PDA

View Full Version : What is the funniest character you've ever rolled up?

Mikemical
2017-05-08, 09:58 AM
Oft times we've had characters that have made us feel proud, others we may have intentionally created them to fail. This thread is partly about the first.

I'll start sharing with one of my own. Me and a friend once rolled up a pair of kobolds. They were clutchmates, and were always hanging out together. They left the mines and went to the cities in search of shinies and met their adventuring party.

He was a fighter, I was a rogue. I put a lot of ranks in disguise. Being the rogue, I was the mind behind his muscle, and later the party's accountant. At one point, we were to go into a city where kobolds were not admitted, so in my little kobold's nut-sized brain, an idea formed.

"What if I stand on your shoulders and I wear a long robe, a big floppy hat and pretend we're a dragonborn?"

Disguise was rolled, it was a high number, we were level 7 at that point and I had maxed out Disguise. The guards didn't know better and we passed, barely any questions asked. In this city, there was a small thieves guild, mostly cutpurses and pickpockets, very disorganized rabble and hungry kids. I'm a rogue/spellthief who likes shinies, so I begin thinking "What if I get the hungry kids to steal shinies for me instead?".

And thus began the "how did the kobold become a criminal overlord" arc of our party's adventures. Of course, this was all under the mask of Daruk Stormsands, Brass Dragonborn Sorcerer. By level 9(took Leadership here), I had turned a bunch of hungry orphans into a proper thieves guild, gained favors with the local guard to keep my kids outside the prison cells, and put a lot of shinies into a pile and went Scrooge McDuck on it. I even hired an actual dragonborn sorcerer(my cohort) to serve as stand in for us when we were busy doing adventuring.

Mr.Sandman
2017-05-08, 03:39 PM
I never got to play it, but I fondly remember making and being told this character was far to silly. Don Ke Kong, translates to King (Don, like the mafia) of Apes in Orcish. An Awakened Ape druid in Eberron, awakened by those Orc druids that protect the dimensional barrier. I guess the DM just thought the name was too much.

LokiRagnarok
2017-05-08, 04:01 PM
We recently played a one shot of Ghostbusters expys in space. Going with the space theme, I rolled up an astrologist.

No, not an astronomer. A TV astrologist who could tell you your horoscope and knew a lot about stars and had Charisma to the max, but knew jack**** about anything else. Reasoned everything by whether "the stars were right" or if there was a mystical number involved. Kept having weird premonitions, bordering on paranoia.

Good times.

Cealocanth
2017-05-08, 04:14 PM
So, it's hard to say who has been my funniest. I do tend to play in some pretty humorous games, compared to your standard D&D setting. I could probably narrow it down to my top 3.

Mister Winston P. Bogeyman, a tall and upstanding heir to the long respected Bogeyman line. He was a highly respectable businessman, and an expert in illusioncraft and fearcrafting. If you or a friend are in need of a haunting service, call 555-BOGEYMAN. Sheer incomprehendible horror, or your money back, garunteed! (This was for a game that could best be described as Men in Black crossed with Shrek.)

Animus - An extremely pale artificial lifeform created by unknown aliens millions of years ago and cryogenically frozen, he possesses the uncanny ability to transform into any organism... as long as it's in his genetic database... which is about 20 million years out of date. Also possesses the uncanny ability to completely misunderstand most things that most of you humans take for granted. Also significantly lacking in understanding of human social cues, having to be taught that pointing out a character's oxytosin levels in conversation is quite rude. (Superheroes game.)

Omega - If you took the Green Lantern's ring and gave it to a typical boy in a party frat in a community college, this would be Omega. Often more concerned with catching ladies and getting wasted than fighting crime, Omega had a supreme lack of appreciation for the sheer power that his gauntlet gave him. Why the Ascendants would choose this man out of anyone to wield supreme cosmic power is a mystery not even a god could answer. (A different superhero game.)

braveheart
2017-05-08, 04:37 PM
If we are talking about strict rolling, I once had a goblin whole I rolled starting stats as 17, 16, 16, 14, 12, 4

He was a sorcerer and I proudly dumped wisdom, he proceeded to lead the party into the dumbest situations imaginable.

