PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Stupid Wizard Tricks

Segev
2017-05-08, 09:50 AM
The other day, I was contemplating a D&D wizard in a fictional scene and envisioned him gesturing to close and lock a door with a spell. Now, ignoring that he obviously needs Silent Spell to do that with just a gesture, that immediately got me thinking on how he could do that, which led to open/close and arcane lock. Okay, he could have used hold portal, but these thoughts flashed through my head very rapidly.

And that's when I stopped and said to myself, "Would he really even have both of those prepared, let alone waste an arcane lock on a momentary bit of convenience to seal a door for privacy?" The answer to the second one might be "yes," but the first is a harder one to countenance. Sure, they're useful spells, but they're highly situational. Like all situational spells, they're things you want when the situation arises, but even wizards aren't usually so prescient as to predict precise situations that finely.

But we still expect wizards to be able to do stuff like this. (Sorcerers, too, but wizards have the breadth to be "expected" and the harder time keeping all their tricks in line.) The answer came to me as something I've used, myself, though not as much as I should, and which gets mentioned for combat use but rarely for utility (aside from overland flight). Long-duration or permanent-duration spells that the wizard can draw on the effects of long after casting them.

For instance, the hypothetical wizard who wants to close and lock an entryway might try minor creation for the door and hold portal to seal it, or he might go straight for a wall of force if he's got one handy. But that's a lot of magical resource expenditure for this incidental trick.

But if he carried a door in his pocket thanks to shrink item (cast days ago, potentially, even if not made permanent), and had it previously enchanted with arcane lock, he could simply toss it to the ground where he wants it and order its lock to be active. If it's not permanent, he'd need to cast shrink item again to pick it back up, but that can be done more or less at his leisure when he's got time.

At higher level, unseen servant lasts all day, practically, too. And it's actually quite good for the "mysterious wizard" vibe when things can be made to just float about at your will, levers thrown, buttons pushed, etc. They can even go where you can't normally reach (or at least, not without using other, higher-level spells), like across a pond or the other side of some bars. At 12th level or higher, if you have Extend Spell, you can even just leave a 2nd level slot open and, if you don't need it for anything more pressing during the day, prep and cast unseen servant before you go to bed. It'll last all through the next day.

The trouble with unseen servants is that they disallow you from moving more than your base movement rate. It's questionable whether you can even double move, let alone run or use something fancy like a mount or fly. They also can't fly on their own. Now, arguably, they can ride your horse or wagon with you, but if you get knocked around or carried somewhere rapidly, they might just wink out. Keeping them in a Bag of Holding, Handy Haversack, or Portable Hole might work out, however. They climb out when you order them to and otherwise stay with you just fine.

I mentioned overland flight; that's just a fairly typical mid-to-high-level breakfast spell. By 5th level, if you have the feat investment to get Craft Construct, you could consider a suit of animated clothes (animated object) with the Flight power. You're likely just barely within their maximum weight, and they're not great fliers, but they do help in a pinch.

And, of course, magic items that cast a commonly-used first level spell at a command can be extremely useful at 1800 gp market value (900 gp to craft). Heck, unseen servant off of one of those lets you spam them. Who cares if you lose one, then?

What other ideas for long-duration spells that give the wizard control over a thing or situation do people see? Especially overlooked ones. I mean, dominate person has its obvious benefits. I know I, even trying to remember to use it well, often have trouble finding cool things to shrink item each day as a wizard in order to build up my supply of useful things to pull out. (Ideas for that would also be welcome.) But are there other ways to pull of "Mysterious and Mighty Wizard" appearance without having to have niche spells prepared and wasted on one-off tricks?

The_Jette
2017-05-08, 09:57 AM
Prestidigitation... There's a reason it's a stable in every Wizards arsenal. Need to close a door? Minor telekinesis. Same thing for locking it. I'm not positive, but it's possible you can use the same trick for levitating a pen and using it to write with instead of getting wrist cramps. If not, and you're just trying to be mysterious and fancy, it's not like anyone is going to read what your floating pen is "writing" anyways. And, if they do, you're writing in a secret code that only you understand. Plus, as you hobble along the floor in front of you cleans itself, as if ashamed to be so dirty in front of your magnificence.

