PDA

View Full Version : The Styes - IC

kinem
2017-05-08, 07:38 PM
(OOC thread at this link) (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?524353-The-Styes-OOC)

Once, the Styes was a marvelous ocean gateway. Her magnificent buildings crowned a man-made island which fountained from the ocean itself, held aloft on leviathan forests of great oak piers and boardwalks. These huge beams proudly carried great facades of marble grandeur, crowned with a thousand dancing statues, impossible towers, and dizzily sloping gables, a testament to the quality of the greatest builders the world had to offer. Her streets thronged with richly clothed merchants, exotic courtesans, and the passing palanquins of nobility. It was known as the Island of Pleasures, a Xanadu of vice and indolence. It was a destination for the rich and decadent of the world ... or so Captain Vega has informed you.

Now ... Under smoke-bent gables, palsied carcasses of houses lean against each other — languid, broken, awaiting the peace of collapse. Door frames sag, dislocated from sod walls heavy with mildew, and hemorrhaged timbers hang like broken limbs from rotting boardwalks into the thick, rancid waters of the harbor below. In many places, sections of the boardwalks have fallen away completely, leaving gaping
holes that expose polluted waters.

It's been a miserable voyage, with storms almost a daily occurrence, and the Arriba creaks with every gust of wind as she limps towards the pier. It's obvious that the ship needs repairs, badly, before daring to put out to sea again. What is far from obvious is whether those repairs can be had at any price in such a run-down city, or how much gold the ship's cargo of tea might fetch in such a place.

As the Arriba docks, Captain Vega comes to see you off the ship. You've heard rumors that the Captain was once a pirate, and his long beard and pet monkey do nothing to dispel them, but he's old enough to have long since retired.

"This is as far as I can take you. Good luck and I mean it. You'll need it. See that yellow fog that hangs over the city? Alchemical waste, I guess. Breathe the air here and you'll get sick. Don't breathe it and I guess you'll die, heh."

There is indeed a bit of yellow haze in the air over the city. You also see some kind of commotion on the dock. A crowd has formed there and people are arguing. The dock workers raise their voices trying to shoo the crowd away so that they can work.

Paddywagon Man
2017-05-08, 08:44 PM
Hosni Dvorak thanks Captain Vega and strides confidently off the ship towards the disturbance. Guido and Eva follow on either shoulder, Guido's palpable draconic presence complementing Hosni's impressive powers of persuasion.

While he waits for the rest of the party, Dvorak takes in the sights around him and attempts to determine the nature of the conflict.

(Presence aura gives +1 to social skill checks for allies within 40 feet)

Eva scans the crowd, Hosni's safety always the first thing on her mind.

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2017-05-08, 08:55 PM
Granthar

"My kinda place." Granthar says with a huff. He grabs his gear and waves a salute to the captain. "Keep yer monkey dry."

He makes his way off the ship towards the commotion. "why did we come here again?" Granthar asked no one in particular.

Paddywagon Man
2017-05-14, 08:00 PM
Ororo stumbles off the boat, tactlessly answering his fellow dwarf's undirected question.

"Your kind of place? You fairweather dwarves have some damn peculiar tastes, then. Roomcarnage might have been a frozen yak turd of a spot to grow up in, but the reek in this place makes me wish I'd never left my mother's arms."

His nausea outweighed by his hurry to get back on dry land, he chases after Granthar and Hosni, shooting a jealous look at Eva.

Back on the boat, Enver rushes around surveying the damage while the elven warriors retch over the side. Through their enchantment-addled minds they try to remember why they ever left their bountiful forests in the first place.

J-H
2017-05-14, 08:48 PM
Max

Max follows the others down the gangplank. It doesn't show except to Detect Magic, but his body is under the effects of elemental earth and water magics (Heart of Earth/Heart of Water active for the day).

He wrinkles his nose. "This place needs a good hurricane to clean it out.

I wonder what the argument is about? Perhaps we should learn something of it."

kinem
2017-05-14, 11:18 PM
The dock workers say nothing as you pass them. They all seem to have red rashes on their faces and inflamed eyelids.

These same symptoms are evident on most of those around the dock as well. The crowd consists of roughly five dozen people. As you watch and wait, you note conversations like the following, of which the one involving these two seems prominent:

"Fellow Seekers, I felt the call of the sea strongly today. There must be a reason! The gods are telling me something! It will mean a better life for us!" a dark-haired woman wearing a seashell necklace over a simple beige tunic proclaims. She would perhaps have been considered somewhat attractive, were it not for the rashes on her face. She seems to be the leader of many of those here.

Confronting her is a swarthy man who also has a swollen face. He is very thin and somewhat tall. "It is a curse! I had nightmares about the ocean rising up and drowning us all. If we don't flee it means our doom!" he proclaims.

Only a few of those present seem to be armed.

As your group approaches, many of those present begin to stare at you.

TankLaser007
2017-05-15, 01:04 PM
Ren pads off of the boat behind the others, he looses himself in between the throng of Hosni's clingers on. It was always convenient how that man seemed to attract admirers where ever they went. What was more convenient was how they always seemed to find themselves between the young lithe violet eyed man and potential enemies.

Nestled within the centre of Hosni's little mob Ren felt insulated from the wretches of this forsaken city they had seemed to have landed in. He saw nothing of the pomp and splendour that old sea dog had been on about. Where were the brothels, the scent of perfumes, exotic succulent foods and sundry?

No he thought with a shudder looking at the squalor and filth. Luxuriant this certainly was not. you didn't have to be one adept in the psionic arts or telepathic to clearly read the disgust on the youth's face.

"How long shall we be putting ashore here" he asked, his voice laced with icy trepidation as he tightened the drawstrings on his purse and loosened the catch on the fastenings securing his weapons. Making sure there was a bolt readied in cross bow slung over his shoulder he nervously scanned the docks for signs of trouble.

He eyed the swollen and splotched faces with clear fear and disgust, as his nose crinkled. "I'd give these 'locals' a wide berth no telling what type of contagion they may harbour..."

He made sure to have an extra insulation or thrall flesh between himself and these harbour rats.

Paddywagon Man
2017-05-15, 02:52 PM
Hosni turns to Granthar and chuckles.

"People complaining about water. Just what I needed after a long boat ride with a desert elf!"

Turning back to the crowd, he strides fearlessly up to the two ringleaders, his fine clothes and commanding presence setting him apart from the afflicted mob around him.

"Dreams and nightmares are poor justification for leveling weapons against your neighbors.
Perhaps the two of you could explain the nature of your grievances - and maybe even direct us to some reputable lodgings."

kinem
2017-05-15, 09:48 PM
The tall man says in reply to Hosni "You'd be right, stranger, anywhere else. But this place is cursed and we need to heed the warnings before it's too late."

The woman says "We need hope! After recent events ... I'm sorry, you don't know. There is a serial killer on the loose here! The Lantern Man. My own brother was hung recently for the crimes ... But I'm sure he was innocent! What would you have us do, stranger? What other hope is there for us?"

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2017-05-15, 10:11 PM
Granthar

"I'm sorry for your loss Miss. Lantern man.." Granthar repeats in a serious tone. "I can't make any promises but if you tell us more, maybe we can look into it. People should feel safe in the streets." Granthar says with an air of concern. He tries to maintain some distance to avoid catching whatever it was.

"And the affliction that most of you have, is that from the water or something else ? " he motions to the face of one of the people at the docks.

TankLaser007
2017-05-15, 11:14 PM
Ren raises an eyebrow and eagerly awaits to hear of what is afflicted these pathetic people, other than poverty and poor taste in attire. Then his thoughts turn to Granthar's implied assistance in the apprehension of this so called Lantern Man. No good deed is without its reward. Especially when make sure that's in the fine print...

"Serial killer? Why do they call this killer the 'Lantern Man' and what makes you so sure he is still at large? If as you say, your brother was innocent of such crimes, then there will likely be a continuation in the deaths? Might there be some type of.... remuneration for the successful cessation of said slayer? Be it from the local authorities or perhaps private more personally invested benefactors?"

kinem
2017-05-16, 05:39 PM
The tall man laughs. "You won't squeeze a copper out of this poor lady, because she has none to give! Not that I do, either, mind."

The woman says "Quiet, Tim.

Strangers, my name is Eleanor Loveage. I'd be most grateful if you would look into the murders and clear my brother's name." She begins to sob.

"Affliction? Oh, the Redface. People say it's from the air here.

"The Lantern Man they call the one who murders at night, carrying a lantern. There already has been another such murder. Hmm ... Please, if you're willing to help, come with me to see Master Refrum. He's a priest who's been trying to help me. He may be able to answer a few of your questions."

Tim says "This is a waste of time. The murderer has hung already, and that ship is in no shape to take us away from here. Let's go home."

He leaves and about a dozen people follow him.

The rest of the people seem to side with the grieving woman. Many of them tell you "Thank you for offering to help!" "Good people!" and the like. Many are quiet now and watch with rapt attention, staring at your group, especially Hosni.

You get a familiar feeling, like that these 50 commoners are ready to follow your lead.

TankLaser007
2017-05-16, 09:55 PM
The air? Ren slowly begins to gather a thick black fox tail scarf around his neck and especially gathering it in front of his mouth and nose. He becomes acutely aware of his breath, and how much of his skin is constantly exposed to the now possibly harmful element. He can't have his delicate features marred by such an affliction.

The youth shifts restlessly among his fleshly shield of elf flesh. And waits to see what shall happen next. Whoever this priest is he is hoping at least his accommodations are more 'suitable' than those presently displayed along the docks.

"Are we going to see this Refrum fellow?" he asks the others, his voice slightly muffled by the scarf obscuring his face.

J-H
2017-05-16, 10:10 PM
Max

Max nods his head in agreement.
"A priest will at least be someone with some knowledge. It's as good a place to start as any, and better than some. Perhaps he'll be a priest of Umberlee?"

Paddywagon Man
2017-05-16, 10:28 PM
Hosni addresses the crowd, pleased to feel that familiar sense of command and belonging.

"Eleanor, your speech to those Seekers was very moving. For a people to be devoid of hope is a tragic thing. I hope our presence can bring some back to the Styes, if only through bringing this slayer to justice.

Would you be willing to accompany us for the time being? We are unfamiliar with the Styes and could use a reliable guide. I would also like to know as much as possible about your departed brother - If he was innocent of the slayings, then determining who might have set him up to take the blame might put us on the track of the true killer."

Turning to the rest of the gathered group, Hosni waves them on their way in a kindly, paternal manner.

"I greatly appreciate your show of support. I'll get word out to you once my companions and I are set up in the Styes and ready to begin investigating. Please stay safe in these troubled circumstances, and come right to me if you need anything or if the Lantern Man strikes again."

Hosni then turns to follow Eleanor to see this "Refrum".

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2017-05-16, 10:47 PM
Granthar

Granthar found himself nodding in agreement as Hosni spoke.

He falls in behind Hosni. Granthar scratches at his face subconsciously as he worried about 'catching' whatever was in the air.

kinem
2017-05-17, 10:55 PM
The people in the crowd nod and applaud Hosni's speech. "Who are you?" many ask.

After introductions they wish you luck and begin to disperse.

Eleanor Loveage says "I'd be glad to show you around. The Styes are artificial islands with foundations built on timber sunk into the harbor bottom. This allows ships to dock all around the city. The water next to the real shore is too shallow for ships.

Right now we are in the Merchants' Quarter. The best part of town is the Market here. To the east is the High Quarter, where the weirdos live, if you ask me. Circling north from that - the city is kind of like a horseshoe - is the Alchemist's Quarter. The air is real bad there from all the factories, but the Styes' main export is alchemical stuff so maybe it's worth it. Master Refrum lives there, so that's where we should go. West of that is the Low Quarter, which is sinking. That's where the lowlifes live since no one else wants to.

If you can afford it, the best way from one part of town to another is to pay a fishing skiff. Most charge just a copper a head for the trip. You could also walk around the horseshoe, but that is much longer and there are a lot of long rickety bridges."

You see a small flat-bottomed boat pull up to the dock, and six passengers depart from it.

J-H
2017-05-17, 11:14 PM
Max
"Perhaps we should take that boat there."

The sorcerer turns to Eleanor. "Tell us more about this Refrum as we ride, please."

TankLaser007
2017-05-18, 05:19 AM
Ren gingerly steps into the boat, he is sure to take a seat central of the skiff far from the edges and the water and encourages his comrades to seat themselves around him, he is keen to assure he is not near any of the locals, keeping a nice buffer between him and the splotchy faced denizens of the squalid port city.

"This priest lives in the most polluted portion of your paltry port side properties? This poison pumping Alchemical Quarter?"

