PDA

View Full Version : Earning money with Perform

Scryangi
2017-05-08, 03:09 PM
My character will be starting--winning-- with the power of Rock, Guitar Heroing through the game, thanks to the Arcenciel, one of the best homebrew items I have ever seen.
https://dnd-wiki.org/wiki/Arcenciel_(3.5e_Equipment)

Sadly, it costs 424.050 gp to fully unlock all seven legacy rituals. That is...a lot. So, is there a way that I can earn that money using Perform? Since research shows that one gold is 20 dollars, and world renown artists are pretty rich, I expect to earn more than 1d6 gold for one evening of concerts.

I have

18 charisma
Perform is a class skill, thanks to a skill trick.
3/day, a +5 to Perform
Arcenciel itself gives a +3 enhancement bonus to Perform (string instruments) checks, with an additional +1 for every color unlocked, to a maximum of +10.

How much should I be able to earn with this? $_$

The_Jette
2017-05-08, 03:48 PM
My character will be starting--winning-- with the power of Rock, Guitar Heroing through the game, thanks to the Arcenciel, one of the best homebrew items I have ever seen.
https://dnd-wiki.org/wiki/Arcenciel_(3.5e_Equipment)

Sadly, it costs 424.050 gp to fully unlock all seven legacy rituals. That is...a lot. So, is there a way that I can earn that money using Perform? Since research shows that one gold is 20 dollars, and world renown artists are pretty rich, I expect to earn more than 1d6 gold for one evening of concerts.

I have

18 charisma
Perform is a class skill, thanks to a skill trick.
3/day, a +5 to Perform
Arcenciel itself gives a +3 enhancement bonus to Perform (string instruments) checks, with an additional +1 for every color unlocked, to a maximum of +10.

How much should I be able to earn with this? $_$

By the time it's fully unlocked you're a minimum of level 19 (since it has a requirement of Perform 22 ranks), so why would you still be earning your money by Performing? You could go murder... I mean, defeat... a dragon and take all its gold for more than you'd make after a year of touring and doing near constant concerts.

Gildedragon
2017-05-08, 03:50 PM
3d6gp if you can hit 30
Best to adventure and use perform to diplomancy folks.
Get an "of Legacy" Instrument for 500gp for +10 circumstance to perform

Geddy2112
2017-05-08, 03:52 PM
At level 1, if you have max ranks in perform(as a class skill), you have a +8 to perform, which you bump to a +13 3/day, and +3 from the instrument, for a +16. Taking 10, you will make a minimum of 1d6 gp a day. After a few levels you will have a +20 so taking 10 bumps you to 3d6. By this time, you should have attracted a lot of attention and might get more gold or a patronage.

That said, you are not going to be making as much money busking as you will adventuring. Consider it a good side hustle for an evening performance at the inn you are at or during downtime in towns. However, there is much more loot to be had in dungeon delving than any performance.

Gildedragon
2017-05-08, 04:00 PM
So... looked at the item
And this isn't an item of legacy... not really.
1) way too many rituals.
2) the item itself doesn't have a level progression... it says it follows the functional item of legacy rules but those are just removing the slot/save/hp/skill costs... so it doesn't.
3) this behaves more like a item set than a legacy item.

Scryangi
2017-05-08, 04:04 PM
3D6 gold. If one gold is 20 dollars, then that means a rock guitarist earns 220 dollars for a concert? D: That doesn't make sense. <.<

So... looked at the item
And this isn't an item of legacy... not really.

Perhaps, but a rainbow has 7 colours. And what's the use of a magical item that costs more, yet is weaker, than crafting something yourself?

Zancloufer
2017-05-08, 04:26 PM
3D6 gold. If one gold is 20 dollars, then that means a rock guitarist earns 220 dollars for a concert? D: That doesn't make sense. <.<

First I think that 1 GP is closer to 25 USD iirc.

Also you have to remember BUYING POWER. Even if 1 GP is worth 25 modern USD back then things are a lot cheaper. 2 GP is a luxury inn (>$50), a days worth of higher end meals out is only 5 sp (~$10! Good luck eating a meal out ANYWHERE for that now). 1 GP gets you 50 loafs of bread. ~50cents a loaf.

That 220GP will get him a ~5 star Inn + top tier meals for almost three monthes. Working one night a month and still making money? That is incredibly insane.

Scryangi
2017-05-08, 04:28 PM
First I think that 1 GP is closer to 25 USD iirc.

Also you have to remember BUYING POWER. Even if 1 GP is worth 25 modern USD back then things are a lot cheaper. 2 GP is a luxury inn (>$50), a days worth of higher end meals out is only 5 sp (~$10! Good luck eating a meal out ANYWHERE for that now). 1 GP gets you 50 loafs of bread. ~50cents a loaf.

That 220GP will get him a ~5 star Inn + top tier meals for almost three monthes. Working one night a month and still making money? That is incredibly insane.

That...makes a LOT of sense. Really, thank you for putting things in perspective. A case of culture shock, it seems. Thank you. :)

Gildedragon
2017-05-08, 04:56 PM
Dem's the perform rules

Perhaps, but a rainbow has 7 colours. And what's the use of a magical item that costs more, yet is weaker, than crafting something yourself?
???
I didn't suggest a magic item.
An item of legend is a sort of "masterwork plus" item.

A legacy item is... well an item that grows with the PC each level or so.

This works less like an item of legacy than the Sevenfold Veils item set (i.e. you pay for each new ability)

Scryangi
2017-05-08, 05:26 PM
I didn't suggest a magic item.
An item of legend is a sort of "masterwork plus" item.

A legacy item is... well an item that grows with the PC each level or so.

This works less like an item of legacy than the Sevenfold Veils item set (i.e. you pay for each new ability)

Oh...sorry, my mistake. I thought that Legacy items also required gold to upgrade, but you first need to meet the requirements. But I also thought that the critique on them was that they cost you HP, skill points, etc, thus making them much worse than just buying a magic item.

Gildedragon
2017-05-08, 06:01 PM
Oh...sorry, my mistake. I thought that Legacy items also required gold to upgrade, but you first need to meet the requirements. But I also thought that the critique on them was that they cost you HP, skill points, etc, thus making them much worse than just buying a magic item.

Legacy items do need gold to upgrade. At levels 5, 11, and 17.
They also do cost other stuff BUT the alternate rule that the item you linked is alledgedly following is a "just pay the gold and XP, ignore the other costs"
Except the harp you posted doesn't really follow Item of Legacy format... which is sort of to be expected... it is a DnDwiki thing.

The spells and stuff it has are good I guess, but there isn't the feel that the item slowly gets better; rather one has to be paying all the time to boost it.

It even has a "completion" ability... which is a bit odd as part of the point of items of legacy is their linear progression.

The harp should be seen as an item set... Which sort of changes the pricing scheme and we'll makes it trickier.