PDA

View Full Version : We're back!

esorscher
2017-05-14, 06:22 PM
Thanks to everyone for getting the forums back up and running without any apparent loss in data?

Lheticus
2017-05-14, 06:38 PM
No joke! So...what the heck HAPPENED, anyway?

Bartmanhomer
2017-05-14, 06:55 PM

Yeah I really want to know that myself as well. :confused:

Gunhaven
2017-05-14, 07:12 PM
Praise the Maker!

It bothered me that I couldn't find anything. I'm glad I don't need an alternative for my fix at least.

2017-05-14, 07:19 PM
Definitely curious as to what was going on, but mostly just happy that I can look stuff up and post new stuff again. :smallsmile:

JumboWheat01
2017-05-14, 07:20 PM

Several natural 1s on Recall Knowledge checks.

Max_Killjoy
2017-05-14, 07:24 PM
It would be great to get an explanation as to what happened.

But it is great to be back up and without any apparent rollback.

Logosloki
2017-05-14, 07:26 PM
Huzzah! I missed the place. I didn't know where everyone was hanging out so I ended up missing out on a lot of top quality posts.

Felhammer
2017-05-14, 07:27 PM
Was there any kind of warning that the forums were going down? If so, I totally missed it.

Bartmanhomer
2017-05-14, 07:31 PM
Was there any kind of warning that the forums were going down? If so, I totally missed it.

No. I didn't received any warning at all. If they really received a warning. They would have email everybody about this. :frown:

WarKitty
2017-05-14, 07:31 PM

Not that I saw - we were having a discussion on the PWA thread and I checked back a few minutes later and the forum was down.

Bartmanhomer
2017-05-14, 07:39 PM
I'm pretty sure that the moderators and admin will explain why the forum was shut down a few days ago.

TheManicMonocle
2017-05-14, 07:44 PM
Woohoo! It's not like I was refreshing the page every few hours for a week >.>

Grey_Wolf_c
2017-05-14, 07:53 PM
My best guess? The indexing of the forums needed to be rebuilt. For that, best thing to do is to shut the database. Last time they had to do it, it took a week (and then something went wrong, and took another week after that, IIRC). So I'm thinking that this time, nothing went wrong.

GW

5ColouredWalker
2017-05-14, 08:00 PM
Given that recent mass hacking and Giantitp started acting suspicious when I tried to connect to it, I'd guess it was hacked.

JNAProductions
2017-05-14, 08:03 PM
If it was something routine, you'd think they'd mention what was gonna happen BEFORE it happened.

That being said, I'm just glad it's back.

Bartmanhomer
2017-05-14, 08:04 PM
Given that recent mass hacking and Giantitp started acting suspicious when I tried to connect to it, I'd guess it was hacked.

I'm not making any speculation or anything but it does sounds like it got hacked or maybe they want to upgrade the forum a bit with new features and options.

WarKitty
2017-05-14, 08:06 PM
If it was something routine, you'd think they'd mention what was gonna happen BEFORE it happened.

That being said, I'm just glad it's back.

That was my thought as well. It's more likely something went wrong, given how suddenly everything went down.

Bartmanhomer
2017-05-14, 08:08 PM
Well I guess it's one of the internet forums little mysteries that will remain unsolved. :eek:

danielxcutter
2017-05-14, 08:09 PM
Seriously, what in the name of Burlew happened? :smallconfused: I had a couple conversations and two PbP games interupted, and I'm not getting notification emails even after the forum came back up.

Grey_Wolf_c
2017-05-14, 08:10 PM

I wouldn't call rebuilding indexes of the tables containing every single post in the forum "routine". It might have been unplanned, anyway: a corrupt index causing the forums to be inaccesible, requiring Rawhide to get on it as soon as he was able.

GW

JNAProductions
2017-05-14, 08:15 PM
I wouldn't call rebuilding indexes of the tables containing every single post in the forum "routine". It might have been unplanned, anyway: a corrupt index causing the forums to be inaccesible, requiring Rawhide to get on it as soon as he was able.

GW

Ah, oki. That would make sense.

Tvtyrant
2017-05-14, 08:40 PM
I'm so glad we are back online!

Rawhide
2017-05-14, 08:46 PM

Server crashed, and corrupted every single database in the process to the point that MySQL wouldn't even load. That's why the rest of the site was restored much quicker.

Illven
2017-05-14, 08:47 PM
My modbuddy says one of the results is that posts and threads after January are now searchable again,

Bartmanhomer
2017-05-14, 08:50 PM
Server crashed, and corrupted every single database in the process to the point that MySQL wouldn't even load. That's why the rest of the site was restored much quicker.

Oh wow. Just wow! I'm really sorry that the server crashed. :frown:

Grand Arbiter
2017-05-14, 08:50 PM
*notices forums are back*
*expresses excitement loudly*
*lights imaginary fireworks* :smallcool:

I am a little curious as to why the forum went down as well. Unexpected maintenance does seem the most likely cause, but there's a saying or two about when you assume...