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2017-05-18, 09:16 AM
Granthar

"yay more boats." Granthar says with mock enthusiasm. He debated for a few moments about walking and ultimately decided against it. "How can a bridge be rickety ?" he puzzled. No sooner had he said it, did he realize these fools likely build their bridges with wood rather than the preferred material of real engineers, stone. "If we are going to the alchemist quarter, I suspect we all are going to catch this "Face Rabbies" thing that is going around." Granthar stroked his beard to help calm himself.

Jormengand
2017-05-18, 02:45 PM
Nadiyah had been silent until now, but spoke. "If we're going to find this Lantern Man, I have a spell which may be of assistance, though the caveat is that it does require an exceptionally well-crafted mirror which I do not possess, and some object with a connection to the Lantern Man, which I do not possess either. I am able to cast it without preparation but it will take an hour and there is nothing I can do about that either."

Feeling inexplicably historonic as she stepped onto the boat with her tiger Khuram, she pulled her hijab slightly more over her face. "I'll admit that I don't like the idea of entering such a poorly-operated alchemical zone, but we have reason enough to justify it, I suppose."

Paddywagon Man
2017-05-18, 05:00 PM
Hosni pulls a gold piece out of his bag of holding and puts it in the boatman's hand.

This should more than cover the group, I believe. Alchemist's quarter, if you would be so kind."

He then turns to Nadiyah, pondering the use of the spell she mentioned.

"I'm sure there must be at least one fine mirror in a city this large, even an impoverished one, and we've got enough people to delegate tasks out. Enver here has a fine nose for business, I'm sure he could pick one up for you given a little time. As for an object with a connection to Lantern Man... hopefully Refrum will be able to provide something. Otherwise, I suppose we could visit the city morgue and use the body of one of his victims."

kinem
2017-05-18, 11:08 PM
The boatman is broad shouldered and middle aged; he does not have the Redface. He takes one look at the tiger and begins to object, but when handed a gold coin, he nods and gets to work on the ropes.

Eleanor Loveage tells you "Master Refrum is an inventor as well as a priest. There are no temples in the city. He may be eccentric, but he's a good man, and that's hard to find nowadays. I heard that he helps people so I asked him to help my brother Jarme. Sometimes Refrum cures the sick, but it's not worth doing that for the Redface. It's just a nuisance that comes and goes and you'd catch it again soon enough."

After a cramped but mercifully short journey, the boat docks at a pier on the other side of the artificial harbor. From there, Eleanor leads you to Master Refrum's workshop.

Iron chimneys belch foul vapors and smoke into the air from the massive stoves used to boil and bake nefarious ingredients, and more solid wastes are simply tossed into the waters that surround this quarter. This has caused a large section of this region to become so clogged with refuse and silt that the water has transformed into swaths and channels of reeking mud. Still, you see a few desperate folks wallowing in the filth, scrounging for something of value that a careless alchemist might have tossed out with the trash.

Of the people you pass, most are human, with the rest being of the other common races. About half seem to suffer from the Redface.

Eleanor leads you to a modest wood and brick building and knocks on the door. It is answered by a slight, bent and aging figure who wears a simple gray robe.

"Eleanor? You're always welcome my dear but what's all this?"

"Master Refrum, these are good people. They just arrived in town and they offered to help clear Jarme's name."

"Oh. Well then come in and let's talk. I don't want that tiger in my workshop though."

The home is humble and cluttered with half-finished clockwork inventions, the air thick with the smell of grease and metal. Hundreds of books line every available inch of shelf-space, and a tiny bed, itself covered with books, sits in the corner of the room.

"So you want to catch the Lantern Man? You may not know but for the past six months he's killed one victim a week and leaves the mutilated corpses in public places. Very regular, very frightening to the city. Now Jarme, he was a good man, a fisherman. They found him bent over the body of a victim, dagger in hand, covered with blood. So they hung him. No trial and they wouldn't let me speak to his corpse. The City Council's corrupt you know, and the city guards too. Jarme said he didn't remember killing anyone, and I believe him. Oh, his hands probably did the deed mind you. I think he was enchanted."

TankLaser007
2017-05-19, 12:21 AM
Ren looks towards Hosni and winks, "Enchanted you say? So he was acting under the influence of another. As if his will had been over powered? What exactly makes you believe this? And it seems that regardless of the possibility that he was influenced or somehow compelled he did, in fact, actually commit this murder." he raises and eybrow as he looks to Eleanor, "I was led to believe he was free of any guilt."

The young man runs a finger of the surface of one of the tables, his nose wrinkling in disgust at the residue as he rubs his finger and thumb together, "We were informed you are a priest, Master Refrum, you wear the frock of what church? And do you have any inclination at all as to who the 'real' murder might be, the one 'pulling the puppets' strings' as it were?"

"Also might you have anything to eat? My associates and I are a bit peckish. Or at least I am. I tend to think better on a full stomach."

Ren looks back and forth between Eleanor and Refrum trying to discern if they are concealing any other important bits of pertinent information.

[roll0]

Jormengand
2017-05-19, 08:05 AM
Nadiyah had gone in with the others, leaving Khuram outside. Listening to the conversation, she scowled a little bit at Renjun. "Oh, come on. Anyone with the slightest understanding of enchantments knows that the target can hardly be considered at fault for anything they do. So yes, I feel it's accurate to say that he's free of any guilt."

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2017-05-19, 09:55 AM
Granthar

Granthar nods in agreement with Nadiyah. "Aye, if its true then he had no real control or guilt. This does throw a shovel into our plans though, might be harder to stop than we first thought. Or at least be much more dangerous than a 'common' murderer" Granthar added in. Granthar preemptively declines any food or drink - remembering the alchemical mess outside. "This, umm, might not be the best venue for food and drink. " he advises.

Paddywagon Man
2017-05-19, 11:26 AM
"Yes, it'll be harder to track down a spellcasting mastermind than a conventional assassin - and mental domination is a difficult trick, so we're looking at a fairly powerful caster. We do have a few advantages though - Eleanor said the killings were very regular, and there's no reason to expect the pattern will stop just because of our arrival. Refrum, can you tell us when the next killing is going to be?"

As he speaks, Hosni has been counting out 100 platinum pieces and a couple of silvers from his bag of holding. He puts the platinum and his psicrystal in a small bag and hands it to Enver.

"Head on back to the Market where we first arrived, will you? See if you can find a few of those nice people from earlier to show you around. Get the finest mirror you can find, and leave the crystal with one of those tough-looking thugs from the crowd."

He sends Enver on his way, along with the five elves as escorts.

J-H
2017-05-19, 12:14 PM
Max

Not ever having cared much about Enchantment magic, Max doesn't have a lot to add to the technical discussion. "Simple charms would not be enough to cause a murder, right? We are looking for a magic-user around as powerful as us. Surely someone like that can't go un-noticed, if only due to the quality of equipment or money they are likely to have."

kinem
2017-05-19, 09:14 PM
Eleanor begins to sob as Ren casts aspersions on her brother.

As far as you can tell, Refrum is telling the truth.

Master Refrum says "Eleanor, it'll be alright. Stay strong.

I am a priest of Fharlanghn, god of travel. The Styes is a way point for many travelers.

Food? Ah yes, forgive my manners. Although I don't have much on hand as I live alone, I do have oatmeal and boiled water. You are welcome to partake of it.

The evidence so far is, first of all, after Jarme's execution yesterday there has been another murder in the same style as the others. It could be a copycat, true, but if the murders had stopped that would have been a strike against the idea of enchantment, so the fact that they didn't is evidence in its favor. If I'm right there will be another such murder five to seven days from now.

Then there is the way that the authorities have handled the case. The city guard is not very skilled, perhaps, but they have been singularly inept in this case. No arrest for six months of weekly slayings - with all of the bodies found in public places - until the killer was caught red handed by chance?

And then, when a suspect is finally in hand - execution without trial. And neither Eleanor nor myself were allowed to talk with him while he was being held. Only at the hanging did I get to hear him speak. I was not allowed to cast a spell to speak with his corpse either. In fact, he was cremated immediately after the hanging. The fact is, I got angry about it, and they threatened to incarcerate me.

All this smacks of a conspiracy if you ask me. Either some high-up is behind it, or enough officials have been bribed that the government won't allow the truth to come out.

My hands are tied now since they've labeled me as a known troublemaker, but you they don't know so you have a better chance. There are two places where I suggest further investigation.

Jarme was held for a few days before his execution at the Hopene’er Asylum. It's a prison, as well as a lunatic asylum. Perhaps he said something to someone there.

Constable Jute is the City Guardsman who found Jarme with the victim. The fact that he made the arrest suggests to me that he was not part of the conspiracy. You could probably track down Jute at the City Garrison. Maybe he saw or heard something of interest."

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2017-05-19, 09:59 PM
Granthar

"Hrm, either corruption, inept, someone in power is in on it, or most likely they know something and are trying to hide it and prevent a panic - or a weird combination of all of that. No matter how you slice it, its all trouble." Granthar nods his head slowly. "sounds like we may need to be subtle and walk softly. I confess I'm not very subtle at all." Granthar hefts up his weapon to emphasis his point. "Good news is we have several days to make progress."

TankLaser007
2017-05-20, 01:50 AM
Renjun

The boy makes a face at the mention of the foods available from Master Refrum's pantry. "On the first point I should clarify. Jarme, whether compelled magically or through more mundane means, did appear to have actually committed the crime. It seems he did, in fact, kill at least one victim by his own hands -- if not by his independent agency. This distinction should have been made clear sooner."

"If everything else is as our Fharlanghn clergyman has described it then yes it would appear that there are quite likely to be some level of complacency regarding this incident. However if we are already entertaining the prospect that there is an actor involved that is capable of compelling others to murder at its behest, might it not also be both possible and feasible that this same individual or individuals are also capable of likewise compelling the authorities."

"It could be less a matter of bribery and collusion and the more sinister and dangerous possibility of a very powerful individual influencing the minds of others."

Ren's eyes flick towards Hosni. "I believe master Dvorak is quite knowledgeable in this field. And there are many many means by which the mind can be influenced by external forces. We should tread very carefully here."

"I concur with Granthar, not all of us here are best suited to intercourse of a social nature, I prefer my interactions to be a bit more... physical."

"Master Refrum, is there a reputable, clean and well stocked Inn where a traveller and wayfarer might seek refuge from the wearisome road? One with a more diverse assortment of foods and drinks?"

kinem
2017-05-20, 10:28 AM
Master Refrum replies "The Styes is no longer much of a tourist destination, but in the Merchants' Quarter you could find some halfway decent inns. You might try the Pigstye. Despite the name, it should be clean enough."

Paddywagon Man
2017-05-20, 10:43 AM
"Yes, I agree that subtlety is going to be important going forward - especially against an enchanter. If this Lantern Man learns about our investigations, the best way to derail them would be to enchant one of us the way he did Jarme. We should take precautions against such an event, and keep our search as quiet as possible.

It also seems to me that we should have a cover story for our presence. If the rest of you are agreeable to the idea, I could pose as an exiled, eccentric nobleman with the rest of you as my guards and entourage. Under this guise I could even purchase some property here to set up in - I'd rather not risk staying somewhere as public as an inn, and I expect property would be rather cheap in such a locale."

TankLaser007
2017-05-20, 11:21 AM
"I am quite, agreeable to such a proposition. If we are to keep up the ruse we will have to live the lifestyle. A few courtesans, servants, cooks a valet and the property would have to be one suitable for someone of our standing."

Ren runs has hands over his silk garments and dusts off the brocade. "Seeing as only the two of us could feasibly pass as members of any nobility. Might I suggest I take on the role of your adopted air apparent?"

Ren, absolutely beaming for the first time since arriving looks to the priest, "So where might we procure suitable property to establish as our estate?"

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2017-05-20, 01:34 PM
Granthar

"Uhh a couple problems with that plan. Number one, ten minutes ago you were in the docks proudly proclaiming you were going to look into the murders in front of like 50 people. Number two, well there isn't a number two. Oh wait, right number two, I'm not interested in pretending to be your servant. " Granthar says gruffly holding up a finger.

"Though perhaps if you take a tour of the city and loudly proclaim to solve all its troubles, we can make you look flightly, like an elf. We should clean up the water, build better schools, rebuild the bridges bring in more trade etc. Make it clear you are just spouting off on what ever people want to hear and that you are a big fool and charleton and basically harmless to the status quo "

"Or you know, maybe we can just cut back on the public speeches telling the common folk what we are up to." Granthar shrugs. "Which ever."

