PDA

View Full Version : Meta-Magic: Reach

tedcahill2
2017-05-08, 08:47 AM
The cleric in our group recently picked up the Reach meta-magic feat. He's now struggling to find a good use for it.

We're playing E6, and are at level 6, so he has 3rd level spells and lower.

Are their any spells that are worthwhile to cast using the reach meta-magic?

LTwerewolf
2017-05-08, 08:54 AM
Depends on the kind of cleric he is. If he's the type of cleric that doesn't want to be near enemies, any number of healing or buffing spells would be great.

Matrota
2017-05-08, 09:24 AM
If he's a healing and buffing based cleric it's wonderful to be able to use cure spells and touch range buffs from a distance. If you find yourself using it a lot pick up DMM (Reach).

I play a debuff cleric and typically use it for bestow curse.

tedcahill2
2017-05-08, 09:26 AM
If he's a healing and buffing based cleric it's wonderful to be able to use cure spells and touch range buffs from a distance. If you find yourself using it a lot pick up DMM (Reach).

I play a debuff cleric and typically use it for bestow curse.

Which book is divine metamagic in?

Psyren
2017-05-08, 09:27 AM
It's good for bad touch clerics too.

OP, are you playing 3.5 or Pathfinder? They are slightly different - in 3.5, the touch spell becomes a 30ft. ray (i.e. still requires an attack roll) while in PF it becomes Close range, automatically hitting (but no longer capable of critting) and can be "heightened" further for longer ranges.

AnimusBane
2017-05-08, 09:33 AM
Divine meta magic on his reach metamagic so he can spend turn/rebuke in place of actually altering the spell level of the spell.

Matrota
2017-05-08, 09:33 AM
Which book is divine metamagic in?

Complete Divine

Grod_The_Giant
2017-05-08, 10:11 AM
I'm seconding the "get Divine Metamagic" bit, because I'm blanking on 1st level Cleric spells worth casting out of a 3rd level slot just to get a bit of reach.

ATHATH
2017-05-08, 10:55 AM
If he can't find a use for the feat, why did he pick it?

Anthrowhale
2017-05-08, 11:54 AM
I generally regard Ocular Spell as better than Reach. You get more range, (mostly) more scope, and it lets you alpha strike twice as hard.

Easy Metamagic makes it only +1 so a second level save-or-lose spell like Rigor Mortis becomes available.

Inevitability
2017-05-08, 12:31 PM
If you end up getting metamagic cost reduction, Shivering Touch may just be the single best thing that works with Reach Spell. It's from Frostburn.

SirNibbles
2017-05-08, 03:46 PM
I would look into him getting a Lens of Ray Chaining or a Lens of Ray Widening (Lords of Madness, page 45-46). The former costs 1,222 gp per cast, the latter 3,555 gp.

In a pinch, he'd be able to target a large number of people with his spells.

A Reached and Widened Lesser Shivering Touch would deal 1d6 Dex damage in a 30 foot cone (Reflex negates) with a 3rd level spell slot- quite potent for an E6 game.

You could also Widen a casting of Cure Light Wounds into a melee of your allies and enemy undead to heal them and deal damage.

Anthrowhale
2017-05-08, 07:25 PM
I would look into him getting a Lens of Ray Chaining or a Lens of Ray Widening (Lords of Madness, page 45-46). The former costs 1,222 gp per cast, the latter 3,555 gp.

In a pinch, he'd be able to target a large number of people with his spells.

A Reached and Widened Lesser Shivering Touch would deal 1d6 Dex damage in a 30 foot cone (Reflex negates) with a 3rd level spell slot- quite potent for an E6 game.

You could also Widen a casting of Cure Light Wounds into a melee of your allies and enemy undead to heal them and deal damage.

These are very nice effects, but they are caster level 15 items, so essentially artifacts in an E6 game?

Inevitability
2017-05-15, 02:30 AM
These are very nice effects, but they are caster level 15 items, so essentially artifacts in an E6 game?

Ask your DM for a quest to find them. Visiting the lair of an ancient dragon would perhaps work.

weckar
2017-05-15, 05:17 AM
I like combining Reach Spell with Ray Coning. Makes for a good way to simulate the Cure Mass spells, for one thing.

SirNibbles
2017-05-15, 05:22 AM
Those items are explicitly for Beholders.

"A spellcaster can use a lens of ray chaining as an additional focus component to chain a ray spell as long as he holds the lens in one hand." - Lords of Madness, page 46