense). I do like how bards are full casters and don't want to lose too many levels there.

TIA!

Naanomi
2017-05-07, 08:51 PM
I prefer a pretty basic 'base' of a Half-Elf Lorebard; with 27 point buy you can get stats at 10/14/14/12/12/16; be reasonable in combat and at least passable at all skills (proficient in .

If you want to get trickier with multiclasses, there is a lot to be said for a one level Knowledge Cleric dip in my opinion. Two levels of Warlock also has a lot of potential to increase at-will damage. Bard is pretty forgiving about giving up a few spell-levels (since they are still valuable skill-monkeys) so there are several other options to explore as well if you want to.

kulosle
2017-05-07, 09:02 PM
I'm playing a lore bard right now that is focused on support and skills. I am currently bard 4, warlock 3 tome/fey and having access to all rituals is very useful. Hint start buying scrolls a head of time.

Belltent
2017-05-07, 09:17 PM
I want to play a versatile character who can do a lot of the talking for the party and be good at a lot of skills.

I don't want him to get involved with combat much, other than some vicious mockeries and occasionally using a missile weapon, if the cantrip won't work.

I am not against some multiclass dips to make the character better in combat (or at least improve his defense). I do like how bards are full casters and don't want to lose too many levels there.

TIA!

You're in luck! Lore Bard pretty much does this naturally. 6 skills, 2 with expertise, plus any you get from race and background, by level 3. Jack of All Trades makes sure that even your non-proficient skills are always rolling with at least some bonus. A 1 level dip in rogue will get you another skill plus more expertise. A 1 level dip in Knowledge Cleric will get you 2 skills with expertise (at the cost of a paltry 13 WIS prereq.)

Your parameter is vague enough that it's basically impossible to get wrong as a Lore Bard. My vote would be half elf: good attributes plus 2 extra skills.