J-H
2017-05-20, 01:42 PM
Max

"Sometimes a cold wind just comes along and blows all the hot air right out of someone's mouth, doesn't it?"

kinem
2017-05-20, 02:30 PM
Master Refrum says "Attracting too much attention is not without risk. The four members of the City Council - Dory, Rashlen, Sliris, and Thornwell - are the most powerful men in town, and in my opinion, only out for themselves. They are constantly at each others' throats. If there is a new force in town, they might see that as a threat, or try to turn it to advantage against one of their rivals.

If you do wish to purchase a manor house, the High Quarter is probably your best bet. It's where the rich folks used to live, before most of them left town. Now it has a lot of big houses with solitary residents."

TankLaser007
2017-05-20, 02:43 PM
Ren narrows his eyes into catlike slits as he stares at the Dwarf.

"Dear Master Granthar... what have you against fine proper living -- in the perhaps vain hopes of making this insufferable place tolerable. If the man wishes to purchase for us a place of respite and rest than by all means let us not come in the way of such beneficial pursuits. Should it have the added benefit of assisting in our investigations then I say All the better. Do you really wish to return to the hellish quasi life we have so recently been liberated from. I shudder at the thought of such a place named the 'Pigsty' can not be much better than the Arriba which I would not wish upon my greatest of foes."

"That is unless you actually enjoyed living on that leaky old tub. Besides you would not play the roll of servant, perhaps Master at arms or chief of security. We will of course be hiring real servants. And better I would wager not be paying for them." He winks at Hosni. "Master Max and Mistress Nadiyah would no doubt be esteemed advisers, and the rest, Eva and the elves round out Granthar's guard. I rather think it fitting our Master Dwarf to be the one directing them" he continues with a sly smile. "As for the rest they can take on the roles of porters and what not."

"As for these four masters of the city who our gracious host has mentioned, then I think would should make their acquaintance after the acquisition of suitable lodgings. Why not throw a party? It has been a while, and would allow us access to all of the players and to make ourselves known in a non treating environment -- everyone loves a good soirée"

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2017-05-20, 04:14 PM
Granthar

Granthar opened his mouth to object and then promptly closed it. "Why the more I think of it the better it sounds. A lavish party to celebrate the end of the killing." Granthar wasn't sure if he liked the idea of the party because of the food and drink or because it would further their investigation. Perhaps a little of both.

"I have no desire to set foot on the Arriba ever again - or return to the place that made the Arriba look like a good idea."

Paddywagon Man
2017-05-21, 11:54 AM
"Calm yourself Granthar, the exiled lord thing was only an idea. If the rest of you dislike it, I won't belabor the issue. Although young master Ren here already seems more attached to the idea than I am.

As for the public speech - yes, I agree that's unfortunate. Against a traditional assassin, having our presence known could almost be advantageous, but knowing we face an enchanter I quite regret the whole ordeal. However, I still think the lordship plan has some degree of merit - and even if we decide against the whole charade, owning a house to set up privately in would certainly be preferable to a public inn."

Jormengand
2017-05-21, 02:44 PM
"We can look like dragons if we really want - or at least some of us can, for a limited time - but what good it does us is another matter.

Although I suppose a dragon would be just the right thing to get a powerful person to show themself, I suppose, but that's perhaps not particularly likely in this instance."

kinem
2017-05-21, 04:21 PM
Eleanor finally gets ahold of herself. "Just catch whoever's behind this, please."

Master Refrum says "Yes, I am very glad you folks are willing to help. Any more questions right now?"

Paddywagon Man
2017-05-21, 10:29 PM
"No questions at the moment, but if you would be agreeable to the idea I should like to set up a telepathic connection between us - no enchantment, simply a way for us to communicate at a distance.

And Nadiyah, please don't speak in riddles about dragons, you're better at them than I am. If you don't like the exiled lord idea, simply say so. I still feel that Ren's idea for the soiree has some potential however, and if there is no further disagreement I shall send Ororo and Eva to find a living space to purchase that will suit our needs.

In the meantime, a meeting with this Constable Jute would probably be the best use of our time. How do we get to the City Garrison, master Refrum?"

[roll0]

Hosni then wild surges for 2 points and manifests extended (200 minute) mindlinks with Eva and Refrum (assuming Refrum is agreeable, of course).

[roll1]

kinem
2017-05-22, 04:46 PM
Master Refrum hesitates. "I've never done any telepathy before. Are you sure it's necessary? Well ... If you think it will help I guess I'm willing to try it.

The City Garrison is in the Merchants' Quarter. It's south of the main Marketplace, down Main Street."

TankLaser007
2017-05-22, 08:57 PM
"I do so love parties. Good food and drink and a charming woman of wit and elegance can make even the most loathsome of environs tolerable." he looks to Hosni, "Do have the little gnome -- I forget their names, you've so many, do have him find us a sturdy, clean abode. He is quite capable and one of your more competent devotees."

Looking back to Refrum, "Are there are distinguishing features know to you for Constable Jute? And how far from here are the garrisons?"

kinem
2017-05-22, 09:57 PM
Master Refrum replies "All I know about Constable Jute is his name. Everyone wanted to know who caught the Lantern Man, so they had to tell us that much.

The Garrison is on the other side of town, Merchant's Quarter as I said. I would recommend taking a boat."

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2017-05-23, 08:41 PM
Granthar

"Do we have any more questions before we move on and question the guard? " Granthar asked no one in particular.

Paddywagon Man
2017-05-24, 12:05 AM
Hosni is already on his feet and moving towards the door.

"Telepathy, dear Granthar. If we have more questions to ask of Master Refrum, distance is no longer an object. So unless you deem the gruel worth staying for, we'd best be on our way."

Even as he speaks physically to Granthar, Hosni is already giving Eva her instructions through the telepathic bond with practiced efficiency. "Head down to the High Quarter and pick out an abode suitable for our needs and comfort. I'll meet you there for the purchase once we finish our preliminary investigation."

Guido and Ororo follow him as he saunters out the door towards the ferryman, Guido puffing a little in his heavy armour.

J-H
2017-05-24, 10:52 PM
Max

Max follows in the wake of the others, as a cloud follows in the wake of a forceful gust of wind.

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2017-05-24, 11:19 PM
Granthar

Granthar just nods an affirmative at Hosni.

TankLaser007
2017-05-24, 11:25 PM
Ren is much more careful now that they are travelling without most of the elves. He once again covers his mouth and nose as they return to the caustic and pungent alchemical wasteland.

kinem
2017-05-25, 10:44 PM
This boat is crewed by a family of half-orcs: a married couple, and two teenage sons. It is a cramped trip but over soon enough.

ooc: Who paid for this boat ride?

Main street is busting with foot traffic, many of whom bear bundles - and many of whom bear the Redface.

Following Master Refrum's directions, you are soon in front of the large three-story building that serves as the City Garrison. In front of the building stands a gallows - perhaps the very place where Jarme was executed yesterday.

A few Guardsmen patrol the area; they wear badges on their chain shirts and bear saps and longswords. They appear to be fairly young. They seem a bit wary of the presence of your group, but haven't approached you.

ooc: Who will enter the City Garrison?

TankLaser007
2017-05-25, 11:50 PM
Ren removes a gold piece from his pouch and he gives it to one of the teens. "Wait for us, we won't be long." he says getting off with the rest. He looks around and then to Hosni, "What do you think about us notifying the watch as to our presence? Gentlemen of standing in the process of acquiring an estate, we heard a member of their guard recently captured a notorious killer and we had hoped to meet the man, perhaps offering him work as a local insider and advisor to our house guard What do you think?" Ren keeps his eyes busy scanning the crowd, as well as the guard themselves that have seemed to have taken more than a passing interest in their group.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Paddywagon Man
2017-05-26, 01:00 PM
"I like the idea, Ren - and it gives us reason enough to be here. I'd like to have our actual meeting with Jute be as private as possible, though. Refrum's description of the guard force didn't exactly fill me with confidence.

Jute is likely either in on the crime, or the unwitting patsy of someone who is. Figuring that out is just as important as anything he has to say to us, so be watchful."

Hosni strides up to the guardsmen at the door as if he owned the place.

"You, there! Fetch us Constable Jute, please. We've business to discuss with him, and we haven't all day."

He has a "no questions" sort of look in his eyes.

[roll0]

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2017-05-26, 01:12 PM
Granthar

Granthar stands a few feet back and tries to keep an eye out for anything odd. Better give'em room to work he thinks to himself.

kinem
2017-05-26, 06:45 PM
The Guard at the door is a young human man with dark hair, dressed and equipped like the others. He looks healthy.

When Hosni demands to see Constable Jute he seems a bit confused. He replies "Sir, who are you and what is your business? I can inquire if Constable Jute is here and wishes to see you, but not without that information."

ooc: Note that Intimidate (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/intimidate.htm) requires 1 min of interaction, and does not force the target to do anything he wouldn't do for a friend, and makes him hostile afterward. The conditions that would allow Hosni to roll an Intimidate check do not currently exist in this situation.

Paddywagon Man
2017-05-26, 10:20 PM
ooc - sorry about that, the in-person campaign I play in is pretty slack with rules so I sometimes forget stuff like that.

"Oh, I'm sorry! Where are my manners? You see, I heard about his splendid job in catching that Lantern Man villain, and wished to give him my heartiest congratulations. And maybe a reward as well - that killer being in jail has been a huge load off our minds."

[roll0]

kinem
2017-05-27, 08:45 AM
ooc: As noted in the 16, we're using Rich Burlew's Diplomacy (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=9606632&postcount=2).

The Guard frowns, but the mention of a reward seems to perk him up and bring a sudden gleam to his eye.

"Listen, we're trying to forget that whole case and get back to normal business, all right? But I'd be willing to pass along a reward to him, only seems fair, hah hah. After all the city hardly pays us enough."

ooc: Probably don't need to mention it, but Hosni gets a sense that the reward is unlikely to reach its intended recipient :smallbiggrin:

Paddywagon Man
2017-05-28, 11:05 PM
ooc - I know we're doing Rich Burlew, but even so I feel like that would have been successful - the guard has no particular quarrel with us, and (unless I'm completely misreading the situation) taking us to see Jute isn't a very dangerous task.

"I think I see what you're doing, son, and I won't have any of it. If you mean to profit off my generosity, please direct me to Constable Jute and you can hit him up for a share once I've given it to him. Or I might spare a gold or two if you're quick and allow me to see him promptly - as I said before, we are in a bit of a hurry."

I also use my inquisitor feat to check the guard's previous statement of "we just want to get that behind us and back to business as usual". Is there anything more to it than that?

1d20+17

kinem
2017-05-29, 08:05 AM
Hosni gets the sense that the Guard is indeed not being fully forthcoming regarding wanting to get the Lantern Man business behind them.

The Guard says "I hope your not suggesting some kind of dishonesty on my part. You should know that falsely accusing a City Guard of corruption is a serious offense.

That said, we are not forbidden from accepting gifts, just not bribes of course. If you show your good intentions towards me" he holds up five fingers with the practiced ease of a habitual bribe taker "I suppose I could introduce you to Constable Jute."

Paddywagon Man
2017-05-29, 11:15 AM
"Well I must say, you lot seem to do pretty well for yourselves, considering the city doesn't pay you enough. you must get a lot of "gifts", I suppose".

Hosni counts out 5 gold and reluctantly hands it out to the guard.

kinem
2017-05-29, 11:47 AM
The Guardsman replies as he takes the coins "Well, occasionally grateful citizens might reward us for our 'honesty and integrity'. Just remember, offering to bribe a City Guardsman is a crime. Wait here."

He enters the building. About five minutes later, another human Guardsman shows up. He has the same uniform and equipment as the others.

He says "Hello. I am Constable Jute. Are you the guy who was looking for me? If so, let's take a walk."

Paddywagon Man
2017-05-29, 06:13 PM
"Pleased to meet you! We did indeed wish to speak with you, and a walk would be lovely. I'd rather get away from all this noise."
Hosni sizes Jute up quickly. Does he seem to be in on things? Given his hurry to get away from the rest of the guards I would think not, but I check anyways.

[roll0]

kinem
2017-05-29, 07:16 PM
The Constable says "Right. And who are you?"

He seems a bit apprehensive, but not hostile.

ooc: So where do you go - just walk around? And, who else goes with you?

Paddywagon Man
2017-05-30, 02:57 PM
"My name's Hosni Dvorak, and these are my esteemed comrades Ren, Granthar, Nadiyah,
Max, and Ororo. We've been thinking of moving to the Styes - a spot of exile, you know the drill - and a concerned party felt that we should get him some information on the Lantern Man affair. Once we're out of earshot, I'd very much appreciate a description of your arrest of Jarme."

