PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Questions about Bomb Ninja, PF

kuhaica
2017-05-07, 09:21 PM
So. I have a player who's playing a PF Ninja with the Bomb Vairent, now I perffer to give my players the benifit of the doubt. However sometimes there is just some things which don't add up.

Now, the questions I have are primarily about Bomb Trick. Or something along those lines which allows the Ninja to change/infuse (Not sure) what bombs they use.

As well as that, it allows them to use any bomb? When I first looked over the class it appears the Ninja needs to choose what bombs they want to have.

Then it allows them to change the spread of the bomb? From a standard radius to a line.

Basically. I can find very little about the class. And any help understanding it would be wonderful. I believe I understand how the spread damage works and I can see how the player was able to do large sums of damage. But I've seen them use many different kinds of bombs all thanks to some sort of ability. Hence my uneasiness.

Character is Lvl 5 Halfling, and any help is appreciated

Psyren
2017-05-07, 09:24 PM
Can you link to it? What book is it in?

kuhaica
2017-05-07, 09:42 PM
Can you link to it? What book is it in?

No idea which book it's from, but I do have the link (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/alternate-classes/ninja/archetypes/rogue-genius-games-ninja-archetypes/rappa/) to where it was found.

icefractal
2017-05-07, 09:56 PM
That archetype just gives you bombs in the same way that the Alchemist has. A single trick would only get you a single type of bomb, but you can spend multiple tricks on that and have multiple kinds.

Or maybe the PC is using Forgotten Trick to situationally gain the others. That costs more ki, but it could still be done several times in a day.

Making the blast into a line would be the Strafe Bomb discovery, most likely.

kuhaica
2017-05-07, 10:02 PM
So. It is feasible? And not a miss reading of the rules?

Psyren
2017-05-07, 10:07 PM
Okay - this archetype appears to be third party, and the book it comes from is "Power of the Ninja" by Rogue Genius Games. So first you should determine if 3rd-party stuff is allowed in your campaign, or if your player chose something (unwittingly or deliberately) for their character that you would not consider legal.

Assuming you're okay with this archetype - what it does is that it replaces your player's ninja sneak attack with the "Bomb" ability from the Alchemist class, and allows them to take alchemist bomb discoveries as ninja tricks. One such discovery is Strafe Bomb (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/alchemist/discoveries/paizo-alchemist-discoveries/strafe-bomb-su/), which would let your player's bomb explode in a line instead of a burst as you describe. This discovery has "bomb" in the title, making it a legal choice for your player's character, so you should get a copy of your player's character sheet and make sure they did so (as well as noting all the ninja tricks/discoveries they've selected.)

In general though, your player doesn't need to make these kinds of choices about their bombs in advance - as long as they have the necessary ability (e.g. Strafe Bomb or Smoke Bomb) they can choose which one(s) to apply every time they throw.

Basically - read the Alchemist entry (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/alchemist/) to understand how bombs work in general, then look at your player's sheet to determine what specific modifications they have available via their discoveries and ninja tricks.

Starbuck_II
2017-05-07, 10:10 PM
So. I have a player who's playing a PF Ninja with the Bomb Vairent, now I perffer to give my players the benifit of the doubt. However sometimes there is just some things which don't add up.

Now, the questions I have are primarily about Bomb Trick. Or something along those lines which allows the Ninja to change/infuse (Not sure) what bombs they use.

As well as that, it allows them to use any bomb? When I first looked over the class it appears the Ninja needs to choose what bombs they want to have.

Then it allows them to change the spread of the bomb? From a standard radius to a line.

Basically. I can find very little about the class. And any help understanding it would be wonderful. I believe I understand how the spread damage works and I can see how the player was able to do large sums of damage. But I've seen them use many different kinds of bombs all thanks to some sort of ability. Hence my uneasiness.

Character is Lvl 5 Halfling, and any help is appreciated

Starting out their only use standard alchemist bomb.
Instead of discoveries, you use Ninja talents to improve your bombs.

If you spend your ninja talents on blinding bomb, choking bomb, and poison bomb ninja tricks: you can apply their effects to his alchemical bombs.

Basically, it lets you mix and match Alchemist and Ninja bombs.

What text allows a line?

kuhaica
2017-05-07, 10:10 PM
Alright. Thanks for the Info I'll check out the Alchemist, and I'm ok with 3rd party material so long as it's not broken. However with this I was just confused as there was little information

Psyren
2017-05-07, 10:13 PM
What text allows a line?

Strafe Bomb discovery - has "bomb" in the name, so his ninja can take it as a ninja trick and throw bombs that explode in a line.