Faily
2017-05-08, 06:59 PM
In our long-running Mystara campaign, we're currently working on becoming Immortals (achieving God-hood basically), and one of the paths to do so requires you to do be reincarnated into new lives as different classes which you must play through in a quest with a party. Since 2 players chose that path, me and the last player basically said that we'd play their Companion-characters. So since we weren't the stars of the show, the GM gave us a little more leeway in how silly we wanted to be, because the Sidekicks are always sillier than the Protagonists!

So here comes two of them:

Scarlet, Oracle of Valerias (Heavens Mystery).
Now Valerias is all about passion, not thinking things through and following your heart instead of thinking logically. So I was basically Battle Lover Scarlet (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2sk-XfiyOc). He had a magical transformation sequence to put on his "mage armor". He attacked his opponents with rainbows and light and sunshine. His love for his companions could break them free of the clutches of evil. He is the most Magical Girl any of my characters have ever been, and it was absolutely amazing.

Vette, KITTEH CAN DO ANYTHING, Sorcerer (Raksasha Bloodline).
Catfolk. I was a kitteh in all aspects of being kitteh. Wisdom was down the drain, because kitteh doesn't need to notice what she doesn't want to notice. And kitteh can open doors, land on her feet and had 9 lives. Kitteh meant to do everything, even falling down and hurting herself, or opening things she shouldn't, or touching things she really shouldn't.

Jay R
2017-05-08, 09:12 PM
I created a D&D-like character using TOON rules.

Ragnar Rabbit, the Hanna-Barbarian.

Hagashager
2017-05-08, 10:02 PM
My absolute favorite character I've rolled was Mazirian the Magician.

He was my first Black Crusade character. He was a Tseenchian Unbound Psyker, our GM had us start up with automatic 35 Infamy, which puts us at around Warlord or Petty King status in the Infamy system. Of course I made him a manic Sorcerer King in control of his personal fiefdom on some feral world in the Eye of Terror.

The campaign began with each of our characters having been captured by some kind of heavily armored and well-trained PMC and forcing us all to work together despite most of us being from diametrically opposed ideologies of Chaos.

Normally, with casters, I tend to play either a wizened cynic, or a wise-cracking know-it-all, but in either case they're never overtly reckless. Mazirian, in keeping with the spirit of the craziness that is Black Crusade, was RP'd as being quite proud of his abilities and would not hesitate to show off his incredible arcane ability at their highest magnitude of power regardless of circumstances.

The nature of magic in the 40k universe makes any kind of reckless use of it extremely dangerous. I genuinely did not expect him to last as long as he did. And through the whole time I played him it was awesome! Apparently, the other players loved him too, even our GM, when Mazirian finally bit the dust, actually offered to let me mulligan him somehow surviving, but I decided Mazirian was flash in a pan character and his death was appropriate.

Mazirian don't give a **** who you are! Chaos Space Marine, High Demon, Imperial Grey Knight, Demon Prince. NONE WOULD BRING MAZIRIAN TO SUCH A PETTY STATE AS SUBJEGATION!

and yes, I did make a point of SCREAMING HIS LINES. on the rare occasion he saw fit to grace his simian goons (our party) with his sweet voice.

Dr_Dinosaur
2017-05-14, 08:35 PM
Haven't got to play it yet, but a Kitsune Fighter that takes Human Guise, Racial Heritage (Kobold), and Tail Terror as his first three regular feats and Magical Tail as his first several bonus feats (and 1/6 of a Tail as FCB) to get ten natural attacks by level 8. Add Focused Weapon to that to treat your tails as Warpriest weapons and go to town.

Anonymouswizard
2017-05-14, 09:46 PM
Characters tend to have silly moments, but only one character was meant to be funny.

Autocop, real name ART, was the team's robot superhero (and team speedster). To differentiate myself in the various badass offs (seriously, Presence was the most rolled stat by the end of the campaign) I took negative Preserve and specified I appeared dorky.

The result was a robot running around the city looking really dorky (not helped by the fact that I was rolling low on Presence checks anyway). Wearing a three piece suit because he had decided to watch the entirety of humanity's find in order of release date, and really liked Film Noir. Originally he wore a siren to his head, later bodies had an inbuilt siren.

