PDA

View Full Version : Arcana Cleric help!!!!!

DizzyWood
2017-05-08, 09:20 AM
Ok this might seem like no big deal to some of you guys but I need my character ready for our next campaign TONIGHT. RIGHT AFTER WORK!!! (Not next Monday like I thought!!!!!) It take normally take me hours to make sure I have all my AC, and skills, and motivations and what not right. I can whip up a great concept just fine but the fiddly bits the I put on the character sheet TAKES me for ever. iIsecond guess myself and misread stuff, so there is no way I can run home get my books and get to the game tonight with an actual function character without you help

So here is what I need from you all please help me fill out my character sheet, spells to pick, tweak my idea ect. Cause if I do not have something down tonight I will be killed by my fellow players and that will make you sad-ish.

So I want to play a V. human Arcane cleric, Neutral Good, lvl 5, point buy, Magic Initiate (Druid), total prude (if that matters), no MC all official books permitted, no UA DMSGuild or homebrew. Her whole thing is that she was raised by a druid parents but failed to pass her initiation test so she left to explore the world and find her own way. She see Acrana Cleric as mastering both wizard and clerical magic, she has a high INT as well as WIS, because she will be investigating other sources of power relentlessly.

The DM will let me replace on of my Domain spells with Find Familiar so that is a fun MUST. I will probably take so I can dump strength. That is all I have so please HELP. I will send you pictures of my french bulldog in a Batman mask!

EDIT: It looks like I got a great answer but I would be willing/glad to hear other opinions if anyone is interested

lunaticfringe
2017-05-08, 09:42 AM
So you wanna Staff/Blade Cantrip fight or Cantrip Snipe/Support? I like Nature a bit more for Staff-Bladers, you still grab MI but Wizard : GFB, BB, Find Familiar. The bonus is you have access to Heavy Armor for melee range.

DizzyWood
2017-05-08, 09:50 AM
So you wanna Staff/Blade Cantrip fight or Cantrip Snipe/Support? I like Nature a bit more for Staff-Bladers, you still grab MI but Wizard : GFB, BB, Find Familiar. The bonus is you have access to Heavy Armor for melee range.

Well I get FF on my Domain List thanks to my DM. MT Druid keeps with the theme of her growing up among druids and learning a little bit about all sorts of powers/sources of POWER!!! Shillelagh means I can dump strength and still do ok in most melee.

lunaticfringe
2017-05-08, 10:55 AM
Wizard Cantrips from Arcana: Shocking Grasp; Fire Bolt or Ray of Frost or Chill Touch

Magic Initiate (Wizard): Mage Hand, Prestidigitation, Shield

Spellsniper at some point grab Thornwhip

Stay out of melee whenever possible. Just my advice

DizzyWood
2017-05-08, 12:07 PM
Like I said I am gonna go MI Druid for goodberry and Shillelagh. It fits the concept, This is more of and RP build then an optimized build. I am really looking more for what I should set my stats to, what skills to take, and equipment choice. Still thanks for the advice.

Corran
2017-05-08, 12:08 PM
Character level: 5
Class: Cleric (arcana domain)
Race: Human (variant)
Starting feat: Magic initiate (druid)
ASI at 4th level: resilient CON
Stats: STR 8, DEX 14, CON 13+1=14, INT 13+1=14, WIS 15+1=16, CHA 10
Skills [ 2 from class, 2 from background (custom/ pick skills of your choice), arcana picked from arcane domain ]:
Arcana[+5], Religion[+5], Nature[+5] (or animal handling[+6]), Investigation[+5], Perception[+6], Perusasion[+3] (or insight[+6], or intimidation[+3], or deception[+3]; pick the one that goes best with your character's personality; insight plays better with your stats, but persuasion is my personal preference)
ps: Feel free to change skills around to better match the character you have in mind (as you will have a much more clear idea about her than me (obviously that goes for everything else too).
passive perception: 16
Initiative: +2
Saves: STR -1, DEX +2, CON +5, INT +2, WIS +6, CHA +3
Hit points: 38
AC: 18 (scale mail + dex mod + shield; upgrade to breastplate whenever possible to avoid disadvantage on stealth checks, or to a halfplate for an AC of 19)
Concentration: +5

That's all I can say for now. There are a lot missing, such as spells. I think concentrating on spirit guardians and having spiritual weapon and sacred flame to fall back into are good enough. Perhaps even shillelagh (since you are getting druid initiate anyway, when you want to hit stuff with a quarterstaff, though be mindful of the opportunity cost).

rooneg
2017-05-08, 12:49 PM
Stats: STR 8, DEX 14, CON 13+1=14, INT 13+1=14, WIS 15+1=16, CHA 10

Variant human adds +1 to two scores, not three.

nickl_2000
2017-05-08, 12:54 PM
Variant human adds +1 to two scores, not three.