Segev
2017-05-08, 10:23 AM
Prestidigitation... There's a reason it's a stable in every Wizards arsenal. Need to close a door? Minor telekinesis. Same thing for locking it. I'm not positive, but it's possible you can use the same trick for levitating a pen and using it to write with instead of getting wrist cramps. If not, and you're just trying to be mysterious and fancy, it's not like anyone is going to read what your floating pen is "writing" anyways. And, if they do, you're writing in a secret code that only you understand. Plus, as you hobble along the floor in front of you cleans itself, as if ashamed to be so dirty in front of your magnificence.

I don't think you can reliably close and open doors. MAYBE lock them by activating the lock mechanism if it's not one that requires a key from your side. Remember that open/close is a cantrip in its own right, so prestidigitation can't replicate it. And knock is a 2nd level spell.

Certainly, you can use prestidigitation to slowly pull a pen to you. But even 5 lbs. of TK starts to step on mage hand's toes. ...er, fingers?

It's STILL a spectacular spell, though! Cleaning yourself and others off, coloring your garments for best matching, flavoring food, heating your tea... You might even get away with resting a teacup in the air, as long as you don't try to make it move around without picking it up properly.

Inevitability
2017-05-08, 11:26 AM
Unseen Crafter is a 2nd-level spell that gives an improved version of an unseen servant for days/level. Have one or two follow you around to perform minor tasks.

The_Jette
2017-05-08, 11:42 AM
I don't think you can reliably close and open doors. MAYBE lock them by activating the lock mechanism if it's not one that requires a key from your side. Remember that open/close is a cantrip in its own right, so prestidigitation can't replicate it. And knock is a 2nd level spell.

Certainly, you can use prestidigitation to slowly pull a pen to you. But even 5 lbs. of TK starts to step on mage hand's toes. ...er, fingers?

It's STILL a spectacular spell, though! Cleaning yourself and others off, coloring your garments for best matching, flavoring food, heating your tea... You might even get away with resting a teacup in the air, as long as you don't try to make it move around without picking it up properly.

The thing about using Prestidigitation to close a door is that it wouldn't be automatic. It would take a couple of rounds as the door slowly closed from the pressure exerted on it. It isn't as good as Open/Close because that spell works in a standard action, where Prest would (bare minimum) require a full round. And, writing quills definitely don't weigh anywhere close to 5lbs. Not sure how much weight requirement there would be for writing, though. Personally, I would allow it in a game, and I'm usually pretty strict in what I allow in my games. As a long lasting spell that has multiple interesting uses, nothing else in 3.5 comes close to Prest, imo.

EldritchWeaver
2017-05-08, 12:12 PM
Stuff

Overall the basic problem is that a Vancian caster has limited number of spell slots. Only in Pathfinder the cantrips became at-will, which make them more suitable for wasteful situations. After all, you only spend time using cantrips, which is going to be used up anyway. Solving your issue requires to change the magic system. I don't know a system which fits your situation perfectly, but Spheres of Power is at least near your solution. Many talents are at-will and scale with caster level. Telekinesis can actually do a lot, if you upgrade the basic ability. Remote skill usage and overland flight are both in the skill tree. Hardening/opening locks similar to the core spells is placed in a different sphere and costs precious spell points, so not at-will though. (I do think that there should be some kind of at-will option for those, because I have difficulties seeing people using those talents.)

Segev
2017-05-08, 12:51 PM
Overall the basic problem is that a Vancian caster has limited number of spell slots. Only in Pathfinder the cantrips became at-will, which make them more suitable for wasteful situations. After all, you only spend time using cantrips, which is going to be used up anyway. Solving your issue requires to change the magic system. I don't know a system which fits your situation perfectly, but Spheres of Power is at least near your solution. Many talents are at-will and scale with caster level. Telekinesis can actually do a lot, if you upgrade the basic ability. Remote skill usage and overland flight are both in the skill tree. Hardening/opening locks similar to the core spells is placed in a different sphere and costs precious spell points, so not at-will though. (I do think that there should be some kind of at-will option for those, because I have difficulties seeing people using those talents.)