Then, in the final session he looked extremely badass. While hopscotching up to a speeding can and grappling it.

Although that game had an NPC we thought was a shapeshifter. Turned out she had the mutant power of appearing completely ordinary (with a side effect of people just not noticing her real appearance when shown an image, despite the giant one on her skyscraper), so because she ran several companies she was seen as a man in a suit despite wearing a ball gown everywhere. This led to questions from 'what would happen if she walked around naked' to 'what does she look like at the beach'. She eventually managed to be seen as a woman in a suit.

aphilosoraptor
2017-05-15, 10:25 AM
One time I made a hero for a superhero game named: "DR BEEEES!"

and I insisted on doing all his lines in DRAMATIC ANNOUNCER VOICE!

his custom was black and yellow striped tights and a yellow bee hive body armor chest plate, goggles and fake antenna

He was armed with his signature weapons a bee gun (a gun that shoots bees), some bee-nades and later a composet bow called the "bee's knee's"

he was the biggest possible distraction filling op the battlefield with angry bees that would sting nondiscriminatory

so much fun

Havelocke
2017-05-15, 12:09 PM
I have made several, but my favorite character was a Werewolf from the World of Darkness series of games. The setting was odd, we were werewolf pirates who fled Europe in the early 1700's. I played a Bone Gnawer clan, and boy was he pathetic. I had lousy stats, but I enjoyed playing up to those. He was weak, scrawny and not very brave. As far from being the Alpha as you could get. Most of the party were heroic and imposing, this poor runt, not so much. The game fizzled out before too long, a pity.

Saint Jimmy
2017-05-15, 12:37 PM
Well I haven't really played any "sillly" games other then this one-shot goofy murderhobo rampage across a kingdom. My character was the teams leader, a noble named Lord von Lorde. When the DM asked for backstories, this is basicly what I said.

His Lordship, Lord von Lorde, is a lord of the Lordship of Lorde. He lords over the other Lordes, becuase he is the lord. His Lordship began to tire of dealing with other lords (not Lordes) and began to venture out, hoping that his lordly name, Lord von Lorde, would be made famous across the land, and to hopefully expand the Lordship of Lorde the lord.

Lorde was super flamboyant and had a tendancy to shout the stupidest threats/lies just to see who he could fool.

Yeah, it was one of those games.:smalltongue:
Also, if you thought that was kinda confusing to read, think of how it was to listen to in real life!

The_Jette
2017-05-15, 02:36 PM
I created a Gnome Barbarian who carried around a small sized Greataxe, and a few alchemists fire in a Spelljamming campaign. While "grounded" to the ship, and pulling a small town through the phlo (don't ask), I noticed that the area below the ship was filled with demonic creatures that were beginning to pile on top of each other in an ever increasing pile of bodies attempting to reach the ship, which was only about 50' above them. Anyone who's familiar with the Phlo knows exactly how volatile it is towards fire... So, not seeing any other option than letting them continue to pile up until they could reach me, I casually flung an alchemist's fire down into the pit, and watched as a large portion of the town was enveloped in a fireball and destroyed. This was at level 3.
Same game my friend's character jumped onto a ballista and fired it at the demonic creatures. Rolled a 20. DM said to roll for confirmation. Rolled another 20. DM requested he roll again. Rolled another 20. Was told to keep rolling until he didn't. He rolled a total of four 20s in a row before he rolled something else. The DM said he fired through the first three, killing them outright, and to roll damage for the fourth, which was also enough to kill him. It was a good game...

Arbane
2017-05-15, 04:42 PM
His Lordship, Lord von Lorde, is a lord of the Lordship of Lorde. He lords over the other Lordes, becuase he is the lord. His Lordship began to tire of dealing with other lords (not Lordes) and began to venture out, hoping that his lordly name, Lord von Lorde, would be made famous across the land, and to hopefully expand the Lordship of Lorde the lord.

"Pleaning insanity, then?" (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0367.html)

Not my character, but I remember reading about the exploits of Joserius, Egyptian God of Mexican Wrestling. Knows such moves as the Nile Driver.