I start walking towards the High Quarter. Eva's there, and it sounds like it's the least populated one. I tell Jute where we're going if he asks, but don't mention Eva.

kinem
2017-05-30, 05:37 PM
Constable Jute looks more nervous at that. He says "Ah ... nice to meet you. I'm heading out for a patrol, and we can walk and talk for a little while about all that the city has to offer."

Once you are a few blocks away and on a fairly isolated street he says "Honestly, I wouldn't recommend moving here. It's not healthy here.

The arrest ... the arrest of Jarme was just a bit of luck. I was out on night patrol and I took a different route than usual. Around a corner I saw a guy holding a lantern and dragging something. Immediately I guessed what was going on. I told him to stop and put his hands on his head. He offered no resistance. Sure enough he had blood on his hands and dagger. The dead man was mutilated beyond recognition, stabbed more than what it took to kill him. I guess that Jarme guy was a real evil freak, but when I caught him, he just stayed calm and let me take him in.

What worries me though is that last night there was another murder much like the others. My guess is that Jarme had an accomplice who is carrying on the spree. Officially though, the case is considered closed. For now, that's all I know."

Constable Jute seems very nervous as he discusses the case.

Paddywagon Man
2017-05-30, 06:53 PM
First things first - Inquisitor on all that jazz.

[roll0]

After sizing Jute's statement up with his psionically-enhanced senses, Hosni takes a quick stop to refocus his mind, attempting to pass it off as a bout of nausea (Move Action to regain Psionic Focus).

"Ah, sorry about that. The air in this place makes my head spin sometimes."

[roll1]

ooc-Jute seems trustworthy enough but I want to be as sure as possible before continuing.

kinem
2017-05-30, 07:09 PM
Hosni gets a sense that Jute seems afraid to talk about the Lantern Man case.

"Like I said. Not healthy here."

Jute doesn't seem to notice what Hosni really did.

Paddywagon Man
2017-05-30, 07:32 PM
"Don't worry yourself on my account. I'm more interested in the case. Ren - you've got keen eyes, make sure we're not attracting any undue followers."

Guido switches to a sense aura, giving +1 to Spot, Listen and Initiative for all of us.

Once we're a good way away from the station and not being followed or listened in on, I cut to the chase with the questions.

"I'm wondering if you found anything suspicious about the arrest or the subsequent handling of the case. While I did not know Jarme personally, what I've heard about him makes it seem unlikely he did the murder of his own volition, and your description of the arrest does little to dispel the idea he might have been enchanted.
Where did you find Jarme? And what caused you to take a different route? I get the feeling you may be a little apprehensive regarding the case, and the other guard I spoke to seemed to be hiding something. I'm not suggesting you are involved in any sort of cover-up, but there has been a lot of suspicious activity revolving around this case."

kinem
2017-05-30, 08:35 PM
Constable Jute replies "Mind control? Do you really think that exists?

I didn't have any special reason for taking that route. Just felt like a change.

I don't know why I'm telling you all this. I guess ... I guess I just felt the need to tell somebody.

We Guardsmen have been ordered to not talk about the Lantern Man case. I could really get in trouble for this. But the fact is, money talks in this town. I think that probably the commanding officers were bribed to give that order.

I was thinking of checking out the recent crime scenes. If there is another man involved, maybe he left a clue."

TankLaser007
2017-05-30, 11:47 PM
Ren keeps his eyes peeled for any pursuers, tails or otherwise unsavoury individuals.

[roll0]

Paddywagon Man
2017-05-31, 01:14 PM
ooc - Ren, don't forget about the +1 from the sense aura! I mean, 26 is more than likely enough for anything that would be tailing us, but every bonus helps. Also I just noticed that while you have great Spot and Listen, the only one of us with Search is my thrall, who's currently checking out the local housing market. Poor division of labour on my part

"If you intend to examine the newer crime scenes, we would like to accompany you if possible. Could you tell me where this last crime occurred? There's another member of our group who might be able to help in such an investigation, and I'll send her a message to meet us there."

Hosni quickly checks in with Eva and Enver (via his mindlink and psicrystal, respectively) to check on the progress of their tasks and possibly give new instructions.

kinem
2017-05-31, 05:45 PM
Constable Jute knows the neighborhood well and he's led you onto a fairly quiet residential street, away from the crowds of the marketplace. As far as Ren can tell, none of the few passersby are paying any special attention to your group.

Jute says "The place where I caught Jarme isn't far from here. I'll take you there now, if you like.

The most recent murder was over in the Alchemists' Quarter, on the other side of town. In general the murders have been all over the city. Of course, Jarme was a fisherman, and it's easy enough for anybody to get a boat ride across town."

Enver reports that he's found a suitable mirror, while Eva has not yet found a suitable abode but is pursuing a few possibilities.

Paddywagon Man
2017-05-31, 11:25 PM
"Hmm... if the place you found Jarme is as close as you say I wouldn't mind taking a look at it first, but I feel like the more recent crime scene would be more likely to further our investigation. I'll tell my associate to meet us there. In the meantime... lead on, Jute."

Hosni telepathically contacts Enver, telling him to leave the mirror with Refrum and then take over Eva's task. Eva's to wait with Refrum until we get to the Alchemist's Quarter ourselves and direct her to the crime scene. I let Refrum know this in advance as well, a little apologetically.

kinem
2017-06-01, 04:59 PM
Constable Jute brings you to a side street a few blocks away.

"It was here. I rounded this corner and Jarme and the victim were right there. I think he was planning to leave the body on the wider street we just left. As you may know, all of the bodies have been left in very public locations. There was blood on the street, but it's been scrubbed. I don't know what I hoped to find, but I admit I don't see anything that could be helpful."

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2017-06-01, 05:14 PM
"Was anything missing from the victim ? head ? organs ? blood? money?" Granthar asks. He wasn't sure if any of that had been covered off already as he wasn't paying full attention to all the talk.

Paddywagon Man
2017-06-01, 08:21 PM
"So this is where you found Jarme, then... do you have any idea where the murder itself might have happened? Any important locations nearby?"

kinem
2017-06-01, 09:08 PM
Constable Jute replies "Granthar, good question, but not as far as I know. The victim had a few coins in his pocket, as did Jarme.

There is a dock a few blocks away. There was a boat there that night, but by the time the Guard decided to take it into custody later that morning, it was gone. Might have been unrelated, might have been stolen. It's not uncommon for items taken as evidence - or that were supposed to be - to end up in someone's pocket.

In my head, I see them getting off the boat. It's dark and Jarme has a lantern so they walk together. Probably joke about the Lantern Man. He leads the guy to this quiet street, then stabs him.

The truth? Who knows. Maybe the guy was just walking along and never spoke with Jarme. I doubt though that Jarme would have dragged the body more than a block or two."

Paddywagon Man
2017-06-01, 09:28 PM
"Hmmm... Nadiyah, I know you're good at divination - and you've got the eagle eyes, Ren. Perhaps one of you could turn something up? Otherwise, we might be best to go back to the Alchemist's Quarter to take a look at the more recent crime scene. We can always come back here later if we need."

TankLaser007
2017-06-01, 10:35 PM
"Let's move along shall we? I am a bit eager to see our new lodgings."

Ren gives the area a once over looking for anything amiss, before the head along their way.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Jormengand
2017-06-02, 11:33 AM
"Hmmm... Nadiyah, I know you're good at divination - and you've got the eagle eyes, Ren. Perhaps one of you could turn something up? Otherwise, we might be best to go back to the Alchemist's Quarter to take a look at the more recent crime scene. We can always come back here later if we need."

"I can only find someone of whom I have firsthand knowledge. I can see invisible people, I can detect and understand magical phenomena, and I can view locations, but not the location of a specific person without a mirror... and some decent knowledge of them, preferably."

Paddywagon Man
2017-06-02, 02:52 PM
"Well, I believe Enver has the mirror you need, but we still know precious little about this Lantern Man. Perhaps the newer crime scene will uncover something more useful."

kinem
2017-06-02, 05:23 PM
Ren doesn't notice anything out of the ordinary.

"See invisible people? That doesn't make any sense to me. Wouldn't that make them visible? But I don't know much about magic" Constable Jute admits.

"Well, I know where the new crime scene is. If we're going to see it, the sooner the better. Let's go back and get a boat to the Alchemists' Quarter."

ooc: Anything else before fast forwarding there? Also, as usual, boat rides cost coin.

Paddywagon Man
2017-06-03, 01:08 AM
nothing else I can think of. if nobody else wants to do anything I guess we go.

There's 9 of us counting Jute, the tiger and my followers, so I guess a silver would cover us. I'll pay - and diplomacy if getting the tiger on is a problem.

TankLaser007
2017-06-03, 01:53 AM
I asked the orcish family to wait for us here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=22032403&postcount=53). Gave him a GOLD piece in hopes it would encourage them to wait AND have the bonus as serving as a "line of credit" for future travel. Whether they waited or not is up to them but both Hosni and I are walking around in clothes that are worth 75 gold. With an entourage so I am pretty sure we look like we have money to spend.

Paddywagon Man
2017-06-03, 10:33 AM
ooc - oh yeah, nice. I guess we did take a while, but not that long. although I feel like they would only wait if in expectation of further payment, so doesn't hurt to have a silver ready anyways.

kinem
2017-06-03, 11:00 AM
The family of half-orcs is indeed still waiting for you, but naturally they hope for additional payment for their patience. Having been given a gold before, the father grudgingly takes Hosni's silver, and they sail you across the bay to the Alchemists' Quarter.

Finding your way back to Master Refrum's abode is not too difficult, and you pick up Eva there.

ooc: Everyone in the current group going to see the crime scene, plus Eva?

Constable Jute leads you deeper into the foul-smelling Alchemists' Quarter. Clanking sounds come from some of the smoke-spewing factories that you pass.

Jute checks the street signs and shops along the way. "I've patrolled this Quarter, but that was a couple of years ago. Now I'm mostly in the Merchants' Quarter."

The sky is overcast by the time you finally reach an alley in the northern end of the Quarter.

"I think this is the place. Hold on ... Yes, it's the place alright!"

The site is still spattered with blood and bits of stray tissue — the task of cleaning the site having been left to the rats and seagulls that now swarm in the area.

Paddywagon Man
2017-06-04, 11:56 AM
"Well, this Lantern Man certainly doesn't do anything in halves. The poor victim must have been torn to shreds, to leave so much gore behind."

Hosni then turns to Granthar.

"When you asked if any blood was taken... did you think we might be dealing with a vampire?
Obviously it's too early to jump to any conclusions. But I've heard tales of vampiric domination, and they certainly have the strength to make a scene like this."

Meanwhile, Eva begins thoroughly and methodically searching the crime scene.

[roll0]

ooc- should I make more than one roll? I think a search check only covers one 5-foot square. Also, goshdarn 24... my metagaming senses are tingling, Search DCs are always multiples of 5...

kinem
2017-06-04, 12:35 PM
After a painstaking search, Eva notices a faint set of strange tracks in the bloody dirt, partially obscured by the trampling action of gawkers and guards. She can't tell what left the tracks, but it wasn't boots.

ooc: Per the module, that required a DC 23 Search check :smallcool:

If you want to try to follow the tracks, Eva will need to make a DC 27 Survival check.

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2017-06-04, 04:04 PM
Granthar

Granthar nods towards Hosni and says gently. " My question was more broad than that. A missing head or brain might mean one 'family' of killers, a missing heart might be something different, blood might mean another family of possibilities. Even if it was only blood missing it would be way to early to narrow that down to 'vampires' or something. In my days I've across many things, too many things, that will take a man's head. More trying to categorize the carnage then put a specific name on it. Showing up expecting to fight a vampire and getting surprised by a dragon - Yer gonna have a bad time. Given the mess though it might be tough to tell with out a first hand examination. I'd rather be done with this mess before another body falls" Granthar just shrugs and returns to his brooding.

Granthar strokes his beard in thought. He much preferred an open battle field were an enemy identified itself for you and then you go and hit it with your axe.

TankLaser007
2017-06-04, 08:19 PM
Ren has always appreciated the Dwarf's experience, not only in martial matters but in the ways of the world. The Dwarf Warrblade seemed well seasoned and travelled and could always be relied upon to give sound advice and a stalwart defence. The young warrior ran his finger along the crystalline haft of his weapon and wondered if such creatures they spoke of could be harmed and slain like any other.

He noticed the Elf woman seemed to have picked up on something, and he struggled to see what it was amidst all of the debris and gore.

"What is it?" he asked her

J-H
2017-06-04, 08:32 PM
Max

"Mmm, faint traces. I could summon up a beast with a keen nose, but only for a minute or so."

Paddywagon Man
2017-06-04, 09:06 PM
Eva points out her findings to the group, and makes her best attempt to follow them.