EDIT: Rawhide is a ninja of Epic ability.

Grey_Wolf_c
2017-05-14, 08:53 PM
Server crashed, and corrupted every single database in the process to the point that MySQL wouldn't even load.

I wasn't that far off, although that is a lot worse than "just" corrupted indexes.

GW

Togath
2017-05-14, 08:54 PM

Okay, so not some planned thing I missed a notification of.
Sounds rough.:smallfrown:

Sword-Geass
2017-05-14, 09:01 PM
Glad the forum is back, one week skiping GiTP results in most of my Google searchs was an awful experience. And even more glad that nothing was lost.

Anonymouswizard
2017-05-14, 09:17 PM
Woooooo! The forums are back.

Wow though, I'm actually surprised that the forums are back this early if that was what happened, but I don't work with this stuff so what do I know. I'm just glad I can get back to my irregularly scheduled discussions.

Arutema
2017-05-14, 09:33 PM

Ouch, MySQL recovery work is not fun.

Algeh
2017-05-14, 09:37 PM
Hooray for fixed forums! I didn't realize how much time I spent here until it suddenly wasn't an option. Thank you for getting this fixed - it sounds like quite the undertaking.

Is there a place I should be watching for updates or messages when things are down (twitter account, other forum, posters on certain lampposts in key downtown areas)?

WarKitty
2017-05-14, 09:55 PM
My modbuddy says one of the results is that posts and threads after January are now searchable again,

Not working on my end. :smallfrown:

Gunhaven
2017-05-14, 10:02 PM
Glad the forum is back, one week skiping GiTP results in most of my Google searchs was an awful experience. And even more glad that nothing was lost.

Woohoo! It's not like I was refreshing the page every few hours for a week >.>
I'm glad I'm not the only one on either account.

Hooray for fixed forums! I didn't realize how much time I spent here until it suddenly wasn't an option. Thank you for getting this fixed - it sounds like quite the undertaking.

Is there a place I should be watching for updates or messages when things are down (twitter account, other forum, posters on certain lampposts in key downtown areas)?

Same tbh.

Illven
2017-05-14, 10:28 PM

Seems to be working for me, huh. :smallconfused:

Zea mays
2017-05-14, 10:34 PM
Thank you Rawhide!

Lovely to have the forums back
*slides back into lurk mode*

userpay
2017-05-14, 10:38 PM
Huzzah for everything coming back online! Even if it's in time for finals >.>

On a different note would it be possible that there's an offsite source that gets updated when stuff like this happens in the future we can get news on what's happening? There's the twitter but nothing was said on there since the beginning of May.

Spore
2017-05-14, 10:39 PM
Thank you for fixing these forums. I have something to read in my short breaks at work again. :smallannoyed:

Douglas
2017-05-14, 10:41 PM
The searches I've tried show results from January and before, and from May 6 and after. Were you looking for something between those dates?

WarKitty
2017-05-14, 10:46 PM
The searches I've tried show results from January and before, and from May 6 and after. Were you looking for something between those dates?

Yes I was - I was hoping to pull up a few of my threads on managing my party.

2D8HP
2017-05-14, 11:05 PM
:smile:

Hip hip hooray!

Bartmanhomer
2017-05-14, 11:08 PM
I thought my first guess was that this forum was hacked by a rival RPG internet forum. Oh well now we know the truth. :smile:

Mai
2017-05-14, 11:17 PM
I... Uhh... Definately wasn't.... Checking every few hours this last week....

Anti-Eagle
2017-05-14, 11:34 PM
I'm glad things survived. I was kinda concerned I'd be coming back to some kind of forum wasteland when it came back with the lack of news.

Gwendol
2017-05-15, 01:12 AM
Back to gaming again then!

Bohandas
2017-05-15, 01:13 AM
Thank goodness it's back up. I was worried that "temporarily offline for maintainence" was going to become an epitaph like it did on the MSPA forum

Avilan the Grey
2017-05-15, 01:49 AM
I can get my friendly forum fix again. :)
Thanks for getting it up and running!

fire_insideout
2017-05-15, 02:14 AM
Thanks for getting the forums back up and running! :smallbiggrin:

Alent
2017-05-15, 03:16 AM
I was surprised how much I missed this forum while it was down.

Hurray to it being back!

TheOldCrow
2017-05-15, 06:16 AM
Yay! Good to have this place back.

Aotrs Commander
2017-05-15, 07:22 AM
I would just like to take this opportunity to say to the Giant and all the mods, administrators and other personell: a huge thank you for the forums and your continued support of it. I think a LOT of us kinda rely on the forums, one way or another (ponythread is currently full of people espousing great relief we are back) for all sorts of reasons.

For me, every morning - EVERY morning, unless I'm not physically at the computer - the first two tabs up are Media Discussions and Gaming Other, and they stay up all day until the computer goes off, regardless of what I'm doing in the meantime. And when I need a five minute break, I'll tab over.

