PDA

View Full Version : [M&M] Which book to get for a P&P club?

LokiRagnarok
2017-05-08, 12:43 AM
Hey! I am a member of my university's P&P club and we are looking to pick up some book(s) for Mutants and Masterminds (mostly because of the general superhero setting).

We usually do play-testing events where we run a one-shot and give out pre-made characters. However, we would also be looking to lend the book to prospective GMs. This impacts our requirements a bit:

* the book must contain a section on GMing
* the book must be understandable even if you have never played an RPG before
* ideally, the book already contains some pre-made characters, but it is not a must.
* ideally, the book contains a playable setting
* should be available as a physical copy
* anything else I might have forgotten

With these requirements in mind, what book (s) should we get?

Knaight
2017-05-08, 12:53 AM
Mutants and Masterminds has a single core book, with everything put together. Get that, going for either 2nd or 3rd edition.

LokiRagnarok
2017-05-08, 01:44 AM
Thanks. Any recommendation on which edition to get and why?

JustIgnoreMe
2017-05-08, 02:43 AM
3rd edition, because it's in the shops, still supported, generally well-received, and has a legitimate free online SRD:

http://www.d20herosrd.com/

Also have a look at Green Ronin's free download area:

http://freeronin.com/

Be warned: character generation can take a long time if you want to fiddle with every aspect of the character. There are ways around that though.

-edit to add- I know you specified a physical copy: I like having a physical copy of the book too, but an online version allows other people to read the rules when someone else has the book.

If you can find it, go for the Deluxe version of the 3rd Ed book: it has a quick-start character generator.

Dienekes
2017-05-08, 11:23 AM

2nd edition is easier for first time players, and those who want to see specific ability names in the book and on their sheet. While 3rd is free-ish and offers more complexity.

You see both are based around creating super heroes which have a wide range of abilities. 2nd does this by literally having a list of numerous special abilities that your can pick from to make your character.

3rd just says screw that and gives you a list of effects. It is on the player to take those effects to make the powers you want.

Personally, I like 3rd better. But I know a few who prefer 2nd.

Grod_The_Giant
2017-05-08, 05:06 PM
* the book must contain a section on GMing
* the book must be understandable even if you have never played an RPG before
* ideally, the book already contains some pre-made characters, but it is not a must.
* ideally, the book contains a playable setting
* should be available as a physical copy
* anything else I might have forgotten
Hmmm... the Deluxe Hero's Handbook includes
*It has 20 pages or so on DMing. Dunno how good they are, as I didn't really read them specifically, but a quick skim looks pretty decent.
*It's... well, it's the system book. It's not too bad. I learned by reading it.
*The former GM's kit quickstart character generator, which has 20 different hero archetypes and a variety of options for each. It's set up for random generation, but you can just pick the options too.
*It has two cities briefly described, and a short adventure for each.

So I'd say that?