PDA

View Full Version : Oh my god! We are back! It's been so torturous!

SangoProduction
2017-05-14, 07:50 PM
YES! GITP is back! Now to drudge up the 50 thread ideas that all came about when it was gone, but disappeared all of the sudden. Oh! Maybe I can see that dread necromancer guide again. That'd be helpful.

Lorddenorstrus
2017-05-14, 07:58 PM
YES! GITP is back! Now to drudge up the 50 thread ideas that all came about when it was gone, but disappeared all of the sudden. Oh! Maybe I can see that dread necromancer guide again. That'd be helpful.

It was fairly torturous. I read random crap here all the time to fill my boredom.. as I was stuck staring at the screen trying to take a break from a project.. realizing I had nothing to go to. What happened anyway?

flappeercraft
2017-05-14, 08:01 PM
Ikr, it was the worst. These forums are basically what I do for most of my free time or at least checking some old thread for ideas. Finally now that it's back I almost screamed of excitement

SangoProduction
2017-05-14, 08:02 PM
Yeah. I finally realize what WoW players went through on patch day. BUT THIS WAS FOR SOOOOOO LONG!

Bad Wolf
2017-05-14, 08:57 PM
I had no idea what to do with my life. I almost considered...going outside.

digiman619
2017-05-14, 09:00 PM
I was forced to go to reddit for my forum addiction. It's not something I'm proud of.

Palanan
2017-05-14, 09:30 PM
I hardly noticed. Too much else going on.

And I did go outside. In the rain. And loved it. :smalltongue:

flappeercraft
2017-05-14, 09:32 PM
Now that I remember, I started using a new server due to the maintenance being so long. It's called Real Life. It has crap gameplay but boi are the graphics amazing

ATHATH
2017-05-14, 09:41 PM
Huzzah!

It was fairly torturous. I read random crap here all the time to fill my boredom.. as I was stuck staring at the screen trying to take a break from a project.. realizing I had nothing to go to. What happened anyway?
Pretty much this.

SangoProduction
2017-05-14, 10:31 PM
Also, I found out just how much of a majority of the handbooks are found on GiTP.

flappeercraft
2017-05-14, 10:36 PM
Also, I found out just how much of a majority of the handbooks are found on GiTP.

Same, I was looking on every other forum and over half of the good ones are GiTP

Remuko
2017-05-14, 11:54 PM
Yeah it was bad, I was going insane. I really wish the forum had like a Twitter account or something to keep forum-goers up to date on whats going on with the forums if/when they're down when they will be back etc.

Dragolord
2017-05-15, 12:56 AM
Yeah it was bad, I was going insane. I really wish the forum had like a Twitter account or something to keep forum-goers up to date on whats going on with the forums if/when they're down when they will be back etc.

Or something in the News section, like there normally is.

Remuko
2017-05-15, 01:02 AM
Or something in the News section, like there normally is.

Yeah I didn't see anything there this time so I didn't know if there usually was or not. But I've also seen instances where the whole site was down so not even the news page was reachable.

weckar
2017-05-15, 01:49 AM
Yeah I would have liked if they had dropped something on the front page, but I'm not sure if they are able.

Inevitability
2017-05-15, 02:27 AM
Typical: forums are down during my days off, then get back on the moment I no longer have the free time for it. :smalltongue:

Firest Kathon
2017-05-15, 03:40 AM
Reason for outage: (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=21995300&postcount=24)

Server crashed, and corrupted every single database in the process to the point that MySQL wouldn't even load. That's why the rest of the site was restored much quicker.

Endarire
2017-05-15, 03:43 AM
I found other games, like Dark Souls Item Randomizer (https://www.reddit.com/r/darksouls/comments/60xu02/dark_souls_item_randomizer_v01_beta_testing/?sort=new).

death390
2017-05-15, 03:45 AM
well im glad to see this back!

Sajiri
2017-05-15, 03:55 AM
I've been sick most of the past week (had my birthday on thursday, and of course that was the day I woke up sick), havent had to work at all the past 5 days, so I've just been curled up in my chair too sick to even play games while tabbing between the same few sites thinking "I wish GiTP would just come back so I have something to read"

Bartmanhomer
2017-05-15, 07:06 AM
I'm just glad it's back online. They should've email everybody about this problem. But I don't think it matters anymore.

weckar
2017-05-15, 07:12 AM
I'm just glad it's back online. They should've email everybody about this problem. But I don't think it matters anymore.
You realize the DB was down? So they didn't have our e-mail addresses?

