PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Madness effect

nickl_2000
2017-05-08, 10:59 AM
I'm looking at a custom Madness effect to apply to a PC and would love opinions.

Would this annoy you as a character or would you have fun with it? It seems like something my table would enjoy, but you never know

I'm taking this madness effect and flipping it
"There's only one person I can trust. And only I can see this special friend ."

So it would be something like
The PC is maddened to have an imaginary enemy who is attempting to kill them.

Would you control it as a DM as to when their imaginary enemy "appears", or let the PC play it as they are comfortable? What would be a good control the imaginary enemy appears?

Ninja_Prawn
2017-05-08, 11:37 AM
This is an indefinite effect, yes? In which case the book explicitly says "a character... gains a new character flaw." The meaning is clear: this works just like the flaws you get from your background, and should be handled in the same way.

That is to say, the player should make in-character decisions in a manner that is consistent with the flaw, and should be given Inspiration when this results in suboptimal choices.

I'd also suggest that your 'original' flaw is functionally identical to the "I am convinced that powerful enemies are hunting me..." one from the table. It doesn't really matter whether the enemies are singular or plural. :smalltongue:

nickl_2000
2017-05-08, 11:46 AM
This is an indefinite effect, yes? In which case the book explicitly says "a character... gains a new character flaw." The meaning is clear: this works just like the flaws you get from your background, and should be handled in the same way.

That is to say, the player should make in-character decisions in a manner that is consistent with the flaw, and should be given Inspiration when this results in suboptimal choices.

I'd also suggest that your 'original' flaw is functionally identical to the "I am convinced that powerful enemies are hunting me..." one from the table. It doesn't really matter whether the enemies are singular or plural. :smalltongue:

This will be a indefinite effect that is breakable. Effectively a curse placed by a god that doesn't use the word "curse" in it (I don't want PCs to just cast Remove Curse, and due to the level, race, and location Greater Restoration isn't available to them). The effect can be ended a few modules in the future when the PCs follow a plot hook to break it.

So, let the PC get it and run with it as part of their character.