The point isn't to "fix" anything. It's to examine what we have and see where there are hidden gems of "constant" or "at will" powers stemming from things they can spend their slots on at breakfast or (better still) days in advance.

Certainly, Spheres of Power lets you try things like this more willy-nilly, but it suffers the Sorcerer problem of having you focused on just one or a few areas, and if you're sticking to free uses, you're really still at Cantrip level. And fewer cantrips than you can memorize as a standard wizard, at least until you get to higher level.

On the subject of limited cantrips, building a magic item of a given cantrip costs only 450 gp crafting cost, and takes less than a day. So you can expand on your cantrip list beyond those you have memorized fairly easily.

Segev
2017-05-08, 12:55 PM
Unseen Crafter is a 2nd-level spell that gives an improved version of an unseen servant for days/level. Have one or two follow you around to perform minor tasks.That's an interesting one of which I didn't know. I'll look into it, thanks!

The thing about using Prestidigitation to close a door is that it wouldn't be automatic. It would take a couple of rounds as the door slowly closed from the pressure exerted on it. It isn't as good as Open/Close because that spell works in a standard action, where Prest would (bare minimum) require a full round. And, writing quills definitely don't weigh anywhere close to 5lbs. Not sure how much weight requirement there would be for writing, though. Personally, I would allow it in a game, and I'm usually pretty strict in what I allow in my games. As a long lasting spell that has multiple interesting uses, nothing else in 3.5 comes close to Prest, imo.

Okay, that's fair.

Lazymancer
2017-05-08, 01:13 PM
And that's when I stopped and said to myself, "Would he really even have both of those prepared, let alone waste an arcane lock on a momentary bit of convenience to seal a door for privacy?"
Example is bad. You don't need to re-cast arcane lock: "You can freely pass your own arcane lock without affecting it;"

I.e. if actual arcane lock was cast some time long ago, there are no gestures necessary - it closes automatically.

What other ideas for long-duration spells that give the wizard control over a thing or situation do people see? Especially overlooked ones. I mean, dominate person has its obvious benefits. I know I, even trying to remember to use it well, often have trouble finding cool things to shrink item each day as a wizard in order to build up my supply of useful things to pull out. (Ideas for that would also be welcome.) But are there other ways to pull of "Mysterious and Mighty Wizard" appearance without having to have niche spells prepared and wasted on one-off tricks?
You forgot Uncanny Forethought and Alacritous Cogitation that allow you to cast all those niche spells, if you have them in your spellbook. Combo of Boccob's Blessed book (or two/three/four) and Tome of Ancient Lore allows wizard to scribe most of all spells within a few years at no cost. And, of course, there are scrolls for minor niche spells.

As for spells, I'm not sure what you want exactly. Underused things like Bigby's Helpful Hand or Illusory Script?

Segev
2017-05-08, 01:21 PM
Example is bad. You don't need to re-cast arcane lock: "You can freely pass your own arcane lock without affecting it;"

I.e. if actual arcane lock was cast some time long ago, there are no gestures necessary - it closes automatically.Actually, I was leaning towards that when I suggested carrying around a door afflicted with shrink item you can pull out and put in place. The notion here was to have it at hand even when you aren't in your frequented place(s).

You forgot Uncanny Forethought and Alacritous Cogitation that allow you to cast all those niche spells, if you have them in your spellbook. Combo of Boccob's Blessed book (or two/three/four) and Tome of Ancient Lore allows wizard to scribe most of all spells within a few years at no cost. And, of course, there are scrolls for minor niche spells.