Bartmanhomer
2017-05-15, 07:16 AM
You realize the DB was down? So they didn't have our e-mail addresses?

What's DB mean?

weckar
2017-05-15, 07:22 AM
Sorry, Database.

Bartmanhomer
2017-05-15, 07:24 AM
Sorry, Database.

I realized that their server was down. But to didn't know that the email was connected to the server.

weckar
2017-05-15, 07:34 AM
Where else would they store it? :smallconfused:

Bartmanhomer
2017-05-15, 07:36 AM
Where else would they store it? :smallconfused:

Good point. Sorry about that. :frown:

Buufreak
2017-05-15, 08:13 AM
Yes, yes. Welcome back to all. Now lets all get back to doing what we do best:
creating god sorcerererers who totally pwn all wizhards ever.

Vizzerdrix
2017-05-15, 08:23 AM
Yes, yes. Welcome back to all. Now lets all get back to doing what we do best:
creating god sorcerererers who totally pwn all wizhards ever.

Well, anyone who can make shapesand realy.

jdizzlean
2017-05-15, 08:38 AM
I'd be interested to see the number of page hits the "forums down" page got...

Psyren
2017-05-15, 10:09 AM

Given that all the spambots were smacking into that particular windshield as much as we were, I'd guess a lot :smalltongue:

ComaVision
2017-05-15, 10:44 AM
Man, I didn't even realize how much time I spend on GitP until it was telling me I couldn't.

Lorddenorstrus
2017-05-15, 11:15 AM
Just shows as much as we argue with each other we all would go insane with out this place to talk to each other and spend our spare time.

daremetoidareyo
2017-05-15, 11:18 AM
I did so much political advocacy this week. So, it's not all bad

flappeercraft
2017-05-15, 11:20 AM
Just shows as much as we argue with each other we all would go insane with out this place to talk to each other and spend our spare time.

This is true, I was already going kind of insane. I was compulsively and constantly checking if the forums were back up every hour or so.

Telonius
2017-05-15, 11:23 AM
Last time it happened, I ended up doing 20-level character progressions (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?257889-Behold-my-Build-inator!) for the cast of Phineas and Ferb. Thankfully I had an actual campaign to prepare for this time, so stir-crazy was minimized.

Jay R
2017-05-15, 12:50 PM
No problem. I just randomly sent messages out to random strangers saying, "Your ideas are wrong. The only right way to play is my way."

GilesTheCleric
2017-05-15, 12:53 PM
I was surprised that that nobody moved over to en world or minmax (or the piazza, candle keep, tgd, or any of the other dnd forums) while the site was down. Atemu has a 3.5 reddit that seems dead, too. The main dnd reddit is such a mess that I couldn't tell if anyone was using that instead.

And, for future reference, you can use Google's cached versions of pages even if the regular site is down. The wayback machine works, too.

Elkad
2017-05-15, 01:56 PM
I was surprised that that nobody moved over to en world or minmax (or the piazza, candle keep, tgd, or any of the other dnd forums) while the site was down. Atemu has a 3.5 reddit that seems dead, too. The main dnd reddit is such a mess that I couldn't tell if anyone was using that instead.

I went by all of those. I looked at their 2 posts/day and went to the next one. Eventually I ran out of alt-boards, checked the "down" message here again, and then I read a book for a few hours.
Then I did it all again.

flappeercraft
2017-05-15, 02:01 PM
I tried using all the other sforums but it just wasn't the same thing

Âmesang
2017-05-15, 02:06 PM
To be honest I hadn't noticed things were down until last week… considering I've hardly visited since the middle of April. :smalltongue: Most of my free time has been spent either with Adventure Quest or amateur radio.

Buufreak
2017-05-15, 02:09 PM

And, for future reference, you can use Google's cached versions of pages even if the regular site is down. The wayback machine works, too.

I see those alts as I see passing fads: something to occupy 30 minutes, but inevitably bore inducing and leaving me wanting something more tried and true.

CIDE
2017-05-15, 02:13 PM
I had to actually work at work.