The Resilient Constitution feat gives +1 to constitution and prof in constitution saving throws.

DizzyWood
2017-05-08, 12:57 PM
That's all I can say for now. There are a lot missing, such as spells. I think concentrating on spirit guardians and having spiritual weapon and sacred flame to fall back into are good enough. Perhaps even shillelagh (since you are getting druid initiate anyway, when you want to hit stuff with a quarterstaff, though be mindful of the opportunity cost).

I doubt that I will need to be in melee too much. We have a shadow monk, some species of a barbarian, and an assassin, plus me and another player the is debating between bard and sorcerer. So I should be able to avoid getting punched in the face too much. Thanks SOOOOO much for this I know it is simple for some people but for me it takes HOURS to come up with this.

DizzyWood
2017-05-08, 12:59 PM
The Resilient Constitution feat gives +1 to constitution and prof in constitution saving throws.

Thanks I couldn't remember how that worked since I am AFB ATM. That could be really good :smallsmile: .

rooneg
2017-05-08, 01:04 PM

Oops, missed that one, I only noticed the Magic Initiate Feat.

Galadhrim
2017-05-08, 01:44 PM
I doubt that I will need to be in melee too much. We have a shadow monk, some species of a barbarian, and an assassin, plus me and another player the is debating between bard and sorcerer. So I should be able to avoid getting punched in the face too much. Thanks SOOOOO much for this I know it is simple for some people but for me it takes HOURS to come up with this.

You get two wizard cantrips with arcana domain right? Given the above build you are set up perfectly to take booming blade as one of them. Good ac and hp and a strong attack role with shilaliegh. At level 8 it will be adding twice you wisdom mod To each swing. Pretty respectable melee damage from a cleric.

Of course if you never plan to go in to melee it wouldn't be that useful but usually people that want to stay out of melee tend to find that impossible in many encounters. At least I our games.

DizzyWood
2017-05-08, 01:51 PM
You get two wizard cantrips with arcana domain right? Given the above build you are set up perfectly to take booming blade as one of them. Good ac and hp and a strong attack role with shilaliegh. At level 8 it will be adding twice you wisdom mod To each swing. Pretty respectable melee damage from a cleric.

Of course if you never plan to go in to melee it wouldn't be that useful but usually people that want to stay out of melee tend to find that impossible in many encounters. At least I our games.

Ohh I am sure some bad guy will refuse to respect my personal space. This is the same DM who added the Alien face huggers to the game cause he know they freak me out IRL. I am sure he will force me into a punch punch stab stab situation at least once a session if he knows that is what I am trying to avoid. :smalleek: So ya booming blade would bee a good one!

Galadhrim
2017-05-08, 02:31 PM
Ohh I am sure some bad guy will refuse to respect my personal space. This is the same DM who added the Alien face huggers to the game cause he know they freak me out IRL. I am sure he will force me into a punch punch stab stab situation at least once a session if he knows that is what I am trying to avoid. :smalleek: So ya booming blade would bee a good one!

Great. Now you're set up perfectly for pure wisdom build moving forward. You can add wisdom or feats as you deem necessary. What are you taking for your other arcana cantrip? Personally I would take minor illusion. That gives your character a very wizard like feel with find familiar as a ritual, magic missile on your spell list, and minor illusion as a cantrip. Plus, what's more fun than minor illusion + thaumaturgy for extra shenanigans in role play?! I want to play this character now.

DizzyWood
2017-05-08, 02:56 PM
Great. Now you're set up perfectly for pure wisdom build moving forward. You can add wisdom or feats as you deem necessary. What are you taking for your other arcana cantrip? Personally I would take minor illusion. That gives your character a very wizard like feel with find familiar as a ritual, magic missile on your spell list, and minor illusion as a cantrip. Plus, what's more fun than minor illusion + thaumaturgy for extra shenanigans in role play?! I want to play this character now.

DO IT!!!! Kick a$$ take names!

DizzyWood
2017-05-15, 08:07 AM
So we had our session 0 and it went well. I still have time to tweak numbers and change my background but everyone likes my idea! Thanks for the help.