(+2 if the quarry is a human, but judging by your description that seems unlikely.)

edit - as Eva begins slowly picking her way through the gore, following the faint tracks, Hosni flushes with pride.

"She was one of the finest scouts in the elven forests for many years before we met, and she's never given me reason to doubt her ability. Well done, Eva!"

Meanwhile, a little unnerved by the grisly scene, Hosni wild surges and manifests an empowered disruptive touch (12d6), holding the charge in case of trouble.

[roll=Psychic Enervation check]1d100

Paddywagon Man
2017-06-04, 09:57 PM
[roll0] (looks like you can't put new rolls in an edit)

kinem
2017-06-05, 11:16 PM
Following the faint tracks is not easy, but Eva seems equal to the task.

Curious locals watch your group as you make your way through the streets. Among them you notice a few street harlots, who don't seem bothered by the presence of a City Watchman - apparently the oldest trade is legal here.

Finally you approach a large lake of mud, on the edge of which is a warehouse, where the tracks seem to lead:

A vertical stone building rises from the cobbles, three stories high and dotted with iron-barred windows. The warehouse’s slate roof rises dizzily some 60 feet above, and in places its walls and roof seem to be coated with a bitumen black gruel with the viscosity of phlegm; encrustations from the pollution belching from nearby alchemist workshops. Behind the warehouse is a gray-green pit of mud. A huge rickety crane protrudes from the far wall of the warehouse, its limbs rusted arthritically. Dangling from it is a dripping ship hulk, hanging some fifty feet above the greasy mud below. A crude bridge attaches the crane to the ship’s deck but it looks a dizzy climb. A trough also connects the ship to a nearby water tower, and steam rises from places just as rivulets of water drain from the hull into the mud below.

You see some six-wheeled wagons coming into and leaving from the warehouse.

Constable Jute says "Uh oh. That place is Councilman Dory's warehouse. He's said to live in that old ship, and rarely goes out because he has some kind of skin problem.

This morning though, I heard that he visited the Garrison."

It's getting dark, and some workers appear to be starting to leave for the day.

TankLaser007
2017-06-06, 12:35 AM
The boy with the purple hued hair looks to Eva, "What ever you were tracking it went in there?" he asks pointing towards the building and boat.

"Councilman Dory you say? A diseased recluse, a man of power and high standing -- living in an old mud tub held aloft the city notwithstanding of course -- and just today he visits the garrison. Most intriguing indeed. This would be the garrison of the Watch or is there perhaps a more martial barracks for soldiers proper here in this 'fine' city of yours?"

He closes one eye and tilts his head while extending one arm towards the building then drawing an invisible line from ground to roof to the boat. "Around sixty feet or so..." the young man smiles to himself as slides he expertly crafted crossbow from its place benath his cloak, on his back to hand more easily accessible to his side, "...doable." he mutters to himself as he tightens the straps of his bolt holsters and gear.

He then looks to Hosni and then Jute, "Perhaps it would be an oprtune time for the constable to return to his duties elsewhere? You have been indispensable in your assistance. Should we find ourselves taking up a more permanent residence here we might be so inclined to offer you work as a consultant for our grounds guards or possibly work as head of the house guard... granted master Granthar here was agreeable." he scans the deck of the ship and it's crows nest as well as the rooftop for signs of patrols or guards As he waits for the others to chime in and Jute to reply.

[roll0] looking for visible signs of guards who are watching the roof or are on the roof.

Paddywagon Man
2017-06-06, 12:39 AM
"What is it they always say? It goes all the way to city hall?

Right now I want to know three things - what made those prints, what Dory was doing at the Garrison, and what's in those wagons. Now, Dory's not going anywhere, but the wagons are - we're going to need to know what they're carrying, and preferably where they're going.

I could try talking to them, but I'd rather not tip our hand early. Perhaps you could tail them, Ren? Or you, Nadiyah, in the guise of some innocuous animal? I can set up a mindlink like I did with Refrum, and back you up if need be."

As he runs through the group's options in his head, Hosni withdraws into a meditative mental state, rapidly memorizing the appearance of the prints for further reference.

[roll0]

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2017-06-06, 01:36 AM
Granthar

Granthar grunts noncommittally about the suggestion - though it sounded more like a 'yes' than a 'no'. "skin condition eh ?" Granthar repeats in an unconvinced manner. He retrieves his Falchion: off his back. "We should maybe check the low ground first." he motions towards warehouse. "No sense being too coy about it. I think we've gotten farther with the direct approach then we would have throwing a party. "

TankLaser007
2017-06-06, 04:40 AM
A shadow falls over Ren's face, "Wait. We aren't having a party?"

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2017-06-06, 08:53 AM
Granthar

Granthar sputters "Of course we are having a party."

Paddywagon Man
2017-06-06, 10:52 AM
"Come to think of it, a more direct approach just might be the most effective. Jute, can you use your city watchmen status to stop one of those wagons and investigate its contents?

And then perhaps we can take a little look around Dory's warehouse."

Jormengand
2017-06-06, 02:57 PM
"I could also turn one of you invisible and you can follow them. Or, given ten minutes - which we probably don't have - I can see inside the carts directly. Alternatively, I could use that to see inside the warehouse."

J-H
2017-06-06, 04:38 PM
Max

Max mutters a cantrip, and his eyes take on a faint glow. He begins to look around at the wagons, the warehouse, etc., to see if anything magical is about.

"We could simply teleport over there... or walk. I don't think anyone would stop us."

kinem
2017-06-06, 06:12 PM
Constable Jute says "Hold on. As far as I'm concerned, our investigation hit a dead end. Tracking a lone killer is one thing, but I don't want to get in trouble over my head. I have a family and my kids need a father. Whatever you guys want to do, I want no part of it.

As for the wagons, that's normal, it's a warehouse. I'm sure they carry the usual things - goods coming in to the city to be sold, or exports like fancy paints and alchemical stuff like sunrods. People pay to store that stuff here while it waits to be shipped or sold.

It's been a pleasure, but I'm late to report in anyway. Good bye my friends, good luck, and perhaps we will meet again."

With that, he turns and begins the walk back towards the docks.

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2017-06-06, 08:32 PM
Granthar

Granthar waves goodbye. He glances over at the warehouse. "We could just save ourselves some time and burn it down." Granthar grins. "We should inquire about renting storage space and need to confirm its a secure location or something - having valuables shipped in for our new estate or what you. surprise inspection either that or we kick in the door and start 'axing' questions"

Paddywagon Man
2017-06-07, 12:47 PM
"If we're planning on staying here for any length of time, I'd rather not invade or burn down the property of a city counselor unless we're sure we know what's going on. There are still too many unanswered questions for my liking.

Don't forget, we haven't gone to Hopene'er yet, and that seemed like a very promising lead. I propose we go to Hopene'er first, then retire to our new lodgings for Nadiyah to cast her Scrying spell. We can leave Eva or Ororo here to watch the comings and goings from the warehouse and alert me via telepathy if anything unusual happens.

Then, once we have a better idea of what we're facing, we can ambush this creature or invade Dory's warehouse under the cover of darkness.

But I'll defer to your judgement if you feel an immediate response is necessary."

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2017-06-07, 03:53 PM
Granthar

"Tracks lead here, we should at least look around as much as possible. If they send us on our way so be it. Literally no point in turning around now. Why bother follow tracks in the first place if you aren't going to hunt the deer? " Granthar asks rhetorically.

TankLaser007
2017-06-07, 08:05 PM
Ren becomes preoccupied with running his hand along the curve of his deep crystal weapon. When Jute makes to leave he raises his head and brings his hand up in a mock salute, "Much obliged and many thanks Jute, we look forward to future dealings with you."

Paddywagon Man
2017-06-07, 08:07 PM
"Maybe if the deer had a fixed base of operations and the ability to have us thrown out of the city or executed, Granthar. Obviously we're going to invade the warehouse, but I'd rather wait until we have a better idea of what we're facing or what this Dory's involvement looks like.

That said, though... these wagons might be a good place to start. Max, you said you could summon something to sniff the trail out - could you summon something to spook the horses pulling the wagons? Preferably something mundane like a dog to minimize suspicion."

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2017-06-07, 10:13 PM
Granthar

Granthar grunted and nodded. He put away his weapon, at least for now. "I don't think I agree but we can do it your way. My way would limit our choices down the road, yours doesn't. We can always kill them all tomorrow." He sounds mildly disappointed, like a child that needs to clean up his room or eat his vegetables.

Paddywagon Man
2017-06-09, 11:08 AM
Hosni, happy to have Granthar's approval, dismisses his held touch attack. Kicking himself a little over his paranoia and the wasted psychic energy, he wild surges again (for 2) to set up extended mindlinks with Ororo and renew the one with Eva.

Mentally, he then instructs Ororo to turn into an eagle and watch the wagons, and Eva to stake out the warehouse, keeping a steady watch from somewhere secluded. They are both to mentally contact me in case of trouble or an interesting development.

[roll0]

"Alright, we've got eyes here now - let's head down to Hopene'er. We can pick up Nadiyah's mirror on the way."

Before turning to leave, Hosni takes a quick look at the other buildings in the area. Anything we could use as a vantage point without attracting too much attention?

kinem
2017-06-09, 06:46 PM
Facing Dory's warehouse across a wide street are other industrial buildings, none of which look particularly promising to watch from, though the roofs might serve.

After leaving Ororo and Eva to their tasks, the group heads back to Master Refrum's home. Eleanor is no longer there. The old priest greets you and inquires about your progress.

The large silver mirror that Enver bought has a peculiar frame with carvings of horned gargoyles surrounding the entire mirror.

ooc: Who is heading to Hopene'er Asylum? Also, another boat ride, another charge ...

Master Refrum gives you directions to the notorious prison/asylum, which is at the southern side of the High Quarter, and tells you that it's run by Physician Emil Trantor.

Hopene’er Asylum lies on Lamplicker’s Way, a twisting area of the Styes in the High Quarter. The Asylum is an old prison with bare walls and barred windows. A faded sign bearing the words, “Welcome Home” hangs above the Asylum’s main entrance.

The door creaks open and a young human man steps forth. He stares at you.

Paddywagon Man
2017-06-11, 11:00 AM
ooc - I'll cover the charge. And I assume we're all going to Hopene'er, unless Nadiyah wants to start her casting right away.

Hosni, not wishing to waste any time or money on another doorman, concentrates his psychic energy for a subtle attack on the man's mind. The rest of the group hears a telltale chime in their minds as Hosni makes the guard more malleable and open to suggestion. (Psionic Charm, DC 18)

"Hello, my good man! I'm sorry to bother you, but we're doing some important work as deputies for the watch. With your permission, could we please be allowed to tour this facility and question a few of the inmates?"

[roll0]

kinem
2017-06-11, 10:16 PM
The young doorman continues to stare at you for a while.

Finally he says "This way, pal."

He bids you enter a bare foyer room and slowly speaks. "I'm Brey. Who are you? I'll tell Physician Trantor. He's the boss. Wait here."

From the way he speaks, it would seem that the charmed boy is what some would call 'simple'.

He goes and returns with an old man with who has a worried brow and ashen gray skin.
"I'm Physician Trantor. Who are you and what is the meaning of this?"

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2017-06-11, 10:59 PM
Granthar

Granthar nearly opens his mouth to say something rude but manages to bite his tongue.

It's best if Granthar doesn't make first contact - or its going to be a short conversation.

Paddywagon Man
2017-06-12, 12:47 PM
"We're working with the watch on the Lantern Man case, sir. The suspect, Jarme, was kept here for a short while before his execution. We'd like to talk to anybody he might have had dealings with or shared a cell with to see if we can discover anything pertinent to the case. Did Jarme say anything memorable when you admitted him here?"

kinem
2017-06-12, 08:17 PM
The old man says "Working with the watch, are you? I have not had any notification. What proof do you have? You lot look like nothing so much as a pack of adventurers.

Besides, Jarme was caught red-handed. I see no reason to doubt his guilt."

He looks very nervous.

Jormengand
2017-06-12, 11:21 PM
Nadiyah sighs, and takes a few seconds to cast a spell, her hand twiddling at the pouch at her side as she hisses irritably in what sounds like some foreign language. Returning to Common, she adds: "Given the circumstances, I suggest that you allow us to look around and answer any questions we have, and I suggest that it wouldn't be worth your time to tell anyone that we were here afterwards."

Suggestion, Will DC 19 negates

kinem
2017-06-13, 07:21 PM
Physician Trantor tells the boy "Go to my office and wait there."

Brey protests "But my pal here ..."

"I said go now."

The boy exits the foyer as ordered.

Physician Trantor tells you "What is this? I know that you just tried to enchant me. Do you have any idea how rude that is? Not to mention illegal. Mental assault.