Madbox
2017-05-16, 05:23 AM
My silliest character would be Bugsy O'Malley, the Bugbear Boxer. Classwise, he was a Way of Shadow Monk with the martial adept feat. He spoke like a 1920s New York gangster, and his sole motivation for adventuring was that it gave him his two favorite things (gold and an excuse to punch people).

His backstory was that he started out as a mugger who got thrown in jail. While in jail, he learned of a wonderful sport called boxing, where he could punch people for money and not get arrested. Once he served his sentence, he joined a boxing league and did well for himself, until the mob started rigging fights. He wasn't content to throw his matches, so he left and became a mercenary so he could continue to punch people for money.

Highlight of his career was using Step of the Wind to jump up to a zombie dragon in midair, and nailing it with a tripping attack. And then bailing after that fight because he wasn't getting paid enough to put up with that sort of enemy.

sengmeng
2017-05-16, 07:42 AM
My current warforged cleric is named Healbot.

My best was probably Dor "Breaker" Suicide (pronounced "Soo-ih-see-day"). By himself, he was only a little goofy, but my friend rolled up Cannen "Fodder" Suicide, his identical twin brother. Both rogues with high strength and no ranks in actual rogue skills, we charged straight ahead, opened locks with crowbars and portable battering rams, and once made an improvised explosive device out of 50 flasks of oil, one flask of alchemists fire, a bag of caltrops, and a donkey for a delivery system. The two of us knew a language no one else at the table spoke, so we each took a rank in Speak Language: Language I Made Up With My Twin, and yes, we used it to plot against the party

Saint Jimmy
2017-05-16, 07:54 AM
"Pleaning insanity, then?" (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0367.html)

Not my character, but I remember reading about the exploits of Joserius, Egyptian God of Mexican Wrestling. Knows such moves as the Nile Driver.

Yes, probably. After seeing that though that was a lot like Thog's little speech. :smalltongue:

Also, Egyptian god of Mexican wrestling. That's just amazing.

LibraryOgre
2017-05-16, 12:31 PM
In rolling up pregens for Hackmaster, I wound up with a couple of doozies.

One was a gnome rogue (think bard, not thief, for Hackmaster), with absolutely abyssmal stats, save for a decent Intelligence, Looks, and Charisma. He picked up the Needy quirk.

Also rolled was a halfling thief with salad-level intelligence. I think he was a 4/thirtysomething. However, he had the flaw of Pocking (i.e. pockmarks all over his face and hands) and an obscenely high skill in Firestarting due to a lucky penetration roll.

So, I had a gnome rogue and a halfling thief. The gnome was smart but weak and clumsy and unwise, and he REALLY NEEDED validation. The halfling was dumb as a post and, apparently a horrible firebug.

Velaryon
2017-05-16, 02:06 PM
Okay, I have to limit myself to one or two at a time, but I've got a few I can list here.

For this post I'm going to focus on D&D - one character of mine and one of the PC's in my current D&D game.

Blackthorne is a half-Vistani drunken master that has actually had two separate incarnations because I've used him more than once. The first time was pretty straightforward and he had a fairly normal if reckless personality (I distinctly remember a battle in which he charged into the fray at 1 hit point because the party cleric was being a brat and wouldn't help anyone). But the second time I used him, he was significantly different.

I really liked the idea of a Robe of Many Items for him, but wasn't really impressed by the actual stuff it has. So what I did instead was convince the DM to let me take a Heward's Handy Haversack and turn it into a bathrobe, with all the pockets and sleeves being extradimensional storage compartments. And then I collected all the random crap that I could.

So in the middle of combat I'd do things like pull a stepladder out of my sleeve and proceed to beat on opponents with it. I may have once used sausage links as an improvised nunchaku as well. He had so much random junk in his inventory that I couldn't fit it on my character sheet and had to maintain a list on my tablet, which I sadly no longer have.

This is a long-running campaign that started at level 2 and is not around level 15 or so. Originally, this player was a half-orc druid named Goroc who, thanks to a misreading of the Natural Bond feat, had a gorilla animal companion named Patrick at a level he shouldn't have been able to. In combat, Goroc basically fought with a huge club and directed Patrick, who grappled and wrestled opponents to sort of lock them down one at a time.

