PDA

View Full Version : Can you get lightning damage tacked on to Eldritch Blast?

SpamCreateWater
2017-05-08, 01:10 AM
As the subject says, can you get lightning damage tacked on to Eldritch Blast?

Foxhound438
2017-05-08, 01:40 AM
by RAW, no, or at least not that I'm aware of. However, if you can convince your DM to let you make a side-grade version of hex that uses lightning...

SpamCreateWater
2017-05-08, 02:06 AM
by RAW, no, or at least not that I'm aware of. However, if you can convince your DM to let you make a side-grade version of hex that uses lightning...

Bugger. Oh well, thanks for the idea!

Vaz
2017-05-08, 02:19 AM
Homebrew magic item; the Frost Brand is a melee weapon which deals an extra 1d6 as a Very Rare item; which is a +3 Magic Weapon - which is equivalent of a +3 Rod of the Pact Keeper. Asking your DM if you can get a +1d6 Lightning Damage Magic Item like a Frost Brand should be within reason if you're getting Very Rare magic items (11th plus)

rollingForInit
2017-05-08, 11:56 AM
Not by RAW, but if any of my players wanted Eldritch Blast to do Lightning damage instead of Force, I would totally allow it. As a homebrew cantrip.

Submortimer
2017-05-08, 03:45 PM
A fairly common thing I will do fora player who wants to customize a little is to permanently swap certain types of damage for others. For example, nothing the RAW allows it, but if I had a warlock who was playing a Fiendlock who wanted all of his warlock abilities (Eldritch blast, Agonizing blast, lifedrinker, etc) to deal fire damage instead of necrotic, I don't have much of an issue with that.

Tetrasodium
2017-05-08, 09:36 PM
As the subject says, can you get lightning damage tacked on to Eldritch Blast?

You wouldn't by chance be trying to use tempest cleric8's thunderbolt strike to bump the damage & add a knockback?...

Mortis_Elrod
2017-05-08, 10:02 PM
You wouldn't by chance be trying to use tempest cleric8's thunderbolt strike to bump the damage & add a knockback?...

Nah, likely with the sorcerer, storm or sea.

Whaaaa? of course not. That might be abusing a minor change to the rules that was asked for role playing reasons.... you wouldn't be suggesting that someone would take advantage of a seemingly subpar change would they?

Talionis
2017-05-14, 10:21 PM
Kiss of Mesastophles and Frost Lance invocations could easily be the basis for lightning going with EB if Unearthed Arcana is allowed.

Consensus
2017-05-14, 10:34 PM

Knock back 25ft is still pretty good w/o CHA x 2 to damage

SpamCreateWater
2017-05-15, 01:51 AM
Thanks for your comments and suggestions :smallsmile:

Homebrew magic item; the Frost Brand is a melee weapon which deals an extra 1d6 as a Very Rare item; which is a +3 Magic Weapon - which is equivalent of a +3 Rod of the Pact Keeper. Asking your DM if you can get a +1d6 Lightning Damage Magic Item like a Frost Brand should be within reason if you're getting Very Rare magic items (11th plus)
Hmm. I'll have to look further in to that. DM is pretty good with working/discussing with players what they want out of their characters... although this question is actually aimed towards a current PC...

Not by RAW, but if any of my players wanted Eldritch Blast to do Lightning damage instead of Force, I would totally allow it. As a homebrew cantrip.

A fairly common thing I will do fora player who wants to customize a little is to permanently swap certain types of damage for others. For example, nothing the RAW allows it, but if I had a warlock who was playing a Fiendlock who wanted all of his warlock abilities (Eldritch blast, Agonizing blast, lifedrinker, etc) to deal fire damage instead of necrotic, I don't have much of an issue with that.
I'm sure the DM would be down with something like these. I will have to go ahead and ask them.

No. The (ex)PC and now NPC will be making an appearance in the future and I said to the DM I'd look into teleporting spells/abilities. As part of the "upgrade" I started exploring the expansion of their lightning sub-theme (dragon heritage). They're Sorcerer/Warlock.

Whaaaa? of course not. That might be abusing a minor change to the rules that was asked for role playing reasons.... you wouldn't be suggesting that someone would take advantage of a seemingly subpar change would they?
Close on the first part of your post :smallbiggrin: Blue draconic heritage.

Kiss of Mesastophles and Frost Lance invocations could easily be the basis for lightning going with EB if Unearthed Arcana is allowed.
I will look into these things. UA is usually allowed - after the DM has had a chance to read it.

Knock back 25ft is still pretty good w/o CHA x 2 to damage
While it's not 25ft, I remember having a lot of fun with EB and the 10ft knockback invocation.

Karcharos
2017-05-15, 07:05 AM
I've often thought each warlock patron should grant the ability to change the damage type of Eldritch Blast to one or two other types. The fiend would be fire or necrotic, GOO would be cold or necrotic, etc.

PeteNutButter
2017-05-15, 07:21 AM
2 levels in Lore Master wizard (UA/overpowered) would allow you to change your hex to a different element ergo adding lightning damage to your EB.

Consensus
2017-05-15, 07:40 AM
While it's not 25ft, I remember having a lot of fun with EB and the 10ft knockback invocation.
I know the invocation is 10ft but with sea sorc you get to add 15ft to any forced movement you do (essentially) so that allows for a 25ft knockback

SpamCreateWater
2017-05-16, 12:54 AM
Thanks again for your continued interest/expertise.

I've often thought each warlock patron should grant the ability to change the damage type of Eldritch Blast to one or two other types. The fiend would be fire or necrotic, GOO would be cold or necrotic, etc.
I like this idea. I'll have to keep it in mind for games I run in the future.

2 levels in Lore Master wizard (UA/overpowered) would allow you to change your hex to a different element ergo adding lightning damage to your EB.
Lore Master has been banned.

I know the invocation is 10ft but with sea sorc you get to add 15ft to any forced movement you do (essentially) so that allows for a 25ft knockback
I assumed something of the sort; however, my comment was more on my own experience with Warlock and the pushback invocation.
That's a good distinction to know, though. I will have to keep that archetype in mind.

90sMusic
2017-05-16, 01:05 AM
Force damage is far more powerful and useful than lightning damage, so any DM worth their salt would absolutely allow you to reflavor eldritch blast if you talked to them about it since it's a minor downgrade in power for RP purposes.

But then again, some DM's can't conceive of anything that exists outside of RAW and deny everything.