As for spells, I'm not sure what you want exactly. Underused things like Bigby's Helpful Hand or Illusory Script?I'm more looking for things which might, when used by the wizard, look like he's casting magic then and there, but really are magics he spent the spell slot(s) on some time ago (even days ago) and are still responding to his will.

Arcane lock is a good example, as you said, because he doesn't need to re-cast it if he's already got it in place. Shrink item is another decent one, since it can be cast days in advance and then you pull out this item and make it where you need it. (But since I've mentioned those a bunch so far, it's clear they're a fairly limited subset of spells and I need to expand my thinking.)

Barstro
2017-05-08, 02:44 PM
I've had these thoughts too and wondered why so much love for Wizards. Sure, they can prepare for everything, but all these little things take up slots.

But if he carried a door in his pocket thanks to shrink item (cast days ago, potentially, even if not made permanent), and had it previously enchanted with arcane lock, he could simply toss it to the ground where he wants it and order its lock to be active.
I question it working like that. The wizard would have to throw that door down in a rather exact place at a rather exact angle to not wind up with a marginally obstructed passage.

EldritchWeaver is correct, your proposed situations are not well suited for Vancian. Maybe there are better way to solve your situations that simply appear to be as you suggested. Something akin to a Pathfinder Summoner with an Eidolon that wears a ring of invisibility.

ATHATH
2017-05-08, 03:50 PM
Cast Mantle of the Fiery Spirit on yourself and walk through blazing fires without taking damage.

Segev
2017-05-08, 03:50 PM
I think you're getting hung up on the reasons why the wizard would be looking for ongoing and at-will effects, and conflating them with what I'm looking for. Of course the casual expenditure of a niche 2nd (or higher) level spell for convenience is not something most wizards would do; they likely don't even have the spell prepared.

Whether he could throw the door precisely or just assume it lands as he wants is an open question. (Similarly open is whether the "window" or "door" item in a Robe of Useful Items actually puts a hole in a wall, or just fills a conveniently-perfectly-sized-hole with a barrier.) This could in theory be aided instead by handing the door to an unseen servant who places it just right and using a command word (or gesture?) to unshrink it.

Heck, if nobody's got any ideas for long-duration spells with odd utility uses, maybe just ideas for WHAT to use shrink item on might work. There are the obvious "carry your camp fire" uses, and "rocks or walls to make instant barriers." Anything else?

DrMartin
2017-05-08, 04:12 PM
3.5 clearly needs a telekinesis-based reserve feat :)

summon elemental (the reserve feat) can emulate some of the nonchalant use of magic that you are trying to display (air elementals to slam doors, fire elementals to light up candles and your fireplace, maybe water elementals to wash your floors (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rrm8usaH0sM)?)

The_Jette
2017-05-08, 04:21 PM
I think you're getting hung up on the reasons why the wizard would be looking for ongoing and at-will effects, and conflating them with what I'm looking for. Of course the casual expenditure of a niche 2nd (or higher) level spell for convenience is not something most wizards would do; they likely don't even have the spell prepared.

Whether he could throw the door precisely or just assume it lands as he wants is an open question. (Similarly open is whether the "window" or "door" item in a Robe of Useful Items actually puts a hole in a wall, or just fills a conveniently-perfectly-sized-hole with a barrier.) This could in theory be aided instead by handing the door to an unseen servant who places it just right and using a command word (or gesture?) to unshrink it.

Heck, if nobody's got any ideas for long-duration spells with odd utility uses, maybe just ideas for WHAT to use shrink item on might work. There are the obvious "carry your camp fire" uses, and "rocks or walls to make instant barriers." Anything else?

Items to cast Shrink Item on:
Loaded Crossbows (2, then wear as earings)
10' Pole (it's the toothpick you're sucking on)
Trebuchet (What wall?)
Wagons & Wheelbarrows (very good for hauling loot out once the dungeon is cleared)
Trees (if you need to clog a hallway quickly)
The Cleric's shrine that has been consecrated (useful for warding off undead)

Seriously, there are SO many good objects to shrink...