Eventually, after changing characters a couple of times and then ending up back on Goroc, the player decides to cut out the middleman and play the gorilla directly, as that had always been his favorite part of the character. So we concocted a reason for him to leave the party, but before he went, Goroc awakened Patrick the gorilla and the gorilla took his place in the party.

The gorilla now has levels in the Reaping Mauler class (which I fixed up so that it's just meh instead of terrible), wears a luchador mask, and basically has the personality of Ric Flair, complete with interjecting "Woo!" at least once into practically every sentence. His combat style consists of fluffing the different grappling-based attacks he has as whatever wrestling move he wants it to be at the time. He's easily the least optimized character in the group, but the player doesn't seem to care at all.

Dappershire
2017-05-18, 02:01 AM
Got bored, decided to roll up a character. Truly, tremendously bad rolls. I guess something had to balance out somebody elses rolls of straight 18s. So, since it was for Krynn, I went with Aghar.
Staek: The Gully Dwarf Vampire Hunter.
For a back story, I had his father, the Big Guy of the clan, and his 'warriors' get slaughtered by an injured Vamp looking for any dark port in a holy storm. So, obviously, vengeance story.
Nothing masterwork. Rusted Holy Symbols from every God and Goddess. Stone and chain as a poor man's flail, wooden stakes and single use daggers. The heavy scent of garlic, thankfully covering up far less pleasant smells.
Don't think I ever got to fight a vampire with him though. Lots of bashing necromancer ankles though.

Wraith
2017-05-19, 06:39 AM
The funniest - weirdest? - character I ever rolled was an unnamed drifter using the deadEarth system. He got radiation poisoning and died half an hour into character creation, and long before the game even began.

The second weirdest character I ever rolled was in a system called After The Bomb, in which everyone plays sentient, humanoid animals in a post-apocalyptic world. The idea is that you randomly generate an animal which has a Size category, and you can either purchase more Size ranks to become bigger and emphasize your animal attributes (so, elephants are immensely strong, lions have incredibly dangerous claws, birds had increasingly functional wings, and so on) or sell off your existing ranks in order to become smaller and more human, but with an increased pool of points with which to buy stats, feats, equipment and so on.

I rolled a Camel, which is slightly above average in size and so I didn't have a lot of points to spend on my skills and abilities. Since I wanted to play as a Psychic Powerhouse, this was a problem until I sold off a couple of size ranks to buy Telekinesis, and then a couple more for Kine Shield, and a couple more for Levitation, and then I needed some points into order to buy Power Points.....

.....You can probably imagine where this ended up. By the end of character creation, my Camel would float along a few feet from the ground, nigh-impervious to enemy psychic powers and bullets, and could crush cars with the power of his mind; he was also 14 inches tall and was light enough to be buffeted around by a light breeze. He didn't last long before the joke wore very, very thin and he was retired for something more conventional, but it was a worthwhile experience until then!

Denomar
2017-05-19, 12:51 PM
Probably the Awakened Lion Oracle of Life with the powerless prophecy curse I'm rolling up for Reign of Winter.

RyumaruMG
2017-05-19, 05:50 PM
For a game of Fiasco, not D&D, but I once played the arctic research station playset as The Most Boring Climatologist In The World. Every scene I did was just me with a deadpan expression and my best Ben Stein impression. And I played smart, so things went well in the end, and my character decisively proved the problems of climate change and retired to start a career in audiobook narration.

CartmanTuttle
2017-05-19, 07:44 PM
For me, it's Winston MacClellan, Human Fighter, for a 5th edition game.

He had the Gladiator background, very high strength and constitution, above average dexterity, high intelligence, and abysmal wisdom and charisma. He had an incredibly thick scottish accent that made him hard to understand, and he also drank. Heavily. No one even pretended to understand what he said, although his actions definitely spoke louder. One of the party members found and bought a never-ending bottle of mead for him. Although I never got to combine that with the potion of firebreath he was given to see if they would mix.