But I am a doctor, not a fighter. The Asylum has a few armed guards, but I am not stupid, I can see that they would be no match for you. So what do you really want? To release a prisoner? I will not resist that, I have no wish to die. Know this though, the City Council will investigate whatever happens here. They will hire mercenaries to hunt you down."

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2017-06-13, 08:00 PM
Granthar

Granthar laughs mightily. "Believe it or not, We don't wish to hurt anyone or interfere with your job. Forgive my friend, he can be a bit ..impatient. " It was clear that Granthar was amused.

Paddywagon Man
2017-06-13, 09:13 PM
Hosni sighs a little and looks apologetic.

"Well I won't lie to you sir, we do use enchantment to speed things along, and we're not with the watch in any official capacity. But I assure you that you aren't in any danger from us, and our intentions are noble.

We believe that Jarme himself might have been enchanted when he was picked up. You seem to have some experience with the art yourself, so I expect you've at least considered the possibility. And we just came back from investigating the scene of another murder that occurred after Jarme was taken in.

Whether Jarme was the Lantern Man, a copycat, or enchanted, it's clear that the case is still ongoing. And if you want to see case closed, I'd very much appreciate it if you would allow us to tour the facility and question the inmates.

You do want to see the case solved, don't you?"

Paddywagon Man
2017-06-13, 09:14 PM
[roll0]

Once Trantor responds, Hosni will be using Inquisitor to boost his sense motive and scrutinize Trantor (+17 Sense Motive).

TankLaser007
2017-06-14, 12:49 AM
Ren almost laughs at the exchange and developments. The thought of them coming here to break out an prisoner the canniness of this Trantor (or the clumsiness of their caster) and the thought of fighting the guards or whatever sell swords they could find in this forsaken place. It all brought a giddy sense of absurdity to the young man's mind. He looked at Hosni and Trantor waiting to see what was to happen next but completely comfortable in his belief that despite this small misstep they were in no real danger. For now his greatest concern was that in this blighted land there were no fair laddies to attend their impending party...

Paddywagon Man
2017-06-14, 11:15 AM
Hosni grins a little as his finely-tuned psychic senses pick up Ren's dreams of fair laddies. He'd always figured Ren swung that way, but the Scottish accent was new... :smalltongue:

kinem
2017-06-14, 06:07 PM
Physician Trantor replies "If you mean no harm, then don't go around mentally assaulting people. Who are you guys anyway?

Jarme was a lunatic, there can be no doubt of that. He claimed to be innocent, but he was caught with the bloody knife in his hands. It was more than that. He raved and ... well, he drew on the walls of his cell with charcoal. Crazy stuff. I can see that I'll have to show you. Then you will leave, alright? Follow me, then."

He leads you inside and picks up a lantern. The journey into the asylum’s nether regions is not pleasant. The constant screaming and cursing of inmates combines with an almost unbearable stench to crush the spirit of the idle visitor. Eventually, Trantor comes to a heavily locked door at which he cautions you “This wing is where the worst of our cases are kept. I beg you not to look into any of the other cells. We’ve given succor to many folk over the years, but still, those within these cells are truly forsaken by the gods.”

So saying he unlocks the door to reveal a long corridor with iron doors to either side. Small viewing hatches are firmly shut on the faces of each door. An inhuman gurgle churns up from a cell to the right and is horrifically joined by a second identical voice within the same cell, an exact echo of the first, as if both voices came from the same body. Suddenly the other cells begin to spring to life. The iron doors shudder under great blows, a woman’s garbled and shrill voice screams for death and, most unsettlingly, a baby begins to cry.

Trantor ignores the sounds and moves to the end of the hall, where one door hangs open. This is Jarme’s cell. Its walls are covered with crude charcoal pictures that depict some colossus of the sea.

http://www.filetolink.com/42c84ad3c2

ooc: To examine the drawings roll Search and (if you have it) Knowledge (local, dungeoneering, nature, arcana).

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2017-06-14, 09:26 PM
Granthar

Granthar thought of himself as a hardened dwarf, but this place was giving him the creeps. "I don't understand how you can work here day in and day out and not have it effect you. These people seem tortured, though I doubt by you. I wonder if its the stuff in the air and water or something more sinister." Granthar glances at the walls. "Its all gibberish to me" he announces with finality. He moves out of the way to let more educated eyes do their work.

J-H
2017-06-14, 10:22 PM
Max

Max looks over the drawings. "These are odd, but...hmm.... That looks familiar from somewhere." He ponders his experience with sea stories and the strange magics that sometimes accompany the great spinning storms (hurricanes) or deadly calms far from land.

Search [roll0]
K: Arcana [roll1]
If K:Nature helps, [roll2]
If K:Religion helps, [roll3]

Paddywagon Man
2017-06-15, 12:29 AM
Sense Motive on Trantor. Is he telling us everything, and does he really believe Jarme is guilty?

[roll0]

Hosni is little use in deciphering the odd patterns, but memorizes them in detail for later use.

[roll1]

edit - I am just rocking these die rolls with Trantor, aren't I?

TankLaser007
2017-06-15, 12:39 AM
The trip through the asylum has Ren visibly shaken. He is not quite convinced of the altruistic nature of the patients' incarceration and thinks that death would likely be a more suitable and merciful solution for all. Once they reach the cell he pokes his head in but does not enter, leaning through the open door and craning his head left and right to quickly take in the bizarre and disturbing drawings.

"Well then." he says looking to the caretaker. "Is that all? No personal effects, nothing more than this..." he asks indicating the gibberish.

[roll0]

Jormengand
2017-06-15, 04:15 AM
Nadiyah raises an eyebrow, but has a look at the drawings...

[roll0] Search
[roll1] Arcana
[roll2] Local
[roll3] Nature

Paddywagon Man
2017-06-15, 12:21 PM
If it makes a difference I think you get your +2 racial search bonus on top of that, Jormengand.

kinem
2017-06-15, 08:47 PM
As far as you can tell, Trantor is being honest with you and does believe Jarme was guilty. However, he might not have told you everything.

Nadiyah finds among the drawings that several of the pictures of the tentacle sea beast show it shackled in a collar being held by a vile creature akin to a great fish. Another shows the creature devouring a city. In one depiction of the tentacled sea creature, it is trapped in a deep black well, its tentacles rising up to suck the life from humanoid bodies. To Nadiyah the creature appears to be some form of giant squid.

Physician Trantor says "I have made it my life's work to try to understand, and perhaps help, these people. It certainly has been difficult. My hair went gray long before it should have.

These drawings are all that remains here of Jarme. You can see he was obsessed, insane. Such a psychosis might well lead to the crimes which he apparently committed.

Well, whether it means anything or not, that's all that I have to show you."

Jormengand
2017-06-16, 09:39 AM
"These drawings are of the same squid, multiple times. You see, here it's being commanded by some kind of... fish? Here it is again, trying to eat the city. A city? I don't know if it's meant to be this one. And here's the same squid, only it's down a well." Nadiyah sighs. "That's not very helpful. If it's a real creature and if the squid has no willpower in the slightest, I can have a look at it but I'll need an hour. If it's real and in this realm of existence then I can find which direction it's in. If the well is a real well I can have a look at that, but only if it's within a few hundred feet, and besides; it's a well. I don't know that that helps."

She shrugs. "I'm going to see if these are magical, just on the off-chance, if you don't mind. If you don't mind enough to try to stop me, anyway." If Trantor doesn't raise an objection, Nadiyah casts her Detect Magic spell and focuses on the drawings.

kinem
2017-06-16, 11:10 AM
Trantor doesn't object, but Nadiyah finds no magic on the drawings.

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2017-06-16, 11:24 AM
Granthar

"If he was completely nuts and bonkers, seems odd he would stop at one person in a night and wait a week. That sounds deliberate and almost methodical. " Grathar motions at the wall. "This is not a deliberate man. Maybe something seeped into his head when he was being controlled - if we are going with that assumption. Someone this nuts might not be capable of waiting a week between murders and might not be capable of the planning and discretion that the murders have. No witness, at night, isolated people - A mad man would be hacking away like a butcher and likely would leave wounded and maimed victims - plurral, in his wake in a one night spree. I think this reinforces some sort of controlled sacrifice or feeding. Something more sinister. All speculation on my part."

Granthar was secretly relieved that the poor man was dead, his life must have been a living hell - guilty or innocent.

kinem
2017-06-16, 05:21 PM
Physician Trantor says "Madness and method are by no means mutually exclusive. Many of the insane could be seen to behave quite rationally - if only a few key beliefs were true. For example I knew a man who thought himself a king. He demanded to be treated as such, just as any real king would. There was likely an element of ritual sacrifice to Jarme's delusions."

Paddywagon Man
2017-06-16, 09:50 PM
"I'll back Trantor up there. I've seen diseased minds from the inside and the outside, and the mad often have a dedication to their delusions the sane would envy. Though these drawings... I feel like each stop we make, we find ourselves with more questions rather than fewer."

Hosni ponders things for a minute. He considers asking Trantor if Dory had had any involvement here, but decides against it. He expects they will be invading Dory's warehouse later that night, and would rather not have the crime traced back to them too easily.

"I appreciate your cooperation here, sir. If I could ask one last favour, it would be helpful if we could speak with anyone who might have shared a cell with Jarme or spoken with him during his stay here, if such a person exists."

kinem
2017-06-17, 09:02 AM
Physician Trantor says "Jarme was considered much too dangerous to share a cell. He did, uh, have a visitor once, but I think it would be unprofessional to tell people who visits my wards.

Let's go, eh?"

He seems more nervous again.

Paddywagon Man
2017-06-17, 10:17 AM
This time Hosni can't resist.

"Was it Councilman Dory?"

kinem
2017-06-17, 11:00 AM
Trantor stares, then nods. "How the hell did you know that?"

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2017-06-17, 11:10 AM
Granthar

Granthar shoots a knowing look at his comrades.

TankLaser007
2017-06-17, 03:24 PM
Ren catches Grathar's eye and winks.

"Well thank you very much Doctor Trantor, I hope this is the first and only time we meet -- no offence -- you have been most helpful, and we would be most appreciative if we could all forget this little visit. No need to show us out, I think we know the way --- and what is it you mentioned earlier? That you are not stupid and can clearly see that your guard here would be no match for us -- not that we would ever dream of violence, least of all to a gentleman as helpful as yourself. What else was it... Oh yes, you have no wish to die... yes? So let us let this be the last we see of each other yes?"

Ren runs his gloved hands through the links of chain looped at his waist.

"You won't mention to the Council that we were here, and we won't tell Councilman Dory you divulged to us that he visited Jarme. Sound fair?"

A playful smile splits Ren's face. "Shall we go?" he says turning to the others "This place is frankly depressing and more than a little disturbing and I am growing quite bored..."

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2017-06-17, 04:35 PM
Granthar

Granthar winced hard. "You sure we're the good guys?" he asks no one in particular. "Let's stop trying to mind control and threatening to butcher people. By Moradin's beard these folks are better off with the lantern man. Least he is only killing one person a week. I dare say you lot are more dangerous and unpredictable. I'll be amazed if our body count at the end of the week is so modest. " Granthar's voice was equal measure incredulous and humorous at the same time.

He shakes his head and makes his way into the hall. Having been warned off looking into another cell, Granthar felt almost compelled to do so. "Though if it looks like these people are being tortured - all bets are off."

Granthar look into one of the other cells, careful to keep his distance so his fat nose doesn't get bitten off.

TankLaser007
2017-06-18, 12:50 AM
Ren smiles, "So says the Dwarf who not too shortly ago preferred the 'direct approach' and forgo our party plans... storming the castle and all that?"

"Besides..." he says leaning close to Granthar as he passes and whispering, "Nobody actually said anything about hurting anyone -- but if you scare someone into being quiet or compliant well then all's fair, as they say..."

Ren almost skips his way down the hall towards the exit wanting to be as far from this accursed asylum as possible.

kinem
2017-06-18, 02:18 PM
Physician Trantor tells Ren "I never told you anything. Just remember that."

When Granthar opens the viewing hatch on another cell to peer inside, the banging and screaming from the other cells resumes louder than before.

You see the unblinking eyes of an old man staring straight into your eyes.

ooc: What will you do after leaving the Asylum?

J-H
2017-06-18, 03:50 PM
Max

After they are safely away from the asylum, Max speaks up. "So, back to councilman Dory's - but not right away. We should secure a clean place to sleep tonight, somewhere nearby so that we don't have to take a boat and be remembered before visiting his dry-docked ship.

What were those things we were seeing drawings of?"

Paddywagon Man
2017-06-18, 10:50 PM
"A giant squid? Some sort of elder evil? That trip left us with more questions than answers,
I think. Still, at least we have a target.

