PDA

View Full Version : Adventures in Middle-Earth: Statting Characters

DStenz89
2017-05-08, 04:59 PM
I know that a lot of people dislike the whole, "let's build Aragorn" conversation. I agree that it could be difficult to do with normal D&D classes. Now that the Adventures in Middle Earth books have come out (player's guide, loremaster's guide, and an adventure path book), I think that this is a much more feasible thing to do especially with the new classes and flavored classes. For those of you who have had a chance to look through the book how you would you build these Middle-earth characters? I'm open to listening to ideas on and discussing any characters from any era of ME.

GlenSmash!
2017-05-08, 07:21 PM
I know that a lot of people dislike the whole, "let's build Aragorn" conversation. I agree that it could be difficult to do with normal D&D classes. Now that the Adventures in Middle Earth books have come out (player's guide, loremaster's guide, and an adventure path book), I think that this is a much more feasible thing to do especially with the new classes and flavored classes. For those of you who have had a chance to look through the book how you would you build these Middle-earth characters? I'm open to listening to ideas on and discussing any characters from any era of ME.

There's a discussion on this very topic on the cubicle 7 forums.

I'm of the opinion that just about every fictional hero would have to have rolled amazing stats, I can't imagine Aragorn having below a 14 in a stat. He's a character that's good at a lot of things (maybe everything) and a Master at some things, like woods-craft and Swordsmanship.

Ultimately I find it unfulfilling to at stat out a character like Aragorn. But what I do like to do is stat out a character that would let me play an Aragorn-like character so here goes:

So we're looking at a Character that only uses a Longsword as his weapon (in the books anyway, in the movies he also has a shortbow and a dagger), can guide characters through tough terrain, track enemies, heal with herbs, and inspire and command armies.

For Background Hunted by shadow, or Fallen Scion both work pretty well, Lure of the Road coulds work too. For classes I would go Wanderer for all the woods-craftiness. For the healing you could do levels of Scholar, 3 would get you Master healer, or you could just grab the Herb-Lore specialty from a background. Or just make Athelas potions. A few levels in Warrior could work, but I think they are not strictly necessary for the concept.

For Virtues (i.e. Feats) any of the Dunedain Virtues fit. Royalty Revealed is straight up Aragorn, and covers the leading and inspiring armies bit quite well, Dauntless Guardians, and Foresight of their Kindred are really fitting too.

Now the tough one is stats. If you can't just roll high on everything how should you prioritize stats? Strength is important for Sword skill, Dexterity, for AC in light or medium armor, and stealth, Constitution for hit points, and Aragorn's general hardiness, Intelligence for the nature and shadow lore skills, Wisdom for a bunch of Wanderer abilities, skills and corruption Saves, and Charisma for Royalty Reveled.

With +1 to Con, Wis, and two skills of your choice it's easy to spread those skills around. A cultural virtue can give an additional +1 to Wis. I would want as high as possible Wisdom score to get the most out of my Wanderer, a high Strength for using a Longsword, A Dex of 14 for maximum ac in medium armor, and then as good as I can in the other three stats.

With point buy you can get a 14,13,13,13,11,10, with the +1 and a half feat you could start out with 14 Str, 14, Dex, 14, Con, 11(or 10) Int, 16 Wis, 10(or 11) Cha and have an all around good and really Wise character. If you drop the Wis to 12 before modifiers you can do 14,14,14,12,14,12 and be a really good generalist, but sadly not great at anything. With rolling stats of course anything is possible.

Well that's my breakdown of an Aragorn like character. He's by far the toughest one to do. I'll come back later and start on the other member's of the fellowship.

DStenz89
2017-05-08, 08:10 PM

I'm of the opinion that just about every fictional hero would have to have rolled amazing stats, I can't imagine Aragorn having below a 14 in a stat. He's a character that's good at a lot of things (maybe everything) and a Master at some things, like woods-craft and Swordsmanship.

Ultimately I find it unfulfilling to at stat out a character like Aragorn. But what I do like to do is stat out a character that would let me play an Aragorn-like character so here goes:

So we're looking at a Character that only uses a Longsword as his weapon (in the books anyway, in the movies he also has a shortbow and a dagger), can guide characters through tough terrain, track enemies, heal with herbs, and inspire and command armies.

