PDA

View Full Version : Arcane Strike in 5e

Mongobear
2017-05-08, 01:51 PM
One of my favorite builds/feat selections in 3.X was Arcane Strike, which is summarized below:

When you activate this feat (a free action that does not provoke an attack of opportunity), you can channel arcane energy into a melee weapon, your unarmed strike, or natural weapons. You must sacrifice one of your spells for the day (of 1st level or higher) to do this, but you gain a bonus on all your attack tolls for 1 round equal to the level of the spell sacrificed, as well as extra damage equal to 1d4 points x the level of the spell sacrificed. The bonus you add to your attack rolls from this feat cannot be greater than your base attack bonus.

Basically, burn a 2nd level spell, gain +2 on your attack and +2d4 damage for all attacks you make that round.

Looking through 5e PHB and SCAG, there isn't a whole lot of ways to emulate this perfectly. The two things I found closest to it, were the Elemental Weapon spell, and Divine Smite from the Paladin class.

I am going to be starting a new game in about a month, and would really like to make a throwback character to this feat/build style that I have used many times during 3.X's heyday.

As far as I know this far out we are starting at 9th level(this is a continuation of our 3 year old campaign finally coming to an end, so we are rewinding a bit and going forward with the story currently in motion from a different PoV), rolling stats, using all official books, and may be able to use UA on a case-by-case basis. Homebrew is likely not allowed, although the DM did allow the Blood Hunter from Matt Mercer/Critical Role, under the stipulation that if it becomes too strong, he would make the player re-roll something official.

My plan right now, is Paladin 2/Eldritch Knight 7, no idea on race, although something with a large amount of stat bonuses for such a MAD build isn't out of the question, like Half-Elf/V. Human so I don't lose an ASI for a Feat.

I already rolled my stats, and got a pretty godly array, 10 14 15 16 17 17. I dont think I need to worry about getting my ASI's on time, since I likely will have my main stat at 20 at the start of this game.

Does anyone have any suggestions or input on how best to emulate the 3.X Feat?

Other than my currently planned build, I also thought of a few others I liked:

Sorc 6/Paladin 3
Paladin 6/Sorc 3
Paladin 3/Bard 6
Paladin 2/Warlock 3/Sorc or Bard 4
Mountain Dwarf Sorc 9 (Elemental Weapon + SCAG Cantrips)
Pure Paladin 9 and just ignore the difference between Divine/Arcane magic

gabrion
2017-05-08, 02:39 PM
I don't know of any 5e abilities that exactly replicate it. As you've noticed with smite though, there are abilities that let you burn spell slots to add damage to attacks.

Personally I would suggest a homebrew if you don't find the equivilent. I would say be careful with the balance though. Paladin smite and the warlock invocations with a similar ability give you a solid idea of what 5e considers balanced when burning a spell slots to add damage to an attack.

Callin
2017-05-08, 02:55 PM
Paladin/Sorc will be the closest approx to the old feat. Just for being able to Hit and then BURN a spell to Smite. 1 level of Hexblade Warlock could be useful for the Curse effect and using only Cha to hit and Damage.

So I would say,

Sorc 1 for the Con Save Prof.
Pal 1
Pal 2
War 1
Sorc 2-6

Sorc 6/ Pal 2/ Warlock 1

Stone Sorcerer and Hexblade make you a 2 stat needed character. (if you go with one handed weapons or Versatile Weapon)
Seriously- AC is 13+Con Mod, Attacks and Damage are off of Charisma, Stone Aegis, Hexblades Curse, 10pts Lay on Hands (good for curing disease and stuff), Fighting Style (no defense cus no armor), 1 short rest refreshing 1st level spell that can be used for your Warlock, Paladin, or Sorc Spells. CL of 7 so you got 4th level spells. (or just 3rds.. not sure how it breaks down with just 2 levels a 1/3rd class)

Optimal Races
Scourge Aasimar
Human of Course cus FEATS!
Abyssal Tiefling

I am sure others will have more to comment on.

gabrion
2017-05-08, 03:17 PM
Stone Sorcerer and Hexblade make you a 2 stat needed character. (if you go with one handed weapons or Versatile Weapon)
Seriously- AC is 13+Con Mod, Attacks and Damage are off of Charisma, Stone Aegis, Hexblades Curse, 10pts Lay on Hands (good for curing disease and stuff), Fighting Style (no defense cus no armor), 1 short rest refreshing 1st level spell that can be used for your Warlock, Paladin, or Sorc Spells. CL of 7 so you got 4th level spells. (or just 3rds.. not sure how it breaks down with just 2 levels a 1/3rd class)

I very much endorse the stone sorcerer for a smiting melee gish, but would just point out that the warlock invocations (fair or not) give better returns than paladin smite.

Everstar
2017-05-08, 03:38 PM
If your DM let you create your own feat, you might consider doing something in the spirit of a combination of Booming Blade (SCAG) and a Paladin smite.

