PDA

View Full Version : Help wanted: God of Luck

Dr.Vino
2017-05-07, 10:11 PM
I dm a Homebrew world I've created, and I have created God's for it but they've just been names so far. I've wanted to introduce one in particular on the material plane, and since I spend so much time creating descriptions I feel a little spent at the moment and am looking for some inspiration or even some ideas some of you might have to help me out describing Vanir the god of Luck.

JNAProductions
2017-05-07, 10:12 PM
Well, if he's anything like Ecaflip, he's a dang good dad, if a bit tough love sometimes.

Do you have any details? At all? That we can build off of?

Dr.Vino
2017-05-07, 10:42 PM
Well, if he's anything like Ecaflip, he's a dang good dad, if a bit tough love sometimes.

Do you have any details? At all? That we can build off of?

Lol I had to look up Ecaflip.

I was figuring he'd appear as 2-3 different personas, but the one he'd first appear as is a sharp featured human, rough shaven, sly smile, enjoys gambling and performing coin tricks.... But then I feel this is very cliche, which isn't necessarily bad but it can be a bit bland....

He likes to wager, not just with coin but with people's lives. He's incredibly neutral, very apathetic and egotistical.

JNAProductions
2017-05-07, 10:44 PM
Well there you go. That's a good start right there.

Another possible persona is a very eager one-perhaps the form of a bright, bubbly young woman, who eggs people on to ever greater risks and grander rewards.

Naanomi
2017-05-07, 11:05 PM
My homebrew setting's Goddess of Luck is one of a pair of Gods that determine 'Fate' that work against eachother (but are not antagonistic necessarily)... a very Lawful Goddess of 'Destiny' whose church is all about reading signs, omens, and portents to make sure things happen the 'right way'... and the Goddess of 'Screw Destiny!' whose followers are gamblers, tricksters, and general meddlers who put the 'free' in 'free will'. She has a soft spot for children (whose fate is largely unwritten) and fools; and favors those who refuse to plan and trust their instincts with her blessings of luck.

Sirdar
2017-05-08, 04:14 AM
One persona could be like Gladstone Gander. A lazy hedonist that just assumes everything will work out for the best without personal effort.

For the God persona, this is also true! The God is unbelievable lucky, but his/her cult is full of people that think their destiny is great rewards for nothing. They will walk around i rags since they never work for their living. Still, they are so blinded by the small amount of luck they have that is means everything to them when they find a copper on the ground. They will talk about it for days, how they are blessed by their god - who of course do absolutely nothing for them.

GorogIrongut
2017-05-08, 05:10 AM
Avoid all the cliche's and make your God of Luck similar to Inspector Gadget. In the sense that he has no clue what's going on 95% of the time but things seem to happen that help him (replace Penny and the Dog with a lesser Demigod called Serendipity) achieve all of ultimate goals. Make him likeable and totally clueless. Have him flip a coin before his every decision and have Serendipity use little gusts of wind to control the results of the coin toss. Make him larger than life.

And if anyone gets close enough to realize, the God of Luck is actually masquerading as Serendipity and using his deluded 'replacement' as a foil.

Dr.Vino
2017-05-08, 07:54 AM
Oh, I happen to like alot of these ideas! Keep em coming!