It is also where I vent my frustrations (and this last couple of weeks have been unusually full of them for myself and pretty much everyone around me (including the entire GitP community, no less!), from the trivial to the "doesn't-get-much-worse-then-that."

So, and it bears worth repeating and repeating again: THANK YOU to all of you, and especially Rich, for having us.

pendell
2017-05-15, 08:02 AM
Bravo , Rawhide! Many thanks for all your efforts in getting the site back up!

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Irish Musician
2017-05-15, 08:22 AM

*all of the applause* Thank you Rawhide, and anyone else who helped, to get the forums back up! As always y'all do a badass job.

ExLibrisMortis
2017-05-15, 09:24 AM
Thank you Rawhide & team!

Gwynfrid
2017-05-15, 09:49 AM
I would just like to take this opportunity to say to the Giant and all the mods, administrators and other personell: a huge thank you for the forums and your continued support of it. I think a LOT of us kinda rely on the forums, one way or another (ponythread is currently full of people espousing great relief we are back) for all sorts of reasons.

For me, every morning - EVERY morning, unless I'm not physically at the computer - the first two tabs up are Media Discussions and Gaming Other, and they stay up all day until the computer goes off, regardless of what I'm doing in the meantime. And when I need a five minute break, I'll tab over.

It is also where I vent my frustrations (and this last couple of weeks have been unusually full of them for myself and pretty much everyone around me (including the entire GitP community, no less!), from the trivial to the "doesn't-get-much-worse-then-that."

So, and it bears worth repeating and repeating again: THANK YOU to all of you, and especially Rich, for having us.

Seconded, big time. We've been missing this place, thanks guys for making everything run smoothly and restoring it so cleanly after this hiccup!

Bartmanhomer
2017-05-15, 09:52 AM
As the most iconic TV narrator will say: "We now return to our regularly schedule RPG." :smile:

Armok
2017-05-15, 12:15 PM
Glad to see things are up again. And good work on rebuilding the SQL stuff, I know from personal experience that can't have been fun...

LeSwordfish
2017-05-15, 01:21 PM
Congratulations on getting everything back up and working - sounds like a bit of a catastrophe!

tschel23
2017-05-15, 07:09 PM
Yay! So glad the forums are back up and running. Thank you to the moderators, admin and tech gurus to get it going!

Xenohaz
2017-05-15, 08:11 PM
Happy to see things are back, the abrupt disappearance and radio silence were a little concerning. Back to lurking!

Fuchur
2017-05-17, 05:48 AM
What's funny is that I visited "isitdownrightnow.com" and this site asserted that giantitp would have been working all the time and that I should clear my cache. So I cleared my cache totally pointlessly.

Zherog
2017-05-17, 08:36 AM
That assertion was correct - the site was up. The forums running on the site, however, were down.

Rawhide
2017-05-17, 01:31 PM
That assertion was correct - the site was up. The forums running on the site, however, were down.

This.

The whole website was down for a few hours, mostly because it happened while I was on a plane, and after landing I had to fix it using a smartphone.

After MySQL failed to load, I blocked off the forums and got to work on finding the issue and fixing the databases. Site = up, forums = inaccessible.

JNAProductions
2017-05-17, 01:32 PM
This.

The whole website was down for a few hours, mostly because it happened while I was on a plane, and after landing I had to fix it using a smartphone.

After MySQL failed to load, I blocked off the forums and got to work on finding the issue and fixing the databases. Site = up, forums = inaccessible.

Holy cramoly. You, sir, are a wizard.

Rockphed
2017-05-17, 07:20 PM
This.

I hope that story is good for drinks in the near future. It is rather impressive nonetheless. Thank you for your efforts!

FreddyNoNose
2017-05-17, 08:20 PM

Alter Reality spell

WarKitty
2017-05-18, 02:32 PM
This.

Seriously, if you're ever in eastern maryland I'll buy you a drink.

DemonicAngel
2017-05-18, 03:16 PM
All hail Rawhide, revivier of forums!

Qwertystop
2017-05-18, 07:05 PM
Hm. How long was the forum down? Because this thread was top-of-the-board and it's been nearly a week since it turned up.

Grey_Wolf_c
2017-05-18, 07:38 PM
Hm. How long was the forum down?

All week

GW

Fri
2017-05-18, 11:21 PM
Reminder.

http://www.giantitp.com/index.html#TzMwsJ3CcVSyluJQ2pl

That news post dated 8/3/2016 is about Rawhide as well.

Rawhide
2017-05-19, 01:53 AM
All week

GW

Not quite a full week.

danielxcutter
2017-05-19, 01:54 AM
Not quite a full week.

Close enough, which translates to the fact that you worked your ass off for almost an entire week in order to fix the problem. Thanks.

Grey_Wolf_c
2017-05-19, 07:43 AM
Not quite a full week.

In my defense, it felt like a month.

GW