Booming Blade would be the "flavor" of how the energy is channeled into the weapon but would only function when a spell slot is burned, like the Paladin smite feature does.

If would keep the mechanics based off smite: useable once a round (not for multiple attack unless multiple spell slots were used), damage dealt based on spell slot caps with 4th level spell slots, etc.

If you want to add in attack bonuses on top of that, then I would lower the damage die from d8 to d6. Attack bonus could be +1 per spell slot, max of +4 (capping at the same level damage does).

It would still be pretty strong, maybe too much, and some GMs might consider it overpowered to essentially give away a class feature from a feat.

Otherwise, I would just go Paladin 2/Sorcerer 18 and be a smite monkey (or 6/12 if you want to be more tankish). Check out Gastronomie's Sorcadin guide.

Mongobear
2017-05-08, 03:44 PM
*snip*

Otherwise, I would just go Paladin 2/Sorcerer 18 and be a smite monkey (or 6/12 if you want to be more tankish). Check out Gastronomie's Sorcadin guide.

I doubt the DM would allow homebrew to fly, although since it existed in an old edition, I may be able to convince him to create a version of it that is functional for our game, but I wouldn't bank on it.

I am very familiar with that guide, and have played a Sorc/Paladin a few times before this, I just didnt want to rely on a character build I have done already.

lunaticfringe
2017-05-08, 03:51 PM
You really don't need the plus to hit so Smite, either through Paladin or the even better Warlock/Wizard UA Bladelock Invocation weapons is where I'd look. Mix in Sorcerer or Bard to your liking, Reflavor/Redeco as needed.

I have no qualms as a DM about changing Radiant damage from Smite to something else. Had a player who wanted to be a Paladin of a Storm God so we tweaked the Spell list and changed Smite to deal Lightning Damage.

Mongobear
2017-05-08, 04:02 PM
You really don't need the plus to hit so Smite, either through Paladin or the even better Warlock/Wizard UA Bladelock Invocation weapons is where I'd look. Mix in Sorcerer or Bard to your liking, Reflavor/Redeco as needed.

I have no qualms as a DM about changing Radiant damage from Smite to something else. Had a player who wanted to be a Paladin of a Storm God so we tweaked the Spell list and changed Smite to deal Lightning Damage.

Yeah, I know the to hit bonus is likely the first thing to go, since Bounded Accuracy would be thrown entirely out of whack with it. How about Advantage on the attack roll with it?

Our current DM had an idea to start allowing damage type swaps for the sake of flavor, especially for Paladin and a few other classes where it would just make more sense to not be a certain type in place of another. The closest thing I can think of Arcane Strike being in 5e Elements is Force, in 3.X is was an untyped Universal damage type, so you didnt have to worry about resistances or immunities.

mephnick
2017-05-08, 04:05 PM
It's basically just a much better Hex/Hunter's Mark. You're already expending a spell slot, so I wouldn't even make it a feat, just a custom spell. Higher than 2nd level of course.

lunaticfringe
2017-05-08, 04:38 PM
Yeah, I know the to hit bonus is likely the first thing to go, since Bounded Accuracy would be thrown entirely out of whack with it. How about Advantage on the attack roll with it?

Our current DM had an idea to start allowing damage type swaps for the sake of flavor, especially for Paladin and a few other classes where it would just make more sense to not be a certain type in place of another. The closest thing I can think of Arcane Strike being in 5e Elements is Force, in 3.X is was an untyped Universal damage type, so you didnt have to worry about resistances or immunities.

Force would work pretty well for an untyped Energy analog. Psychic too probably. Or just keep Radiant.

solidork
2017-05-08, 04:43 PM
I'm not entirely sure on the details, but our GM let our Dwarven Abjuration Wizard have some kind of smiting ability that uses d6s. It hasn't seemed too broken, fwiw. I'm pretty sure it does force damage.

Arcangel4774
2017-05-08, 05:38 PM
Paladin and hexblade make a super strong 2h combo, with the extended crit range of the curse. Otherwise the other pact of the blade weapons (ignoring archefey unless you double down on dex and archery) make for good sword and board styled fighter. I mean check out that GOO flail with reach. You can double on divine and pact weapon smite for some stupid nova as well.

3 lock/ 6 pal nets you protective aura with one invocation to spare. Take agonizing blast if you want range.

4 lock/5 pal gets you one more asi at the cost of that protective aura. With the high charisma you'll have it's not really worth it.

5 lock/ 4 pal you now have to invest if you want a second attack. You can of course forgo it and rely on scag cantrips for slightly less damage. You also lose the 2nd level paladin spell slots. However you gain 3rd level spell slots and the option to make your pact weapon +1. If your hexblade you get an invocation option to teleport on top of people as well. So many invocations so little time.

6 lock/ 3 pal. You lose an asi. Oh well. But you gain an otherworldly patron feature. Some of them are nice, some are situational.

7 lock / 2 pal you lose your devine oath, some of which are pretty nice. However you gain an invocation, your spell slots are 4th level.