We're in the High Quarter already, I think it might be worth seeing how Enver's making out getting us accommodations, and maybe Nadiyah can get that scrying spell of hers cast. Once night falls we hit Councilman Dory's."

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2017-06-19, 11:44 AM
Granthar

"A full nights sleep sounds good. I think I'd rather hit the warehouse during the morning. If we think something bad is there why go at night ? Half of you can't even see in the dark. If something bad is there its going to be there during the day too. Why make it more difficult for us? " Granthar suggests.

TankLaser007
2017-06-19, 02:37 PM
"Master Granthar makes a good point. Also gives us more time to adequately prepare for our future festivities."

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2017-06-19, 04:13 PM
Granthar

"Are you still going on about this party?" Granthar asks.

Paddywagon Man
2017-06-19, 07:50 PM
My suggestion of going at night was mostly to protect our anonymity - and also because the murders have been at night, and I'd rather not allow one to happen while we nap. You do make an excellent point about our inferior sight, though - and we haven't been very good at protecting our anonymity up until this point, either. Might as well do it in the morning."

Hosni sends out a telepathic message to Enver so as to get directions to the lodgings he'd hopefully picked out by now - and also to Refrum, asking if Dory and Jarme had had any dealings in the past.

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2017-06-19, 09:19 PM
Granthar

Granthar rubs his beard in thought. He nods at Hosni.

kinem
2017-06-20, 09:20 PM
It is already dark, though there is a waning sunset and moonlight.

Enver has found a mansion that may be suitable. It belongs to Phyllis Hart, an elderly widow. She is willing to part with it for 6000 gp. Apparently, that is a very good price compared to similar buildings. Also, the place is rumored to be haunted, but he's seen no proof of that.

kinem
2017-06-22, 10:51 PM
As for Refrum, he does not know of any dealings between Jarme and Dory.

Paddywagon Man
2017-06-23, 11:36 AM
Hosni pays the woman for the mansion, giving her all his platinum and a good portion of his gold, albeit a little reluctantly. He probably could have gotten a better price through enchantment, but is a little reluctant to go that route after the ordeal with Trantor.

He surveys the interior of the mansion, making notes of any necessary improvements, and welcomes the rest of the party in. Nadiyah's scrying mirror is set up in a suitable quiet room.

"Tomorrow I'll have somebody pick up some food to stock the place with, but in the meantime we still have our travelling rations. Nothing to do now but wait I suppose, feel free to pick out rooms for yourselves."

He begins thinking of the potential this mansion might have.

J-H
2017-06-23, 11:52 AM
Max

Max finds the highest room possible - one with a good view of the outside, so that if there's battle he can rain down lightning on foes from above.

"We should start early in the morning, at sunrise. None can accuse us of skulking about, but we will catch any of our foes unprepared."

TankLaser007
2017-06-23, 02:09 PM
Ren tours the mansion, eyeing each room with a mind to entertain guests, hosting lavish dinner parties, balls, "private" gatherings... then he remembers the blighted and pathetic nature of the Styes.

He lets out an audible sigh.

"We aren't having a party are we." he says a bit crestfallen, before sinking into a dusty couch.

He takes off his pack and unstraps his bolt cases. He lays his cross bow next to him and removes his chain shirt folding it next to him.

"So Hosni are any of your admirers going to act as our staff while we are here?"

Paddywagon Man
2017-06-23, 10:26 PM
"Why Ren, you make it sound like I'd be taking advantage of them! But yes, most of them looked like they weren't eating regularly or sleeping anywhere comfortable, so I'm some of them would be happy to wait on us in exchange for regular meals and a sturdy roof over their heads."

Hosni sets himself up in the master bedroom with Eva nearby, and Ororo (as well as the elf soldiers) bunked on the first floor. Enver's alchemy lab is set up somewhere secluded in the cellar.

ooc - would it be possible to get a map of the mansion, just to make things a little more exact?

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2017-06-23, 10:46 PM
Granthar

Granthar takes one of the smaller bedrooms on the first floor, preferably one with out a window. "I think this place is plenty big enough for a party. I honestly hope we have things resolved before it comes to that though."

kinem
2017-06-24, 11:56 AM
The old widow, Phyllis Hart, from whom Hosni purchased the mansion tells you "Best of luck. It is time for me to return to Islah, where I was born. Nothing remains for me in the Styes any longer.

This house has seem much tragedy - the Soine murders, the death of my own dear husband Richard, and of course the death of that poor child Annabelle. I hope that it will start a brighter new chapter in your capable hands.

As for the rumors of hauntings, I have never had any problems. At night the wind can sound eerie, and the wood creaks with temperature changes. It is true that sometimes my things seemed to be out of place, but that could easily be due to my failing memory."

Most of the rooms are lit by continual flame spells with adjustable covers.

Buildings built on the artificial islands known as the Styes tend not to have underground basements - that area tends to be under the sea level - and this one is no exception.

OOC:

Everyone roll a Will save and a Fort save.

For a map of the mansion I like either Braeton House

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/816629344902690718/

or the top 3 levels of

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/487866572106453622/

another possibility is

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/552746554247258846/

Let me know what you prefer, which may include other floor plans.

Paddywagon Man
2017-06-25, 02:32 PM
ooh, spooky!

[roll0] [roll1]

[roll2] [roll3]

[roll4] [roll5]

[roll6] [roll7]

[roll8] [roll9]

OOC - I'm starting to see the downsides of playing so many characters - and no way am I rolling saves for all the non-unique mooks.

Jormengand
2017-06-26, 02:19 PM
Fort [roll0] Wil: [roll1]

If this is happening after Nadiyah has had a chance to scry the Lantern Man (using second-hand knowledge of having heard of him), she tried that. If not, then she hasn't yet.

kinem
2017-06-26, 10:48 PM
Nadiyah uses the strange old mirror with the gargoyles frame as a focus to attempt to scry on the Lantern Man, but the spell does not reveal anything to her.

During the night, there are creaking noises and the wind howls.

Nadiyah's nightly meditation is troubled by faint splashing noises which she can't explain.

In the morning, Hosni and Ororo have red, swollen, itchy faces.

ooc: The Redface imposes a –2 penalty on all Concentration, Listen, Search, and Spot checks.

http://www.filetolink.com/55aadddfbc

TankLaser007
2017-06-27, 12:28 AM
I assume hosni is in C11 Ren will take C12 the Thralls can take C10 as it looks suited go large numbers having 2 double beds already there.

J-H
2017-06-27, 08:22 AM
Max Dillon

Max wakes refreshed. After getting ready for the day he walks out into the common area.
"See, not haunted! Let's go rattle some windows." Then he notices the two diseased people. "Wow, what happened to you? I didn't think we'd been here long enough to get sick."

Paddywagon Man
2017-06-27, 08:44 PM
Hosni rolls his eyes, scratching a little at the unsightly red welts.

"It catches fast, I guess. I'll have Ororo or Refrum cure it after we finish at Dory's, although from the sounds of it trying to keep the Redface out is a losing propsition.

Any luck with your scrying, Nadiyah? Find anything on Dory or the Lantern Man?"

Hosni sets up mindlinks with Enver, Eva and Ororo as normal, and inquires with Ororo about the wagons from yesterday.

These preparations complete, Hosni straps on his spear and makes for the door.

"I'd rather not waste any time in getting to Dory's warehouse, although we're going in nearly blind - exactly what I had hoped to avoid. If any of you have a plan I'd be happy to hear it."

kinem
2017-06-28, 09:09 PM
Having discreetly followed several of the wagons going to or from Dory's warehouse, Ororo found nothing suspicious about them: They carry trade goods, often alchemical in nature, to and from local factories and ships.

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2017-06-28, 11:33 PM
Granthar

"We should inquire about storing some excess furniture in their warehouse, seeing as how we are going to have a huge party soon. We need room for dancing." Granthar suggests. "We need a quick tour to ensure our good will be well treated and secure." Granthar shrugs as if he was out of ideas.

Jormengand
2017-06-30, 01:14 PM
Using her Ring of Sustenance to prepare her spells faster, Nadiyah uses the eight hours that the others spent sleeping to scry the Lantern Man (which fails) and also try to scry the squid and Councilman Dory before sleeping for two hours (and sleeping for another two hours if the noises prevent her from sleeping on the first attempt) and preparing her spells for one hour, and then waiting two hours if she didn't use them for a second attempt at sleeping.

(She'll answer Hosni's question if she got information from either of the other scryings)

TankLaser007
2017-07-01, 02:39 PM
Ren is visibly disturbed by the sign of affliction on the faces of his companions. He recoils slightly from them and cringes and winces as they near. "We should finish our work here quickly and leave. I fear this places is blighted... much worse than we had initially expected."

He dons his gear and readies to make way, but being careful to keep a healthy distance between himself and the those in their group who have come down with the red face.

J-H
2017-07-01, 03:14 PM
Max

The sorcerer uses his runestaff to re-cast his daily protection spells before stowing it safely away. Portions of his body glow blue and brown briefly as they are suffused with elemental essence. The glow fades after a few seconds.

These are always-on, but I may as well mention them.
Heart of Earth & Heart of Water

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2017-07-01, 08:15 PM
Granthar

"I hope the ongoing plagues - and I used that in the plural, was accounted for in the price of this place. I recommend the next time we buy real estate, its on the edge of an active volcano. Surely the price will be a steal." Granthar laces in heavy sarcasm. He paces back forth, eager to get a start on the day.

"So if we are going to stay, we need to knock off that councilman, get one us elected in his place, jump start the alchemy trade again. Then introduce significant environmental reforms. Maybe bring in some druids to help with the cleanup - just to recoup the land values and not lose every copper you invested in this place." Granthar grinned ear to ear and ruffled his beard.

Paddywagon Man
2017-07-01, 09:15 PM
Hosni is getting a little short, the redface tugging at his attentions even as Granthar mocks his new property.

"Or I could simply have it cured through magic. We're not proles, and I just so happen to have a druid on staff. Though if you'd rather find a volcano to homestead in, be my guest. Sword-arms are cheaper than spellcasters, and I've several of both already."

kinem
2017-07-05, 06:40 PM
Nadiyah is unable to scry 'the squid' or Coucilman Dory, though she does sense that her spells have been resisted, which she had not noticed in the case of 'the Lantern Man'.

ooc: I'm back!

So it looks like the party is returning to Dory's warehouse this morning. Is everyone going? You might want to leave the tiger somewhere if this is a social call :smallsmile:

When you do, you will find it looking much the same as yesterday, with wagons occasionally entering or leaving.

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2017-07-05, 07:30 PM
Granthar

Granthar gives Hosni a huge smile and a sly wink. "Sword arm? I thought I was the brains of the operation. "

Granthar look over at the warehouse. "Probably someone more social then I should make contact." He thinks for a moment. "Or not." he gestures at his weapon.

Paddywagon Man
2017-07-05, 10:29 PM
Hosni sighs, looking a little apologetic.

"You're right, sorry for my rudeness. This redface is really trying my patience."

Looking at the warehouse, he thinks for a minute.

"Sure, I'll try talking to them, but it's entirely possible they won't let us in.

In that case, I guess you let them know we aren't taking no for an answer."

He walks hurriedly down to the warehouse, acting like he's expected.

TankLaser007
2017-07-06, 01:22 PM
Ren follows behind Hosni, standing behind his right shoulder and striking an imposing a pose as possible. "Don't forget your faithful steward and fellow exiled noble..," he says to Hosni with a wink.

kinem
2017-07-06, 06:37 PM
You notice a patrol of two City Guards walking along a nearby street.

ooc: Reminder:

A vertical stone building rises from the cobbles, three stories high and dotted with iron-barred windows. The warehouse’s slate roof rises dizzily some 60 feet above, and in places its walls and roof seem to be coated with a bitumen black gruel with the viscosity of phlegm; encrustations from the pollution belching from nearby alchemist workshops. Behind the warehouse is a gray-green pit of mud. A huge rickety crane protrudes from the far wall of the warehouse, its limbs rusted arthritically. Dangling from it is a dripping ship hulk, hanging some fifty feet above the greasy mud below. A crude bridge attaches the crane to the ship’s deck but it looks a dizzy climb. A trough also connects the ship to a nearby water tower, and steam rises from places just as rivulets of water drain from the hull into the mud below. You see some six-wheeled wagons coming into and leaving from the warehouse.

When Hosni, followed by Ren and backed up by the others, knocks on the warehouse's door, a laborer opens it. The man wears simple work clothing and has no weapons. He looks confused at first.

"New customers, eh? Very well, come in and Chumwell will speak with you in the corner office to the right."