For Background Hunted by shadow, or Fallen Scion both work pretty well, Lure of the Road coulds work too. For classes I would go Wanderer for all the woods-craftiness. For the healing you could do levels of Scholar, 3 would get you Master healer, or you could just grab the Herb-Lore specialty from a background. Or just make Athelas potions. A few levels in Warrior could work, but I think they are not strictly necessary for the concept.

For Virtues (i.e. Feats) any of the Dunedain Virtues fit. Royalty Revealed is straight up Aragorn, and covers the leading and inspiring armies bit quite well, Dauntless Guardians, and Foresight of their Kindred are really fitting too.

Now the tough one is stats. If you can't just roll high on everything how should you prioritize stats? Strength is important for Sword skill, Dexterity, for AC in light or medium armor, and stealth, Constitution for hit points, and Aragorn's general hardiness, Intelligence for the nature and shadow lore skills, Wisdom for a bunch of Wanderer abilities, skills and corruption Saves, and Charisma for Royalty Reveled.

With +1 to Con, Wis, and two skills of your choice it's easy to spread those skills around. A cultural virtue can give an additional +1 to Wis. I would want as high as possible Wisdom score to get the most out of my Wanderer, a high Strength for using a Longsword, A Dex of 14 for maximum ac in medium armor, and then as good as I can in the other three stats.

With point buy you can get a 14,13,13,13,11,10, with the +1 and a half feat you could start out with 14 Str, 14, Dex, 14, Con, 11(or 10) Int, 16 Wis, 10(or 11) Cha and have an all around good and really Wise character. If you drop the Wis to 12 before modifiers you can do 14,14,14,12,14,12 and be a really good generalist, but sadly not great at anything. With rolling stats of course anything is possible.

Well that's my breakdown of an Aragorn like character. He's by far the toughest one to do. I'll come back later and start on the other member's of the fellowship.

Yeah I think that's awesome. In my mind Aragorn is probably at least a level 10 Wanderer based on him getting hide in plain sight. He seems to have that. Then probably the levels of scholar to get the athelas. I didn't think about that. In my mind that probably puts him at a level 13 when he sets out from Rivendell imo.

DStenz89
2017-05-08, 08:12 PM

Do you have a link for that forum?

thorr-kan
2017-05-14, 07:23 PM
forums.cubicle7.co.uk

GlenSmash!
2017-05-15, 04:21 PM
Boromir time.

Culture: Man of Minas Tirith
Class, Warrior: Knight

His knightly charge is bringing the ring to Minas Tirith.

Stats using Standard Array 16,12,14,11,8,14. Boromir is Strong, Tough, and Charismatic enough to lead Armies to Victory in Gondor, but he's certainly not wise, and he clearly fails a lot of corruption saving throws. With Point buy you could certainly beef up Constitution. You could get something like 16,10,16,9,8,14 which is probably a better fit.

He's a Sword and Board guy, so Dueling, Defense, or Protection Fighting Styles all work. I'd go for Dueling since I think Boromir is the kind of guy who concentrates on putting his enemies down.

I could see him being around level 5-7. He's certainly a big deal in Gondor and able to bring down a lot of orcs or even Uruk Hai. I would put his first ASI into Strength to account for him being the strongest member of the company. Expertise in athletics would fit too.

For his first Mark of Honor I'd give him Knight's Strike. Spending Inspiration to do more damage seems to fit well to me.

Well that was an easy one. I'll probably do Gimli next.

GlenSmash!
2017-05-15, 04:39 PM
Gimli son of Gloin,

Culture: Dwarf of Erebor (Iron Hill's can start with a better strength, but Gimli ain't from there)
Class: Warrior, Weapon Master

Stats using Standard array 15,10,16,8,14,12. with Point by 15,10,17,8,12,12, Gimli is Strong and tough as they come. Not really learned in Lore or traditions of other cultures, but he's not the kind to easily fall to shadow, and he's pretty much the best to sit and have a drink with.

Since Gimli from the books uses a Battleaxe, and picks up a shield in Rohan, good fighting style choices are Dueling, Defense, and Protection. If you're going with movie Gimli grab Great Weapon Fighting.

For level I'd also put him around 5-6. For ASIs putting +2 into strength is the best mechanically, but the dwarf Virtues Old Hatred, and Durin's way are very thematic.

For his first Weapon Mastery what else but Weapon Master's challenge. It was clearly written with Legolas and Gimli in mind.

Gimli is a solid, short, orc-killing machine. He is clearly the standard all dwarves are measured against. This would be a cliche, but super fun character to play,