Elkad
2017-05-15, 02:36 PM

So did I, but handling dozens of frantic users who didn't care about system security until they saw the news reports about the WannaCry ransomware leaves plenty of time for board-surfing.
I'm just watching a jillion servers patch on the other monitor, and billing emergency rates :)

2D8HP
2017-05-16, 10:52 AM
No problem. I just randomly sent messages out to random strangers saying, "Your ideas are wrong. The only right way to play is my way."

:biggrin:

:annoyed:

I hate it when work interferes with my job!

I also really missed the Forum, I'm so glad it's back.

Cosi
2017-05-16, 10:58 AM

I mean, those forums are very different from GITP. TGD, for example, is much more focused on "game design as a theoretical exercise" than "building and optimizing characters", and the community is very different than on GITP (much more blunt, much more critical of bad design, and political discussions are allowed there). It's worth reading, but if you want a GITP substitute, it's not what you're looking for and doesn't pretend to be.

RedWarlock
2017-05-16, 01:15 PM
Minmax was my alt forum of choice, but for passive reading, it has maybe 1/20th the activity level.

Plus my reading here was stuff like Inevitability's LA adjust thread. Ongoing convos.

I was doing twice-a-day checks, on average.

atemu1234
2017-05-16, 11:24 PM
Now that I remember, I started using a new server due to the maintenance being so long. It's called Real Life. It has crap gameplay but boi are the graphics amazing

Eh, I don't know if it's just me (it's just me) but I probably need to update my graphics card, everything is blurry (read: I wear glasses, continuously, all day).

Inevitability
2017-05-17, 12:46 AM
Eh, I don't know if it's just me (it's just me) but I probably need to update my graphics card, everything is blurry (read: I wear glasses, continuously, all day).

I used to have that problem and briefly used your solution, but didn't like the blurry bars that remain at your screen's edges. Fortunately, there's a screen-filling alternative, you should try it! Lenses for the win!

weckar
2017-05-17, 04:35 AM
I used to have that problem and briefly used your solution, but didn't like the blurry bars that remain at your screen's edges. Fortunately, there's a screen-filling alternative, you should try it! Lenses for the win!

I would, but my workplace doesn't allow me to wear fishbowl goggles.

Inevitability
2017-05-17, 05:38 AM
I would, but my workplace doesn't allow me to wear fishbowl goggles.

Does it allow contact lenses? :smalltongue:

LordOfCain
2017-05-17, 05:56 AM
How long was it down? I knew that it was down but don't remember when I noticed.

zergling.exe
2017-05-17, 06:08 AM
How long was it down? I knew that it was down but don't remember when I noticed.

Tuesday at roughly 10:30 PM CDT it went down. Came back up Sunday sometime in the afternoon. So around 5 days.

weckar
2017-05-17, 06:11 AM
Does it allow contact lenses? :smalltongue:
Probably, but my personal sense of self-preservation by not putting objects in my eyes may take issue:smalltongue:

Inevitability
2017-05-17, 07:25 AM
Probably, but my personal sense of self-preservation by not putting objects in my eyes may take issue:smalltongue:

I used to feel that way about it as well, then I actually tried them. Having a barely noticeable piece of plastic pressed against my cornea was definitely preferable to limited vision, steamed up glasses, and outgrowing my eyewear.

I use soft lenses, though, so that might've helped me overcome my aversions.

Quertus
2017-05-17, 11:42 AM

Link plz.

Well, from me, three times a day, plus a few extra for showing my friends the cause of my distress.

Link plz.

Those other sites just... don't do it for me.

atemu1234
2017-05-17, 08:17 PM

I'm still surprised people on this site remember me, and even more surprised that that subreddit I created is still remembered. I should check in on that more often, come to think of it, as I am the only moderator.

Coretron03
2017-05-17, 10:48 PM
I mean, those forums are very different from GITP. TGD, for example, is much more focused on "game design as a theoretical exercise" than "building and optimizing characters", and the community is very different than on GITP (much more blunt, much more critical of bad design, and political discussions are allowed there). It's worth reading, but if you want a GITP substitute, it's not what you're looking for and doesn't pretend to be.

That reminds me, Cosi, do you have a account on TGD? I swear some of the stuff I read there is simliar to some stuff you say.

On topic, It felt much longer then 5 Days. I probably checked 2-3 times a day, plus a couple more times when I tried to click on a GiTP thread like a guide.