The interior of the warehouse is piled high with crates, boxes, and packages, most marked with alchemists’ personal symbols and “FRAGILE” or “HANDLE WITH CARE.” A pair of iron spiral staircases rise from opposing corners of the room. There is a large lift in the eastern section of the warehouse which appears to be operable by a winch.

The worker directs you to the corner office, which contains several filing cabinets, a work desk, a large table, and some rickety bunk beds.

An older man with a case of Redface calmly greets you there. "Morning. I am Borsk Chumwell. Why are you here?"

Paddywagon Man
2017-07-07, 10:41 AM
Hosni is a little taken aback. He hadn't expected getting in to be so easy, or for the warehouse to be so... ordinary.

What to ask? This man in front of him probably didn't know anything, and they weren't going to find anything in this tiny office. But unfettered access to the warehouse would be a tall order.

Still, might as well be direct.

"Mr... Chumwell, isn't it? This may come as an odd request, but we'd like to do a quick investigation of the warehouse as follow-up on the Lantern Man killings. You wouldn't happen to know anything about that, would?

In any case, we shouldn't be here long, and we'll try not to get in anybody's way."

[roll0]

And of course I'll be using Inquisitor on Chumwell's reply, for a +19 Sense Motive.

kinem
2017-07-07, 10:06 PM
Chumwell replies "Who are you? As for your request, absolutely not. I don't know what you're up to - spies for some rival business probably - but I'm busy so I have a request of my own. Get out."

As far as you can tell, the man is telling you the truth as he sees it.

Paddywagon Man
2017-07-09, 12:05 AM
Hosni looks a little apologetically at Ren, who'd been so excited to play the exiled noble. Hosni's always admired the youth's audacity, and also feels he's bungled this a little bit. Time for a different tack, his silver tongue has been worth precious little so far.

"I think you've misunderstood us on a few levels, sir. First, we're no corporate spies. Your customer lists and revenue reports couldn't bother me less, we're after something a bit more substantial.

The second thing you may not have picked up on is that I wasn't asking. We're a little bit above your pay grade, Mr. Chumwell, and one way or another we'll be taking a tour of this warehouse. We don't want there to be any trouble... but that's not quite the same as saying we won't make some if that's what it takes."

[roll0]

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2017-07-09, 01:01 AM
Granthar

Granthar grimaced. He was taken aback at how quickly their thinly veiled story was discarded. "I guess I should have explained the rest of the plan. " he says in an unconvincing manner. It was clear he didn't have a plan at all.

"Believe it or not, we really don't want any trouble but we have good reason for wanting to take a look around - its not just a random event that has brought us here." Granthar was no diplomat but he hoped he wouldn't have to hurt any honest working men - that would be shame.

You mentioned bunk beds - how many beds in total ?

kinem
2017-07-09, 07:00 PM
There are two bunk beds each with three levels, able to sleep a total of 6.

Chumwell replies "If you have a valid search warrant, then show it to me. Otherwise, our business here is done with. I don't take kindly to threats. If you intend to use force, I won't put up a fight, but my men will surely summon the City Watch."

TankLaser007
2017-07-11, 01:12 PM
Ren sighs, "Listen chum, and listen well. Perhaps we got off on the wrong foot. We are new to your quaint little slice of diseased bog." he strokes the black wolf tail scarf around his neck, and picks a piece dust from his richly embroidered doublet, "we don't want to be here any more than you want us here. so let us handle this like gentlemen, and not savages." He points to the desk in the small office. "might I suggest we sit, perhaps drink something and see if we can not come to a mutual understanding." Ren's hand falls to his purse, his fingers raping the bulging pouch.

"Now I understanding you are responsible for handling contracts for customers? My colleague here," he indicates Nadia, "has needs for establishing a small laboratory in our estate, if you would be so kind as to show us the ware house, some of your products and explain to us the extent of your service for importing and transporting goods I think we may be able to come to some type of agreement, and there might well be a commission in it, should our Lord in exile be so pleased with the arrangement." Ren smiles, it looks strange and stilted.

[roll0]

kinem
2017-07-11, 07:52 PM
Chumwell replies "Now you listen. That's about the third story you guys have given me so far. I've heard more convincing lies from my dog.

Part of why I said no to poking around was for your own protection, believe it or not. Many of the alchemical goods that we store can be dangerous if you aren't careful with them.

And if you were to head upstairs and poke too high, you might draw the ire of the dangerous monsters who guard the place at night. Manticores, they are. I don't let my men near them, that should tell you all you need to know.

But I'll tell you what I'll do. As you said, this is above my pay grade. You might not realize this but the owner of the place is none other than Councilman Dory. Give me a request in writing, and I'll pass it along for him to consider. But note that he is a very busy and very private man, so it could be several days before he does so."

Paddywagon Man
2017-07-19, 07:22 PM
"You'll have to try a little harder than that, Mr. Chumwell. Manticores are fine for scaring off rubes, but I don't think they'll give Granthar here much of a fight. And let's not even factor in magic, which we've got in spades.

And we know full well this is Dory's warehouse, in a way we came here to see him. But a few days? Well, we're busy people too.

So I think we're going to go meet with him now, and take a little look around the warehouse while we're at it. You can stay here with my friend Guido, whom I'm sure you'll get along swimmingly with. I'd try not to upset him though... he's not nearly as nice as I am.

So thanks for your guidance, but we'll take it from here."

OOC - should I roll another intimidate check? I already did one once this scene.

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2017-07-19, 07:43 PM
Granthar

"Maybe we are going about this wrong. We should come back in a month after 4 or 5 more people have been killed and see if we get more cooperation then." Granthar suggests to the group. "We seem to run into resistance at every turn - not sure these people really want to be helped." Granthar shrugged in a very passive aggressive manner.

Granthar grumbles at the notion of manticores. "Truth be told my stubby legs are a bit of a hindrance when it comes to manticores. I'm tall enough to chop a giants knee, but a flying manticore that like to fly away - well - that's another story." Granthar realized too late it was likely mentioned to coerce the manager - not a factual boast.

kinem
2017-07-20, 11:03 PM
Granthar

"Maybe we are going about this wrong. We should come back in a month after 4 or 5 more people have been killed and see if we get more cooperation then." Granthar suggests to the group.

Hearing the murderous threat, Chumwell begins to scream. "Murderers! Run for it, men!"

The workers in the warehouse scramble out. Some of them blow on whistles before escaping.

Paddywagon Man
2017-07-21, 12:23 AM
Hosni throws up his hands, mystified.

"I've been around a lot. I've met difficult people before. I've met incredibly stupid people before. But this Chumwell... still somehow amazes me.

Whatever, let's scope out the warehouse, he can blow all the damn whistles he wants. I'll set up more mindlinks between us, we can cover more ground separately and the telepathic connection will let us keep each other informed of anything we find.

Hosni wild surges again and sets up a mindlink with each of his party members.

[roll0]

kinem
2017-07-23, 11:06 AM
With the workers gone, Chumwell tries his luck at escaping as well.

ooc: Do you stop him?

The interior of the warehouse is piled high with crates, boxes, and packages, most marked with alchemists’ personal symbols and “FRAGILE” or “HANDLE WITH CARE.” A pair of iron spiral staircases rise from opposing corners of the room. There is a large lift in the eastern section of the warehouse which appears to be operable by a winch.

http://www.filetolink.com/92f89db5f8

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2017-07-23, 12:08 PM
Granthar

Granthar was confused by chumwell's reaction. "Maybe we should leave and come back tomorrow?" he asks the group. "I suspect the city guards will be along promptly."

Paddywagon Man
2017-07-24, 08:03 PM
"Well... I'd rather have the flatfoot beat watchmen on us than give the watch time to organize a hit. I'll have Guido hold the door and warn me when the watch shows up, I'll see if I can work something out. Money, psychic compulsions and a silver tongue are good for a lot, although not good enough for Chumwell apparently. In the meantime let's try to get this mystery sorted out as quickly as possible.

Let's split up and look for clues. Send a message through the mindlink if you find anything or need backup - it's not a huge building, we can regroup quickly if we run into resistance.

And let's not kill the manticores if it's at all avoidable. They are quite expensive, and my funds are a bit stretched."

Hosni makes for the lift, motioning to Ororo to operate the winch and to Guido to hold the door.

TankLaser007
2017-07-24, 11:52 PM
Ren let's out a sigh, it seems like their party is becoming less and less likely. Especially with the prospect of prison. He is not going to jail A shiver runs up his spine at the thought of being trapped in a small dirty little cell.

"Let's get this over with then." he says as he quickly walks with Hosni towards the lift.

J-H
2017-07-25, 07:38 AM
Max

"The councillor's grounded ship-home is right over there, and much more likely to contain evidence than a crowded public warehouse. This is a foolish diversion."

TankLaser007
2017-07-25, 09:32 AM
Ren

"We'll have to access the ship via the causeway only assessable from this roof... I am more concerned about these so called wyverns than anything else."

kinem
2017-07-31, 09:46 PM
http://www.filetolink.com/50e1186ada

Legend:
G = Guido at door
H = Hosni on lift
R = Ren on lift
O = Ororo at winch
W = Granthar (Warblade) at winch

M = Manticore one floor up

----------------------------------------

The party decides to use the lift to go up a level. With Guido guarding the door, Ororo and Granthar work the winch. When the lift is lowered, Ren and Hosni prepare to ride it back up ...

However, a trio of angry manticores appear around the hole in the ceiling! Each creature has a vaguely humanoid head, a body like a lion, and wings like a dragon. Its tail ends in long, sharp spikes.

The top of the lift consists of metal arches and provides no significant cover.

Neither side is surprised at the presence of the other, but the manticores prove slower to react ...

ooc: Combat rounds begin. The party can act first. See OOC.

TankLaser007
2017-08-01, 12:16 AM
Ren

Ren instinctively slides backwards towards the corner of the lift putting as much space between himself and these creatures as he can. "Master Granthar, Master Ororo if you would be so kind as to NOT work the winch any further that would be grand." Ren begins to focus on a point in space about ten feet behind the lone creature to the west. His a narrow as he calls the image of a brutish beast to mind and gives his vision form through the quickly shaped ectoplasm congealing behind the manticore as its substances is drawn through the astral plane into the material.

Free: 5' Step towards the lower left corner of the lift near Granthar.
Full: Manifest a Level 2 Astral Construct (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/monsters/astralConstruct.htm) w/ the Trip (ex) Ability. (3 PPs)

Paddywagon Man
2017-08-01, 07:11 PM
Hosni watches the construct take form, impressed - then darts to the side, wild surges, and unleashes an overwhelming gout of frigid energy at the manticore in the corner.

[roll0], DC 20 Fort for half.

[roll1]

Hosni then channels psychic energy into his long crystal spear in anticipation of the manticores' attack.

kinem
2017-08-02, 10:29 PM
As Ren begins to pull material from the Astral Plane to shape an ally, Hosni blasts two of the manticores with cold energy. The icy blast might have been enough to finish off the mighty creatures, but both manage to dodge the worst of it.

ooc:
Granthar, Max, and Ororo may act. I don't think anyone else is present.

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2017-08-02, 10:37 PM
Granthar

"Rats" Granthar complained.

He dashes to the north towards the stairs. "I need to get in swing'in range. I think this is jeopardizing our chances for a party."

Granthar will move to the stairs to his north and begin to climb them.

J-H
2017-08-06, 10:05 PM
Max

"Wait." The sorcerer commands his allies.

He concentrates, his eyes taking on a faint sheen. Those standing near him hear a faint echo of unsettling laughter, as though some malicious fey creature was laughing at another's misfortune.

Confusion, manticores, Will DC21

kinem
2017-08-08, 09:33 PM
Two of the manticores begin to babble incoherently, but the eastmost one seems unaffected by Max's magic.

That manticore unleashes a barrage of spikes at Hosni, though his psychic preparation protects him.

ooc: 22 damage

It then retreats away from the opening in the ceiling and you lose sight of it.

ooc: Party to act.

J-H
2017-08-08, 11:02 PM
Max

"Stay out of sight of the manticores, and they'll fight only themselves. We have about a minute for them to kill each other."

He withdraws to well out of range of the elevator shaft.

Paddywagon Man
2017-08-16, 12:27 AM
Hosni is quite impressed by the spell's devastating effect, but chafes a little at the minute's wait.

"Perhaps we should barricade these doors. I'm not overly worried about the watch but I'd rather take care of one problem at a time, and if we piled some of these crates in front of them that would buy us some time to deal with Dory."

He absent-mindedly pulls the manticore spikes from his chest.

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2017-08-16, 08:53 PM
Granthar

Granthar pauses half way up the stairs. He waits to see if the spell seems to have taken the desired effect. He grips his weapon eager to charge into battle.